Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The KORG Gadget synthesizer just got updated and I can't find any notes anywhere or anything different in the app. Haven't seen an update in forever, thought it might be new modules added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

skull mask mcgee posted:

It’s just a minor update (3.6.1 -> 3.6.2) so it’s probably just bug fixes. The last one I can find patch notes for is 3.6 back in June.

Makes sense, didn't catch the small increment in version.

In my yearly review thing, KORG was only a little bit behind Animal Crossing, like 120 vs 100 hours. Really have come to love it, the iPad version touch controls just don't feel as quick to me as the joycons and I can use them to compose stuff while doing elliptical or whatever. The lack of ability to easily export songs as MP3s - you can only generate a QR code into the OSX or iOS versions which have export - is the biggest gripe. The devs claim this is due to Nintendo's rules on generating arbitrary files on the hard drive? Otherwise it's really fun to tinker with even if you aren't very musical. even has local multiplayer mode. Lots of instrument presets and a randomizer to encourage you to just play in a sandbox with a random collection of starter instruments. I have made a handful of songs during quarantine and ended up ordering a capture card to easily export them to share with friends (you can't even use the capture button to get 30 second snippets, its disabled for the game). The 3DS also has a KORG app but I never tried it.

Here's a short tune I made yesterday evening in about 90 minutes of smoking weed and having fun with it. Seen lots of really impressive pro-sounding work on YT too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqbGtcZAmbE

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Does the SNES version of Mario World not keep track of getting all 5 yoshi coins in a level? I remember on the GBA there was a checklist of some kind but it seems like maybe that was an addition because I can't find one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I will commence ignoring the yoshi coins then. I just got to Chocoland in Mario World after beating New Mario Wii U Deluxe recently in prep for the new one this weekend. I still hate the trick forest and all ghost houses, don't make me solve puzzles to jump on heads! And now this new level is saying "this level changes depending on your score and coins!", great.

I think if New SMB Deluxe had a fresher art style it would be viewed as more of a classic. Even without the Luigi half it's really solid and having play a ton of Mario Maker 2, it made me appreciate Nintendo's consistency and quality more. It was fun and took a while and I didn't even visit two of the worlds. (the save system is dumb) Some great stuff on MM2 but it's a fine line to walk. I wondered at the time if MM2 would kill 2D mario going forward, but imagine if NSMB had Wario Shake's art style, or whatever. I don't love the yarn/craft style but I wish Mario got more experiments like that - Super Paper Mario was a tease. Mega Man 11 was good example.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I definitely do not want to listen to Mario's normal voice for a whole movie. CM voicing Luigi for gag bits is good. Maybe it's best if neither of them talk much and they just emote like the GBA RPG.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My prediction, Nintendo Swatch. A watch that you can play switch games on while holding joycons. You can play during meetings, people will just think you're super punctual.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was just coming to recommend Blazing Star.

I'm also curious about Pawarumi, anyone played that one? Seems mechanically Ikaruga-esque.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just got Ghosts 'n Goblins Remastered. Really love the art style... would kill for Capcom to spring for a Tomba remaster/sequel in a similar vein.

I've heard it's really difficult like the old ones, that's what I like to hear.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

japtor posted:

That’s the shmright on Neo-Geo right? In the back of my head I think there’s another one but never got into any on there to know for sure.

The only other one I've played much of is Pulstar, which is the predecessor to Blazing Star. So similar but a little rougher. Also horizontal.

e: also an ACA title.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

japtor posted:

Someone asked about Pawarumi before

That was me - thanks for the write-up!

Fly Ricky posted:

Infinity Gauntlet. I will fight you over this. The one table with Zen gimmicks that are actually cool. (AFAIK there isn't a Doom table; you talking Fantastic Four?)

edit: additionally I have invented the genre of "Pinlikes". There are currently three games: Yoku's Island Express, Odama, and Momonga Pinball Adventures. All Rights Reserved ©

I liked the IG table too years ago (and the Thanos VA they got) but Pinball FX3 is different from Zen Pinball and has more real-life tables in addition to the originals. It has Bethesda tables and even stuff like Bob's Burgers and Aliens.

Star Wars isn't there, that became its own package, and unfortunately the Marvel tables aren't there either. Haven't played them since the PS3 days.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Anyone been playing Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection? Is it any good?

