Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I hate Hollow Knight and I'm not even brave enough to make that comment in this thread. Better head for the bunker my friend, they're coming for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

American McGay posted:

I hate Hollow Knight and I'm not even brave enough to make that comment in this thread. Better head for the bunker my friend, they're coming for you.

This is the hill on which I've chosen to make my stand.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think the aesthetic and animation work on blasphemous is incredible, but it is not fun to play at all

Everything is slow and plodding and you die in two hits so you have to spend a lot of your time shuffling back from the last checkpoint

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

I think the aesthetic and animation work on blasphemous is incredible, but it is not fun to play at all

Everything is slow and plodding and you die in two hits so you have to spend a lot of your time shuffling back from the last checkpoint

I made great use of sliding in Blasphemous to get where I was going quickly. You're more resilient than two hits. And I thought the run backs to bosses were shorter.

Also the bosses were more fun and required far less attempts than Hollow Knight's.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Late but MHR rules. Great QoL and coming from MHW load times are so much better. Prety much only used LS and Bow in World but in Rise started with Dual Blades and that felt a little mashy so I switched to Lance and am loving that. Then did an Arena quest with preset equipment and the only choice I felt familiar with at all was LS and that felt real nice so might get back into it also.

I guess I have to resub to Switch Online and don't really mind cause I want to try PacMan99 and some of the S/NES games I never got around to but the only real online action stuff I've ever tried on the Switch was when Splatoon 2 did like a free weekend and my connection was garbage the whole time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

This is the hill on which I've chosen to make my stand.
I played through most of Hollow Knight six months ago, dropped it for lack of time, and haven't been interested in going back.

It's a fantastic game in terms of its environments and exactly how big and non-linear the world is. But the bosses never stop being slogs and at the end of the day the knight always feels like a weak character, even with the variety of charm loadouts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I had a vision... The Super Nintendo Switch will also be the only device compatible with Nintendo's "Nintendo Switch Online Plus" which will be like $10 more, but will offer N64 retro games.

I'd pay it.

Yawn. Maybe if they add Mischief Makers. Or Ogre Battle 64. Maybe even StarFox 64. Or F-Zero X. But 95% of the other N64 games leave me dead cold. :colbert:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i ended up clocking godmaster in hollow knight because i like zoomin' around like greased lightning.

blasphemous is great, with really strong aesthetics, but the rigidity of it and castlevania-esque platforming sections put me off a bit

both great games, just play both

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Blasphemous is extra awesome if you speak Spanish with the Spanish voices

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Blasphemous smokes Hollow Knight in both inspiration-from-Dark-Souls and Fun Game categories.

both games are great OP

hollow knight's better tho

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I played through most of Hollow Knight six months ago, dropped it for lack of time, and haven't been interested in going back.

It's a fantastic game in terms of its environments and exactly how big and non-linear the world is. But the bosses never stop being slogs and at the end of the day the knight always feels like a weak character, even with the variety of charm loadouts.

I feel almost the exact same way. It's loving gorgeous and atmospheric as hell. But I bounced off of it hard when I realized i don't have the patience for slog bosses and nitpicky platforming anymore.

It's an awesome game though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like hollow knight, but i didnt beat it. it has some major flaws. i agree that the bosses are slogs, and that HK feels weak. i like that he generally feels fragile, though. i didn't find any of the bosses to be TOO bad until the one that ended the game for me (the evil fallen mantis lord guy that got buffed post-launch to do extra damage and stuff)

still pumped for silksong though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Team Cherry's debut was a terrible Newgrounds flash game with a 1 star rating, followed by Hollow Knight, so on this trajectory Silksong will be about double as good as Hollow Knight

It's just science

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Assuming it's an upwards curve and not a sine wave, anyway.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Libluini posted:

Yawn. Maybe if they add Mischief Makers. :colbert:

Yes! I love the soundtrack for this game. I hated the boss battles, but chaining together little jet bursts hopping from...weird glowing sad-face ball to weird glowing sad-face ball was great.

Upthread somewhere, someone asked about World Ends with You. I'm slightly surprised to see more folks aren't excited for the sequel coming out this summer? I own the first game on DS but never played it..

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Read After Burning posted:

Upthread somewhere, someone asked about World Ends with You. I'm slightly surprised to see more folks aren't excited for the sequel coming out this summer? I own the first game on DS but never played it..

The original game is one of the great JRPGs of its era: stylish, snappy, engaging, novel and fun to play, well-paced. But when a sequel comes so far after the original release, it’s hard to have faith that the same kind of creative energy will go into it: after all, I think it’s mostly different people working on the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On the other hand, it's possible that there are fans of the original who have been dying to inject their ideas into a sequel for years finally getting to do it. I think it could go either way.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

120 stars in Super Mario 64! That was a ride and I'm surprised I kept going. Dying at 90 something coins is heartbreaking.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They revealed today that there's going to be a time travel mechanic where you can 'go back in time to the start of the day you are on and make different choices to try for a better outcome to the day' which has me tenatively interested but also loving baffled because of all the new systems for a TWEWY sequel loving life is strange was not even in the same galaxy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nrook posted:

The original game is one of the great JRPGs of its era: stylish, snappy, engaging, novel and fun to play, well-paced. But when a sequel comes so far after the original release, it’s hard to have faith that the same kind of creative energy will go into it: after all, I think it’s mostly different people working on the game.

the 3D combat looks pretty lackluster compared to the puck-passing system of the original but the dialogue and characterization shown in the trailers has been pretty snappy. nomura is also one of the named producers and TWEWY is his baby, so we'll see

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Libluini posted:

Yawn. Maybe if they add Mischief Makers. Or Ogre Battle 64.

(takes face in hands) You are my son

All I want is Ogre Battle 64 or for literally anyone to take a crack at the type of gameplay it offers, which to my knowledge absolutely nobody has ever done

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

120 stars in Super Mario 64! That was a ride and I'm surprised I kept going. Dying at 90 something coins is heartbreaking.

gently caress those 100 coin stars, but yeah; still one of my favorites, even if it looks like a Fisher Price version of a Mario game these days.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm excited for it Neo TWEWY even if I did miss the initial announcement of it somehow. Been playing through the Final Remix to get refreshed. I dunno how confident I should be for the gameplay but I kind of figured if we ever got another one past the time of the 3DS it'd be completely different considering how devoted the original was the duel screens hardware gimmicks.

I'm willing to give it a shot based on this trailer from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wXak2Qfo4

Oxxidation posted:

the 3D combat looks pretty lackluster compared to the puck-passing system of the original but the dialogue and characterization shown in the trailers has been pretty snappy. nomura is also one of the named producers and TWEWY is his baby, so we'll see

Yeah, losing the upper screen and all that entailed is a noticeable impact on the rerelease. Now partners just kinda chime in when you do their particular touchscreen motion and you just wail on things together for bonus damage. It feels like it made Beat the overwhelming mechanically superior partner too, like I can get twice the work down for half the effort compared to Shiki.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 16, 2021

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

gently caress those 100 coin stars, but yeah; still one of my favorites, even if it looks like a Fisher Price version of a Mario game these days.

I love N64 graphics because it's what I grew up with, so I didn't mind. I wish we had more early 3D games on Switch honestly, I'm less into 2D most of the time but I understand I'm in a small minority.

100 coins was tense but generally manageable for most of the courses. The worst one was Rainbow Road, because it took forever for me to get the walljump blue coins. Shifting Sand Land was wack because I got like 96 coins in the pyramid and I couldn't exit to go back to the rest of the level. Tiny Huge Island was another really tough one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just didn't like them because they take the longest to complete. :effort:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm tentatively hyped for new TWEWY, loved the OG version on the DS. Bought the Switch version on a whim but havent started yet, though I think the extra content is meant to link to the new game so might dive in.

I gather it absolutely doesnt want to be played in docked mode though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

I'm tentatively hyped for new TWEWY, loved the OG version on the DS. Bought the Switch version on a whim but havent started yet, though I think the extra content is meant to link to the new game so might dive in.

I gather it absolutely doesnt want to be played in docked mode though

I dunno... if you can use the Wii-esque pointer feature, you could totally simulate a stylus on the TV, Mario Galaxy style; swishing as fast as you can waggle, or pointing on a Noise and tapping one of the face buttons/triggers.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Did everybody forget that there's already a remake of twewy 1 on the switch? That's what this is a sequel to

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’d like Blasphemous more if I could change the font. My eyes are too poo poo for the fancy font.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mister Facetious posted:

I dunno... if you can use the Wii-esque pointer feature, you could totally simulate a stylus on the TV, Mario Galaxy style; swishing as fast as you can waggle, or pointing on a Noise and tapping one of the face buttons/triggers.

I couldn't use it in any capacity, there's just no precision and at times the pointer would just drift upwards for some reason. Did the entire game in handheld mode.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The best TWEWY partner was Joshua with his Jesus Beams

I'm afraid to try any of the non-DS versions of the game because of how it handles the partners.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I couldn't use it in any capacity, there's just no precision and at times the pointer would just drift upwards for some reason. Did the entire game in handheld mode.

How was it? I never played the original so idk how the controls are supposed to work, but does it work alright with analog sticks?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
One day I'll understand why Super Mario 3D World doesn't click for me but today is not that day.

It's like I'm eating popcorn and everyone else is talking about it like it's a Michelin chef's magnum opus.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 16, 2021

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Co-op is where 3D World really shines. Solo, it’s just fine

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Early retirement here I come

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Len posted:

Thanks for reporting this, I have alerted the authorities to confiscate these illegal Marios.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Len posted:

p sure livetweeting graverobbing is a dumb move

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I found earlier in The Longing that if you just keep mashing on the dpad whilst playing the instrument you can make time absolutely fly by. I passed four hours in about 5 minutes. Don't know if it's intended but seems like a bug to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Frankston posted:

I found earlier in The Longing that if you just keep mashing on the dpad whilst playing the instrument you can make time absolutely fly by. I passed four hours in about 5 minutes. Don't know if it's intended but seems like a bug to me.
Time isn't meant to be realtime. Activities are used to pass the time. Try reading Moby Dick and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

One day I'll understand why Super Mario 3D World doesn't click for me but today is not that day.

It's like I'm eating popcorn and everyone else is talking about it like it's a Michelin chef's magnum opus.

When I play it I honestly feel it controls like the entire game is on an ice level. My biggest gripe. It’s made worse by the walk speed increase.

Also, any reference for the thread title. I came here because of it.