Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I want to like BotW, I really do, but the fact that the master sword and the abilities you get from the bosses have to be completely used up in order to start recharging just pisses me off on some deep nerd level I can’t get over.

These systems literally incentivize players to waste resources in a game all about managing and conserving your resources.

Every time you use any of these abilities and want to go into any situation after that fresh, you have to just fire off the remaining ability charges at nothing until you’re all out, or slam your sword into rocks just so it breaks, just so you can trigger the recharge that takes 10 minutes.

It is the worst thing about the game, but it’s such a large part of playing that you can’t really ignore it. The idea that this was a deliberate design decision kills me. And it could all have been avoided if they would have just used a normal regenerating resource system like every other game that has ever existed.

Oh, and not being able to mass cook is garbage too.

At least they added in a horse recall system, which means the entire chunk of time they spent developing and implementing horses and horse riding into the game is no longer completely down the toilet for nothing like it was previous to the DLC.

So yeah. BotW is one of those rare games that is 99% awesome but the remaining 1% of design decisions ruin the whole thing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

At every part of development, after another cycle, they would halt development and bake the entire 300 person team play through it to find balance issues and places where things needed to be added

Well if there’s one thing Japanese workers are known for, it is challenging their bosses and directors by telling them what they should or should not have done, and that therefore they are wrong about something.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Um... yeah I think you might have some brain problems if that ruins the game for you. Like what the gently caress dude? It's such a minor thing. I use the Master Sword primarily to hit rocks anyway so that's whatever. The ability generating thing? Once you do the Champion's Ballad, they regenerate so fast that you can pretty much just use them willy nilly. Even if you don't have that, just go find a cliff to jump up or some monster to fry with that last charge?

It's just such a non problem. Letting it ruin the game for you is just. :psyduck:

I think I was so put off by the idea initially that I just kind of stopped playing the game and never really found out if it gets better from there or is negated by some other aspect of the game.

As for the master sword thing, well, it’s the master sword. I’ll admit it is totally my hangup that I think Link should always have it available, or at least available more. But can you at least agree it’s kind of lovely that the master sword has been pushed down to being a rock smasher for most people primarily because the loss of its reliability due to the player never knowing when it’s going to break?

It just makes sense to me that once you get the master sword, you really should be able to just... play the whole game with it and change weapons just for fun or variety. Or at the very least, you should always have it available provided you don’t overuse it.

I wouldn’t even mind if it had much lower durability, but always reset once combat ended. gently caress, anything other than what we’ve got now, really.

Either way, I think the way the master sword breaks after X hits, no matter what, then you have to wait 10 minutes to use it again, is basically the worst possible way they could have implemented it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 17, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Heath posted:

The Master Sword is high fashion and has a very cool sheath so that alone is worth wearing it

THANK YOU!

Seriously though, thanks for the replies everybody. Maybe I was just looking at the game a bit sideways. I always try to just enjoy games for what they are, but with a series like Zelda that’s so entrenched in history and player expectations, it’s harder to do that.

Maybe the game has changed for the better with the DLC. If it ever goes on sale I might check it out and see how much farther I can get with the game.

edit: But yeah the master sword is definitely a high fashion item and I do wish it had better stats.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, actually if you like the Master Sword that much, do pick up the DLC. The first set of DLC, you do a challenge, and the prize is a buff for the Master Sword. You know that glowy, powered up state the sword goes into when it's around corrupted Guardians? (Spoiled just in case...) Do the Trial of the Sword, and it's in that state permanently. It doubles the swords power and greatly increases its durability. The second pack has some really great stuff in it. Among the prizes you get are much faster cooldown for all the Champion abilities.

I think it would address many of your concerns. Sorry you bounced off the game. I absolutely adored Breath of the Wild. I haven't felt that sense of pure childlike glee while playing a game since I was... well a child, and it honestly makes me sad to see folks who didn't enjoy it as much as I did. :(

In happier news, MY SWITCH IS BACK! UPS delivered it right on time. I've got it on the dock to charge. NOW I CAN BEAT UP MONSTERS AS A CAT AGAIN! EEEEE!

Thanks for the info! If I can get the DLC on sale I think I'll jump back in and keep going. I was having a good time for a while there.

Heath posted:

Most of your resource management is trying to figure out which of your twenty amazing weapons is closest to breaking so you can pick up a new one that's even better.

I seriously do not understand why everybody immediately pisses their pants at the thought of weapons breaking. "oh but what if it breaks in the middle of a fight and you lose your awesome weapon" well then just pull out one of the eight others you have ya dummy

Just to be clear, I like the weapons breaking mechanic as a whole. I just didn't like the way it worked with the Master Sword specifically.

Also, hearing that there's a way to make your boss powers refresh super fast is great.

