Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blaziken386 posted:

when the direct came out i realized i never got around to finishing xenoblade 2

i have since been unable to stop playing it
xenoblade, good
follow up on this: i just got to the spider cave part and i can feel all of my goodwill rapidly draining towards this game

why the gently caress do developers insist on making spider caves

e: lovely snipe, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Blaziken386 posted:

it's ok, really.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I also want to thank whatever goon said that the slots in 3D World were a rhythm game, it immediately clicked for me when I read that and now I can consistently get 4 cherries every time for a sweet 777 coins.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Play it with a friend. It's a completely different experience.

Been playing it coop with my brother and it’s been a blast. So if we miss any stars or stamps I go back in solo when he’s off playing something on his pc to clean up and yeah it’s tough not having the immediate spawns lol.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also want to thank whatever goon said that the slots in 3D World were a rhythm game, it immediately clicked for me when I read that and now I can consistently get 4 cherries every time for a sweet 777 coins.

I have no rhythm, any tips?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

What’s DLSS and how significant of a power boost is it my dream scenario would be that it would at least be powerful enough to run new fighting games on it.

It's a "power boost" in that you can achieve 4k basically for free. It doesn't suddenly make a bad looking game look great but it does mean a game can run much, much better than you'd expect. Keep in mind PS4 games sometimes gave you the choice between 4k 30 fps, and 1080p 60 fps - with DLSS 4k 60 fps becomes achievable.

Red Warrior posted:

I'd be cautious of anyone proclaiming the Switch Pro will have DLSS specifically rather than just an AI derived upscaling routine. DLSS requires a lot of high end graphics cores. Big, expensive, power hungry.

I think whatever might be in a supposedly Switch Pro would be closer to the AI upscaling Nvidia developed to upscale video for its Shield TVs. A more tailored upscaling algorithm built on that tech to upscale games with lower latency than the general video upscaling has.

Less exciting but better to go into the thing with lower expectations :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

follow up on this: i just got to the spider cave part and i can feel all of my goodwill rapidly draining towards this game

It's thankfully quite short iirc and the stuff after is great.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was so mind blowing to me that I had to fire up SMB3 and check to see if it works there too and I've been making it harder than it needs to be my whole life.

(It does not work in SMB3.)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Social Animal posted:

Been playing it coop with my brother and it’s been a blast. So if we miss any stars or stamps I go back in solo when he’s off playing something on his pc to clean up and yeah it’s tough not having the immediate spawns lol.

I have no rhythm, any tips?

The first beat in the loop is a cherry. There are 3 of them and then one that sounds a bit different (but still works) so I generally wait for the loop to start again on the next bit.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
You can also use the cat form to swipe 2 blocks at a time so they will always be the same.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

2 - you don't lose stars/stamps when you die.

Wait, WHAT???
gently caress THAT.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I am about 35 hours in and think I might beat it tonight. I remember seeing a bunch of comments like "The dungeons are soooo long!" before I picked it up. I was worried I would be slogging through dozens of similar dungeons with little to no reward. Fortunately I didn't find that at all. The dungeons are meaty, but there are only a handful of them. Dungeons are used to teach you the ins and outs of new elements, since each provides a whole new skill tree for you to pump points into.

Most enemies aren't aggressive, so you can usually run around and explore each area to your content. Which is good, because there are a LOT of hidden paths and ways to get around in search of chests and new areas.

I would agree that it's a pretty comfy game.

You picked an incredible time to play it because the epilogue dlc comes out like tomorrow

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Blaziken386 posted:

because spiders are cool and good

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Started playing 3D World last night. I had completely 100%’d it when it came out on Wii U - it’s one of my favorite games of all time.

Like some others mentioned, the speed changes are throwing me off. I ended up flying off the side of the first level. Still love it though. Such a great game.

I just finished NSMBU Deluxe right before starting 3D World and it’s like night and day how much more charming 3D World is. Plus the music doesn’t suck.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just started playing NSMBU Deluxe and sometimes it feels like the hit boxes are too precise? I am getting hit by touching the front of enemies faces when I feel I am jumping on their heads. Other games would sorta treat this as me killing them but I am constantly getting hosed. I am using Luigi so unsure if that is loving me up. Neat game though.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

spiders are our friends

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait, WHAT???
gently caress THAT.

It makes the game better imo, especially now that it’s so much easier to sprint off the side of a level. It also makes it feel like more of a true mix of 2D and 3D Mario because you don’t lose stars/moons/shines when you die in a 3D Mario. Once you touch them they’re yours.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait, WHAT???
gently caress THAT.

It does make it so much easier. Star that you're supposed to do a jump down to and then wall jump out? Meh. Float down, take the death and move on.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sad Panda posted:

It does make it so much easier. Star that you're supposed to do a jump down to and then wall jump out? Meh. Float down, take the death and move on.

Yeah, that’s what makes it a bad change in my opinion, the stars and stamps were all originally designed with getting them and surviving being part of the challenge.

