Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
If earthbound was good there would be a modern earthbound.

Every few months I check to see of earth defense force has a release date. It still says early 2021 :butts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

DK99, with all the movement abilities of DK94

DK69, with all the movement abilities of DK64

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

99 Hours, 99 Persons, 99 Doors

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Shammypants posted:

Preordered one for myself, the pro controller is really outdated and mediocre, hopefully this is a breath of fresh air.

RCarr posted:

The pro controller is fine, what are you talking about.
Real missed opportunity by Nintendo to make their switch pro controller look like this abomination of a "wii u controller eating a snes controller" instead, imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shammypants posted:

Yea it's fine, I don't disagree. Is it really good or worthy of praise? Not really. After all these years it feels like a toy relative to other offerings, has nearly completely unutilized elements we pay for (haptics/NFC) and is missing several things that would be better for the money. It's comfortable and has good battery life but it's expensive. It's bad for racing games and it's OK for shooting games. It's OK for games requiring precision movement. It's far worse for other systems use (PC etc) than Xbox, PS or other offerings. So in the end it was "the best option" for the Switch by virtue of being the only option really but it seems that it is no longer the case.

The PS5 should help with the haptics at least, because having it exist on multiple major platform controllers should see a rise in its use in game design.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The United States posted:

Real missed opportunity by Nintendo to make their switch pro controller look like this abomination of a "wii u controller eating a snes controller" instead, imo

I'll take three

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

My thumbs are cramping just looking at it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm the left thumbstick booger

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Luftballon Fight 99

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'm calling the cops

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shammypants posted:

Yea it's fine, I don't disagree. Is it really good or worthy of praise? Not really. After all these years it feels like a toy relative to other offerings, has nearly completely unutilized elements we pay for (haptics/NFC) and is missing several things that would be better for the money. It's comfortable and has good battery life but it's expensive. It's bad for racing games and it's OK for shooting games. It's OK for games requiring precision movement. It's far worse for other systems use (PC etc) than Xbox, PS or other offerings. So in the end it was "the best option" for the Switch by virtue of being the only option really but it seems that it is no longer the case.

lmao

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Ah, the 8bitdon't

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo MOBA looking interesting

https://youtu.be/enBceUyGf9Q

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rise feels almost too casual after going through the last two generations of Monster Hunter. Everything is so accesible and in-game that it feels weird. Like.... I don’t have to keep a tab of kiranico just to know what poo poo drops what or what key quests I need to do?

It's my friend's first MH and he is lost as gently caress. There are SO many menus and sub menus and things to keep track of. I have to sit in person and explain things a lot

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I will play this

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Every few months I check to see of earth defense force has a release date. It still says early 2021 :butts:

EDF 99, every ant you kill gets sent to invade another earth.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I've managed to win games of Tetris 99 and Mario 35 but I really suck at Pac-Man

Gonna have to hope I get a day 1 lobby full of clowns if it'll ever happen, the second the experts develop a meta I'll have no chance

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Red Minjo posted:

EDF 99, every ant you kill gets sent to invade another earth.

:frogon:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Paid DLC packs kind of sucks though. I look forward to dying after a minute though!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Has anybody been playing Republic Commando? Thoughts?

From what I've heard it's just a bog standard port of one of the console versions with widescreen support added. Not sure if the console versions ever had multiplayer but it's certainly not here. Also no motion controls and it's locked to 30FPS. All in all it's pretty pathetic. Even effin Rogue Trooper had more work done on it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PowerBeard posted:

Paid DLC packs kind of sucks though. I look forward to dying after a minute though!

If paid DLC would have kept Mario 35 around, I would've paid it. Tetris99 has it and is still here.

I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but if it does, well.... c'mon, Nintendo...

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If paid DLC would have kept Mario 35 around, I would've paid it. Tetris99 has it and is still here.

I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but if it does, well.... c'mon, Nintendo...

Same.

However, in Tetris 99, you can earn boards through progression and taking part in special events. I'm upset with PAC99 charging upfront for the boards, which means there's no point in progression because it doesn't lead to anything worthwhile.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

Same.

However, in Tetris 99, you can earn boards through progression and taking part in special events. I'm upset with PAC99 charging upfront for the boards, which means there's no point in progression because it doesn't lead to anything worthwhile.

Are you talking about themes? They might introduce some later on. There were no themes when Tetris99 started, so anything's possible.

