Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Thief 1 through 3 are the perfect stealth games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Dragon Quest XI over Ni No Kuni any day of the week. DQ is an absolutely fantastic conventional JRPG both mechanically and in terms of characters, story and style. Ni No Kuni has charm but is straight up bad gameplay wise.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I see really long RPGs like the given examples of Persona 5 and DQ XI as perfect sometimes foods. Stuff that really racks up the hour count and draws out the narrative and character interaction is satisfying in its own unique way when you finally get to the end and tie it all up after chipping away at it for a month or two, or conversely after really powering through it and cramming those hours into a smaller time frame. It's a good thing to have a game that sort of sticks around for a little bit, but maybe only once or twice a year.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I loved the GBA and Gamecube Fire Emblems, and the 3DS Fire Emblems did in fact feel really weird for going too deep into the romance stuff; Didn't like it from either angle of anime dating sim or trying to be purely analytical and making the most statistically strong kids. At least Awakening tied it to the plot whereas Fates went full bugfuck stupid and I was afraid I was kind of done with the series. Sounds like Three Houses is a good return to form.

Still waiting for a Tactics Ogre on this machine for the true SRPG patricians though.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think Super Mario Bros is probably way up there in the ranking of old games in comparing peoples memory of how it feels versus how it actually plays, likely mostly due to how well the more modern Marios control. Yeah it's a genre defining classic that still feels fine but when you picture something even relatively close to it like Mario 3 or World you will always wind up a little shocked going back and how cludgy it feels comparatively. Mario Maker probably also had a pretty big effect in letting you use the tileset with present-day Mario feel so everyone kinda goes "yeah this is what Mario 1 was like more or less, right?" when nah it isn't.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think Jedi Outcast and Academy remain the best two Star Wars games primarily for the nature of the combat system and multiplayer. It's a real masterclass is making you feel like a Jedi and giving you complete fine control in melee combat that feels wholly different from melee in almost any other game to date. That said Outcast has some straight up bullshit design in the single player campaign. It goes for a Half-Life/HL2 esque thing where it tries to make forward progress and level flow seem organic and almost like you're doing the wrong thing, except unlike Half-Life it doesn't do it organically at all and there are like a dozen different moments where you're going to be banging your head against it not knowing what the gently caress. Combined with the slow start and Nar Shadda being the worst level ever to immediately counterbalance the aspect of finally getting your lightsaber and force powers it's rough to go back to.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

DQ is probably the most earnest video game series in existence.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I would go with Metal Gear Rising which funny enough is also the best game with Metal Gear in the name by a pretty wide margin. Nintendo should probably get on making MGR2 happen the same way they made Bayonetta 2 happen.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Overcooked is probably somehow actually a pretty good measure of fundamental compatibility, yeah. It'll reveal some personality truths.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah Overwatch is pretty fundamentally broken which is something that pretty quickly bubbled up to the surface with the advent of the competitive mode and just the general passing of time. They managed to capture the frustrating elements of MOBAs that make everyone immediately turn up to 11 and fly off the handle and created one of the most deeply unpleasant communities currently in gaming. I think an Overwatch 2 makes a lot of sense if their intention is to bring it more in line with other shooters and maybe up the match size, make abilities less dramatic, etc. As someone who was crazy about Overwatch at launch and currently would say I pretty much hate it, I would theoretically absolutely be interested in an Overwatch 2 were those aforementioned points actually the type of thing they were addressing. It's all kind of moot though since Blizzard's recent actions have made it pretty easy to just write off the company entirely.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Countblanc posted:

i dont really trust blizzard anymore as either a company or a game developer, and i would be very, very surprised if part of the design goal for OW2 is "reduce the impact of abilities". especially if they're focusing on PvE as leaks imply, since that's the environment where bombastic abilities are actually fun instead of awful.

Sure, I don't expect them to do it. It's more of an observation about the state of the game and trying to be objective. Prior to it being confirmed the OW2 rumors were always followed with "why not patch OW1 this is stupid" when it's like, conceptually there is a lot they could fix with a full blown sequel. The short version is they made it too much like a MOBA and too little like Team Fortress 2 so instead of being a fun shooty game it's just stressful and exhausting even when you're winning. I totally agree with your sentiment. They've shown incompetence in their games from like Diablo 3 onward and I'm not holding my breath for them to actually make any kind of meaningfully intelligent design decisions.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I used to maintain that Pokemon not making any kind of huge gameplay changes and rigidly sticking to its formula was ok because they don't need to appeal to the adult fans and what they've got works and kids still love it and whatever else. Recently I've decided that's kind of bullshit and that Pokemon needs to change and Game Freak kind of sucks. Go deep and wide with it and break away from the formulaic world structure and progression. No sacred cows.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't like having an overly friendly rival. I want em to be fuckin dickheads like Gary.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think pokemon should fight with handguns

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Let's go was shockingly fun for a playthough, which was also definitely informed by nostalgia and being in the demographic of being a grown up rear end man who was obsessed with the first couple generations as a little kid and then a casual fan beyond that. It was a similar situation to the Link's Awakening remake where you can argue that there isn't enough there to justify a full $60 price tag, but the difference is that you can find it for $30 or $40 at this point which is totally worth it. Meanwhile Sword and Shield is looking like the first generation I may just make an entire pass on.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Great! Is 4 worth getting? Better than 1? The same?

