Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Your team could win the super bowl, you could get a new job, the company you invest in could have their product improved and make you money. Imagine feeling excited for anything that didnt just already happen

super b owl. new job. switch that is 200mhz faster. tear s are streaming down my face considering each of these possibilities and these idiots dare tell me im wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I definitely will for SMTV but all the reviews for SMT3 say it's a little too old fashioned while SMTIV (the one that blew peoples pants off I think?) is stuck on the 3DS.

3 is at least 5000x better than 4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

What golf game has more than 6 courses? As long as the gameplay is fine I don't care. The entire point of golf is the replayability, especially if it has random weather elements.

every golf game in history

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

agreed. them putting even more differences with different gyms in each vers and then selling a double pack with them both is just a weird coincidence

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bleck posted:

no see, capitalism is a completely flawless system, so anything that a business chooses to do must therefore be a genius and completely heartless move of exploitative consumerism

u really dont see why they released two versions and up until swoshi then released a third version or second pair of games with minor updates lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bleck posted:

yeah yeah business and stuff

[my giant brain expands as i ascendn above the plebs] they sell a double pack for no reoasn. the third vers was a kindness to the gamers. the gym variations are to encourage social interaction.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

The best part of Sword and Shield is that I'm irl friends with That Guy who hated them off the rip with Dexit but still pre-ordered both games for his collection

thats sucha good type of guy to be lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't care about Dexit but I thought Sword and Shield were pretty bad honestly. The monster design and music were great but I didn't like the region, the characters, the 5 minutes of plot, or the wild area and raid mechanics, or even the gigantamax stuff.

agreed i hated all that fun stuff thatt owned. wish the game was bad instead :cheers:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Walla posted:

It's no worse than collecting Pops or Amiibo or anything else.

exactly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lodin posted:

I'm not allowed to post about it on the forum, but look up Lust for Darkness. There's also Agony, but the framerate can get pretty rough on Switch.

very cool and normal post and rap sheet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

il ove the portable console. however nintendo must make it hot and big instead so it isnt portable so bad ports run better. reggie must respond.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kirios posted:

nah you're right tech has definitely stayed the same as it was in 2015(which is when the cpu and gpu on the Switch was first released). no point in doing anything else.

wait until you find out the soc is downclocked even when docked ahhh!!! lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kneeling at my bedside each hnight and bowing my head "please make a huge $500 switch that becomes hotter ethan the sun. i need it. its impossible for A Hat In Time to run on the samem machine as mario odyssey without it"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if u want better versions of stuff like a hat in time and hades ask the devs bcos its not like the system is somehow unable to handle super mario sunshine and 2d roguelike

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Have you seen the vid for Ark on Switch? It's a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kN73PuygI

Granted the game is A) awful and B) an awful running piece of poo poo no matter where it is (installing it on PC with the DLC is now like 250GB or some poo poo) but it's still really funny

lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

using my gamer brain to demand swithching to a new soc that uses much more contested and complex processes in the middle of a chip shortage to get more ports no one bought on the console thahts selling so quickly its probably going to hit ds levels

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch is for nintendo games which run (checking notes) like loving trash

all urn like a dream on my lite. mayhaps you have the wrong switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a.lo posted:

my dude, have you tried playing mario kart on the Switch?

was thinking this too. mario kart is really good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i played botw on a lite in 2019 and there were maybe 2 frame drops total. cannot speak for anyone playing the wrong way however

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bleck posted:

people say things like "hades runs badly" and what they mean is "if you get the very near maximum amount of particle effect-creating items and then waiting until a screen is full of enemies and then repeatedly spawning as many different effects as the game can possibly handle then the framerate drops and it completely ruins the game"

lol wait it doesnt even run badly?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Imagined posted:

God drat you guys are like when I visit my grandma and try to get her to stop watching the 480p 4:3 channel stretched out to 16:9 on her 60" 4K TV. "It looks fine I can't even see what you're talking about!" Your low standards / poor eyesight / lack of anything to compare it to are not arguments.

i can tlel the difference but switch being cheap and portable trumps matching other consoles or whatever. i have a pc for that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hatty posted:

Hades runs fine for me but I just play in Handheld. No clue about the Hat game, someone compared it to DK64 so I refuse to partake

whaht the. no!!! its mario lol its really good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

