Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Muk Dumpster posted:

Switch is still selling like crazy, why kill that momentum

Not being creatively bankrupt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's creatively bankrupt for Nintendo to not release a slightly more powerful version of the Switch.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Waltzing Along posted:

Not being creatively bankrupt?

Wait how many pixels have to display to make one creatively solvent?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait how many pixels have to display to make one creatively solvent?

8k ultra widescreen :wotwot:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Muk Dumpster posted:

Switch is still selling like crazy, why kill that momentum
Hardware momentum can stop at any time. History has shown it's better to release an upgrade/replacement too early than too late.

A LOT can happen between now and 2022. Let alone 2023.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hardware momentum can stop at any time. History has shown it's better to release an upgrade/replacement too early than too late.

We're announcing today that we're releasing a new version in six months!

...Hey where did our subsequent six months of hardware sales go? :confused:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure this is why Sony and Nintendo have traditionally announced that they've stopped production on the current model 9 months in advance.

And that's why there won't be a Switch Pro until either the end of '22, or sometime in '23.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

punk rebel ecks posted:

I dunno, the way pretty much nothing has happened for the last 4 years of the switch doesn't make me think a lot can happen between now and 2023.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
someone, please, tell me more about how a switch pro is definitely coming

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bleck posted:

Why do you think Nintendo has been holding back their trump cards?

- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- Metroid Prime 4
- Pikmin 4
- Breath of the Wild 2
- Mario Kart 9 Ultimate
- Star Fox 3
- F-Zero 2 DX

ALL OF THEM ON LAUNCH DAY FOR THEIR NEW CONSOLE!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

elden ring will be a switch pro launch title. you heard it here first

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The switch pro might be as powerful as an original bone. Maybe. Doubtful.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This.

Its on track to sell more than the wii, why would they gently caress that up? Maybe if it starts dipping but why now

night slime
May 14, 2014
The Switch Pro will be a revival of the Wii U concept where you can use your original Switch to mirror the always-docked Pro gameplay on the screen. :tinfoil:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bleck posted:

Nintendo console cycles are about ~5 years and Switch will be approaching that within a year :shrug: (alternatively their handheld mid cycle bumps are around 3-4 years I think?)

Also the only way to play Pokemon Legends at more than 15fps.

Mister Facetious posted:

Why do you think Nintendo has been holding back their trump cards?

- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- Metroid Prime 4
- Pikmin 4
- Breath of the Wild 2
- Mario Kart 9 Ultimate
- Star Fox 3
- F-Zero 2 DX

ALL OF THEM ON LAUNCH DAY FOR THEIR NEW CONSOLE!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!
...I'd buy it even if F-Zero was the only exclusive. Then probably end up playing a shitload of Rocket League still.

night slime posted:

The Switch Pro will be a revival of the Wii U concept where you can use your original Switch to mirror the always-docked Pro gameplay on the screen. :tinfoil:
Put a streaming receiver in the dock for a reverse Wii U.

Switch DS bundled with Nintendo Land 2 :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That’s probably why Nintendo hasn’t released Mother 3 yet, it will need the extra processing power of the SwiPro to render those GBA graphics.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mega64 posted:

That’s probably why Nintendo hasn’t released Mother 3 yet, it will need the extra processing power of the SwiPro to render those GBA graphics.
Farmed out Square Enix to use the Triangle Strategy engine for release in 2026.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Muk Dumpster posted:

Are vertical ones shmups? I go for the darius/r type/gradius ones over bullet hell

Hold out for r-type final 2, a game named like documents at my workplace

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

drat, just restarted Hollow Knight after attempting to play it a year ago and it feels so much better with an 8bitdo controller.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I've got hollow knight calluses on my left thumb

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I mean thats the real thing is that the Switch is still doing very well. But also even games designed explicitly for it are starting to show some cracks, which makes me wonder if it really has like 4 more years of longevity to it.

I'm not going to be mad if it lives to 2025 or whatever, I just hope it doesn't end up overstating it's welcome like the Wii ended up doing though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

japtor posted:

So it's Mobile Light Force 3?

The manual for Castle Shikigami 2 refers to bombs as your "Mobile Light Force 3 attack," so Sisters Royale is Mobile Light Force 5.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Waltzing Along posted:

The switch pro might be as powerful as an original bone. Maybe. Doubtful.