Both are good. 1 has some balance and map design issues, mainly due to a lot of unclear objectives or enemy reinforcements that are not well telegraphed and require some trial and error if you're not ok with permanently losing characters ala Fire Emblem. 4 is more mechanically refined and a pretty deliberate attempt at a throwback to 1 due to 2 and 3 not being particularly stellar, but I also think 1 has a more likeable main cast. If you had to pick just one I'd probably say go with 4.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah I had way more fun with Let's Go than I thought I would. It's a fantastic sort of clean and simple remake that's a huge nostalgia trip. Conversely Sword and Shield, amidst a lot of hyperbole and arguing past one another, legitimately is a disappointing iteration. It was kind of the signaler that the series really isn't for my grown-up rear end anymore unless they put in real effort and get unprecedented with it moving forward.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon seems good and I will probably get it. Excellent primer for a new Shiren the Wanderer so let's go ahead and make that happen too Chunsoft.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Rune Factory is great but I really hope they do some refinement of the combat and dungeon aspects of 5. It's a fantastic formula for a game to blend Harvest Moon and dungeon crawling and that's what carries the package as a whole but drat combat has always been completely weightless and mashy. Honestly it's kinda keeping me on the fence with the port of 4.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Generally the attitude that you shouldn't police how people consume their entertainment is correct, but I will openly state a hill I'm willing to die on; People who set the system clock forward to obsessively complete their catalogues as quickly as possible and stuff in Animal Crossing are objectively playing the game wrong.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Platinum's a-game titles have excellent gameplay, but more importantly they have morals that truly we could all learn from.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

fit em all up in there posted:

Is my friend Pedro any good ?

I had a pretty good time with it and played through it a couple times. The mechanics are genuinely fun, but they made the weird decision to progress the game towards more gimmicky platforming stuff near the end instead of continuing to focus on the entire point of the game which is mowing down rooms of enemies in slow motion while doing sick rear end spins and such. If it had something like and endless challenge utilizing the more "normal" early game stuff it would be fantastic, but as it stands the downside is a lack of content and poor level design from like midgame on which is made more stark by how fun the actual action is. I'd say it's absolutely worth the 14 bucks it's on sale for right now though.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There was an HD remake of TP?

I must be the only one who sort of enjoyed it as I played it, and then the moment I finished it, I never wanted to touch it again. Anyone else? I still feel that way; it's like I retroactively find it dragging and a total slog to get through. :shrug:

Twilight Princess is pretty boring. I feel like most Zeldas have a lot of memorable stuff in every facet like gameplay, dungeons, characters, story beats, etc. TP has a couple of very specific memorable elements and is otherwise entirely forgettable. It was Nintendo trying to make a better looking Ocarina as a response to the demographic that initially pushed back against the Wind Waker design. It's not a bad game by any stretch but I made it a couple hours in to the HD version before losing any desire to go back to it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I would hope a present day Pokemon Snap wouldn't be lacking for content since it's a rail shooter, and I don't think it's terribly unreasonable to assume there's not a huge amount going on under the hood; When you're essentially making a diorama and the point is to just see cool poo poo then one would assume it would be pretty high priority to jam pack it full of said cool poo poo that would lend tons of replayability. Sword and Shield put me firmly in the camp of thinking Game Freak is kind of pathetically lazy and the IP should be in the hands of someone else, so I'm glad it's Bandai Namco making this thing.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

In Pokemon Snap you are not a trainer and should not leave your bubble car because you might get eaten by a bulbasaur so being on rails fits with the story it's pretty perfect really.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Ring Fit at the higher levels definitely aint no joke, which was a pleasant surprise. I lift weights but have always neglected cardio too much and it certainly loves to do cardio plus way more emphasis on the isometric component of the exercises with all the ring stuff to compensate for it not having a ton of resistance. It's more endurance and generalized cardiopulmonary fitness focused for sure. It's a pretty impressive package and the RPG component of having lots of numbers and constant visual/audio feedback matters a lot in keeping you motivated and using proper form. I wanted something to compensate for getting way less cardio due to isolation/being unemployed and Ring Fit is a good fun compliment to just moving around heavy objects.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Up until world 3 I was convinced they fudged all the numbers so that you always succeed or scrape past mini boss and boss fights with a sliver of health left and the RPG stuff was all window dressing but yeah nah it's not and you can absolutely get hosed up in fights. It was also at that point that I realized I was half assing the ab guard and you don't get your maximum damage reduction unless you're squeezing the ring crazy hard so it took three attempts to beat world 3 Drageaux.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Fallom posted:

wait what!?

why doesn't it tell you you're doing it wrong!?

