Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Has anyone had trouble getting used to the controls for Starlink? It lets you invert up/down on the right stick, but not left/right. I think having everything on that stick inverted would feel more natural. I'm getting used to it, but it's taking a while. What mode do you all play in?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I picked up Blaster Master Zero 2, and it seems pretty rad so far. Any game that lets me travel to different planets gets a plus in my book, and it's neat to get maps and reveal new places to go. The areas aren't huge, but there's still a nice sense of exploration. I only played about two hours so far, but the difficulty feels about right and I'm enjoying both the tank and on-foot sections. Anyone else get it?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I made it up to sector E last night before stopping for the night. I enjoyed a lot of it except for planetoid C-1.

Because what everybody wanted was more janky ladder-grabbing-jumping levels

Gameplay-wise they made a bunch of improvements, like quick-shortcuts for favored weapons in the tank and on foot, and Wall-jumping is a nice mobility addition for the tank.

Haha, I just did that ladder level today, and I immediately knew it was the one you didn't like, before I even read your spoiler. I doubt I've said "But I pressed the button!" so much for a long time. Still, the rest of the game is rad. I'd love for the next Metroid to include some similar elements: finding maps to new stellar coordinates and planet-hopping.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

fuckingusername posted:

Hello everyone. Is it me or is Blaster Master Zero 2 quite an obnoxious game? It has all the ingredients of something I should like but the entire first planet seems designed to evoke the feeling of having your sandcastle kicked over by Nelson Muntz. As someone who enjoyed and completed Hollow Knight and both La Mulanas, is this worth persevering with?

I'm near the end and I like it a lot, but I enjoyed it from the beginning, so YMMV.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Midjack posted:

He’s your childhood pet that you were trying to rescue in the first game.

Wait, so it turned out that your childhood frog pet is also an alien? He can create portals for you in Zero 2. (I didn't play the first Zero, so maybe it's explained in that one.)

I beat the game last night, and the ending was very cool and satisfying. Still, I hope the next one (if there is one) has fewer out-of-ship-but-not-indoors sections. Those are not fun. At the very least, make the fall damage a little more forgiving, or give me a jet pack or something.

Nuclear Throne question: Is there much progression that remains between runs, like unlocks or better stats? I find I get bored with rogue-likes after a while if I feel like I plateau. Does Nuclear Throne or Crypt of the Necrodancer have a more satisfying progression?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm interested in getting a Final Fantasy game, and I've never played any of the Switch ones (7, 9, 10, or 12). I think 7 or 9 interest me the most, 7 because I remember everyone talking about it back in the old Final Fantasy 7 vs. Ocarina of Time days, and 9 because I enjoy the older Final Fantasies like 1 and 6. Is 7 or 9 better, considering I haven't played either?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do both compare to the original BM?

I recently beat Blaster Master Zero 2, and I enjoyed it a lot more than the original Blaster Master. The original has a frustrating difficulty curve, where some on-foot bosses were very difficult without the best gun, so even getting hit once in the level leading up to the boss would mean likely failure. Plus, the tank controls are sometimes really frustrating, especially late-game. Still, there is something engaging about exploring the game world and finding secrets. It's an interesting game, but I never managed to beat it. BM02 is more fun and less frustrating. Gwyrgyn is right that the end of the game isn't the best part, but I still really enjoyed it overall.

I started playing StarTropics yesterday. It's a game that I never had as a kid, but always wanted to play. It's pretty fun so far, but it's a little mean sometimes. For example, I thought I discovered a secret room toward the beginning of the game, but it was actually a secret insta-death room. WTF, game?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

Anybody who's been playing the Starlink DLC, uhhh what are you supposed to do about Andrew's tank? It looks like the armor is breakable, I've tried a bunch of weapon combinations, but nothing seems to do the trick, There's no way you're meant to whittle him down with that much health :psyduck:

I haven't played the DLC, but Reddit says that there is a new shield bash move which you use by pressing the shield and boost buttons at the same time. See the first reply here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarlinkGame/comments/bj3fa9/star_enemies_feel_broken/ (Starlink isn't great about telling you what you can do. It took me a while to even realize that there was a shield or boost in the first place.)

