Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Violet_Sky posted:

I cant wait for grown-rear end people to get VERY UPSET at children's games

On the internet no one knows you're a 16/f/Cali 45 year old basement dweller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

American McGay posted:

Aces is good it's just super light on content and a tough buy at $60.

Super shallow and also was completely imbalanced ruining online play until it died :'(

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Oscar Wild posted:

On the internet no one knows you're a 16/f/Cali 45 year old basement dweller.

Excuse me, I happen to be a 41 year old loft dweller.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How's miitopia? Worth diveing into ?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

fit em all up in there posted:

Someone did a real effort post and the short of it was No. Not unless you're a young child and need a trainer RPG to do all the work for you.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Bloop posted:

Metroid Prime Rammers

Yoshi's Fuckin' World

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Walla posted:

Excuse me, I happen to be a 41 year old loft dweller.

A loft is a basement with a view.

I gotta say. Monster hunter Rise is so much fun. I did a coop mission last night and it's just incredible how smooth things were with all the stuff happening in the game. I have noticed I'm the only Insect Glaive person that I've encountered and if they're using my play as an indication of weapon ability, I don't blame them, but its fun to vault and fly around the arena eventually colliding with the monster.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the people i've met who're into miitopia seem to be mostly into it for the funny screenshot element of it, like if you've liked all the old mii-based games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can learn Baten Kaitos easily, but if you master it, that's a sin

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Al-Saqr posted:

You know what? If Nintendo Announced a Power Stone Collection I will forgive them.

The alleged Capcom leak from a few months back has a Power Stone Remake planned...for 2024.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Spacebump posted:

The alleged Capcom leak from a few months back has a Power Stone Remake planned...for 2024.

I don't like the sound of REMAKE. Makes it sound like they get a chance to gently caress something up in the formula.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't like the sound of REMAKE. Makes it sound like they get a chance to gently caress something up in the formula.

Capcom has been on a roll lately, it might end up being awesome

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

A loft is a basement with a view.

I gotta say. Monster hunter Rise is so much fun. I did a coop mission last night and it's just incredible how smooth things were with all the stuff happening in the game. I have noticed I'm the only Insect Glaive person that I've encountered and if they're using my play as an indication of weapon ability, I don't blame them, but its fun to vault and fly around the arena eventually colliding with the monster.

It’a because the IG isn’t LS, LBG, DB, or Bow.

IG is reaaaal fun! Keep spinning through the air!!

When you want something else fun to do, give GL a whirl!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm bad at most weapons in MH getting carried through HR by people with Japanese names

But God drat if IG and LS aren't just fun to play. I want to try GL because it also looks real fun

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I keep thinking of finally playing Detective Pikachu, but I know as soon as I'm halfway through it, they'll announce a Switch port...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Holding out hope for New Wii Music. Kids have no idea how dire Nintendo E3 can get.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Doing a 100% speedrun of Baten Kaitos is a sin.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I played through and loved the music and art. The card game was OK but got super tedious later in the game. I think I just don't like deck building games. It's a solid B to B+ depending how well you like the deck system.

Mastering it would definitely be a waste of time trying to get milk and fire cards together to make cheese.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

BisterdDave posted:

Capcom has been on a roll lately, it might end up being awesome

Not in the fighting game division which i'm sure that'd fall under. Eh who knows.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 9, 2021

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That Goblin Sword everyone was talking about is pretty fun, idk if I'll finish it but looks like lots of content for $2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oscar Wild posted:

I played through and loved the music and art. The card game was OK but got super tedious later in the game. I think I just don't like deck building games. It's a solid B to B+ depending how well you like the deck system.

Mastering it would definitely be a waste of time trying to get milk and fire cards together to make cheese.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

No. I played to postgame and I'm comfortable declaring it a boring waste of time. Unless you really really like making Miis, this is a pass. There's not enough funny skits or anything to justify the cost.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

You're right I didn't play with my own deck enough. I never did master baten kaitos. I only fumbled through by the skin of my knuckles. A real skin thinned repetition of motion.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Bloop posted:

Metroid Prime Rammers
And F-Zero Trilogy

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I hope they showcase no more heroes 3

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Wamdoodle posted:

It was the PSX (The First PlayStation)

Rage Racer is another game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

She also wants every copy of every resident evil game recalled and destroyed which is a lol

ngl I respect the no-fucks-given attitude

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Healbot posted:

Rage Racer is another game.

Ha what a difference a single letter makes. Could have sworn that the PSX one was Rave

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxxUn53qXs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commissar Ken posted:

Even just getting the original game in as-is it'd be kinda necessary considering how low-poly the assets surely are for something that's gotta go on a display capable of rendering 4K (even if there is no "Switch Pro", it's still gotta go to PS5 and XBoXS). By the time they'd be done adding modern network code for online play as well it'd just about be a full remake.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

She also wants every copy of every resident evil game recalled and destroyed which is a lol

At some point you are resident evil long enough to become doctor evil, so I understand the frustration

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man powerstone needs lootboxes

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Power Stone 1 and 2 feel like different game styles at times. I don't mind if it's switched up again

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

There's something of an endgame, I haven't had time to dig into it at all. Part of it is just achievement-hunting, but there seems to be some new areas and possibly some new story? If there are more jobs to unlock (there were sadly very few in the main game), I'd be interested in going forward, but otherwise it feels like it would just be a huge waste of time. I played through it hoping there would be something interesting hidden underneath all the tedium, but it really stretches a bare minimum of content through an unconscionable amount of repetition and doesn't offer much in return. Mostly it just made me want to go back to Dragon Quest XI.