Naw switch pro will output 1080p natively, so itll be stronger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo notoriously keeps their releases close to their chest, Metroid Prime 4 being a significant deviation there, and combined with COVID pretty much setting the entire industry back at least a year at this point, I'd advise patience to be a virtue, and not expect old patterns to hold true.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo notoriously keeps their releases close to their chest, Metroid Prime 4 being a significant deviation there, and combined with COVID pretty much setting the entire industry back at least a year at this point, I'd advise patience to be a virtue, and not expect old patterns to hold true.

I want to believe!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://twitter.com/shrimpJAJ/status/1366170100588404737

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

combined with COVID pretty much setting the entire industry back at least a year at this point

Like this isn't true as many times as people want to repeat it, Microsoft and Sony still released their new consoles on schedule, big games got released with a month or two's delay max

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony's also gone on record that COVID hasn't greatly affected their own first/second party development cycles. Out of all their big PS5 games for 2021, the only one that's gotten dinged so far is Gran Turismo 7 which frankly everyone expects because delays are part of The Gran Turismo Experience now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

Like this isn't true as many times as people want to repeat it, Microsoft and Sony still released their new consoles on schedule, big games got released with a month or two's delay max
Big games?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say a lot of the big games last year definitely felt like their "spit and polish" periods were severely disrupted and we'll see how this years big games go, I've been expecting a year of slipping release dates for stuff personally.

Nintendo have said that covid affected their development so it's whatever really. It's pretty easy to believe that Covid hosed with a couple of games that were already in a spotty place development wise.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

If I don't get Star Fox by 2022 I'm demanding a refund!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Good news, there's already 2.5 Star Fox games on the Switch!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

japtor posted:

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1356165212517220352

So it's Mobile Light Force 3?

Speaking of which, I think Mobile Light Force 1 aka Gunbird is on there too. Gunbird 2 is the Psikyo one to get though. Or Dragon Blaze. Still waiting for Strikers 1999 standalone. I know the games had noticeable lag before, but at least trying Gunbird 2 recently, it felt pretty good.

Ikaruga is there too of course. Crimzon Clover for insanity. ESP.Ra.De came out in Japan if you want to spend a chunk. Shmright (:hmmyes:) Progear (and a few others shmups) are in one of the Capcom Arcade Stadium packs ($15 each, $40 for all 3). There's some noticeable lag though, they're aware of it at least so we'll see if anything happens.

And still a bunch more like some later Raidens I think and a bunch of indie ones but no clue which ones are solid.

Anybody got advice on how to buy Japanese e-shop games? I was interested in esp ra.de. but it looks like it doesn’t have a US release. I looked it up, but there’s a lot of “try this!” “wait, this doesn’t work.” on the Internet about this.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Big games

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nrook posted:

Anybody got advice on how to buy Japanese e-shop games? I was interested in esp ra.de. but it looks like it doesn’t have a US release. I looked it up, but there’s a lot of “try this!” “wait, this doesn’t work.” on the Internet about this.

From what I remember, you can create an account via Nintendo's JP site, setting region to Japan and whatever, and then just log into that account on your Switch.

After that, find a good site that sells JP eShop codes, and you're good.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

nrook posted:

Find a site that resells Japanese Nintendo eShop credit/gift cards. You'll pay a bit of a markup obviously but it's probably the easiest way to add funds to a Japanese account without having any Japanese payment methods. (On the off chance that you have a Japanese 3DS, I believe you can still use one of those to add funds to a Japanese eShop account with a US credit card, too.)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Playing Crysis on a handheld is some wild poo poo

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

The Postman posted:

Speaking of shmups... I have a flip grip on the way. Any good shmups to keep on my radar for sales?
Here are some good shmups for the Switch:
EspRaDe Psi †
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Sisters Royale ‡
Caladrius Blaze ‡‡
Ikaruga
Jamestown Plus
The Game Tengoku

And newly coined "shrights":
Black Bird
R-type Dimensions ex
Cotton Reboot †
Osyaberi! Horijyo! Gekihori †
Sega AGES Thunder Force AC
Sega AGES Lightening Force

A lot of them are released in compilations, though:
Aleste Collection †
Darius Cozmic Collection
Darius Cozmic Revelation
Space Invaders Forever
Capcom Arcade Stadium
SNK 30th Anniversary Collection
Namco Museum
Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha / Bravo (some claim a lot of lag on these, but they're playable)

Then there's also Arcade Archives which covers some of the more obscure or low-key stuff. This list is not comprehensive at all.

† - Import Only
‡ - Anime horny jail

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 1, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cotton Reboot is getting a western release soon btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here