How is the Star Fox DLC in general? I liked the Star Fox parts of the normal game a lot, but there wasn't enough of them.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The Silver Snail posted:

BotW's overworld is great but the game has terrible dungeon-feel. The shrines are just way too abstract and sterile and don't feel very "underground" to me at all. I'm sure we're locked into the Sheikah tech aesthetic for a sequel, but I would much prefer something labyrinth and sprawling with multiple connected entry points, a map-wide underdark style structure that brings back the feel of the NES LoZ instruction book illustrations.

Oh man, this takes me back. I still have that booklet somewhere at my parent's house. Legend of Zelda was definitely my favorite game growing up, and I was captivated by those illustrations.

ShortStack posted:

Old game manuals really had it going on. Look at all that information and those adorable lil illustrations. I want a Zelda game that looks exactly like the drawings in that manual. The Legend of Zelda: Crafted World when?

You and me both. I love BotW, but after the sequel (which will be a similar aesthetic, it sounds like, and I'm really excited for!), I'd like to see them do another one in a style similar to Wind Waker, using illustrations like those as an inspiration.

And now that I'm reminiscing about Zelda, did anyone else have this Zelda comic: https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(Valiant_Comics)/Issue_3#The_Power. In it, Link steals the Triforce of Power from Ganon, but he start to become corrupted by it! That comic shaped my view of Ganon as being slowly corrupted into a pig-creature.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I loved F-Zero X, so it's fun to finally play the original. It holds up pretty well.

Is Breath of Fire good? I loved Breath of Fire II back in the day, and played it all the way though. Being able to turn into different dragons for attacks was so, so cool to kid-me. I expect the first one to be a little rougher around the edges, but is it still pretty good?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I forgot just how good Link to the Past is. I played it once, a decade or more ago, but it's a real joy to play it again. Even little things, like finding a bottle, are satisfying. I'd love to get all of the items/hearts eventually, but I recall from my first playthrough that I couldn't find a whole lot of them. Also, I'm a lot more familiar with Link Between Worlds, and I didn't appreciate how similar the overworlds are until now.

This collection of SNES games is great. I'd never gotten to play a lot of them, and the ones I've tried so far are generally a lot of fun.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cartoon Violence posted:

So this is just a general Nintendo question technically but it now counts as a Switch question thanks to the SNESflix I got. Let's say I care about the story of Metroid games in the same way I care about Zelda story and lore, that is to say, a decent amount. I've never played a Metroid game before but love Metroidvanias. I know that there's actually a set timeline of Samus' story throughout the Metroid games that is different than the order the games came out. Are the stories interconnected enough that I should play the games in story order, or is it more like Zelda's "general setting timeline but every game is a separate mostly unrelated event"?

I think Super Metroid is a good place to start. Metroid 1 and 2 come before it chronologically, but they're both pretty light on story, and I don't think you'll miss much by jumping to Super Metroid. Read a brief synopsis of the first two games if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. Like Heath said, story is often in the background, and is mostly told through the setting and mood of the games, which are fantastic. It's fun to get absorbed in the setting and wonder what these foreign worlds are like, and what happened here before you arrived. In each of the games, Samus is the same Samus, but the narrative in each game is light enough that the order isn't very important. Another reason to start with Super Metroid: it's really good.

Metroid 1 captures the mood of being lost in a foreign, hostile world, but it's really directionless and lots of areas look similar, so it's easy to get lost and frustrated. (I played it as a kid, and had to draw out a map on paper for myself.) Metroid 2 (Return of Samus) is bland and repetitive, so I think it's generally skippable. The remakes of both 1 and 2 are pretty good, but there's something special about Super Metroid. I also like Fusion, which comes after Super Metroid. People also seem to like the Prime games, although I played the first one and it was a little too long for me, so I never finished it. So start with Super Metroid and, if you like it enough, go back and test out Metroid 1, but don't feel compelled to finish it if you aren't having fun. Then check out any of the games that interest you.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 8, 2019

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Just to check, how does saving work in SNES games on Switch? For instance, if I do an in-game save in Zelda or Metroid (e.g. not using the new save-state option), the game will remember my save file right, so that I can continue next time I boot up the game? I don't want to accidentally lose progress.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, I think that Mario 3 plays great, but Mario 1 has never quite clicked with me. It helps that Mario 3 was a staple game of my childhood. The early worlds are inventive and fun, but I remember the later worlds to be quite challenging. I think I beat it once (back in the days of having to leave the NES on or losing your progress). It was quite a trip!

