Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hating on Wet Dry World and Tick Tock Clock in the thread?! My goons, please. Where is the hate for Dire Dire Docks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Wet Dry World is the 90s-est Nintendo thing and for that reason alone it is supreme.

Yeah I mean tbh every part of that game fills me with joy and it's a masterpiece and I can't be mad at it

Also thanks to this thread I got Death Road to Canada and it's been an absolute blast to play with my roommates. 9/10 my only gripe is that the player-to-character binding easily gets shifted around and we've lost a couple of runs due to everyone mistakenly walking into a scrum of zombies

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

E: what they said ^^^

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hades is like giving me strong Dream Daddy vibes and I love it

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bought goose game, 2 player mode is live! I'm so glad I held off on playing the game until now. What a honk!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good 2d sidescroller? I'm in the mood for something Metroidvania-ish or possibly something with RPG elements. For example, is Phoenotopia Awakening any good?

Guacamelee (2)

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

The only tiny thing I don't like about hades is that when orpheus is singing in the house of hades and you enter your bedroom, they slap a lowpass filter on the music without better shaping it and changing the reverb so it actually sounds like it's coming from down the hallway in a different room. As a sound designer it just itches at my ear. I mean, it's a teeny tiny inconsequential thing in an otherwise fantastic game. If it wasn't so well-polished in ever other way I probably wouldn't notice

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Be prepared for your soldiers to die. They are but tears in the rain. Also, abuse every advantage you have: overwatch and grenades when possible, also concealment for optimum positioning. Don't worry too much if u get caught by surprise by mechanics and enemy abilities. There's no Shane in save spamming especially while you're still getting the hang of how to play optimally. Have fun!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Be careful with Overwatch! It can be a real noob trap as it causes the enemy to be less likely to move, and more likely to shoot. In a lot of cases that makes you more likely to die. Use it when an enemy is very likely to move (eg. They're melee, out of cover, or can't see you).

Also, 80% to hit means a 1 in 5 chance to miss. A lot of new players mentally round up any hit chance of 80 or higher to 100% and get angry and reload if they miss. Don't do that! It wrecks the game and you get laughed at by veterans. Get used to mitigating risk, have a plan for what to do if you miss your shots and do not gamble a soldier's life on even reasonable odds.

Excellent points! Mitigating risk is the main thing. Play the percentages, always expect that you might miss an easy shot or that the energy might crit an unlikely one. I neglected to say that overwatch abuse has to synergize with enemy movement, thanks. I usually have most of my squad back out of range, and draw the monsters into their death using a runner (backed up with remote heals and aid protocols)

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

All of my stored XCOM knowledge is starting to flow back like a Nam flashback reading this!

:xcom:

Teenage memories of XCOM: Terror From the Deep haunt me still. Reluctantly clicking on a terror mission knowing that half my squad won't make it back. The screams of the civilians, the humming of Deep Ones. The nighttime.

Hyrule warriors is kinda fun because it feels like I have a whole BotW playset and I'm just smashing Link into bokoblins and laughing like a child

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm going to save you bit of trouble. Heat resistance that game is not the same as fire resistance. Heat resistance is what you want for tooling around the desert. Fire is what you find on Death Mountain. For fire resistance, vague spoiler to give you an idea of where to look try asking around the stables at the foot of Death Mountain.

On my first playthrough I didn't know the difference, and instead of following what literally everyone at the base of the mountain was telling me I said "gently caress it" and ran to Goron City eating a meal every 30 seconds. I just love picturing that in my mind. Think of the cramps.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

The correct way to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark was with the C buttons as forward/back/strafe, and the joystick to aim and turn

:haibrow:

License to kill
Pistols only
No auto-aim

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Callback to the discussion a few pages ago, my wife and I fell in love with Hades in large part because of its resemblance to another fine and horny game. Dunno who else to show this picture to, so here ya go, you horny goons!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Poque posted:

Two Ares and no Skelly? 0/10

If having a double crush on Ares is a crime then arrest me

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

man, these championship belts look a lot different than i remember

What is this? I'm fascinated

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Congrats! The crystal beam is savage, especially with the extra demeter upgrade boons and artemis duo upgrade. Brutal.

