Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
child of light doesn't just rhyme, it rhymes badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chronojam posted:

I am way late to the party and just got and played through all of undertale and it was one hell of a ride so I'd recommend it to people who like video games but don't Google anything about it ever.

kudos to you for never actually hearing anything about it until you played it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

if you play RPG games for the plot you get what you deserve.

this, except gameplay

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dragon quest 11 has the slowest start of a game i've played since the first trails in the sky

it plays cliches so straight i could hang a painting with them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

TWEWY being just as good as I remember it and even a little better is such a nice surprise. I really hope we finally get a 2 or game similar to it because man it's fun to just play and mess around with different attacks. Hell the story is really good too- there's almost no filler or fluff, it just gets to the chase minus like... a single day I can think of.

I want the power to be discovered finally. I don't want it to be unknown anymore

was TWEWY really that much of an unknown, though

also nomura should not be allowed to start a new project, preferably ever again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
haven't heard of this kind of nonsense since the RIAA was still trying to crack down on mp3 distributors

even in corporate malfeasance nintendo's behind the curve

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

*waves arms frantically while shaking head*

*materializes begins u & pulls u into the darkness*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mario odyssey is literally never gonna go on sale, huh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zas posted:

katamari is such an insanely great thing

i know you lo-ove me
i want to roll you up into my life
let's roll up to make a single star in the sky

i hear you callin me
i want to wad you up into my life
let's lump up to make
a single staaaaar
in the sky-y-yyyyyy

to yooouuuuu

yes! to youuuuuu!

(da-ba, da ba
da da da-da-da
da-ba, da-ba
da da da-da-da
da-ba, da-ba)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wasn’t fully healing because I didn’t expect to run into any fights

oh, the game knows

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
owlboy is a very content-thin game whose only memorable traits were its artwork and its relentless and baffling cruelty

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for all of its many, many, MANY faults, I appreciated Hellsing Ultimate’s dub basically giving its actors an excuse to go off on literal hours of proper theatrical monologues

in fact I’m fairly sure a lot of the VA’s WERE in theatre

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
today in Mario Odyssey i got both of the Jump Rope moons on my first try but with the sneaking suspicion that if i'd failed on that try it probably would've taken me another fifty

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I'm only just finishing Celeste after owning it since release. The wind level is the worst loving thing and even though I beat it in a single sitting, it was the least fun level ever.

the wind level was a drag (a-hyuck) because it bogs down your momentum, which is always the best part of celeste - zooming across the screen until your eyes and thumbs can barely keep up

meanwhile in these stages it's like you're dragging a ball and chain behind you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how do people get enough coins to buy the postgame stuff in mario odyssey

is that just what the balloon game is for

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Suda51 is a broken man

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Darker Side of the Moon isn't the hardest mario super-stage i've played by a long shot but it's so long, i just get worn down by attrition over time

just need to get through that stupid moving platform section with the billion spiny colorful dudes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This was some serious bullshit and I feel like something Nintendo and/or games in general has been doing lately as an excuse for difficulty. Long sections with no checkpoints aren't difficult. Just tedious.

In BotW if you go straight for Ganon without beating the Beasts you have to boss rush the other dudes. Which isn't necessarily hard if you know how to fight them. But that somehow counts as a challenge today.

just finished it, that was a very sweet ending

still nowhere near as bad as the Champion's Road in 3D World, i still get trauma flashbacks watching videos of that thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

How do these challenge levels compare to the "one hit and your dead" gauntlet at the end of Mario Galaxy 2? I was able to beat that one eventually but not without losing a piece of my sanity (and like four hours of my life).

the one in Odyssey is extremely gentle by that standard, you're given a ton of health powerups throughout the stage (which don't help against bottomless pits, but there are surprisingly few of those)

also Mario is just so much more nimble in Odyssey that there's a limit to how much bullshit the game can throw at you, new skills like the midair dive and Cappy throw give you unprecedented control over fine-tuning your jumps or just straight-up skipping aggravating portions of a stage

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 2, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all the promo material put so much focus on stuff like the transformations and new donk city that i totally overlooked the changes in how mario himself handles

odyssey was probably the first time i actually enjoyed controlling mario since the games went 3D, in all the others the floaty imprecision of everything drove me bonkers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I have the dubious honor of getting 100% in DK64.

