Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apologies if I’m being an annoying noob, I just got a Switch and I’m looking for a case. I’d like to transport it, some physical games, and maybe an SN30/SN30 pro.

Are there some recommended options for 2019?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Breath of The Wild, Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros Ultimate, and Mario Maker 2 are all musts imo. There’s so much stuff on Switch though more more niche things.

I know, I have two of those already and am waiting for Black Friday/the holidays to expand the collection. I picked it up with odyssey, SSB, splatoon 2, and mariokart.

However, I asked about cases. :)

I gotta be able to carry this sucker around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Need a dock included in that case? If so, I recommend the Ugreen hard shell case. Has room for the system, dock, power cable, HDMI, Joycon cradle, and I was also able to sneak in my SN30 Pro, too. It also includes individual pockets for physical games.

There are smaller options as well.

If the cases are affordable, I’d honestly love to pick up two- one that can carry the whole system and dock and extra controllers for storage/travel to friends’ or parents house (via car) where I’ll want to use the TV, and a compact one that I can slide into my backpack for light travel/commuting and babysitting buffer washes in lab. I’ve heard that there are some that come with both too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is there any gameplay/quality of life reason to get Bad North on Switch instead of iPad/iPhone? It’s way cheaper on iOS but I’m also happy to give the devs :10bux: more if the switch version is better, but also I’m way likelier to pick it up and play it casually if it’s on my phone or iPad because I tend not to regularly take my switch into the lab. Yet.

TLDR- there’s equally good reasons to get either version, is one better than the other?

And for that matter, are there any notable games on both platforms that are better to get on Switch, or that I should keep an eye out for eshop sales? Or vice versa- any titles I should avoid on switch entirely and get on a different platform (barring the obvious stuff like better graphics on PS4, etc)?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Anyone have/seen the Arwing toy? How does it hold up as a display object? Is it worth getting to pop on a desk/give as a gift to a Starfox fan or is it too chitzy/toy-looking?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Mario Odyssey 2

:thunk:

Did you get that one from your uncle at Nintendo?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

I would advise everyone to avoid Polygon.

Why?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pixaal posted:

Getting gigamax pokemon fights is basically the end game. You go to little circles and get watts you spend watts to awaken the circles to summon giant pokemon. You can share them online and random people can join. You can always just start early and play with AI. Online gigamax is currently very hit or miss if your match will even show up, or if you can even see other games. It seems to be overload because I can usually play them just fine after 10PM right when I'm about to go to bed but before that it's like there's no one playing online.

Which one’s worst- giant Pokémon, z moves, or mega evolution?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Any thoughts on Valkyria Chronicles and/or Valkyria Chronicles 4? I know nothing about the games except that my friend wouldn’t stop recommending the original (and I think the first sequel?) back in like 2010.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dalaram posted:

They’re very good. Good story, unique action/turn based hybrid gameplay. Pretty novel alt-ww2 setting with a good blend of period appropriate weapons crossed with anime technomagic.

Great! Is 4 worth getting? Better than 1? The same?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Cool beans on VK.

I heard that people were unsatisfied with the switch Mortal Kombat 11 port. Thoughts? Is it worth picking up?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Thoughts on Wargroove? Into The Breach? I’d love a strategy game but I could never get into the latest Fire Emblem games

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So Goat simulator is at 8 Euro. Is it substantial and fun enough to be worth it? The video makes no sense and doesn't inform me what's going on. It looks like San Andreas a bit which was a great sand box to drive around in.

No. It’s a weird goof of a project. Get it on the App Store or Steam if you’re terribly curious and don’t pay more than $5 for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What’s the consensus on the different Mega Man collections/games? Is 11 good? X collection 1/2? Regular collection 1/2? I used to really dig playing NES and SNES MM games at my aunt’s house back in the early 00’s, but don’t really know the series or care to get super into it. I just want some good classic Mega Man available to me on my switch.

Let’s say I’m ready to drop $10-$20, maybe $30 tops, so 2 titles, maaaaybe 3. Should I play through and try to beat the old games first?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Any thoughts on Banner Saga on switch vs iOS? Right now they’re way cheaper on switch but that probably changes tomorrow. BS3 is not on iOS, and my friend loves BS3 and really wants me to play it, so that’s another point in favor of getting all 3 while they’re on sale here.

Btw, apologies if my barging in to ask variations on “is this game worth getting during this sale?” is getting old. I think this is my last big question.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have a choice between Katamari on eshop for $18 or a cartridge for $19 at my local big box store. Which would you choose? I can see good reasons for both.

Good Sphere posted:

Is Korg Gadget the only music making tool for the Switch?

Labo keyboard?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Ok cool, thanks for the heads up. It’s coming with a 128gb card, but that 256 is pretty cheap so maybe I’ll pick on of those up.

400/512 gb cards are like half off this weekend (and probs cyber Monday). It’s one thing when 512 is like $99, but when it’s a $20 difference from 256 it’s just worth getting the bigger card.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Papercut posted:

What's the easiest way to do this? Or should I just buy a controller that has it?