It's just that out of the 3 BR games they've offered, the one that I'm best at (based on the original games) is SMB :negative: I suck at Pac Man after like... 2 levels, and I STILL haven't gotten to #1 in Tetris99.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there a way to make Pac Man 99 DX skinned because that game was awesome and the visuals were a big part of it being awesome

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is there a way to make Pac Man 99 DX skinned because that game was awesome and the visuals were a big part of it being awesome

The trailer has skins

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PowerBeard posted:

Tetris 99 has them the trick is to just not buy them. You can unlock various themes in-game eventually Pac 99 will probably be similar.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ The problem is Konami love charging crazy amounts for their products and rarely reverse their decisions. We got an arcade collection that I still barely understand what I'm getting for free and what is in the bundles.

Are you talking about themes? They might introduce some later on. There were no themes when Tetris99 started, so anything's possible.

It's just that out of the 3 BR games they've offered, the one that I'm best at (based on the original games) is SMB :negative: I suck at Pac Man after like... 2 levels, and I STILL haven't gotten to #1 in Tetris99.

Yeah, meant themes, it slipped my mind. I realised that I was slightly trash at SMB after playing Mario 35. I can hold my own at Tetris 99, but I'd need a good long session in order to get no. 1. PAC99 will hopefully be great fun, I enjoyed Championship Edition and stringing combos felt great in that.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 7, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, question for you all; am I the only one who feels like Pac Man Championship DX 2 or whatever it's called is nowhere near as good as the first one? Maybe I need to give it more time, but when I played CE way back when on XBLA, I loved it and it flowed and was awesome.

The sequel seems to put in a lot of extra bullshit that feels like it breaks the flow or maybe I'm just getting confused by even more poo poo going on onscreen. Like CE was crazy and busy, but I got it; this one seems too much. I feel like I give it an honest try maybe once a month, and it still hasn't clicked. And I want it to, because I want that CE experience back. :negative:

Am I just missing a classic mode or something?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually having a little trouble with the d-pad on my pro controller. It kept registering vertical inputs when I was doing character creation in Monster Hunter. Any advice?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ok, question for you all; am I the only one who feels like Pac Man Championship DX 2 or whatever it's called is nowhere near as good as the first one? Maybe I need to give it more time, but when I played CE way back when on XBLA, I loved it and it flowed and was awesome.

The sequel seems to put in a lot of extra bullshit that feels like it breaks the flow or maybe I'm just getting confused by even more poo poo going on onscreen. Like CE was crazy and busy, but I got it; this one seems too much. I feel like I give it an honest try maybe once a month, and it still hasn't clicked. And I want it to, because I want that CE experience back. :negative:

Am I just missing a classic mode or something?
No it's not an uncommon sentiment, and it's kinda insane that they call the sequels CE DX and CE 2 when they have gently caress all to do with the original Championship Edition and are barely even Pac-Man games. DX is better than CE2 at least, I think they lost even the fair weather pac fans on that one. Anyway, I think on Switch original CE is in one of the Namco museum collections

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just realized there's a fuckin dig dug skin towards the end of the pac-man 99 trailer

welp guess who is opening their wallet as soon as pac-man 99 is playable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After my big complain post about Pac Man CE DX 2 or whatever, I just realized that Pac Man 99 is likely closer to CE than that is, and I am definitely on board. I'll likely be terrible and I don't care.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fun fact: my most recent experience with anything pac-man was playing it on the atari 5200 i bought a couple years ago

it took me about twenty tries to get off the first maze due to the controller, and honestly getting off the first maze with a 5200 controller might put me in the top percentile of pac-man players lmfao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

After my big complain post about Pac Man CE DX 2 or whatever, I just realized that Pac Man 99 is likely closer to CE than that is, and I am definitely on board. I'll likely be terrible and I don't care.
It has ghost trains though

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm actually having a little trouble with the d-pad on my pro controller. It kept registering vertical inputs when I was doing character creation in Monster Hunter. Any advice?
Disassemble the controller, take out the d-pad plastic piece and put a tiny square of electrical tape on top of the center peg. This will raise the d-pad just enough to mostly avoid unintended inputs.

Alternatively, buy an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ or Pro 2.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Lodin posted:

From what I've heard it's just a bog standard port of one of the console versions with widescreen support added. Not sure if the console versions ever had multiplayer but it's certainly not here. Also no motion controls and it's locked to 30FPS. All in all it's pretty pathetic. Even effin Rogue Trooper had more work done on it.

Someone on Reddit reported that the FPS often dips down to sub-20 so it might even be worse than that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Is Undertale no longer modern?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

It has ghost trains though

this is why spirit tracks is the best zelda game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

No Wave posted:

Is Undertale no longer modern?

supplanted by yiik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

8bitdo could make a customer out of me if they sold a controller with the right stick oriented above the face buttons. I always thought pressing the X button to jump with the joint of my thumb extended straight while still being able to control the stick with the pad of my thumb in Splatoon on the Gamepad felt better than hitting B with the side of the joint of my thumb bent at a 90 degree angle did on the Pro Controller in Splatoon 2.