Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cartoon Man posted:

"Something awful is all about crushing people’s hopes and dreams and making them feel foolish for having them in the first place."

post avatar, etc.

Thanks, Skeletor. :tipshat:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W799J2A1Vbw

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mister Facetious posted:

Nothing wrong with building up a game they want to exist. That's what hopes and dreams are, after all.
Your hopes are in direct opposition to my hopes and must be destroyed :colbert:

Really though, there's a difference between wishing a game existed—a totally normal thing—and being mad that a direct sequel to an existing game isn't a completely different game in a different genre. Like if someone really wishes there was an open-world Mario GTA-style game with street racing, but gets upset when Mario Kart 9 is announced and it's still a closed-circuit track game and not an open-world driving game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Help me out here. I'm looking for a walking/hiking simulator. I basically want Breath of the Wild but I don't want to double dip on it since I already have it on the Wii U. I just want to hike around, forage for food and maybe ride a horse or something. I looked at Windbound but that seems a little punishing for the relatively chill experience I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Walla posted:

Help me out here. I'm looking for a walking/hiking simulator. I basically want Breath of the Wild but I don't want to double dip on it since I already have it on the Wii U. I just want to hike around, forage for food and maybe ride a horse or something. I looked at Windbound but that seems a little punishing for the relatively chill experience I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

i haven't played it but the video game 'a short hike' is well spoken of itt

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Volte posted:

Your hopes are in direct opposition to my hopes and must be destroyed :colbert:

Really though, there's a difference between wishing a game existed—a totally normal thing—and being mad that a direct sequel to an existing game isn't a completely different game in a different genre. Like if someone really wishes there was an open-world Mario GTA-style game with street racing, but gets upset when Mario Kart 9 is announced and it's still a closed-circuit track game and not an open-world driving game.

Won't lie, I'd be fine with either of those. :dance:

Gimme more Mario Kart Nintendo!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Walla posted:

Any suggestions?

It’s not a walking simulator, but this game is the best BOTW clone out there.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/21723089/immortals-fenyx-rising-review-ubisoft-pc-ps4-ps5-switch-stadia-xbox-one-series-x

There is another game called Genshin Impact...but it’s an awful free to play anime titty gacha game that will try and hook you through predatory gambling micro transactions. Also some goon is now gonna come in here and say I’m completely wrong and that you can absolutely play it F2P with no issues and it’s amazing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Walla posted:

Any suggestions?

Have you heard of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

Any suggestions?

Firewatch, but it's got a linear narrative. There's more plot to it but A Short Hike is pretty phenomenal.

Again, there's easy plot moments to get through, but the Assassin's Creed IV bundle is pretty good for that. Again slightly different genre, but undoubtedly one of the chillest games (if you can deal with not caring about stamina) is Stardew Valley. Um... otherwise the evergreen Minecraft offers just that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/21723089/immortals-fenyx-rising-review-ubisoft-pc-ps4-ps5-switch-stadia-xbox-one-series-x

There is another game called Genshin Impact...but it’s an awful free to play anime titty gacha game that will try and hook you through predatory gambling micro transactions. Also some goon is now gonna come in here and say I’m completely wrong and that you can absolutely play it F2P with no issues and it’s amazing.

that's just the gacha cycle. goons fall for it every time a new one drops "it's so good it doesn't want my money!" and then after like three months, oh wait it actually does in fact want your money

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I love Genshin, but it really isn't what the OP is looking for. There are some cool places to explore, but the game focuses heavily on grinding different things and combat, not having a relaxing hike and seeing neat things.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Nothing wrong with building up a game they want to exist. That's what hopes and dreams are, after all.

Ah, a Star Citizen fan

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

stev posted:

Have you heard of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Maybe it's because I recently got back to playing this on Switch, but Skyrim was going to be my first suggestion. It's so nice to just roam around and explore.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Len posted:

that's just the gacha cycle. goons fall for it every time a new one drops "it's so good it doesn't want my money!" and then after like three months, oh wait it actually does in fact want your money

I have an idiot friend who refuses to admit she is a whale but she spends 600 bucks on that game, monthly

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m on like the fifth chapter of Astral Chain... what’s with all the junk I keep picking up? It says in their descriptions that they can be recycled, is there some place to do that later? Or am I supposed to sell them? More money for upgrades would be nice...

This messed me up too! You have to sell all that stuff at a vending machine. I was drowning in cash after. If only I'd known!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I have an idiot friend who refuses to admit she is a whale but she spends 600 bucks on that game, monthly

I’ve never played Genshin and absolutely refuse to, but I’ve been addicted to other gacha games. $600 a month is usually not whale territory. $6,000 a month is closer but it depends on the game.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Firewatch, but it's got a linear narrative.