If you don’t have an SN30 Pro or related controller yet wtf are you even doing. Or a hori or Nintendo pro controller I guess

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Hello switch thread, hoping you can help me out.

I've been playing my switch a lot more lately (used to play way more on my PS4/Xbox) as I've found it way easier to play on since having a kid. I play handheld basically exclusively (and am moving to a Lite because of it) and often play while my son is napping or after he's gone to bed and my wife and I are relaxing in bed before we pass out ourselves. This results in play sessions that are 30mins to maybe an hour and a half if I'm lucky. I've played through my current library and am looking to figure out what I want to play next. Games I've played through: BOTW, Bayonetta 1/2, Mario Odyssey, FE: 3 Houses, Goose Game, Pokemon Shield. I also picked up Transistor and will go through that.

Games I'm considering:

Astral Chain
Zelda: Links Awakening
XenoBlade Chronicles 2 (mainly worried about how I hear it takes 20 hours to get fun)
Luigi's Mansion 3
Witcher 3 (I tried this on PS4, but couldn't get into it at the beginning but feel like I should give it another shot).

I'm open to other suggestions as well, but am hoping people could provide some guidance as to what would be fun to play in 30-90 minute sprints (that can sometimes be interrupted) and isn't the most intense thing to play in the world since I play to relax.

It’s hard to give recs without knowing what you’ve played already. For example, I’d totally bliss out on Katamari or Skyrim or Lumines in bed, but if you’ve been there/done that and aren’t interested then those aren’t useful suggestions.

If you want something quieter to wind down with, I can’t recommend the Banner Saga games enough.

Baba Is You and Into The Breach are both highly rated, although I personally don’t own either yet.

Also, semi related (I was gonna make a stand-alone post about it) but Sonic Mania is absolutely wonderful. Probably my favorite out of the ~$150 in eshop purchases made this weekend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nachos posted:

DQ11 is tailor made for your use case if you haven’t tried that already

DQ11 is good for u know what

Ouhei posted:

I listed the games I've played, but might be lost in the chunk o text:

BOTW
Bayonetta 1/2
Mario Odyssey
FE: 3 Houses
Goose Game
Pokemon Shield

Sorry, when I brought up “old games you hadn’t played” I meant like “games not exclusive to Switch”- because you should probably play Skyrim, KD, lumines, etc if you haven’t. And there’s a bunch of stuff on PS4/Xbone/mobile as well that may/may not be worth getting on Switch to you.

Also get Tetris 99 for free.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nondevor posted:

Turns out that the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ controller is temporarily on a 20% discount for Amazon's Cyber Monday - it's one of those lightning deals though, so availability is limited.

A pretty timely deal in light of the discussion about controllers a couple pages back in the thread! I just went and got one for myself thanks to that.

I already have the newer, more boring, probably less trademark infringey version of the SNES-style SN30 Pro. Thinking in general about getting a second pro-style controller at some point. Is the Pro+ worth the extra money? Worth picking up on this deal (probs not since I just spent a bunch on games/SD card and only got the drat system a month ago)? Should I go for a Hori or another third party? Spring for the actual Nintendo Pro Controller?

Barring all those, Id probably just get another SN30 Pro.

I’m really happy with it, and I appreciate the small size, portability, and nostalgia factor. But I’ve also noticed the non-‘HD’ and generally lacking rumble capability, though it’s not a dealbreaker. The lack of iOS compatibility really kills tho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s Bluetooth isn’t it? iOS 13 does any Bluetooth controller now.

No, it’s super janky. I can get my iPad to connect to the SN30 but it’s very hit-or-miss and not at all easy.

8BitDo officially do not support iOS, although they support MacOS. It says so on the website.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ouhei posted:

My Switch Lite came in last night, didn't get a ton of time to do much, just set it up and played Pokemon for like 30 minutes. Initial impressions are that it feels way better as a handheld system than the regular switch did, the whole thing being once piece really makes a huge difference. I think if my hands were any bigger it'd be a bit too small though, but for me it'll work just fine. Looking forward to using it more as I play through Transistor and when DQ11 comes in later this week.

I wonder if the undoubtably-gonna-be successful Lite will push Sony to try a Vita successor someday.

As much as the Switch is, in Sony’s own words, “successful because it’s a hybrid console”, the bulk of its appeal lies in the fact that it’s basically a PSP, except really powerful and made by Nintendo and host to tons of real deal AAA titles.

The docking and motion controllers are cool too, but the Switch Lite foregoes those to just be “Nintendo looks at a PSVita and says ‘hold my beer’”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

where the eff is earthbound

For real. I’ve sorely regretted not picking up a SNES Classic when they were ~$60 almost entirely because of earthbound.

Len posted:

Do they still make them? I haven't seen one in the wild in a long rear end time

No, they’ve been unavailable since last holiday. Currently you can grab a preowned one for like $80+ or new in box for like $140. And looks like a lot of scam/bootleg listings too. Guess demand is still hot (it’s still hot! loving Nintendo....release a run and I will buy two!)