Personally I just grabbed them again until I earned it for real, but it feels a little sad when there’s just a grey ghost instead of a real pickup.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyp29PwGXs

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Really wish this was originally the case, 'cause I can't really justify double dipping.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

no release date..... despicable

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

You picked an incredible time to play it because the epilogue dlc comes out like tomorrow

Welp, I was trying to wrap up the game to make way for Bravely Default 2 on Friday. I'd be down for more CrossCode though. I figured the DLC would take a lot longer to hit consoles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's not hitting consoles tomorrow. PC gets it on the 26th.

Console release will likely be summer

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 23, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not hitting consoles tomorrow. PC gets it on the 26th.

Console release will likely be summer

Ah I thought it was day and date with consoles, my bad.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm tired of shuffling downloaded games to the library so I'm upgrading to a bigger SD card (especially since P5 Strikers comes out today). Are my save files all on the Switch's hardware so all I will have to do is redownload the games if I just swap out the SD card? I know I'll have to get my screen shots I want to save off of the old one somehow but I'm not really bothered by that. I just don't want to screw up any save files.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Save files are always kept on the internal storage, yeah

The SD card is only used for game installs and screenshots/videos

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

repiv posted:

Save files are always kept on the internal storage, yeah

The SD card is only used for game installs and screenshots/videos

Great, thanks!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Bleck posted:

Really wish this was originally the case, 'cause I can't really justify double dipping.

I will do it on your behalf, I will triple dip on the only game I've ever wanted on the only console I've ever wanted. I will buy a digital copy in case I ever lose my physical copy, and I will buy a physical copy in case the eShop ever goes offline, and I will spend the next thirty years playing God's perfect game on God's perfect console

edit: pleased to announce my retirement from all other videogames so that I can spend more time with my family and friends, such as Tony Hawk and other various professional skaters

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 23, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought THPS1+2 on PC (I don't own a PC) because I wanted to play it with keyboard controls (I'm a freak) and then just never played it because I was too lazy to deal with dual booting on my iMac.

I won't be buying it on Switch however.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I don't have the same nostalgia for THPS games, but I'll get it because I know it's good. It's either that or Skatebird. Lol Tiny Hawk.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wish me luck, I just ordered replacement sticks for my kid's Lite.

Which even with the drift I wouldn't need if you could actually calibrate. The calibration screen does nothing. The calibration screen shows where it thinks the such 5 is! Why can't I just press a button and say "make this position neutral"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wish me luck, I just ordered replacement sticks for my kid's Lite.

Which even with the drift I wouldn't need if you could actually calibrate. The calibration screen does nothing. The calibration screen shows where it thinks the such 5 is! Why can't I just press a button and say "make this position neutral"

I did a switch lite stick replacement myself a month or so ago. Depending on your skill level, the difficulty is anywhere between a pain in the rear end and a nightmare. If you’ve done this already on a joycon, it’s very similar yet harder in places. There’s a lot more screws to undo and they have different lengths. Label where they go and separate them from each other to avoid mixing it up. Hardest part for me was popping the case off without cracking it. I hosed that up and chipped the side of mine. Doesn’t affect its usage but it’s annoying cosmetic damage. I used the I Fixit guide, the steps were pretty clear.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I just beat Blood Will Be Spilled, drat my completionism. Do not get this game. It's broken and rather glitchy aside from not being good. It's a Steamworld Heist clone but it only took the battle mechanics and that's it. You don't recruit any other units until the dead end of the game, and they hardly count. You're stuck between choosing 3 classes but you have little idea how they finish (I actually bothered to to get far enough through each one to see all the skills: The Good gives you a skill that lets you attack 3x in one turn, the Bad lets you have put a target on an enemy so that they're targeted instead (you're still targetable, I didn't actually unlock it so I'm unsure how it works), The Ugly, lets you build an explosive decoy). The Good is probably the best class since it removes the turn cost for reloading and has the bounce mechanic from Heist, though the Bad does give you a very useful piercing skill.

That said it's often just you versus 5+ enemies and it's very slow and dull. The world is a cliché Western, and the use of insects is inspired but poorly done overall, with most characters being bees, ants, or flies of some sort.

It's bad. I don't know if it'll improve, and it leaves you with a cliffhanger of a "true" boss, and maybe I need to be completionist to get that fight, but I know drat well it's not worth it. I already wasted enough time on it.

---

So now I can choose between Pikmin 3, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, or 3D All Stars. I should do the first but my general anxiety about Pikmin is creeping back, so I'm leaning Rogue for some just nice easy collectathon.

Suggestions?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
gently caress Pikmin, Marry Mario, Kill Assassins Creed

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

romanowski posted:

spiders are our friends

You should be against spider caves then because they're about killing them!!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

drat that's a good trailer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah because it exclusively features School II, the best level in THPS history.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Do the remakes retain the original soundtrack?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

Do the remakes retain the original soundtrack?

Most of the good tracks. One or two couldn’t get licensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They also added a bunch of new tracks so it's pretty nice. All of the "big" THPS songs imo made it back.