Weedle posted:

its fine

nah

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 18, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I will say that in BotW, trekking all the way up that snowy mountain, worrying about cold protection potion timers and health refills, then chasing that red dragon around the region with the hang glider and shooting it with arrows in slow-motion was one of the best gaming moments I’ve had in the past 10 years or so. It was completely magical.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

raditts posted:

If we're still doing BOTW chat and the never ending argument over weapon breaking, I think they could have had a happy medium where things like sticks and bones break (and keep it so wooden weapons burn like they already do) but sturdier bladed weapons just become less effective and/or do less damage. Like fire blades could burn out, wands stop shooting out magic and only work as melee weapons, axes don't cut down trees after a while, stuff like that. (I guess even sturdier stuff could still break if you just beat it against rocks all the time, or try to fell trees with a sword or a staff.) And instead of making the Master Sword unusuable for 10 minutes, just make it less powerful, and maybe it just "recharges" on its own instead of you having to use it to its "breaking" point first.

I like these ideas.

I've also had the idea that it would be cool to have an item you could buy which you could permanently attach to any weapon to give it infinite durability. It would be expensive enough and require enough rare materials that you'd have to work to get it, but it would at least allow people to keep a number of "favorite" weapons forever while not affecting the rest of the game. Ideally these items would be infinitely buyable, but each one would be a total pain in the dick to actually earn all the mats for.

Sudden Javelin posted:

So Diablo 3 is out soon. Somehow I've never played a Diablo game but if Nine Parchments was extremely my poo poo I presume I'll like it? Mainly in it for the couch co op

Diablo 3 co-op is fantastic.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 18, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Dark Souls 1 has the most well designed world of pretty much any game I have ever played. Demons Souls has the best atmosphere of any game I’ve ever played.

Also, I’m weird with Souls games. Without fail, I bought them at their release, played each for like six hours, then put them down. Then like three months later, I would pick them up and play them all the way through two or three times each.

So, if you buy it and bounce off of it, don’t worry. You’ll come back later and scream through it in a blaze of glory.

[quote="“KICK BAMA KICK”" post="“489028554”"]
Just learned my 8bitdo SNES30 works on the Switch, this is so much better for Shovel Knight than even the Pro.
[/quote]

That’s because the Pro controller (reminder: officially designed and released by Nintendo) has the worst D-pad of any current gen console.

What a world we live in.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
What’s the deal with Minecraft on the switch? There’s a Nintendo version you can’t buy anymore, a regular version, and episodic versions or something?

Is the Nintendo Minecraft content still available? Do the episodic versions include the base version? Do the episodic versions use prebuilt levels and/or worlds or are they procgen?

Where can I find all this stuff out?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

The Switch Edition was the pre-Bedrock version of Minecraft. The current Minecraft is the Bedrock edition that makes cross platform gaming possible among other things. The Nintendo content will be playable for free as an exclusive bonus.

The episodic games as mentioned are the Telltale games releases.

Thanks!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

[Diablo III newcomer advice]

Play on a high difficulty

Please do not do this. Nothing will kill this game faster for a new player than having to spend 5 to 10 seconds killing every single enemy.

Here’s slightly different advice modified to make the game more fun: in the early game, set the difficulty as high as you can while still being able to mow through enemies quickly.

This will change only slightly in the late game, where you’ll set the difficulty slightly higher.

Diablo III’s difficulty setting it’s more like a notched slider then the typical “easy medium hard“ settings you see normally. The normal game has something like 15 difficulty settings overall, each one incrementally increasing monster health and drop percentage. Don’t worry, you can change these difficulty settings anytime you want in the menu.

In rift dungeon mode (totally randomized dungeon of like 3 to 5 floors, infinitely repeatable and randomized every time), there are like 100 difficulty settings.

It’s amazing. Just pick the highest difficulty you can play on that lets you kill things fast.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 2, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

KingSlime posted:

"play the story mode but only once"

"Nah skip it, that's not even the good part of the game"

"Set it to hard though or you'll be bored out of your skull"

"Actually don't set it too hard, that's just going to become a chore and will turn you off from the game"

Man you guys make Diablo 3 sound so appealing...is it actually good?

The fact that all these different opinions exist means the game is pretty open to being played however you want.

Once you find the sweet spot, it’s pretty much a constant stream of gently caress-yeah-this-rules gameplay.

And when you find the right gear and build, late game Diablo 3 is like watching a constant fireworks show where you get more points and more stuff for making cooler fireworks displays.

Game’s good.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

KingSlime posted:

But is the game fun without extensive tweaking?

Yes.

Forget about the difficulty levels. They're there and can be changed almost instantly at any time, but the game isn't about finding the *perfect* difficulty setting. It's about deciding whether you want to kill screenfuls of monsters with huge magic beams or gigantic clubs or 5 deployable sentry guns that throw out a bunch of huge glowing projectiles everywhere, every time your character attacks, or blowing up enemies and turning their bones into homing spikes that kill more enemies so *their* bones can be hurled around, etc.