If Nintendo kept releasing them for like 3-4 months around the holidays every year they’d probably continue to sell out each run.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hit me up when somebody makes a Gundam game that isn’t tedious half-baked garbage

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Alien Isolation on Switch: goooooooooooood.

I've been lost in it for a few hours now.

Better on Switch under the covers or on PS4 on a big screen?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Why would I play a video game implementation of a board game with friends when I could play the physical board game? It's only like $25 on Amazon and more tactile.

Really?

Because a tablet board game can be paused and moved elsewhere. It can be comfortably played in a car or on a bed or at a campsite. It can be played on a deck without being blown over by the wind. Or at a restaurant if you’re weird like my sister and her friends.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

My 5-year-old niece is a huge fan of Animal Crossing, and (with her parent's permission) I wanted to get her New Horizons, which comes out around her birthday. In the meantime, is there anything Animal Crossing-related that I can get her for Christmas? A colouring book or something? I haven't had much luck on Amazon, and I was hoping someone here would know a better place to look.

I assume she already has a Switch then. Isabelle’s in Smash. Does she have Smash?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What’s the deal with people getting a Switch lite to go with their OG model? Wouldn’t your saved games be tied to their individual console? I understand that there’s a way to put your account on multiple devices- can you download games to both and use them?

The estore seems totally different from the App Store model that pushes one purchase to all your devices.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Social Animal posted:

This. I'd love the Lite but any game that requires heavy amounts of motion control won't work too well I think.

Couldn’t you pop it on a tablet stand and use a controller? Not ideal, but it’s not like the OG’s built in stand is remotely close to ideal either. I have mine on a cheap tablet stand when playing tabletop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Social Animal posted:

I tried but it was too low and far away for me to make out details. Like I noticed I kept craning my neck. What's your setup like?

On a desk, otherwise docked or handheld, though I really prefer a controller. It’s not optimal- I tried Skyrim the other day and didn’t love playing it in tabletop mode. I can also speak to some neck craning.

But it’s either that or handheld if I wanna play in my room without bothering the roommates/in lab.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I still own and genuinely loved DK64.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Maybe if I keep saying Diddy Kong Racing in various threads whenever the chance ever so tangentially presents itself some Nintendo-deployed algorithm will quietly note it and move on

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m thinking about gifting a friend Obra Dinn, but I’m leaning more toward giving a Steam key than a Switch copy.

I’ve only played it on Mac but it seems so particularly suited for a desktop platform. My friend plays Switch 99% handheld and I can’t really imagine playing without a keyboard or on such a small screen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

You should ask them which they prefer

They don’t have a preference. Honestly, a Steam key’s way easier/less awkward to gift and likelier to be cheaper, but my friend is likelier to play through the whole game if it’s on the switch, just based on how he’s been gaming since the console launched. I was curious if anybody’s played both and could opine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My understanding is that as a port, it’s great. People’s angst comes from the fact that it’s vanilla Skyrim with no mods. Although if you’ve only ever played it on console, that won’t be a problem for you

What, no realistic horse genitalia and anuses? OP, that’s a rip-off at any price.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I figured I'd work my way up chronologically

:psyduck:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

With his sharp edged inversion of Luigi's cuddly gay aesthetic, Waluigi becomes the avatar of toxic meth parties, biohazard tattoos and slamming. The draw of the needle, the rush of blood; it's Waluigi time

Luigi: cuddly twink
Waluigi: bugchasing slampig

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Windjammers is $6 (60% off) and Into The Breach is $7.50 (50%)

Spiteski posted:

Oh awesome, banner saga 1 and 2 are 80% off, and 3 is 50% off. I was just looking at those earlier today.

Also appears ff9 is 40% off.

That's it from my wishlist and I'm in NZ region. Looks like some cool sale stuff for me

Ahh and witcher is 40%, pretty much every final fantasy is 50%. Enter the gungeon for 50%

If I you own Banner Saga 1+2, 3 is like permanently 60% off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Windjammers is $6 (60% off) and Into The Breach is $7.50 (50%)

If I you own Banner Saga 1+2, 3 is like permanently 60% off.

You guys, Windjammers is on sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

One last observation on Goose Game. I don't know why people are calling it "short". It definitely has content in there for at least 4-5 hours, which judging by the Metroid games I've been playing is a fair time for great gameplay.

The extra tasks and time attack you unlock after beating the game are pretty challenging and should keep one busy for a while.

It's a great game, it got my partner, who hates games, to play it, and we're bringing it over for the whole family to enjoy on Christmas because it's a hoot.

---

Does the SNES controller, that I still don't have but am determined to buy once it restocks (they say January...), work with Mario Maker and other games? I still have a voucher that's good till August, so I'll be waiting, but if nothing comes up I'll be torn between Animal Crossing, which I adore for about a month and then it bugs me immensely, and something else.

Compatibility with that controller would be a huge plus.

Just get an SN30 or SN30 Pro. The Pro is basically a Pro Controller replacement and has way more functionality than the SNES controller.