It is not an honorable thing. It brings no happiness. Only shame.

i did the same and became something at once greater and less than human

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

The part with the moving platforms and spiney guys got way easier for me when I realized that I didn't have to touch that button that makes those death rings show up

Now, the section immediately after it? gently caress that part

if anything that murder-button is a trap, the rings are much harder to avoid than the spinies

i had my heart in my mouth during the pecker section, but fortunately it was only like fifteen seconds long

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
thank you, thank you, tip your waitress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I have never seen a Meta Knight amiibo in real life. It was never available anywhere I could go or online, even after the reprint, and I haven't seen it in any Best Buy ever since.

i have all of them

i sleep on a pile of them every night

it is exceedingly uncomfortable

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I think it’s weird that the internet wants to gently caress a bowser.

if anything mario odyssey showed he knows how to treat someone right, if you overlook the constant theft and kidnapping

he even gelled down his hair!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dk returns is mediocre, just get tropical freeze

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also while TF was delightful in many ways it still has some moderate problems, like serious over-reliance on Dixie Kong (to the point where you can't even access a significant number of the game's secrets without her) and swimming levels that are loving miserable

in fairness i haven't seen an underwater section in a platformer that i liked outside of Rayman Origins/Legends but Tropical Freeze's are exceptionally bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

saltyslug posted:

hate underwater levels. surely everyoe does

sometimes i go to the beach just to yell at the ocean

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what suda51 should really do is escape from grasshopper entirely, go into the mountains for five years and emerge with a new name and face to make bizarre budget mobile titles or something

the games industry utterly destroyed the man and while i'd like for him to try and stage some sort of comeback i'm not hopeful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

How is Gris

it's there to be very pretty for a couple of hours and by jingo it does the job

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
been looking at footage of travis strikes again and hoo-de-lally this is some dire stuff

i thought the insipid "lol this is just a video game" gags from Shadows of the Damned and Killer is Dead were from someone other than Suda51 himself, but it looks like at some point he decided that sort of thing was actually funny. it's not funny! it's never ever been funny!

except for that one bit in max payne

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Nintendo Switch: would you smooch a shark

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

Which should I buy to scratch my JRPG itch since octopath is Boring me to death, the new tales game or xenoblade (will be my first time with either series)

vesperia will probably be your better bet, the Switch port supposedly has some issues but the game overall has way less intrusive weirdness than xenoblade (no gatcha, for starters)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Why eye eye k?

the game is a labyrinth of bad choices

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Identical looking but completely incompatible new console called the Nintendo Swilch, marketed with a resurrection of the Play It Loud campaign and ads where a cool kid on a skateboard ollies over a screaming goat.

undertale ads just keep getting weirder

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mahoning posted:

And hell, I’ve known about Mother 3 for a good decade now but have no idea what is potentially controversial about it.

the main thing is that a good portion of the game is about seeking power and aid from several wise sages across the world

except they’re all hairy transsexuals and the first one “awakens” the main character’s power by holding his head under a hot spring complete with innuendo laden dialogue

said main character is a ten year old boy, recall

the sages themselves are actually portrayed pretty well outside that one scene but yeah, it’s a hurdle

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Holy dogs, Okami is still an amazing game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the link's awakening art makes it look kind of like a diorama, which is a cute match for the artificial nature of the world itself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

it amounts to like, a tap on the shoulder. the game effectively says, "you could've held back and maybe made a friend, but it's ultimately OK to defend yourself when something's trying to kill you even if they're doing it halfheartedly". The only time it judges you is for painstakingly and deliberately slaughtering every monster you physically can.

and even then the "judgement" isn't towards violent tendencies so much as completionist ones

why you're doing it, what you expect to gain out of it, and how you'll react when what you get isn't possibly what you expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Deltarune Chapter One is coming out on 2/28 and you can preload it even!

i look forward to attempting chaos chaos with a proper analog stick this time