Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fridge corn posted:

The switch is a portable

only until your joycons start drifting, then it's a console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

I said come in! posted:

Bummer, but that is okay! Apparently cross platform play is available? So hopefully it will be easy to find matches.

Correct, with the PS4 currently.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Release Turok Rage Wars you cowards, it was great multiplayer.

It ain't out of cowardice. We can't find the source code for it at all, and thus if we were to do it we'd be looking at having to recreate the entire game.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 24, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Augus posted:

I mean technically you could say it's a portable console but I think we all know what the distinction being made was

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah why would I play the switch docked unless it's a first party game?

Everything runs better and is cheaper on other consoles, and a lot of games simply aren't available on switch

Sometimes it's nice to have the bigger screen but the game boy factor is way cooler imo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah why would I play the switch docked unless it's a first party game?

Everything runs better and is cheaper on other consoles, and a lot of games simply aren't available on switch

Sometimes it's nice to have the bigger screen but the game boy factor is way cooler imo

Docked for when at home, portable for on the go or laying in bed.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Docked for when at home, portable for on the go or laying in bed.

I think forums poster KingSlime is talking about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5HPNW2I4Bw

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Switch is a sandwich.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

only if playing handheld

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Len posted:

only if playing handheld

the default dock also sandwiches it, just on a different axis

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

but is it a dine-in sandwich or a sandwich to go?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A docked Switch is a gangbang.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

you're thinking of the nintendo ds

the nintendo switch is a pizza

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Are nintendo switches still picky about USB-C chargers bricking them? I got a launch one and I was wondering if I could use my Macbook USB-C charger with it.

I remember horror stories of the USB-C charging port not working after using third party chargers. I remember this because a problem again when third party docks came out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Red Minjo posted:

the default dock also sandwiches it, just on a different axis

oh poo poo you're right

although that's more of a hot dog?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rabid Snake posted:

Are nintendo switches still picky about USB-C chargers bricking them? I got a launch one and I was wondering if I could use my Macbook USB-C charger with it.

I remember horror stories of the USB-C charging port not working after using third party chargers. I remember this because a problem again when third party docks came out
I'm pretty sure all chargers are fine. The issue was with a small number of 3rd party docks that hosed up the "charge while also outputting video" part of the dock.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Don't try to power the dock with anything but the official power supply, but if you're plugging straight into the Switch itself you can charge it with whatever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Correct, with the PS4 currently.

It ain't out of cowardice. We can't find the source code for it at all, and thus if we were to do it we'd be looking at having to recreate the entire game.

Does Turok 3 have the same unfortunate lost source code tale?

(I liked T3 :( )

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If it has save points its noob poo poo.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Squiddycat posted:

Does Turok 3 have the same unfortunate lost source code tale?

(I liked T3 :( )

Unsure yet but we have our concerns. We were lucky enough with Turok2's, it turned out to be a version sometime before their launch code.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Switch is a drink.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Well, I guess that I just now learned that Turok 3 wasn't Turok 3: Rage Wars. I played Rage Wars and the actual Turok 3 is a game subtitled Shadow of Oblivion that I've never seen before even though I was sure I'd played it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Switch is Will Smiths worst song

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Lol I think my second left joy con is starting to drift. I should sell this poo poo for an Xbox.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Oblivion confirmed for Switch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Switch is Will Smiths worst song

Not Wild wild West?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Played Bowser's fury. Its good.

Not sure the fury mechanic needs to come back in full force as it did lead to a bit of waitng around for it to trigger and I could have done without fire beam attack interupting actual tricky platforming sections. Its fine when the camera is focusing on bowser but a lot if the time it just felt like I had no way to avoid it as it would just appear from off camera.

The open structure was neat and I appreciated ths Sunshine callbacks. The way the islands would update with new enemies and challenges was cool, a nice compomise between the individual star structure of 64 and Sunshine and the more open Odyssey. It being built on 3D world was interesting, we haven't really had an open 3D mario with classic powerups before, although for the most part it was just a counter of how many catsuits I had on me. I think there were maybe three places the boomerang was useful? Cat suit is too good I guess.