I guess they expect you to intuit it since it's technically exactly the same as the exercises; "Good" is doing it right, and "great" is when you're on fire and doing it perfectly. The difference being that an abdominal brace doesn't require any resistance at all, and for the sake of the game the ring is just there basically for tactile feedback to remind you to keep your stomach clenched. The game has no way of knowing how well you're maintaining it. It even emphasizes how your arm pressure doesn't matter, so it winds up being super unintuitive that the ring needs to be squeezed really tight cause you know it doesn't really matter, but surprise it does.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

More specifically, BotW was a real masterclass in what your design ethos should be in creating an open world game in the first place. Handcrafted areas that were deliberately designed to constantly give you half a dozen other landmarks you could see and flag because you want to go explore them right now, a pretty robust and logical physics and item interaction system, and absolute freedom to do whatever whenever without any obligation to sequence (even if they do try to initially funnel you to Kakariko and then subsequently Zora's Domain). It was a landmark game because the open world was the point, not a framework on which to hang a string of instanced scripted missions, or padding with no real meaning or meat to it to waste your time between them. I came away from BotW really hoping that developers would take note and that the Ubisoft style checklist open world game would wither up and go the gently caress away. That's not going to be the case in reality obviously, so rather I just hope that at least some developers out there wind up doing something similar that genuinely evokes a sense of discovery and exploration in the same way.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Bomberman has a special place in my childhood because I was too fuckin stupid to beat it. Never had any trouble with stuff like Zelda or other puzzle focused games but I would rent Bomberman 64 all the time and just couldn't figure it out for the life of me and I don't know why.

Fantastic music too.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Skyward Sword did a lot of good stuff and theoretically a remaster would be good because it's the perfect opportunity to cut out the excessive turorialization that most people justifiably complain about and smooth over a few other rough edges.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Really you could do Skyward Sword without motion control. In practice the sword would always go in one of eight planes; Vertical/horizontal and the two diagonals, with the ability to start from either end of those lines. Was basically a more restricted version of Metal Gear Rising's zandatsu mode where every fight was one of those moments where you needed to cut along a specific line. Using the right stick to aim swings in the same way in SS honestly would probably wind up being better.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Andrast posted:

It would be horrid and make the bad zelda even worse

I really don't necessarily think it would though. Again, even though the motion tracking was more or less 1 to 1 with the sword, once you actually swung the thing it would essentially lock it into the closest of those eight vectors compared to what you did. Project an onscreen indicator as to where your swing's line is falling and flick the stick in that direction and you've got the exact same thing. What I was thinking of in saying it may actually work better is that in original SS once you understood this system it boiled down to a slow movement to cock the Wiimote in the right line followed by the actual swing, but sometimes if you moved too quickly in the "setup" so to speak you'd swing on accident and bounce off. Wouldn't really have that kind of fuckup if you're just using a stick.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Rocket Slime is an important game to have for your Nintendo DS system

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah it's battlefield positioning, and honestly I think there's a sizeable chunk of people who hate musous because it may be one of the harshest contrasts in terms of appearance versus gameplay. I feel like a lot of times the people who absolutely hate them say that it's due to them just being repetitive button mashers and not being deep action games they expect them to be, when the combat is secondary to managing the larger battle. Your character is an unstoppable force, it's just a matter of placing them in the right spot at the right time when there are half a dozen leaks you need to plug.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Diddy Kong Racing is the game that consistently comes to my mind when thinking about where you go from Mario Kart 8. Move past the gliders and hovercraft/anti-gravity stuff and just go with full on planes and poo poo for certain tracks. Also lean into that single player campaign stuff as well and add some more meat to it beyond the standard array of cups at different CCs. Also gently caress it and just make it Nintendo Kart since you've already got Zelda, Splatoon and Animal Crossing in there.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Shiren is legit the best take on an accessible user-friendly roguelike. A perfect split of the really conventional structure of the genre while keeping the scope and mechanics reigned in enough so that it's not obtuse and overwhelming. And it's all wrapped in a really cool theme. Played 5 to death on the Vita and am unreasonably excited for the Switch version for new content and an active rescue scene. If you like classic style roguelikes at all get Shiren without question.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

People deciding to get hyperbolic about DK 64 in recent years trying to claim it's bad is some bullshit revisionist history. It's a masterpiece and by god I won't stand for this anymore.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

There is no greater pleasure in life than multi colored bananas and various types of coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Biggest thing with going back to og Mario 64 after who knows how long is that I didn't remember inclined surfaces being so loving dangerous. You look at one the wrong way and Mario immediately does a pratfall and goes rocketing off the level.