Here are a few random end game build videos that show how the game can get in the late game. It really is just about getting better and better gear so you can kill more and more poo poo at neck breaking speeds in more and more mechanically interesting ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zog_Ch4TVE&t=18s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYoHiXfct9k&t=611s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICjNKZSVFU&t=484s

Also, don't be intimidated by these videos. The game is excellent at ramping the player up to experiences like this so you're not just thrown into the deep end.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 2, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Volte posted:

Went out and bought a $15 LAN adapter and now Diablo will be done in 2h21 instead of 38h. Still a fraction of what it should be, but at least I'll be able to play it tonight.

Will any old LAN adapter work or do you need an OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY NINTENDO®™ LAN adapter?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The switch’s cartridge cover feels extremely flimsy, like it’s going to eventually just break off even if you handle it delicately. Like, it feels like it’s designed to continuously bend back and forth, but the material just feels like normal plastic not designed to do that.

Go digital.

Also, you will be able to play your games anytime you want instead of having to fiddle with tiny, easily droppable carts.

However, I also like the philosophy of “physical for single play through, single player games, digital for session games” style, too.

If you’re going to pick one format though, go digital.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 3, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

I played Crusader back on Diablo 3 PS4. I liked it. I wanted to try something new... I picked a Monk for Seasonal. He seems ok so far... any words of encouragement or discouragement about keeping him vs picking something else...?

I’ve personally never been big on the Monk because I’m not really a fan of the spell effects.

So if you want a recommendation... this random internet guy would recommend a Demon Hunter, Necro, Barbarian, or Wizard. Kinda sorta loosely in that order depending on the day according to me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvxvzLVGTGs

New free Kirby DLC just got announced. Taranza, Magalor, & Susie and more stages. Looks like it’ll be out on the 30th.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's not just new stages. Kirby Star Allies is actually getting a 2nd campaign. It's known as "Another Dimension Heroes" and takes place after the base campaign. Oh and they described it to be "difficult."

The more I learn about Kirby Star Allies, the more I like it.

On the surface it just looks like some dumb kid's game. But with the boss run modes, you can trim the fat and get to the really good content instantly and you're also given the option to make it as tough as you want. And aside from that, it somehow packs in more builds for you to try than a Diablo game, not to mention the "guest star" mode that lets you play a customized 3-4 hour mini-campaign per character. Also, if you pay attention to the batshit crazy lore, you find out Kirby is basically equally as powerful as any Lovecraftian-tier eldritch horror, and frequently fights enemies with universe-ending motivations and equal powers to accomplish those ends.

Once Morpho Knight is added, the game will be complete. Hopefully they do that as that character looks like it would be a trip to play.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Diablo III’s campaign is actually really good at making the world feel cohesive and interconnected because it will take you through all of it. It’s a great way to ensure you see most of the game’s art assets.

The plot itself is a bad in an awful Saturday morning cartoon kind of way at best.

The best way to experience the campaign is to play through it once, but skipping every bit of dialogue the game will let you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Volte posted:

It's not worse than any other mediocre evildoer-based storyline. Veteran Diablo 3 players are just scarred for life from having to play through it a minimum of 20 times to unlock all the characters.

No, it's terrible even by standard RPG trope-stravaganza standards.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Heads up: the new 8-bit costume in Mario Odyssey is lame. It's the 8-bit model locked in a "mid air jump" pose that just floats around in the air. It is not an animated 8-bit skin.

Yeah yeah, gift horse's mouth and all that. Just thought it's worth mentioning so you don't get your hopes up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is the wireless Gamecube controller out yet?

Has anybody tried it? How does it play? How's the d-pad?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I’ve been looking into the PowerA wireless GameCube controller and the store page mentions AA batteries. Is it not rechargeable?

Is this the big official wireless one I should be looking at?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

It feels good but I haven't used it for any games yet. The D-pad is decent enough with an added bonus of being bigger than an actual (useless) GameCube D-pad. It's not rechargeable though and doesn't support Rumble or NFC, but it does have gyro. Quality is pretty drat good.

So the wired one is better then because gently caress buying batteries.

Got it, thanks!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Hyrule Warriors best Zelda

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So now that Steamworld Dig 2 has been out for a while and the newness has worn off a bit... is it still worth getting? The sale price is $9.99 at the moment.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
A lot of people focus on originality but it isn't nearly as important as execution. I'd rather have an entirely unoriginal game executed perfectly than something different for different's sake.

See: Blizzard. Well, the old Blizzard anyway.

See also: the entire music industry. Tons if not most pop songs are based entirely around your standard G,C,D chord stuff with E and/or A thrown in sparingly, but we have more of them than any one person could ever listen to and they all vary hugely in quality.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

psylent posted:

I've played through Diablo 3 now as Barbarian, Monk and I'm on my third play through as Necromancer, am now a bit bored. Necro is cool but takes a lot longer to kill beasties, especially when the base attack is so weak.