Doesn't it have a free roaming mode?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I bounced hard off Skyrim. A Short Hike looks amazing so I'll probably get that.

Honestly I'll probably end up buying BotW again.

Edit: And thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve never played Genshin and absolutely refuse to, but I’ve been addicted to other gacha games. $600 a month is usually not whale territory. $6,000 a month is closer but it depends on the game.

This poo poo really needs to be fully illegal yesterday.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

stev posted:

This poo poo really needs to be fully illegal yesterday.

Yes

https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/6/8/17435980/final-fantasy-brave-exvius-gambling-addiction-gacha

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
An open world Pokémon Snap would be amazing but it would also be a much larger undertaking. I’m not sure it is really comparable to a rail shooter. It would also probably bleed over too much into the mainline series. I’m sure if we get an open world Pokémon it’ll be either an MMO or a mainline game for a console.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

I’m sure if we get an open world Pokémon it’ll be either an MMO or a mainline game for a console.

Such as the one that was announced yesterday?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: New Pokémon Snap

The reason the game is on rails is because it's supposed to resemble a photographic safari where you stay in a car on a defined path and take pictures of wild animals in their natural habitat, staying on the track like a kiddie roller coaster full of giraffes and hippos.

Compare this to general wildlife photography where you spend hours camped in one spot trying to see the proper plumage spread of a bird. Remember that Sword and Shield video where the camera just sat in one spot in the forest and we saw Galarian Ponyta twice in like 4 hours? And how everyone complained at what a waste of time it was? That's what an open-world Pokémon Snap would be like.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Am I blind or are there no stamps in the Mushroom and Flower worlds in SM3DW? I’m almost through the Flower levels and I’ve gotten 3 stars for each level I’ve done, but there’s no stamp outline in any of these levels.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There aren't any stamps in those worlds, no. The last few you're missing are in World Crown, and five extras for beating every stage with each character.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kassad posted:

Doesn't it have a free roaming mode?

I did not know this! Guess what I'll be booting up (I only have it on Steam boo!)

You still have to beat the game though, that's easily done.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Pokémon Snap is just as much of an on rails shooter as Punch Out is a boxing game.

I remember it being very much like a puzzle game where you had to memorize the chain of events you had to set off to get the Pokémon to do stuff so you could snap a photo. Where you played those levels multiple times to figure it out and get the photos you needed. It’s not the type of game you play through once like most on rail shooters where you beat it and seen all there is that the game offers.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

repiv posted:

There aren't any stamps in those worlds, no. The last few you're missing are in World Crown, and five extras for beating every stage with each character.

Wow sounds like I’m not getting every stamp then, I don’t think I have the patience to grind through every level with all the characters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regy Rusty posted:

Such as the one that was announced yesterday?

Is that not basically open world the same way Sword and Shield were? Either way I very much doubt it'll be anything near the scale people want, since it's clearly a side game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you want a deeper photography game just play umurangi generation

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Wow sounds like I’m not getting every stamp then, I don’t think I have the patience to grind through every level with all the characters.

If you've got multiple controllers you can apparently join with them just before the end and then when you hit the flag it'll tick each of them off. Not doing this myself. I'd have to beat champions road at some point!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

If you have four controllers it’s pretty easy. Just connect them all at the end and throw all the extra characters on the flag

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Procrastine posted:

Ah, a Star Citizen fan

No, I'm not religious.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Takoluka posted:

Remember that Sword and Shield video where the camera just sat in one spot in the forest and we saw Galarian Ponyta twice in like 4 hours? And how everyone complained at what a waste of time it was? That's what an open-world Pokémon Snap would be like.

yeah and it would be rad as hell next question

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Stop trying to ruin Pokemon games for children. Just give them fun and short experiences, not massive worlds where they get lost, give up and play something else.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

What about Fatal Frame? There hasn't been a new one since the WiiU, right?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
You all need to Pokemon Snap into a Slim Jim

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

PowerBeard posted:

Stop trying to ruin Pokemon games for children. Just give them fun and short experiences, not massive worlds where they get lost, give up and play something else.

Yeag, kids hate massive worlds and lots of options.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

You all need to Pokemon Snap into a Slim Jim

Gonna accidentally Pokemon Snap your Switch into a vase because you're using gyro aim to take pictures. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

PowerBeard posted:

As a parent lol nope. My kid will get good and familiar with one game just like I did.