I've actually played very little of Super Mario World, so I'm looking forward to playing that once I (re)finish Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Both of those games are so astoundingly good. I haven't played either for a while, and they continually impress me.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I decided to finish the original Metroid before I jump into Super Metroid. I’ve played Zero Mission in the past but never the NES original, and I’ve played SM plenty of times, but looking forward to playing it again.

My take on Metroid is that this would be incredibly tedious without any sort of map. But I think it controls really well and the limited soundtrack and color pallet are evocative enough. The music really is special. I think the Geiger influence is most apparent in this game more than any other in the series, and I enjoy how each area has monsters with similar game functions but are textured differently to reflect their environment but also retains a mysterious alien look (The only Metroids I’ve not played are 2, it’s remake and Other M but we don’t even count that).

The actual metroids haven’t been as intimidating as this game since either.

Metroid 1 was my first Metroid, and yeah, it has a lot of flaws, but it has a special place in my heart. Like you said, a lot would be improved with an in-game map, but as a kid I took the time to draw one out on paper. Another factor that doesn't help: a lot of passageways look really similar. While this is certainly a detriment, it also adds to the feeling that you're lost in this hostile labyrinth of a world. By the time I finally navigated all of the secret passageways and tricky platforming and the near-complete lack of objectives and found my way to the last boss, it was kind of an amazing feeling. It felt like I'd made it somewhere deep and secret, where the enemies really didn't want me to be.

Also, some of the music is downright sinister. In particular, this one always creeped me out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcLtSle714&t=450s.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I didn't see this posted here yet
If it was, here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1orju1NsN8

New FitCon game with the HOOP

I'm definitely interested in this. Hopefully the RPG elements are thought-out and robust. A little motivation to exercise is fine by me.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When it was discovered that you could glitch the game by standing in a closing door and start jumping upwards until you got to an infinite map that you can gently caress around in, that was a huge thing back in the day. :corsair:

Oh man, I remember being fascinated by those "hidden worlds". I knew it was just a glitch, but it was neat to think about exploring the rest of Zebes. Here: https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Hidden_World.

In defense of Metroid 1, it evokes a wonderful, dreadful sense of being lost in a very hostile world, and the limited graphics and evocative music really got your imagination going. Of course, there's probably no good way to recapture that feeling without being a kid in the 80s/early-90s. I remember drawing out a world map by hand! It would probably be pretty frustrating to play nowadays, though, without the time/patience of being a kid. Feel free to check it out, 100YrsofAttitude, but unless you're willing to make notes (and probably draw a map), you'll probably have more fun with Zero Mission. I recall Super Metroid had a great atmosphere too, so check that out after Zero Mission, if you haven't already.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Man, I have great memories of playing Breath of Fire II back in the day, and I'd like to play it again. I don't think I have as much patience for frequent random battles, though, and the internet suggests that the encounter rate is really high. For anyone who's played it recently, how is it?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I never thought much about it, but this made me wonder about SMB2's reception at the time. Apparently it's the fourth best selling NES game, and while 1 and 3 sold better, they were included with the system at different times, which might account for the difference. So that's pretty impressive. It sold better than Zelda! SMB2 was always the strange one of the original three, but I must admit that it plays pretty well. And while I never played the Lost Levels, I think the American SMB2 looks like more fun.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Pretty crazy that they don't have all the games on the switch then.

It could be a rights issue. It's possible that the agreement Nintendo and the developers reached for the SNES mini doesn't cover the Switch, and they haven't come to a new agreement.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I think the Paper Mario trailer looks neat, and I'm interested in the battle system. I imagine that different attacks will have different area coverage, similar to Mario's jump being a straight line. Maybe others will affect a 2x2 square or a diagonal. And since enemies could be on all sides of you, you have to priorities which to move into a favorable position and which to attack later.

