Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Not trying to brag against the rest of you having lovely experiences with amazon, but just to give a different take, my 3DAS pre-order shipped Tuesday, was in my hands by 10AM this morning. So, it seem highly dependent on your location and luck.

edit: what a horrendous snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone unlocked Galaxy 2 by getting every Mcguffin in every game yet?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bestbuy shipped out my game yesterday afternoon. This morning it said it was picked up at 9pm yesterday, and was expected today.

It has not arrived and there has been no updates to the tracker. Guess I'm waiting to monday. Boo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

3d supa Mario 2 pleez

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Father Wendigo posted:

'So Long Gay Bowser' removed from SMAS3D

WHAT THE gently caress?!

I'm buying a scalped preorder recipt off of Ebay JUST SO I CAN CANCEL IT. :argh:

It's from the Japanese shindou version which removed the line because he isn't called Bowser there

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Volte posted:

Where did this "So long, King Bowser" nonsense come from? It only takes one listen to hear that's clearly not what he's supposed to be saying. It's either "So long, eh Bowser?" with the hard g on "long" or "So long-a, Bowser".

It’s “So long, gay Bowser” OP.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't love the Wing Cap

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

they say their names the other way around in Japan and they didn't want to pay charles martinet to rerecord "so long, gay Doug"

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Nintendo is smart enough to use Mario Galaxy 2 for another release. Thats right, they’re a business with shareholders and board members, with expectations on profits and quarterly earnings.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what’s a business

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Augus posted:

what’s a business

Not-a much, what’s-a business with-a you?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Would not recommend playing a lot of Odyssey before 3DAS.

The controls in Odyssey are just so refined relative to 3 games that were made for vastly different controllers that it’s a tough transition.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mahoning posted:

Would not recommend playing a lot of Odyssey before 3DAS.

The controls in Odyssey are just so refined relative to 3 games that were made for vastly different controllers that it’s a tough transition.

I agree.

Thoughts:

I'd played some of SM64DS before but never the original. The camera didn't really exist at that point so it is excusable sort of. The movement is janky as all hell. Everything feels like Mario is moving on ice. I'm certain that other games from the time period had smoother controls. It's really disappointing that Nintendo just ported this rather than update it a bit. OTOH, if this did have smooth controls and a normal camera it seems like it would be incredibly easy. The hardest part is fighting with the controls, for me.

SMS I'd played a bit on GC and hated the camera so I tried it in Dolphin because I could invert the camera to a proper control scheme. But it still wasn't great. I played for a bit today and began getting annoyed with buildings that would block me from view. Once again, it would have been nice had Nintendo fixed the game a bit rather than a straight port.

SMG, I haven't played yet. But from what I have read it isn't improved either. I'm not looking forward to collecting star bits.

Alas, Nintendo really did a bad job here. It's great that these games are available to play on the switch. It's a travesty that Nintendo but basically no effort into refining these games for the modern generation.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I definitely spent way less time with Sunshine than the other games and it's weird as hell that there's no long jump in this game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm certain that other games from the time period had smoother controls.

They really, really didn’t.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Croc had tank controls lmao

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They really, really didn’t.

Have you played doom?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you played doom?

Doom is a fantastic game but everything it did involving platforming wad fuckin' awful

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you played doom?

Yes

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So when do you unlock the ability to pet Cerberus' other heads? Is it paid dlc?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SMG is 3D platforming perfection. Odyssey could have beaten it because it also feels like a dream to play, however the level design in Odyssey is nowhere near the genius that is Galaxy/2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

So when do you unlock the ability to pet Cerberus' other heads? Is it paid dlc?

They do not like being petted. Please respect doggo

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Biggest thing with going back to og Mario 64 after who knows how long is that I didn't remember inclined surfaces being so loving dangerous. You look at one the wrong way and Mario immediately does a pratfall and goes rocketing off the level.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
was gonna get annoyed about having no way to track secret castle stars til i learned there's only 15. my brain can probably just retain that

guessing there'll be no such luck with sunshine's blue coins

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
god, nintendo are assholes about artificial scarcity, huh?

smart bastards knew that'd just make me want it more, ugh

I had to go to two different stores, but I managed to snag the last copy at target, and only because it got accidentally mis-shelved and wasn't with the rest of the copies

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My Target order said it would be delayed until Oct. 2 so I cancelled that and got it from Walmart instead.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Gamestop sent me an email saying I'd get All-Stars on Monday.
It arrived today.
No idea what is going on there, but I'm about to smoosh Mario's face for 20 minutes until my son stops laughing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SM64 has a lot more sounds of men grunting than I’d remembered and they’re all much much louder than I’d thought

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i assume you're in Whomp's Fortress. i can't think of much grunting outside of it though.

Bob-omb speech sound effect is a straight dose of nostalgia though. it's a testament to mario 64 that i didn't intend to really play it tonight, just started it up to give it a quick whirl and see how it was

i'm now 30 stars in

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I feel bad for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw 'cause I had some interest in that game and genre but then Mariooo, Hades, new Magic set and I guess that Mythgard game all happened at once and now I have many more games than time.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The heat ripple effect in sunshine is driving me crazy! It was probably a lot less noticeable when the game was SD instead of HD. I understand that the island is supposed to be warm but having literally everything more than 20 feet away ripple like you're looking into a fish tank was a bad choice

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

i assume you're in Whomp's Fortress. i can't think of much grunting outside of it

Mario grunts when he bumps walls (which is constant)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the water pump controls aren't nearly as noticeable as I'd thought, but I'm not a fan of the first-person button change or the camera inverting. every time I go into first person mode I end up looking at the sky by mistake

also, annoyingly, despite the fact that the joycons have remappable buttons, I can't remap things how I like because it needs A & B to both be options, and both of those are the jump button. :argh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah I did not remember Mario being so slippery. It's night and day going from that to Galaxy but Galaxy is nowhere near the flexibility and coolness of Odyssey. Doesn't help that I got used to crouching with my right hand I guess, now that's been taken over by the pointer emulation.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Gelato Beach in Sunshine has these bigass mirrors that you fight on, and you can knock the mirrors around, and they reflect the sun, sky, and clouds perfectly... I can't think of another video game with mirrors as interactive and impressive! It's really extraordinary knowthing they did this in the gamecube era.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Blaziken386 posted:

if you dive against a wall he bonks off, if you jump into a wall he slides down, even if you spinjump

Ah, good to know

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I really hope this on only-available-for-a-six-month-window thing doesn't become more common. I normally only buy games that I want to play these days, but the limited time only thing got me to pick up 3D All-Stars just 'cause I know I want to play Galaxy _eventually_, but maybe not immediately.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Gelato Beach in Sunshine has these bigass mirrors that you fight on, and you can knock the mirrors around, and they reflect the sun, sky, and clouds perfectly... I can't think of another video game with mirrors as interactive and impressive! It's really extraordinary knowthing they did this in the gamecube era.

The reflections were rendered at a much lower resolution on the GC but it was still really impressive back then

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dabir posted:

Yeah I did not remember Mario being so slippery. It's night and day going from that to Galaxy but Galaxy is nowhere near the flexibility and coolness of Odyssey. Doesn't help that I got used to crouching with my right hand I guess, now that's been taken over by the pointer emulation.

i think mario always runs around like he's on an oil slick in every game. dude needs shoes with tread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wish Mario 3D World was out right now instead of All Stars - I'm getting really keen to play some Mario with friends