I too believe that nintendo should never make their portable consoles more powerful, what a loving stupid thing to suggest, i see no reason to stop playing the gameboy

but the switch is significantly more powerful than the 3ds. so theyve already done waht you wanted.

everyone inexplicably confused about why u would use a cheaper and easier to make part so the entry point to your portable platform isnt $500 lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its going to owon when the switch pro does actually exist but its just the same chip still with a clock speed bump and only 2 games use it lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

Yes, and you seem to be suggesting that Nintendo just stop making hardware with the OG Switch for some reason?

thats right. saying it shouldnt be replaced 4 years after it launched is the same as saying it should never be replaced. pointing outu a mid gen refresh would probably have to be pretty modest is also that somehow. you def understand whats going on, and can read :cheers:

American McGay posted:

Blame the devs dude. Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 are some of the best looking games I've seen in years.

been saying this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

multijoe posted:

Nintendo have historically released a new mainline console every five years and the Switch is now four years old. I get a revision may not be possible with the transistor shortage and whatnot but the people insisting it's not a clearly aging console are just being obstinate at this point

historically they havnt. the consoels they replaced in 4-5 years didnt sell well, where as stuff like the wii or the ds or the 3ds were out for 6-7 years before being replaced.

Tender Bender posted:

I agree games can look great on Switch but even games on this page that are listed as examples of how to do it right like Mario Odyssey and MH Rise run below 1080p on it. It's not just an optimization problem. Breath of the Wild was a premiere in-house launch title and wasn't able to do it.

who cares. the focus is clearly on making hardware that is cheap and works well for a handheld system. the focus is not on resolution. this has apparently worked insanely well given that its already outsold everything theyve ever made that isnt the ds, gb or wii. most people dont care about it not hitting 1080p as much as it being reasonably priced and having good games. mario odyssey and mh rise look and play amazing lmao

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's no chance in hell we're going to see any more games of the calibre of Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal now that development has mainly switched over to the new generation of consoles. That's entirely a hardware limitation.
Me and the people with my position demonstrably exist however the people I am arguing against with the opposite opinion demonstrably don't, for reasons!

why should the console everyone buys to be portable and play nintendo games be focused around the games people dont buy on it instead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I mean I've been playing Nocturne HD and the fact that a port of a nearly 20 year old game drops to a single digit framerate on occasion is pretty silly

thats not the switch though. ive been playing it on my pc and ive had the fps dip like that lol the port is just... not very well made

Tender Bender posted:

Like we're not on Nintendo's board no one here is going to actually make any changes, you don't need to position other posters as straw men to win this argument that affects nothing. It's not saying "I think games should be graphics first and I don't care about the fine gameplay quality at Nintendo" to say you'd like to buy a Switch that's less obsolete so games can look a little better.

no but you are going to endlessly complain which is even worse

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't care that much about graphics either but if you don't think most people care about them idk what to tell you, a lot of people really care. enough that rockstar can keep making prettier versions of the most successful video game of all time and keep selling it. you don't think nintendo wants some of that money? lol

youre saying this like gta 5 wasnt already out when they were developing the switch. if they had wanted it to be able to run it it would, so no they apparently dont care lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's a lot to unpick here but you're demonstrating a total lack of understanding of what makes Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal great games, and the fact that they were able to be ported over to the Switch at all indicates that the core experience of those games is still high quality enough that it could survive the transition to significantly slower hardware. They've sold well and been enjoyed by many people on the Switch and there certainly exists that market for people who want to have those kind of experiences on a portable platform.

The official sales lists stuffed with Nintendo published games only include physical copies so it's absolutely impossible to quantify what's doing well digitally, but circumstantially from my personal library I have like 12 physical and 50+ digital games, and the availability of so many excellent indie ports and multiplatform games on the Switch is a big reason why I got one back in 2018. Unfortunately now since I've recently built a PC I've barely touched the Switch because I can get most of those multiplatform games on the PC and play them in much much better quality so that combined with the pandemic meaning I'm barely travelling has given me very little impetus to pay the Switch Tax when I can get a better experience elsewhere.

lmao insanely funny to go "well the official sales show the ports didnt sell well. however i bought them. therefore:"

Science_enthusiast posted:

Thanks for identifying my problem my mistake. Didnt Nintendo officially say that they consider it to be mid lifecycle late last year https://www.vg247.com/2020/12/21/nintendo-switch-halfway-life-cycle/
Hence now its a little over half way. Until this generation the very idea of buying a nintendo console to play cross platform stuff would be ridiculous. Its very clearly not the focus of the company to put graphical fidelity first.

please dontn use things like facts. the 4 year old switch is dead in the water and reggie must make switch 2 NOW

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think that's true but who knows. either way, replace gta 5 with any major release that touts its graphics as a main selling point. the ps5 is out of stock until 2025 for a reason. it's because people want to play really nice looking games.

which part??? it came out in 2013, 4 years before the switch. the ps5 is out of stock bcos of a chip shortage that doesnt impact the switch as heavily because its old soc is much easier to producec and more foundrys are capable of pumping them out. by that logic the switch should never have sold any units because the ps4 pro, xbonx and pc could already run things better than it when it launched. mayhaps its a different product, fufilling a different use case, and thats why it does well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's not what I said and you and the other guy are doing an excellent job of demonstrating the performative stupidity I was talking about earlier, although at this point it looks more like actual stupidity.

spinning around in my desk chair yelling performative stupidity so i dont have to defend the dumb garbage i cant stop spewing over the thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

How many physical games do you own vs digital?

what evidence do you have that they sold well given that the fervor for making the ports dried up immediately. the only sales figures we have show they didnt do as well as would be expected from big name titles, and the absence of more ports even of titles from the same gen as the witcher 3 would seem to indicate there was not enough demand to warrant bigger devs pushing more titles over. however on the other hand, you bought them therefore itss impossible to work out whats going on. if "guy who cant shut up about how the switch is weak" bought them then they must have done well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think the switch could run gta 5 that well but idk and that wasn't the point i was making, the point is that people really care about good graphics. good graphics are not mutually exclusive with the switch being handheld. if they made a switch with really good graphics they would probably sell a shitload of them. even though some people in this thread don't care about it.

also, lol, the ps5 is also out of stock because it sold insanely fast. like really, really fast.

the switch sold out at launch, and then a second time at the start of the pandemic. therefore no one cares about graphics and the ps5 and series x should switch to arm socs and become portable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

And do you want to engage with the actual point I made, that the availability of many cross platform indie games is hypothetically a big reason why many people bought a switch, rather than trying to 'gotcha' me over a factual point I made about the availability of statistics for physical vs digital game sales?

sir would you like to engage with my hypothetical i cannot prove instead of trying to gotcha me over facts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

anyone else looking forward to smt5

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the swithc pwns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don't own Doom Eternal nor Witcher 3 on the Switch and I was mainly talking about indie multiplatforms of which I have many digitally downloaded. I'm going to pre-empt whatever 'aha!' you think this is and say it isn't and you need drastically better reading comprehension. I don't think the lack of Witcher 4 or Doom Whatever on the Switch will in and of itself doom the Switch to irrelevance. My argument is that the runaway success of the Switch is in part based on the much better support it's had from 3rd party developers compared to previous console generations, and now that the other manufacturers have advanced their hardware, that support will start to dry up unless Nintendo advances their hardware to a level that still allows for indie developers to port over their titles without having to devote more development time and resources than they think is worth it.

Nintendo having excellent first party games is a given, and wasn't enough to make people buy the Wii U. Evidently a huge part of the Switch's success is down to the form factor. I would say an equally important factor was the availability of a shitload of great indie and otherwise multiplatform games. Maybe you disagree and think that the install base is now large enough that Nintendo could take a poo poo on everyone else and keep sales momentum high but history suggests not, and I don't think it's controversial to believe that a Switch Pro or whatever is close to release to give developers a bit more power to carry on supporting the Switch as well as it has been.

i dont onw these games, however i will keep yelling about them in the thread where everyone wants me to shut up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Based atlus saving the switch for me this winter

thinking about the windter period. snuggled up with a hot coco and shin megami tensei 5. jack frost, we will meet again

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the xbox pwns too but thats a story for a differnt thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean gently caress me for trying to have a discussion in the Switch discussion thread. You think the Switch is solely successful because it's a handheld Nintendo console with lots of good Nintendo games. I think it's successful because it's a handheld console with lots of good Nintendo games and also lots of good multiplatform games. This position doesn't deserve the ridiculous straw manning I got from you and the hyper light drifter av.