I feel like the 3D world engine's camera was a tad more limiting than I'd liked, I often found I couldn't angle the camera as far up or down as I'd like. Even the photo mode felt restricted. That one floating island star was a pain because despite chasing the icon on the map I couldn't look up high enough to spot it for ages.

The bowser fights were pretty easy once I realised how powerful throwing stuff was. Hell the rolling sideways and shell stomp moves were seemingly defeated just by having a rock in your hands. I did really enjoy the ending chase sequence though, the harder 100 shine one looked pretty tough but it was a blast to dive and jump a perfect line between the obstacles.

I like bowser Jr as a companion. Seems much more fun than cappy was for player 2 and I'll admit to taping a few enemies I didn't want to deal with on the touch screen even though I turned his help off pretty much immediately otherwise.

I also appreciated how despite being an add-on to a game where everything was already excessively cat themed they still managed to put additional cat ears and whiskers on just about everything.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

American McGay posted:

BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

NTHGTHDYGDCRTDTRK

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

I think forums poster KingSlime is talking about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5HPNW2I4Bw

It must take a lot of work to have worse load times than a PS4

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Relevant Tangent posted:

Release Turok Rage Wars you cowards, it was great multiplayer.

I liked all the random custom options in that game.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Does anybody actually genuinely know if the Zelda joy cons went up for preorder at some point in North America? I'd been watching for them pretty closely but never saw any hint of them actually going up for sale yet anywhere. It seems to me like a handful of individuals and news sites are misinterpreting the "out of stock" placeholder listings on the major store sites to mean that scalpers snapped them up, but that may actually be true. Just curious if anyone was aware. I had been holding off on getting a new pair for a cool version to eventually come along and it would be a huge bummer if they went down the Nintendo scarcity route with these.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Does anybody actually genuinely know if the Zelda joy cons went up for preorder at some point in North America? I'd been watching for them pretty closely but never saw any hint of them actually going up for sale yet anywhere. It seems to me like a handful of individuals and news sites are misinterpreting the "out of stock" placeholder listings on the major store sites to mean that scalpers snapped them up, but that may actually be true. Just curious if anyone was aware. I had been holding off on getting a new pair for a cool version to eventually come along and it would be a huge bummer if they went down the Nintendo scarcity route with these.

Pretty sure they went up for preorder a couple days ago at least at Target, possibly Best Buy and Gamestop as well.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dip Viscous posted:

Well, I guess that I just now learned that Turok 3 wasn't Turok 3: Rage Wars. I played Rage Wars and the actual Turok 3 is a game subtitled Shadow of Oblivion that I've never seen before even though I was sure I'd played it.

I think Rage Wars came out after Turok 2 and before Turok 3. So you were right to assume it was the 3rd Turok game

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mr Phillby posted:

Played Bowser's fury. Its good.

Not sure the fury mechanic needs to come back in full force as it did lead to a bit of waitng around for it to trigger

You can trigger it with the Bowser Amiibo if you have it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Gumdrop Larry posted:

You can create an alert here:

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/nintendoswitchaccessories/

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I almost posted to this thread when they popped on Target but by the time I pre ordered mine and went to post they were already sold out. Just happened to be on twitter when the alert popped. just set up alerts like other posters mentioned.

This is my third pair of joy cons. My first came with the switch, my second were a weird fluke at Walmart when they were only $25 for the green pink ones, and now these, at full price.

I play 95% docked, but... Zelda.

(chances they come out with a new Zelda themed switch and I buy it this year? 70%).

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Currently making my way through The Talos Principle and it's real good. The puzzles are satisfying and the difficulty progresses in a nice way. There's not often a hard roadblock to the game progression, so if you're stuck on a puzzle, there's probably another area that you can get the thing you need instead.

It plays really nicely on Switch, looks quite pretty, and the setting is serene (mostly). My main criticism is that there is a LOT of text to read (and is a little annoying to scroll through on my TV).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

repiv posted:

Some raw footage of THPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL19wvWwbq4

They dropped it to 30fps, resolution looks okay at least

Oh hey this looks and runs good enough on switch will definitely pick this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Augus posted:

Then you buy $20 worth of maintenance supplies and spend 15 minutes cleaning the joycons. After that, it's a portable again.