I played Miitopia and found it is Tomadachi Life Quest but expanded. So, basically i knew what to expect. This game is better played in small doses or you burn out fast on it.

Playing every path on a map until then endgame, I only had to use the sprinkles only when I made a bad decision (like being underpowered but fighting the 2 harpies in the desert).

However, in the post game content, if you try to get the new job on the Galados Isle, there was a real struggle with my characters in one cave although I basically walked through the last boss before. So, that was challenging and exciting.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

So I picked Umurangi Generation up on Switch yesterday, and it's a totally fine port, but I have mixed impressions. It's a good way to play the game imo but I'd rather play it on PC if you have the option.

Pros:
  • Everything's there and works fine, there's a little slowdown when the screen is busy but it's not a big deal since this isn't an action game.
  • Controls are great. I was worried about whether it would feel clunky to manage the photo editing sliders with a controller since there's ten or so once you unlock everything (contrast/saturation/etc) but it's really smooth to navigate.
  • Gyro controls are really awesome. They activate when you aim the camera and you can set them to rotate only or to fully look around like you're holding a camera irl. Or you can just turn them off.
  • Handheld mode runs just as well as docked.
  • No Switch tax: it's $25 and includes the base game and dlc, which are $15 and $10 on steam respectively (though they go on sale fairly often)
  • Music still slaps.

Cons:
  • The resolution took a noticeable hit in porting to Switch, same song and dance as a lot of ports, with some pop-in of small items and posters as well. I wouldn't say it's as bad as say, Witcher 3, but it's definitely noticeable. There's some behind the scenes trick where when you aim the camera, the resolution is MUCH better and the pop-in goes away, so stuff looks good when it matters, and the actual photos you take look great.
  • There's some slowdown I mentioned above, if the screen is really busy or there's a lot of detailed things like tons of chain link fences. Not nearly as big a deal as the resolution but worth pointing out.

So yeah. In summary, as a port it does a lot right, but the resolution hit is a bummer. It's hardly game ruining by any means, and seems par for the course for Switch ports at this point in its life. But it's something to be aware of. Gonna play some more!

As an update, the developer is putting out a patch to fix both the resolution and framerate issues.
https://twitter.com/UmurangiGame/status/1402202715288064001?s=19

Sorry to keep banging on about this game, but it's such a unique and cool little thing and it really deserves to catch on. The PC version really flew under the radar with the exception of some vocal fans like the folks at the Waypoint Radio podcast, and it has the potential to be Perfect On The Switch.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tender Bender posted:

As an update, the developer is putting out a patch to fix both the resolution and framerate issues.
https://twitter.com/UmurangiGame/status/1402202715288064001?s=19

Sorry to keep banging on about this game, but it's such a unique and cool little thing and it really deserves to catch on. The PC version really flew under the radar with the exception of some vocal fans like the folks at the Waypoint Radio podcast, and it has the potential to be Perfect On The Switch.

Added to my wishlist. Thanks!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I have been playing some Umurangi Generation on my Nintendo Switch. I’m up to the final delivery of the base game. I haven’t played the PC version so I can only talk about the Switch version on its own merits.

I think it’s really cool. The setting and world and richly realized, and you’ll enjoy just exploring the level to find out what it’s telling you. Photography mode with gyro controls is great, and taking pictures is really easy and intuitive. Eat your heart out Pokémon Snap.

The rest of the game suffers in favor of the world and the photography, which is fine because those are the point. However the way in which you platform around the sandbox levels feels extremely jank at times, and I found some of the objectives to be kind of finicky. Also, I think the laid back exploration nature of the game would be better served if you did not get the timer and bonus objectives until your second pass through a level. With them enabled by default, my gamer brain tried to rush through things instead of taking my time.

But anyway it’s a sick antifascist narrative spun by an indigenous person with great photography mechanics and I highly recommend it, jank and all.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Added to my wishlist. Thanks!

Awesome, hope you like it!

wuggles posted:

I have been playing some Umurangi Generation on my Nintendo Switch. I’m up to the final delivery of the base game. I haven’t played the PC version so I can only talk about the Switch version on its own merits.

I think it’s really cool. The setting and world and richly realized, and you’ll enjoy just exploring the level to find out what it’s telling you. Photography mode with gyro controls is great, and taking pictures is really easy and intuitive. Eat your heart out Pokémon Snap.

The rest of the game suffers in favor of the world and the photography, which is fine because those are the point. However the way in which you platform around the sandbox levels feels extremely jank at times, and I found some of the objectives to be kind of finicky. Also, I think the laid back exploration nature of the game would be better served if you did not get the timer and bonus objectives until your second pass through a level. With them enabled by default, my gamer brain tried to rush through things instead of taking my time.

But anyway it’s a sick antifascist narrative spun by an indigenous person with great photography mechanics and I highly recommend it, jank and all.

I agree with the jank stuff; I think with an indie game like this and such a small team I just accept that, but you can definitely knock it for that. The jank is there on PC as well. Sometimes I just take a quick snap with a Fisheye lens and see 2-3 objectives complete somehow.

And I agree about the onscreen timer too, I think it actively harms the game by giving the wrong impression of what to do. I've seen other people also say they felt forced to rush through levels due to the timer. Even knowing it's unnecessary I find myself trying to beat the timer on my Switch playthrough.

One jank tip: The double jump is weird, you seem to get more of a boost if you hit the button twice in quick succession, rather than waiting till the height of your first jump to do the second.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 9, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1402679849316077569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

This is a great deal on a good game. Xcom like gameplay but different enough to be unique. Interesting mission and a great sense of humor.