Maybe enemies will move too, positioning to create more effective attacks for themselves. Or maybe some enemies move forward each round, and you have to position them behind other enemies to prevent them from getting too close.

I certainly hope that you have other party members. It's possible that they showed the combat example from early in the game, before other party members join. It would be strange for party member to follow you around but never join in the battle. I'll read some reviews when it comes out, but this game has definitely caught my attention.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

You go through a maze retrieving items and keys to progress while battling enemies and bosses. There’s an inventory system to help you.

It’s basically a Mr Driller roguelite and it loving owns. The game is worth buying for just that one mode alone imo but there’s also a bunch of other fun modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpEWO-lSR8

Any idea if there is a colorblind-friendly mode? In the video you posted, the character reaches a new screen about 1 minute in, and it took me a while to realize there were three colors of blocks instead of two. The blocks which I assume are green and orange look almost identical to me, to such a degree that I had to take a screencap into another program to make sure that they weren't. I'm a little red/green colorblind, and fast-paced games that rely extensively on color should look out for us colorblind folks. :(

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Double May Care posted:

Yes they do. That's like the whole point of the game. You drill once, and all the blocks of the same color that are adjacent to your target, disappear. It's imperative to know the colors of the blocks, especially when accounting for falling blocks. If a falling block goes by a block of its same color, it merges with that block and stops falling. That's something you have to know about.

To answer the question, no there's no colorblind mode from what I can find. And yes, that really sucks that they didn't accommodate for that. Even having the different colors have different textures could have solved it, but no, they're all the same.

Alright, thanks. People probably just don't think about colorblind folks much. Honestly, I don't think about it much either, until a situation like this comes up. It seems like it wouldn't take much effort to account for, though. ~8% of men are red/green colorblind, after all.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just reached the summit in Celeste, and I wanted to say what a wonderful game this is. It's an amazing feeling to get more confident in your moves and, toward the end, be able to throw yourself at new challenges and be able to tackle them (sometime on the first try!). The movement feels great, the backgrounds are lovely, and the little story was surprising intimate.

I kept hearing how great this game was, and I held off on getting it because it looked a bit somber. And while the game is somber in the places, overall it's very positive and uplifting, and reaching the summit felt great.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Inmost aug 21st oh poo poo

Does this game have good buzz? It looks really neat, but I don't like scary games that much. Even parts of Hollow Knight were a bit too much.

Cool showcase overall.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Has anyone played Phoenotopia Awakening? It looks inspired by Zelda II, but the style is really nice. Today is the release date, and I just heard about it today.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's really good, probably the 2nd best 2d metroid.

Yeah, I liked Metroid Fusion a lot. It probably suffers a little being the followup to Super Metroid, but any game would. It's a great game in its own right. I recall some people disliking that it was slightly more narrative-driven than Super Metroid, but I thought the story was neat. And, if I recall correctly, there's still plenty of opportunities for sequence breaking.

The story even left off in a pretty cool place, so maybe some day they'll follow it up.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

You don't! It is remarkably tightly scripted. There's about 2 meaningful breaks, everything else just lets you into areas that you aren't supposed to be in but can't do anything because the script says there's nothing to do there.

I love the game, but it is VERY linear.

Haha, fair enough, I guess I was wrong. I rarely try to sequence break Metroid games. For me, though, Metroid Fusion was big enough that it still evoked a nice sense of exploration, and I enjoyed discovering what was going on aboard the space station.

If we're not going to get a new Metroid any time soon, I would happily buy some sort of Metroid collection. Package the first four games together, complete with concept art, trivia, maybe some Metroid comics (were those any good?), a nice presentation, and some bonus content, and I'd happily dive in.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I think the SNES lineup is really nice. In the past year, I've beaten Super Mario World (for the first time!) and LttP, and I'm currently finishing up Super Metroid. Those are three of the best games ever made, and they were released right off the bat.

