Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Steam World Quest deckbuilding —

What have you guys been doing? I’ve been keeping 3 of the basic attack cards for each of the party members so I can always build up steam/cogs/whatever

It really depends on the part of the game you're at because characters get cards that massively change how they function together.

Red decks: Honestly, fire-based stuff is amazing here, especially if you're using the mage. You can combine fire buffs to get like +5 stacking fire damage which does absurd amounts of DPS. The only real downside is that if you run into something that absorbs Fire you'll be kinda screwed, so I recommend keeping at least one or two non-fire attacks or ally buffs in your party so you never quite get stuck.

Blue: Jesus, Blue can do anything. Basically tailor it to your other two characters.

Green: Green is almost as good as Blue. If you run Blue-Green-Yellow (which is what I ended up doing) you can apply a shitload of buffs, Don't sleep on the Healing Up card It builds Pressure and giving it to another character who heals can ridiculously improve their healing capabilities.

Yellow- Yellow is a late bloomer but you can either go full physical or if you get one of their swords that boosts magic you can basically make them a lightning mage/healer and they're extremely good at it. The latter is what I did.

Purple: I didn't do much with purple to be honest because the other characters were already so full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reality Sinner posted:

Release the Mother 3 you cowards

I donno. More and more I think that Mother 3 would need some significant edits to get released and that would just piss people off. Like the very name of the Magypsies is a reference to a slur.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

imo if this was true I feel like they wouldn't have just narrowly missed the chance to announce it around E3.

It could very well be that they're saving it for TGS. E3 was kind of a wet fart this year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

HD render of Dr. Wario revealed:

Can I offer you a Diamond in these trying times?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh wow you weren't kidding, I get to bring up this old clip twice in one week.

https://youtu.be/RKkL-e5FfEA?t=30

I was sure it would be this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxb6yzOYF_Q

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TSA would be better if it was a minigames collection

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I have a new loathing and it is Aria Mode.

Sounds like it's an Aria of sorrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah yes, universally reviled game Bloodstained.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

The game is fun but the kickstarter would have been fine without the portrait backer money. It raised a shitload of money.

It's not a big deal but it is very jarring to see double chinned goons in an anime cartoon world of thin faces

It would have been fine but those contributed not insignificantly towards getting a whole lot of stretch goals.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t understand why they couldn’t just make the game sprite based. Better performance and the game would have likely looked better.

I don’t know poo poo about game development so maybe I’m missing something.

Spritework is actually very expensive to develop, significantly more so than 3D models, and there are increasingly few people who are good at it and willing to work for hire.

And that's assuming like really nice high quality stuff like Super Robot Wars does. If you go for something like Timespinner or Katana Zero you run into the risk of people calling it 'old' or 'outdated' looking, even if it's technically executed extremely well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

That would own. UMVC3 would be cool too on Switch. It was on Vita so why not.

Licensing issues most likely, especially after the MvC:I debacle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

yes

for example, per my experience with it this describes ff14 to a tee

Ah yes FF14 well known for its auto attacking gameplay

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

The "kickstarter" made 5 million dollars. This isn't an indie game. It's a good game made by lazy people.

5 million dollars is not a particularly significant game development budget when you're paying people and not expecting a group of 5 to live on ramen in a cardboard box, and the idea that the game runs poorly on the Switch because they were too lazy to type the 'game run good: YES" code is pretty dumb.

It sucks the Switch version runs poorly and they probably could have delayed it to spend more time on it rather than forcing it out (almost) on par with the other versions but they also would have gotten a pretty significant backlash for that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 20, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It came out a week afterwards? How is that not almost on par?

d3lness posted:

What on Gorgon's green earth are you taking about? I can confidently say nobody in this thread thinks it's that easy. If you're not willing to put in the time to optimize for a platform, don't release for that platform.

So do you think they should have delayed all releases to optimize the Switch version, delayed the Switch version, or cancelled the Switch version entirely because they couldn't finish optimizing it by release. (Keeping in mind the Switch version was started later than the other versions because originally they planned a Wii U version and straight-up said it wouldn't work.)

Andrast posted:

Ok, it runs poorly because are bad at making games then

"They are bad at making games" and not, for example, they ran into a deadline? For some reason people assume that any flaws in games are due either to sheer laziness or because they don't know how to press buttan.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 20, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

On par implied you were talking about quality.

