Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Looper posted:

at the very least it probably won't be crackable with a paper clip

This is probably the main reason for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm going end up watching some footage to see how exactly the mechanic is used, but I've got to say... that sounds kind of disturbing.

It is intentionally so. But to avoid it becoming too gross with the gore JJ tirns into a silhouette with white blood as soon as she's injured.

You still hear her scream when she's hurt which is creepy enough. Also the game has a warning about disturbing themes at the beginning and it isn't kidding around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Robot Hobo posted:

The bundle should have included the most obnoxiously colorful Joycons possible, just to mock the people who complained about Diablo 3 not being drab enough back before it was released.

The Splatoon ones then?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Oh come on they’re awesome. It’s the game that came with them that sucks.

I never said they weren't. They just happen to be the most garish colors available.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sam Faust posted:

I can't say much about Nintendo's employee treatment in general, but I do remember an article a while back about how it's apparently super nice to work at Monolith Soft.

Yeah the only complaint I've ever heard about Nintendo is that they sometimes go control freak on 3rd parties porting to their system (which was one of the issues they had getting big studios working on Wii U titles) which it seems they've also eased up on.

Indies LOVE them. Not just for the less competitive market but apparently Nintendo's support for getting stuff ported to Switch is extremely good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately it looks like the tech Nintendo uses for streaming is Japan exclusive without any plans to move it outside of that region.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sudden Javelin posted:

How's the Switch version of Warriors Orochi 4?

Apparently suffers some HUGE framerate drops and stutters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is Valkyria Chronicles only digital or where there any plans for a physical release?

It's digital only.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I guess we'll see tomorrow for sure. Why would they compress the audio so badly though?

Cheaping out on cartridge size maybe?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Meallan posted:

Are the sound issues of the switch dark souls exaggerated or is it really that bad?

Speaking as a non soundphile.

They're bad but less noticeable in handheld than docked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Honestly the main series play very similarly so you might as well start with the first.

Though I've only put like 3-4 hours into the series as a whole. It's just not for me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

404notfound posted:

Looks more like Gunpoint or Mark of the Ninja

It's Gunpoint except about assassination rather than the tricky puzzling.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

^burtle posted:

Did they ever follow up with any news about that Bravely Default tease?

Sadly no. All we know is a new Bravely project is in the works for the Switch. My guess is a third game and hopefully ports of the first two as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

Just because it's weirdly not clear, does the $30 expansion pass for XB2 come with Torna, or do I need to get the $40 physical release?

Yes it's included in the expansion pass. Iirc the physical release also has a code for the other expansion content.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Saves you can cloud save with online subscription, just go into cloud saves and check if they are all synced. Then you can download from your new console if necessary. I don't know about screenshots, I think those go on SD card if available?

That being said, I do believe Nintendo will do the transfer for you, right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lube Enthusiast posted:

How’s Gal Metal?

Curious myself. The game looks fun but it's hard to tell how well it actually plays from videos.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

Plug. I remember reading stories about people using unofficial chargers and frying their poo poo.

It's mostly third party docks.

If you want to be safest, get a plug that goes from USB A to C as A's voltage can't hit those levels.

Or buy a C plug but make sure it's from a reputable company. I use the charger from my pixel 2 and it's been fine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vookatos posted:

A few did, but it's not really similar, because it was a positive cultural reference. Same sorta thing happened with Speedy Gonzales. It's a stereotype, but since it's lighthearted, it was actually really popular in Latin America.

They did write out Slowpoke Gonzales in the newer cartoons for good reason though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

il serpente cosmico posted:

Why doesn't Blizzard just patch in controller support?

They completely redid encounter design (mostly by lowering enemy counts but upping hp) to support controllers.

If they patched in controller support they'd also have to put in the encounter changes which would make the game even easier with mouse and keyboard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CYBEReris posted:

it's got that real good battery life and it's also one of the most comfortable controllers I've held. it's pricey but as much so as getting another pair of joycons.

Yeah the main reason to get a pro controller is that it's sooooo much more comfortable for longer gaming sessions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Waffle! posted:

Is there a way to boost an item's level in Diablo? I found a Broken Crown in Act 1, and I can't put it down. It gives an extra gem the same color as what's socketed in it whenever a gem drops in the world. I'm awash in shinies but I've outgrown its stats.

Sadly no, but you'll find other legendary items anyways.

If you're in adventure mode talk to thevl yellow ghost (Zoltan) for a quest to get the horadric cube. It lets you extract Legendary item effects.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Female wizard is pretty great. She's the smartest person in the room and she knows it.

Her developing dialogue with the enchantress follower is pretty great too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I’m confused on something I read about the Gem
Of Ease. (Diablo) I read it helps people make it to 70 much faster but I also read it’s only dropped from Greater Rifts. Which I think I need to be 70 to do? Right?!

Yeah it's for leveling alts up faster by lowering the level requirements of an item vastly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What's local coop like on D3? Can you use single joycons?