People want stuff like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy and, yeah, those would be great, but they aren't first-party Nintendo games, so Nintendo can't unilaterally decide to re-release them. As for why Square-Enix doesn't release them, either through the SNES app or separately, I have no idea.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

like i said, if we had more examples of beat em ups where you're playing a girl rescuing her boyfriend then the original ending wouldn't really be a problem. it's an issue because they were selling the game as "look, we're inverting this trope!" only to then double back on that to be like "psyche!" the "crazy pretend girlfriends" thing doesn't really work when we don't have any works that are just regular girlfriends to begin with

I agree. Hearing about the "twist" made me less interested in the game. There aren't enough games where women get to be straight-up heroes.

Pretty good posted:

Whoever talked up Curious Expedition a few pages back, thank you, it rules. A++ looking forward to many more hours spent dying from colonialist hubris and giant crabs

I'm intrigued by this game, but the vibe in the trailer seems really sinister, especially the music. Is that the case?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

not a bot posted:

Having played more of Windbound it really feels like a demo or something that should be in early access on Steam.

That's disappointing to hear. The game looks lovely, and the sailing focus is compelling. However, I'm not a fan of procedural-generation, which seems to just result in a lot of same-y content. Do you have any issue with the procedural-generation?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Why don't we all just ignore supposed leaks entirely? Even in the absolute best case scenario (the leaker being right), the game won't come out any sooner. And in most cases, it just makes people pine for things that aren't going to come out (while generating clicks for people who make things up). And there are a ton of games on Switch, so it's not like we're lacking in things to play.

On that topic, what is the "mood" of Hyper Light Drifter like? I think the gameplay looks really neat, but the story seems somber and melancholy, and I'm not sure I want to play a game like that right now. If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good adventure or Metroidvania game that's a bit more upbeat?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

And F-Zero Rammers! It looks even better than I dreamed.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

romanowski posted:

I just beat paper mario like ten minutes ago and I too would highly recommend it as long as you like charming and funny things

I'm really interested in Paper Mario. Did you feel like there was enough content?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

3D All-Stars looks pretty cool. I never played Sunshine or Galaxy 1, so it will be great to experience those for the first time.

I'm wondering if it will be weird to go back to Super Mario 64, though. That was one of the staple games of my childhood, and I got all 120 stars. Is there such a thing as too much nostalgia?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Am I the only one mostly excited about the real life Mario kart? Gonna race my kid around the living room and dining room for hours, can’t loving wait...

Yeah, that looks neat. Cool implementation of the toys-to-life idea.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm really looking forward to Super Mario 3D World. I liked 3D Land a lot, and I've heard that 3D World is fantastic. I'm one of those people who skipped over the Wii U entirely, so it barely even registers as a port to me. I'm perfectly happy with Nintendo porting over all of the good Wii U games.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

How is Super Mario Sunshine? I've heard that it's probably the weakest 3D Mario game, but is it just a small step down, or a large one? I never played Sunshine or Galaxy 1, so I think I'm going to pick up the collection regardless, but I'd like to have my expectations in the right place.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

japtor posted:

And when 3D World comes out he can join in and you can destroy him for the crown. Or work together and carry him through hard parts if necessary.

That sounds like a really nice idea.

All this Mario news made me decide to revisit Super Mario 3D Land, and man, what a delightful game that is. As it turns out, I never finished all of the extra levels at the end, so I'm tackling the last handful now. Even finding the star coins is fun, since some of them are hidden in clever ways and they encourage you to explore the levels.

I've heard that Super Mario 3D World is even better, so that sounds great. I wonder what Bowser's Fury will be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It didn't need re-kindling in my case but Breath of the Wild was the revolutionary game for me. Odyssey didn't do much for me, even if it's undeniably good, and I probably enjoyed 3D Land more, with my only complaint being it felt easy, which is understandable. I'm pretty confident I'll get all the Mario games coming out nonetheless, even if I'll admit I much prefer the 2D games (which is probably why I should just by NSMBU, but that... feels wrong).

I got New Super Mario Bros U a couple months ago, and honestly I'm underwhelmed. The game is uninspired, to such an extent that even the secret coins aren't very surprising. Nintendo really needs to shake things up and do something ambitious instead.