Ah, sorry for the confusion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

I'm pretty sure deadlines are a part of making games as is not releasing awful garbage

Fortunately they did not release awful garbage. They released a badly optimized port for one specific console which they are working on patching. You know, things that have happened to a lot of different games.

The idea of "this port is badly optimized at launch, clearly they are INEPT AND DESERVE TO DIE" is pretty loving dumb not in the least because you can point to a *lot* of games that are considered good which had extremely rough launches because the people actually optimizing the game are usually not the same as the people who decide when it launches and even if they say it needs more time they may not get it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 20, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Yeah and the badly optimized port for one specific console is awful garbage.

I don't think other people releasing poo poo is a very good excuse either.

Good to know that the Dark Souls series as a whole is awful garbage. Disappointing but I guess Andrast has spoken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

???

Sorry for judging a consumer product as it currently is I guess

Maybe there exists a level between "this is perfect" and "This is AWFUL GARBAGE and everyone involved with it is bad and lazy!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

d3lness posted:

I'm not going to keep anything in mind. They were responsible for the project. The dev made a choice and executed it poorly. I don't know where they fell short since none of us have insight to that, but it isn't any customer's job to make excuses for their weak results. Just because we don't have the solution in hand doesn't mean we can't recognize and call out a poorly optimized release.

Nobody said you shouldn't call out the bad port. It's just dumb to stick to the "Well any problem with the game is because the developers are bad and lazy and also they should have just cancelled the game" especially because if they cancelled the Switch version just before launch you would be talking about how awful and terrible they are for doing that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

ImpAtom just cannot take criticism of their favorite media.

Where am I saying you can't criticize Bloodstained, either for the port quality or for the game itself? Literally all I said was "hey, problems like this don't generally come from developers being lazy."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Explain Fallout 76 or Anthem.

Sure.

Fallout 76 was pretty clearly rushed out and given a shoestring budget. I think it's lovely that happened and I think Bethesda shouldn't have been so desperate to ride the OPEN WORLD SURVIVAL BATTLE ROYALE train that they basically went "recycle as many FO4 assets as you can." The end result was trying to force a square peg into a round hole in addition to working with a genuinely lovely engine. The project leads should not have let that happen but it isn't because the developers were just being lazy and sleeping the day away.

Anthem was the result of tons of production hell and bad management combined with EA basically going "your game is coming out now gently caress you." This isn't a good thing but I am pretty sure the developers probably were struggling to get the game in a shippable state by launch, not going "eh, we don't care" because they're so lazy.

Neither is a *good thing* and it's 100% fine to criticize that, but going "well it's just because those developers didn't WANT to make a good game, they probably just were dumb and lazy" is silly when more likely than not the actual people working on both games were pulling absurd workweeks for massive crunch time, a well-documented issue in the industry. For some reason people have this idea that development problems are just the result of not trying hard enough and not (as is far more often) the result of being overworked, understaffed and forced to meet certain deadlines come hell or high water. It's corporate greed and lovely capitalism, not the actual grunts going "meeeh"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Never attribute to malice what you can to incompetence.

Unless it's marketing or senior management, then it's vice-versa.

No with marketing and management it's both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Half-Life 2 was responsible for nearly a loving decade of "No, your protagonist can't talk or it's BREAKING MY IMMERSION" design which lead to an infinite number of loving cutscenes which amount to you standing there while someone talks at you in the most awkward stilted way imaginable because conversations are usually not done via one person talking nonstop at someone who never gives any verbal-or-other response. This is a *ton* worse in Half-Life 2 because it has a story specifically about how Gordon Freeman is the most important Messiah in the history of the universe and not some dude who is trying not to die in a mostly dead hellhole.

Doom 2016 shows how to do Silent Protagonist right because while it doesn't have Doomguy talk it does give him a ton of personality through actions in the environment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I got MUA3, getting astral chain and Luigi's Mansion 3, don't know what to spend my last voucher on.

Link's Awakening remake?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

"HL2 is in fact bad" is some peak contrarian goon lol

Half-Life 2 has some incredible and atmospheric areas which are a ton of fun to play. It also just has a lot of really genuinely boring and uninteresting areas. The excellent areas are well worth their praise but they involve digging through a lot of poo poo that is dull as hell or less memorable than Half-Life 1.