I was reluctant to add heat too, but once I started playing with it it was fun to adjust play style and try to balance the risk v reward for more titan blood etc

Tip: give extreme measures lvl 1 a try regardless :)

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Muk Dumpster posted:

I don't get animal crossing

Simple living in a complicated world

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Am I the only one who likes them horses without the instant summon? I liked the way it added to my favorite aspect of the game, where everyday stuff becomes a mini quest in it's own right. I've been playing master mode on and off with a No Horse Left Behind mentality and it's really fun (to me).

But then I'm also in the "still climbing them mountains just to watch the sunset" gang

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I just gotta CRAZY SKY DESTROYE

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Took 15 mins for monster hunter to start downloading for me. Wow, what an information-heavy game! I'm overwhelmed.

Also, only 4 more sleeps until Wrestling Empire!!!!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Only two sleeps remain to be sleep'd!

I've been playing WWF 2000 on the N64 in anticipation :mmmhmm:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

japtor posted:

Wrestling Empire is out, there's a demo and launch discount:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wrestling-empire-switch/

Hell yessss can't wait to re-make and follow the career of our house champion of N64 Wrestlemania, Devinnal J!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Wrestling Empire is just :discourse:

My fledgling wrestler was backing up his coach in a prize match and set fire to the arena accidentally, incapacitating himself. After the match, someone paid him $100 to beat up another wrestler in the back room with a steel pipe. It's like dwarf fortress but with wrestlers

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Wrestling Empire is increadible but I sure wish that the main song wasnt what it is. The rest of the music is great.

Dors anyone know how to counter? Is it just mashing?

Yeah the main song gets on my nerves fast. I'm trying to just think of it as part of the janky ambience, imagining a 2000s rap-metal band from the boonies who legitimately thinks this is the most intense wrestling realness and their career is gonna pop off along with their proprietary vape blend thanks to MDickie

Actually now that I say it out loud i kinda wish them the best

I haven't figured out how to counter, and also, how do you tag out your teammate when you're both human players? I keep having to switch my player to cpu when my wife needs to tag out (and vice versa)

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

The song is growing on me unfortunately. I can confirm that tagging in is done by walking towards your partner when they are standing on the edge of the ring (as of you wanted to walk out).

The game is such a wierd contradiction of suprisingly solid and thoughtful mechanics, and horrific jank/ illogical UI design.

I'm starting to suspect that to fully immerse myself in the game I'll have to regularly switch the character I'm controlling so that I can play out the wrestling script I'm imagining... Like, it's not about winning with my wrestler all the time, but rather putting on a good show for the fans and watching the rivalries and hilarious drama play out

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Bought Wrestling Empire and I'm kind of disappointed at the defensive options. But the main thing against it is the obtusiveness of a lot of stuff about it. Is there a manual anywhere for it?

Someone linked to it earlier, it's on the MDickie website

It doesn't cover absolutely everything in detail but for better or worse that fits with the game's janky charm. It's definitely frustrating to get pummeled and sometimes the cpu just never even gets it over with and pins you. I was even trying to lose because my boss told me to!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

I believe Newbie Nate is the only character that's fully customizable with name/appearance/etc. I don't think that was explained anywhere in the game, but someone in my stream last night helped direct me to him.

In my experience you can go to Edit Mode and change anyone's name and build and costume etc as long as they aren't your current career character (who has to pay to change their gimmick in game). The only thing i haven't figured out how to change is skin tone!?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

I helped the wrestlers in my franchise unionize and Mat Dickie got so mad that he challenged me to a steel cage match the next week where I beat the poo poo out of him with stairs.

Rise up! I've been unionizing in 3 leagues so far. I feel like a revolutionary

Ersatz-Trump died of natural causes at the age of 64 in my career mode, and I didn't know he was even in the roster! Truly the unremarkable footnote in history i always wanted him to be

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Potentiometers will always fail, eventually. Unless they're super fancy they measure position by scraping a bit of conductive material against a pad of conductive material. All that scrapin' gonna git ya

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

External Organs posted:

Is there some kind of accessory that would let me attach the switch like on some kind of swivel thing above my bed or a next to a chair so I can super lazy and not even hold it with my hands?