Yes and it's fantastic but brutally difficult even compared to the older ones. I had to go down a difficulty and I'm about 5 levels in now, really tightly designed. I'm enjoying it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nintendo Life is understandably gushing about most stuff, but they give pretty fair reviews to many titles including niche ones like Murder By Numbers and other indies so I like them for their scope.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Flashbacks of playing Animal Crossing DS with the USB wifi thing around Xmas. The Wii being fussy with our old router. God internet used to be such a pain in the rear end. I barely think about it now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Some level pictures as I sit in the waning days of Mario Month, considering whether to fold and buy Mario 3D All-Stars or hold firm on the assumption they'll come out piecemeal later with Galaxy 2.

https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1377043992181944327

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Worklurker posted:

I didn't buy it out of principle. This is the disney vault bullshit all over again.

TheScott2K posted:

They're not gonna release them individually, they're never gonna do GameCube on NSO, and Galaxy 2 is never coming out.

This is pretty much where I landed on it. Can just keep the Wii U in the wings and not give Nintendo money for that behavior.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Love Nintendo's creatives and most of their AAA efforts. Really hate a lot of aspects of them as a company and how they run their business. Just feels like they tolerate their customers at best sometimes. Ironically they'd get a lot more money from me if they'd relax on the "$60 all the time!" attitude for their digital games at a bare minimum, I buy so many games on a whim because Sony/Steam makes them cheap, whereas a game like Tropical Freeze I've wanted since launch and never caught on sale so I'll just keep getting those instead. Their star has fallen in my eyes as I've gotten older, and I lined up at midnight for a Wii. But the digital rom of Mario 64 I bought for it back then (second time) is non-transferable and they just took down the Switch-compatible version of it for if my kid gets one and at some point you decide, ok that's enough times now. RetroArch it is Nintendo, good job I guess.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

If you've spent years wanting a game maybe just buy it?

I have it on the Wii U, but that's packed away and the digital version doesn't transfer. I've got enough games to not just buy things anymore if I think they are overpriced. Rayman Legends is a somewhat comparable game for example and it's $7, Crash trilogy HD came out later and is $20, just lame that DK still isn't $20 or $30 by now like the 3DS one was after a couple years. Their big sale last year it was still $40. Wish they had a more lenient attitude about their prices like the other big stores do, especially when games like Mario Party Switch aren't exactly boundary-pushing in terms of content.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I only gave Ubisoft Crash example because I consider it roughly on par with DKC2, polished and fun but not perfect and annoyingly over-hard to 100%. Odyssey and BotW I happily got for $60, re-releases and Mario Party Switch-quality games, not so much. A non-Ubi example might be RE2 and Uncharted 4 going for $15 during sales now, I don't think think consumers consider those inferior. It's fine if the market strategy is that DKC is a prestige title and thus shalt not go below $40, but as a consumer I don't really agree so I'll just keep it in the Wii U box. FWIW I'd also roll my eyes if Sony said the Uncharted trilogy HD remaster was going off the PS store on March 31 for no reason, whether I bought it already or not.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Prime for me, then Zero Mission (my first) tied with Super, then Fusion, but all those are great. Prime 2 is also good but the two colors stuff is not great, haven't played Prime 3 since 2008 but playing the primes with Wii controls felt so perfect. Same with RE4 and 5 on wii/ps move. Wonder how they'd handle a prime 3 port.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I played Pac-Man for the first time that wasn't at a pizza parlor when it was cheap on PS4 for like $1, it was the OG and Ms. Pac-Man both. I spent a weekend just playing them, learning how the ghosts work and strategies and stuff. I didn't get very good but it slowly started to hook me despite it being simple and me never really liking that era of games too much (I grew up on NES but Atari/older arcade always felt old even in 1992). Ultimately I looked up "optimal strategy" for Pac-Man 1 to get the final trophy and it was pretty interesting learning about how it's a solved game and so on. Gist of it is, Ms. Pac-Man obviates the original in pretty much every way.

I am definitely not good at it and I haven't tried any of the newer neon Pac-Mans, but I would say I get it now. Compared to a lot of games from that era, it's more engaging.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The MK dlc introduced Zelda, Animal Crossing, FZero tracks and I really hoped it meant a Nintendo Kart would be the next step ala Smash. Quiet ever since.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Another evening playing Conduct Together. Really fun puzzle game if you see it on sale. Static screen with train gates and different color stations, you have to use buttons mapped to the switchboards to route trains around the maps without crashing into each other or local traffic and deliver X number of passengers to the matching colors. It quickly escalates into mind-bending, I'm nearing the last world and it requires a lot of concentration and trial and error, but when it finally works you feel like that bit in docter strange where he reads a million copies of the book at once. As the name suggests you can do local multi to share the brainload but I haven't tried that.

(random review for screenshots)
https://www.vooks.net/conduct-together-switch-eshop-review/

I was initially turned off by the mobile-ish look to it, but it's really polished and I think it's exclusive to nintendo. Recommend if you like me need a picross alternative to S1-5.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It could've been a passable Dreamcast launch game.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
fwiw, CTR has 32 tracks (it included PS1 tracks and the PS2 sequel's tracks as well), plus 12 arena tracks for various timed collection challenges and multiplayer. I think it's harder than MK8 to finish the hardest stuff the game has to offer.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Really, didn't like 5? Loved the trilogy, didn't care for AJ or Investigations and tuned out a while, got 5 and 6 cheap years later and loved 5. The village with the monster costumes, the space station explosion, the orca case, all great. 1,3,5 are my favorites (haven't finished 6 but also liking it better than 2 and 4, on the second-to-last mission).

Day 1 for TGAA and hopefully an AA7.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm not an expert but Giga Wing and Progear were both fine. I used non-fancy view.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That Kirby golf game on the SNES is fun. Calling it golf is a stretch I guess... ricochet mini-golf maybe.

I like playing real golf, golf games are fun, and golf games where you simulate swinging a golf club in motion (I've tried several - wii sports, super swing golf 2, hot shots golf on move, everybody's golf VR) are never as good as just using the buttons imo.

e: Frolf on Wii Sports Resort was good however.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
An homage name like Super Switch or Switch Advance is better than phone-sounding plus or pro, but people seem split on whether it's a big enough jump. A revision is less exciting than a "Switch 2", but I guess the Game Boy -> Game Boy Color shows that it can be done even with revision-exclusive games (a sort of half-sequel).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked Ori except for the boss escape sequences that were really trial-and-error at the expense of spectacle. Enough to get 2 but I haven't started it - but I loved HK and I've heard Ori 2 is more of the bits I liked. Such a pretty game too.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mega Man 9 was at least attainable in that IIRC it was for beating the game without dying (and maybe another for no E-tanks) so you could take it one level at a time and just save after each successful level. If you played through the level 2-3 times it would usually be solvable. But requiring no hits at all is a bit much, you're basically requiring save scumming or whatever which isn't fun.

Elsewhere on the spectrum of trophies is Hollow Knight's "beat all 80 bosses in one go on hard difficulty" coliseum thing. That one went on my list of shame "never to be achieved" trophies along with Vanquish's final challenge and some of the hardest DMC stuff.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Will they create a new *snap* sound effect for super switch ads?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Pros: I had MvC2, SFIII, Project Justice and Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, all arcade machines that we also had at the mall. Perfect for training.

Cons: Only had a Dreamcast controller :negative:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Welcome to game stop, we just got in some New Nintendo Switches but they sold out. We do have new Nintendo Switches in stock however. And one used New Nintendo Switch.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ahhh Metroid Dread in 3 months I'm so happy!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's only anime in the character portraits you see for like 2% of the playtime during a boss cutscene. The other 98% was just like SotN.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
SM has a patch if you play on emulators called Perfect Control or something that adds some of the nice stuff from GBA controls wise but keeps the rest the same.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What is IK? Internet Kounselor? Intermediary Komrade? Installed King?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Anyone who cheers for the corporation getting 'justice' because some people released a few screenshots of a game a little bit before release by suing them into what is at the very least dire financial straits is an idiot. And I say this as a Nintendo fan.

I'm not cheering for anyone, but I'm definitely not feeling sorry for anyone who signed a paper saying "if you leak this, we will sue you and end your career" who then turned around and leaked it. Don't care if it's your neighbor suing you for leaking their book plot they asked you read, if they made the risks clear I don't really care if the punishment is way overwrought, it was completely in your control. That isn't "justice", it's a hilarious misunderstanding of your own responsibility you promised to maintain.

Wage garnishment for 10 years is dumb objectively for such a trivial thing as pictures of a kid's game, obviously. But hey, you opted in.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Recent switch reviews:

Done about 10-15 runs of Slay the Spire over the last week and finally archived it, just not feeling it for whatever reason. Bummed because a lot of people love it which is why I finally got it, but as someone who hasn't played any CCGs the battle system and repetition couldn't keep my interest.

gently caress XC golf. Killed all my momentum in the adventure mode, tornado cliffs are lame.

Nearly through the hardest puzzles in Conduct Together, what a gem. So satisfying to get your reactions and brain to cooperate in flow state in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel like CotM is also the hardest one. There's a sewer level with ice witches that I remember being really difficult.