More to the point, the plot was impressive for its atmospheric worldbuilding, not it's characters and cutscenes, and the latter tends to dominate an average playthrough while the former (despite being cool as poo poo at the time) has aged poorly because what it did cool is now standard and most games have eclipsed it in that.

It's a game that has a genuinely earned place in video game history but is really hard to play nowadays because its strengths have been copied enough to be standard but its weaknesses are still present as gently caress. I unironically mean it when I say that I enjoy playing Half-Life 1 more than Half-Life 2 now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are there any ways to preserve your save data?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Is fire emblem worth it? I'm kinda flip flopping on purchasing it tonight since tomorrow is payday. I could get it digital and play now, vsf a physical copy and sell it later, or skip on it for now cuz I'm busy and have way too many games to play anyways

My main worry is that it's gonna be too slow but all my podcasts have been talking about it so it makes me wanna scoop it up just to be "in" on the chat. I bet it's gonna drop off the spotlight in a week or two once something else comes out

Anyways I generally do like fire emblem a lot, eh idk

If you like Fire Emblem it's worth it. It's an extremely good FE game whose biggest problem is a somewhat low difficulty and a second half that feels a bit sparse in side content compared to the first half. (It still however has plenty of actual mission length and multiple second half paths.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A major part of TTH's ease is how much excess stuff it gives you. I want to try a run sometime where I just don't do any school stuff beyond the lectures and paralogs and see how that pans out. I feel like if I didn't have the extra levels/stats/items it would probably be better balanced.

That and magic is kind of absurdly overpowered. I guess the limit is supposed to be how often you can use it but the odds of actually running out of magic before a stage ends are pretty slim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesh posted:

How is Steamworld Quest? Worth the $19.99 sale price? How does the combat compare to Slay the Spire? Looks pretty similar in that regard

Steamworld Quest is a lot of fun. It's shamelessly inspired by STS but is pretty different in that it's a more traditional party-based RPG, not a random one. I think it was worth full price and $20 is a good shot at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Grandia HD comes out tomorrow. Is it tomorrow yet? I remember liking the first one, can't remember a thing about the second game.

Also :wtc: is this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1160464599734296577

What the poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whaley posted:

grandia hd collection super good besides that bat's butthole

Unless you're in Germany at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, like I'm sorry. At the moment, with a lot of really horrible poo poo on the rise, you can not just go "oh well it's just their opinion" because shock and awe, they communicate those views to their fans and end up creating more people with similar views.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Violent views??

Yes. There is unreasonable amounts of damage and harm done to people every day because of viewpoints like this. You don't have to be actively going out and knifing people to help contribute to a culture that allows that to happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Is there a second set of Discord screenshots that I'm missing or something? I didn't see anything like this in the ResetEra thread.

There are a whole bunch of them, yes. There was another thread here which posted a bunch of them, their twitter went batshit and started trying to scrub any connection to the things they believed (like the link posted above) and so-on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Can someone link the chat log of a dev wishing death upon trans people?

You do know that violence exists without actively wishing for death, right? The vast majority of bigotry isn't about killing someone and that doesn't prevent violence.

Trans individuals have to suffer literally daily with people saying they are insane or that they don't exist or so-on. This causes them immeasurable harm mentally and physically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Can you link me to something you consider violence then? I'm not defending them at all, I'm just trying to understand the situation. Multiple people in this thread have used terms like "violent views" and "I think people who aren't like me should die" which are pretty absolute terms.

Okay. Here is one big example:

Referring to the act of transitioning as "mutilating a perfectly healthy body." That right there says a lot. It contributes to the idea that transitioning is just 'mutilating your body'. It goes hand-in-hand with the argument that you 'can't know' that you're trans when you are a teenager which is a seriously damaging viewpoint and contributes to younger people who COULD be getting help NOT getting it.

This is the thing. Even the most charitable possible reading of the statement still refers to it as 'mutilating a perfectly healthy body." Even if you took every single thing out, that's still an absolutely disgusting statement to make.

(Dude also drops some anti-vax stuff and anti-vax stuff is dangerous as gently caress.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Thank you for being the only person in this thread to actually answer my question. I understand now.

Sorry if I sound heated, it's just a frustrating situation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Wait a minute

September NES

Sept NES

SNES
:frogsiren:

It's called Super Famtember in Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Wasn’t ZombiU eventually released on other consoles as just Zombi?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest, my knowledge of Terry pretty much begins and ends with "ARE YOU OKAY? BUSTA WOLF"