I'd probably use the pro controller etc.

Help me goons!

jackhunter64 posted:

Dominate your return to the office by spending break time wearing this rigout and doing squats while using the pro controller.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

We came across a free couch co-op game today that i haven't seen mentioned yet. It's, uh, a PETA production!? Called Kitten Squad, and it's a mix between a mediocre cartoon twin stick shooter and watercolor cutscenes with graphic depictions of animal cruelty. Kinda worth it just for the absurdity. Plus it's 4 player!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Typically when I see dudes get injured I try to end the match as quickly as possible, and this guy took a bump literally ten seconds into the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNr2-RRNDI

That scream tho, gets me everytime

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

But... Taking to people *is* gameplay!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

You can smash at least 1 dude by talking to NPCs

:discourse:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

So I never really got into apex so I dunno how it stacks up compared to other versions but it's really loving weird the gyro aiming only works on the y axis and there's no options around gyro aiming at all as far as I can tell. Given that's the only reason to bother playing a shooter game on switch Im gonna pass.

There are options in the settings under "motion control". It works in both axes for me seemed fine maybe it's because I bought a switch pro

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I'm sad that Mario 35 is gone now. My wife really liked it and was getting really good at it and I loved watching her play after work. She dropped the mic and retired a day early after she finally achieved maximum Lakitu, surfing along the clouds level after level. It was beautiful and I'll never forget it.

:gbsmith:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

A couple of quick reviews, don't remember seeing these ones mentioned:

PHOGS!

Only played the demo so far

2 player (or 1p2c) coop game where you play as two ends of a sausage dog. You can bark, you can do 4 emotes, and you can stretch your sausage body very long. Which end poops? It depends! Some puzzles involve becoming a water hose by biting a faucet with one head and barfing water out the other.

You can also eat giant popcorns and steal pizzas.

It's like a more constrained, more adorable version of Human Fall Flat. Spouse and I laughed all the way through the demo. I could see this being a great choice for kids. Chill, easy and fun.

Thief Simulator

Picked it up for $2.50 and we're so happy we did. It's exactly the kind of janky bullshit that I had hoped for, and so much more. It's like someone really earnestly wanted to make a simulation of being a burglar, and had a lot of bright ideas, but just didn't have the chops to pull it all together.

Drive around in your hatchback, creep on households to learn their patterns, steal valuables like pots and pans and vases! Spend 2 minutes opening and closing your car door because you can't figure out the interface! Don't sell all the loot though---save some for your swanky thief hideout. Yes, as it ends up you can decorate your home!

I'm still learning more as I go. Just unlocked agility lvl 1, which allows me to throw bricks! Can't wait.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Feel the same way. I bought it for like a dollar and, yeah, someone really wanted to make a burglary game and just had a budget of like twenty bucks and a pizza, but all in all it's pretty fun, and surprisingly tense when your in a house with someone else trying to grab whatever you can, hoping they don't leave the living room.

Also there's a point you reach where you can steal cars and completely disassemble them. I'm talking literally taking out each bolt and screw of an engine as you pull every piece of it apart to sell or discard, it's wild that this is just in the game as a side thing.

Also, you can decorate your place with stolen stuff, what?

It's giving me shades of mdickie in terms of "I already wrote this code for the last game, so why not?"

And yes I hang stolen art on my thief walls and I refused to sell my Yomaha Acoustic Guitar on Black Bay. I need it to relax before sleeping on my thief couch after a day of thieving!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Lodin posted:

Like I said earlier, it's published by PlayWay who already have great games like Car/Truck/Train/Plane/Tank/Mars Rover and Mech Mechanic Simulator. As far as I know they all use the exact same engine and systems for taking stuff apart so it makes total sense that they slapped it in here as well.

Ah thanks for the background info! Now I'm actually excited for the next game. I'm hoping for something like "facilities management at a large tech campus simulator".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Lodin posted:

Well they do have this thing coming later this year and it looks pretty much like a sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5nPH4WyipE

Holy crap, this is great news! I love the combination of janky engine and ever-more ambitious scope. It's a good year for thieves... 80s thieves, that is :dukedog: