Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's me, I'm the one who keeps buying all the zeldas, over and over, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't have to buy the new Zeldas if you'd rather save 50 bucks and dust off the ol' Wii/U when you get the hankerin'.

I for one am excited to get Skyward Sword HD because it is the one Zelda I do not own.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

dust off the ol' Wii/U

no. no. unacceptable

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I still have my Wii hooked up in the living room, and I've been thinking about finally playing Twilight Princess. Bought it when we got the Wii 10 years ago, and still haven't played it yet.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

BisterdDave posted:

I still have my Wii hooked up in the living room, and I've been thinking about finally playing Twilight Princess. Bought it when we got the Wii 10 years ago, and still haven't played it yet.

I always loved it, waggle and all.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

no. no. unacceptable

:hmmyes:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Twilight Princess is probably my favorite in the series. Its dungeons are really tightly designed and aesthetically pleasing, which is apparently my key metric for rating Zelda games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Bring back the spinner!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

For this to be true they would have to make the old versions unplayable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You can't use an outdated version of a text book, you can still buy the Mario collection and enjoy it! My metaphor was perfect!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bleck posted:

no. no. unacceptable

I agree, I only want to play new Wii U, that's why I always sell my old Wii U when I'm done with a game and then buy a new Wii U later, it just makes financial sense.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i, like most people, dont own a wii-u

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You can't use an outdated version of a text book, you can still buy the Mario collection and enjoy it! My metaphor was perfect!

i mean aside from that nintendo stopped selling it - for reasons that definitely have absolutely nothing to do with predatory marketing strategies - sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My son has been rocking Wind Waker on our borrowed WiiU, with my help, and I have to say that I actually enjoy the treasure hunting part. I remember hating it back in the day, but now? I'm more tired of "here's a specifically themed dungeon with a bunch of impossible puzzles that are made trivial once you get this dungeon's specific tool or ability. Oh, and the boss is weak to that same tool/ability". Like, LttP did it, that's fine. OoT is like a 3D version of LttP, ok, sure. I'm glad it's not like that for wind Waker the whole way through.

gently caress Twilight Princess, I'd rather play Calculator.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 12, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My son has been rocking Wind Waker on our borrowed WiiU, with my help, and I have to say that I actually enjoy the treasure hunting part. I remember hating it back in the day, but now? I'm more tired of "here's a specifically themed dungeon with a bunch of impossible puzzles that are made trivial once you get this dungeon's specific tool or ability. Oh, and the boss is weak to that same tool/ability". Like, LttP did it, that's fine. OoT is like a 3D version of LttP, ok, sure. I'm glad it's not like that for wind Waker the whole way through.

gently caress Twilight Princess, I'd rather play Calculator.

There's a LOT of QoL improvements in the WiiU version to make the treasure hunt much less of a hassle (the Swift Sale and general cost reduction being big ones).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a LOT of QoL improvements in the WiiU version to make the treasure hunt much less of a hassle (the Swift Sale and general cost reduction being big ones).

I'm not sure what Swift Sail is.

Edit: I just looked it up, and we haven't gotten that yet, we're still wind waking all over the place. So, I guess in my case that doesn't apply yet, but wow, am I looking forward to picking that up.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Yo Switch thread, how about that Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass? Is it a buy, a do not buy or an "eeeeeh, maybe once you've finished the game"?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's worth it for Majora's Mask alone. :v:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Yo Switch thread, how about that Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass? Is it a buy, a do not buy or an "eeeeeh, maybe once you've finished the game"?

Do you like motorcycles and if so then yes it's a buy (also the tracking mode is cool AF and the various new items are fun ways to change up the play style, especially if you've sunk a ton of hours into the game)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Has anyone played Bloodstained on Switch recently? I'm interested in the game but I remember a bunch of horror stories about performance when it first came out. It looks like they made improvements since then?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Consensus seems to be that it's now fine though inferior to all other versions, but not to the point that it isnt worth playing

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Calculator chat:

It genuinely surprises me that the TI scam is still going on. People who bought TI-82s/85s in high school now have high-school age children, and as far as I can tell a TI-84 Plus is functionally equivalent even down to the crap monochrome LCD. Haven't they sold enough calculators at this point that you can buy them used easily or hand-me-down? Hell, I'm pretty sure I have two TI-83s (not useful) and TI-89s (probably useful) sitting in a closet that my wife and I used back in our school days.

That said, I don't really get the point of a Calculator app. I mean, OK, this is clearly some hilarious meme thing or whatever. Aside from that, you don't really need more than a four-function calculator for whatever you use your phone calculator for--maybe some history is useful. But a scientific calculator with 50 buttons? Who is sitting around trying to figure out the inverse tangent of some decimal value you're manually entering? Engineers have been scripting that crap in MATLAB/Octave, and statisticians in R for at least 20 years at this point, and you can run that poo poo on a $200 Chromebook these days. Put those on the Switch.

I downloaded the WolframAlpha app probably a decade ago and found that to be an interesting modern "calculator" interface, although I don't really use it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Buy

Great levels, best boss fight in the game by a country mile

Gamebreaking (at least gamechanging) items, but just like certain amiibo gear, I'd say just don't use it until after if you want the more authentic experience

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just played and beat Hotline Miami for the first time knowing nothing about it but that it was popular and on sale

what the gently caress did I just play lmao

(i still have a couple masks and puzzle pieces to go back and get)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone thinking about starting up a Game Builder Garage thread? It's gonna happen, obviously, but I guess we're all waiting for more info?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Ehud posted:

Has anyone played Bloodstained on Switch recently? I'm interested in the game but I remember a bunch of horror stories about performance when it first came out. It looks like they made improvements since then?

It's better than launch... but I gave it another shot earlier this year and I lost progress due to crashes at least 5 times before I gave up.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Wildtortilla posted:

Has anyone played this Crying Suns game that’s releasing later this month? It’s been around on PC for a year or two I think. It sounds like it’s a mash up of lots of things I enjoy, but I am always wary of games doing too many things just okay, rather than one thing very well.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/crying-suns-switch/

I have not played or even heard of this game before but I feel like it might scratch my space game itch... Seconding your question- anyone played it on PC?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ehud posted:

Still performs bad and crashes sometimes

But performs better and crashes less than it used to

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

TI calculators were great you could just type all your notes in a 'program' and cheat to your hearts content

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

External Organs posted:

I have not played or even heard of this game before but I feel like it might scratch my space game itch... Seconding your question- anyone played it on PC?

Yeah, it's pretty good. Imagine FTL with more story to it, similar pixel art, and some potentially challenging "tactical-lite" combat, and that's Crying Suns.

Got it for free on EPIC at some point

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sounds like it's still better to play Bloodstained on PC. Thanks to those who replied!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i mean aside from that nintendo stopped selling it - for reasons that definitely have absolutely nothing to do with predatory marketing strategies - sure.

i don't see how this relates to making the old versions unplayable. you can still play super mario 64 on n64 or ds or wii or wii u. you can also still buy 3d all stars on cartridge and play that. delisting it from the eshop doesn't trigger a time bomb in every version of the game released over the past 25 years

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Is the switch version of RE4 the most complete version? Thought about on PC but I've heard there's bugs with QTE events

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Wii version is the most complete because it has gyro aiming.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is the switch version of RE4 the most complete version? Thought about on PC but I've heard there's bugs with QTE events

The PC version will soon have a complete HD texture mod that looks stunning

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

about 10 hours in to Xenoblade Chronicles, wondering when new systems to engage with (and their tutorials) are going to stop showing up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All modern ports of RE4 are fine

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

All modern ports of RE4 are fine

Tank controls are never fine.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

tank controls are sometimes fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bees x1000 posted:

about 10 hours in to Xenoblade Chronicles, wondering when new systems to engage with (and their tutorials) are going to stop showing up

postgame