Is there a super good build I should be using for the Necro?

Might have to move on to Dark Souls for a while.

Level 70 is when the game really starts to get nuts. Try looking around youtube for builds that look fun, check out what gear is required to make them, go get that gear.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
New Kirby expansion is pretty cool.

Comes with a few new dudes and a harder campaign that makes me feel like I'm not playing a toddler's video game anymore!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Celeste is fantastic.

Also it's worth noting at every opportunity that it has the best cheat menu ever. You can cheat basically as much or as little as you want (toggles for infinite in-air "double" jumps, infinite wall grip, invincibility meaning you bounce at the bottom of the screen in holes that would otherwise kill your and getting hit by spikes doesn't register) and the game doesn't punish you for it! No blocked saves, no big "YOU'RE A BIG rear end in a top hat CHEATER" watermark plastered on the screen, nothing. Every game, literally every game, should have this exact kind of cheat menu included.

So yeah. Celeste can be very challenging but you can make it as easy as you want with no downsides. Get it!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 1, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I'm almost done with the main story I think and I'm impressed at how with such a simple moveset it keeps things fresh consistently. From trailers I thought like "pursuit by evil double" would be a major recurring threat but it's just part of one level.

My major complaint so far is that I wish the chapters were broken up a bit into separate stages because they're fairly long if you go digging for all the strawberries, which is fine at first but makes me not want to go back and look for the ones I missed.

To your first point, me too. The game really feels like the developers took the core mechanics and did absolutely every possible thing with them... and then just a few more for good measure. I mean, everybody who talks about the game says that, but they all say that because that's what it feels like.

I agree with you about your second point too. The game could be split up just a bit more, but when you're just playing through it, it feels fine. Then again you could always use that cheat menu to get as far as you need stress free, then do the remaining strawberries with the cheat mode off to do it the honest way. :)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 1, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah and with spirits they added drat near infinite progression content, you can always be working towards things even doing a quick random random random match

Funny enough, this is one of the most appealing things to me about the game right now.

Most games tend to be real fun until you feel like you've done everything. Spirits kind of ensure that for pretty much the rest of the game's life, there's always going to be *something* you'll be accomplishing or working towards that you don't have yet, almost no matter what you're doing. Long term goals being worked toward through kick rear end, entertaining short term gameplay sets off the lizard part of my brain in ways not too much else can.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So what's the whole "deal" with Mario Bros U Deluxe?

Is it just a bog standard platformer with a Mario skin or is there some cool hook to it that makes it its own unique thing?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Looper posted:

a cool hook like good level design

How would it rank among the rest of the 2D Mario platformers?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Looper posted:

better than the other New games, SMB1, and SMB2. it just looks super bland

I think that's what's making me 2nd-guess buying it. I know Mario is all about mechanics but this game looks... like it's got a particularly apparent case of that weird kind of bland, emotionally empty look you tended to see in quite a few mid-3D games from years ago and it's kind of off-putting.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 12, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So in NSMBUD I watched a video or two featuring Mario riding Yoshi. This is cool. How often does he show up in the new game? Is he a gimmick that only shows up once or twice throughout the game or is he a regular here?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Normal Yoshi shows up, as well as different types of Baby Yoshis, Im currently aware of the Yellow Type that Glows in the Dark, and a Purple Type that blows up like a balloon in more vertical stages.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm not super far in but I'd say he's in like ~10-15% of the levels so far. When you finish a level with him you don't get to bring him along to the next one in like SMW.

yeah more like 20% maybe if you count the baby yoshis. they never grow into an "adult" one but they have unique powers that the levels are designed around, it's neat

Silver Falcon posted:

A very important point about the baby Yoshis: they sing along with the background music and it is super adorable.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Powerups have always been the highlight of Mario games to me (the physics aside) and Yoshi has always been kind of the ultimate Mario powerup. I didn't notice him in promo videos so it's good to know he's still around.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Here's a cute little desk fan I found of my favorite cute little video game character, guys!

How adorable.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 15, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I really want to get hyped enough to buy NSMBUD but jesus it's ugly. Could they really not have, like, given it a more retro style like Super Mario World but with better animations, Metal Slug style, or something?

Does the art style ever grow on you at least? Is it something you get used to?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does the big "164 LEVELS, WOW!!!" marketing point in NSMBUD mean 164 full size Mario levels, or is that including all little challenges and bonus stages or whatever?

Related question: how many regular old, main quest levels are in the game, not counting Luigi's levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Gold standard is pretty much the Satisfye grip. It rules

Is this the right one? Also, why is the right hand grip asymmetrically farther out from the joycon than the left grip? Does that make it more comfortable?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2019