There are single joycon controls that mostly work fine once you know the couple button combos.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, they look really bad. There's a bunch of videos out there comparing how the old N64 games did Pokemon animations compared to Let's Go and it makes Let's Go look so primitive.

https://i.imgur.com/kY7XgiF.gifv

They appear to be taken directly from the mobile game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

I have no idea why they thought you would want to keep those dweebs in your party instead of piling on more FF monsters

You can swap them in battle for Champions in the new version by buying the accessories but it comes with some pretty strict limitations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

I like Pyra's VA. Looked her up and was surprised to discover she's British.

Almost all the cast are, I believe.

Feenix posted:

What exactly (this is my first Pokemon) were random encounters in the past? Because, as it is now, I feel like I have to play a stealth/nimble path game just to avoid having some Pidgey or eager battler lock me into something every 10 feet. I can't imagine what random battles made it like...

They just happened when you walked around in the grass and you couldn't tell what would show up. Then you fought them the same way you do an enemy trainer (except also using pokeballs.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

Wait, do you get to keep your PC account if you transfer to switch? Because that changes everything.

Yeah you can copy your account once. After that, progression is separate between the accounts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DanZX posted:

Is Splatoon 2 worth it if I'm not into playing online all that much?

The campaign is decently meaty and there's a DLC that is purely single player challenge missions (with some cosmetic unlocks that carry over into MP.)

DanZX posted:

speaking of musous should I get Hyrule or Fire Emblem? We've already beaten Hyrule Warriors on the WiiU many years ago but that game is so good. Or maybe Pirate Warriors 3? How is it on the Switch?

Fire Emblem is okay but basically only has 4-6 movesets cloned across the cast. Hyrule's definitely the better of those two and probably the best musou on Switch (it also has all the DLC and improvements from the 3ds version plus more.) Pirate Warriors 3 is also a lot of fun but I played it on PC so I can't say much about the Switch version.

DanZX posted:

Oh I saw someone recommending Celeste and Hollow Knight. I was planning on getting those for PS4 but the portable console seems like a no brainer. Should I buy most if not all my indies on the Switch? Are there any performance issues?

Most indies are fine on Switch (with Dead Cells being a really notable exception, unsure of if it was patched. The big thing is that you tend to pay slightly more for Switch indies.

DanZX posted:

How's the reaping and tearing in Doom? I think a friend of my owns a copy of the PS4 version so which one should I play?

Switch has gyro aiming options but a halfed (yet steady) framerate of 30 FPS. PS4 looks a bit nicer and runs at 60 FPS. You might just want to go with PS4 if you can get it cheap/free.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DanZX posted:

Guess it's more Zelda then. Haven't really checked much of the DLC, are there new Adventure maps? I remember beating 1 or 2 on the WiiU because those things are huge!

There's 10, iirc. 14 if you include the harder variants of a few.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zibidibodel posted:

I bought it and have played through some bad games and for a while I was going to beat it simply because I hated it that much, but couldn't deal with all the nonsense getting in the way of just playing the fuckin' game! It's awful and I don't get how so many people enjoy anything about it.

Yeah the actual gameplay in it is okay, but the game just DOES NOT WANT YOU TO PLAY IT in favor of making you sit through some of the worst dialogue I've ever witnessed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s one of the better JRPGs on Switch? One that an adult would enjoy but a young kid could also grasp and play.

World of Final Fantasy maybe?

I'd say Octopath but that's not young kid friendly content wise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

Also I've heard the battery joycon grip feels more like a real controller than the grip that comes with the Switch, is that true? I might just get that instead of a charging station if so.

It's just a bit heavier but the ability to play and charge is great for kids.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kragger99 posted:

So, in Diablo 3, I just killed the last boss, and the game is asking if I want to go to the main menu. Can I start playing the season stuff with the same character?

No. You have to do season stuff on a season character.

You can "rebirth" a character into a season one but that just sets them back to level one and strips all their gear (which can be retrieved on a non-seasonal char)

When a season ends a seasonal character gets converted into a normal character automatically.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

How easy is it to replace a screen protector for the switch? One of my cats jumped on me mid game and dragged their claws over it. Did its job but it needs to be replaced now

Pretty easy. Just use a bit of Scotch tape to pull the protector off.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

What about Cosmic Star Heroine?

CSH is pretty decent. The writing is basically "dad jokes: the game" but the combat system is rather unique and fun and the game is short enough that it doesn't wear out its welcome at around 12-14 hours.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because I don't like the trend of the last ten years of RPGs that want to have exciting combat! that requires button combos! and good timing! and proper positioning! I want to zone out for my RPGs not play Devil May Cryonetta.

You can at least turn off the QTE bits now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would say BOTW is a bit complicated for very young kids

There's nothing in it that should be bad for kids thematically. My four year old nephew doesn't know how to play at all but he still goofs around in it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

That trailer looked not great.

Yeah it looked like a really bad budget game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

persona is a series I never understood or played, but isn't it on the playstation?

It's had a couple 3DS spinoffs (basically Etrian Odyssey with a Persona skin and lots of character fanservice)