Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Can someone explain to me what makes Hyrule Warriors a good "one of those"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazing amount of variety in characters and weapons, refined controls, ridiculous amount of content, emphasis on rts-lite objective prioritisation rather than just wandering around whacking stuff and taking over bases.

Cool, I've been looking for something kind of mindless to jump into but I need stuff to work towards or I get bored. Sounds like it has that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hyrule Warriors question: Should I be actively be going for Skulltula's during the campaign? It feels like I often have to ignore more pressing objectives to go scour the map when a Skulltula pops up, and I'm wondering if maybe you're intended to save those for another mode or something. Are there meaningful unlocks (weapons/characters) tied to those?

^^^Golf Story is great, very cute and clever. It's not a particularly challenging or deep golf game though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Skulltulas are worth going for imo and aren't too bad now that you have two generals in newer versions.

Could you not originally control multiple characters? Some of these maps feel like they'd be real rough if you only had direct control of one general.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Oh wow, Monster Energy AMA Supercross 2 FIM World Championship The Official Videogame 2 let's you ride on an exact digital recreation of the real track from Monster Energy AMA Supercross FIM World Championship the actual sporting event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKR9adIPrUE

It bothers me that the narrator calls the game Monster Energy Supercross 2 - The Official Videogame , but the title of the video is Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videogame 2

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm enjoying Hyrule Warriors so far (actually quite a bit more than I expected to) but I find the amount of information you need to absorb a bit daunting. One thing that's been bothering me is it seems like sometimes characters give you some heads-up if they're about to die, but then sometimes it'll just be like "Zelda fled, you lose" out of nowhere. Luckily they let you just jump back to a checkpoint though, it would suck if you had to start from the beginning.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

It also has to cycle through messages in a certain order, so you could get a message that Lana is injured (and her fleeing is a fail condition), but the game doesn't tell that the attack she just ate was a big one and also knocked her into critical HP so you'd better hop your rear end over there RIGHT NOW. I've had the game go [Character] is in trouble! > [Character] is in danger! > [Character] fled! MISSION FAILED in back to back textboxes.

It's... not a perfect system, let's say.

I hadn't considered that but I totally see it now. I did the mission where you have to fight Ganondorf at the temple of time yesterday and the text-boxes were so backed up that I'd killed him before the message even popped up saying I should go fight him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

What are the chances it'll be $60 at launch, without any price drops for awhile?

I'd be surprised. My guess will be it starts at $30 and stays there indefinitely.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

I loved Dragon's Dogma on PS3 but gave up after maybe 10 hours because its framerate was so bad. Always meant to pick it up on Steam but never got around to it even after it started dropping to $8 frequently on sales.

I really want to play Dragon's Dogma again, and finish the game this time, but I'm not sure Switch will be the best platform for me to play it on if "performance issues" were the reason I didn't stick with it my first time through..

Someone else probably knows the history better than me, but I believe the "Dark Arisen" version fixed a lot of the performance issues. I played through about 75% of it on PC a while back and remember it being pretty smooth overall.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dragon's Dogma is an extremely good video-game with an unfortunately lame setting.

A game with the gameplay of DD and the world of Kingdoms of Amalur would be :discourse:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I keep going to my Switch, wanting to play a 3D Zelda other than BotW, only to face the harsh reminder that they have not ported Twilight Princess HD or Wind Waker HD.

Why Nintendo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Good news, the switch port of NSMBU not only runs at a locked 60fps, it’s higher res than Wii U and has more graphical options cranked up

Can’t wait for this game!!

https://youtu.be/kOYRk5U8CVs

I'm a big fan of platformers but man I just really can't stand the look of the NSMB games. It's so bizarre to me because Nintendo games almost always have some unique visual flair to them and then you've got NSMB which, to me, looks like it could be one of those "SUPER MARIO 1-1 MADE IN UNREAL ENGINE" videos.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think the biggest issue is how nothing looks cohesive. The background and foreground don't blend together at all, platforms don't align in a natural way so it looks like it was put together piece-meal in a level editor.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Zelda 2 is forever cursed for one thing:

Nintendo Power ain’t gonna save your rear end from this section.

Is there actually some indication of where you need to go like Lost Woods or are you just supposed to slam your head against this until you brute-force through

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

By the time you make it to Ganon's Castle Master Mode is indistinguishable from normal in terms of difficulty.

Over There posted:

The castle was cool

It really is. For my second playthrough I really dug into the Castle and tried to explore as much as possible and there's just a hell of a lot to it. It's a really well-realized setting.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Is Master Mode worth it or is it a giant slog?

I want to get lost in that world again...I'm debating if another vanilla playthrough is the ticket or if master mode will spice things up even more. I heard a cool suggestion online: beeline to Tarrytown from the get-go and complete all the quests there first/use it as your main hub.

It sounds like a fun way to mix things up, as I found Tarrytown very late into my first playthrough.

It's kind of cool at first. Mostly enemies just have a ton of hp and do a ton of damage compared to standard mode so you need to be more creative when taking camps and the like. For example, I was trying to take one of those skull bokoblin camps but if I took them head-first they would wipe me every time. So I would stealthily climb to the top of the skull then jump off and fire a ton of bomb arrows into the entrance to soften them up as much as possible.

Still, the game just isn't designed around consistent challenge, and Master Mode throws gear at you much faster than standard so the difficulty curve ends up not being all that much different once you make it to the mid-game. I found it to be a nice excuse to replay a great game though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tamar Kaiz posted:

Zelda BoTW would be awesome if it wasn't always loving raining.

It's not.

Over There posted:

and have actual dungeons

It does.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Low-effort whine posts deserve low-effort responses.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Okami would be a way better game if they had some kind of text-speed option. Getting two lines at a time drip-fed to you over the course of 5-10 minute cutscenes is brutal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

They call it the Switch 2 because you'll want to Switch 2 an xbox

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looper posted:

smash 64 already proved there's no bones in that boy

Until he swallows Mario :getin:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Picked up Donut County on a whim last night. It's pretty cute and has a really charming aesthetic (although obvi it borrows heavily from Katamari).

I don't really think it deserves quite the amount of hype though. It's an entertaining concept but never quite reaches the scale I want from it, plus I played it for like 2 hours and I think I'm about to complete it so it's pretty dang short too.

Worth $14? Eh, I'd say wait for a sale. Still, not a bad way to pass a couple hours.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Hookshot as a very late game/post game item maybe.

Having it during the body of the game would invalidate half the point of the game unless they made its use so limited that it would just suck anyway

Yeah this is probably a good solution.

The upgrades to the 4 dungeon abilities you get in the DLC basically make you a superhero anyways, it's not like they're opposed to upgrades that break the game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Some reviews are good, some reviews are bad. I guess the only way to know for sure is to buy a copy for yourself and give it a try.

Or be zen with never knowing with 100% certainty if a budget top-down-brawler is any good.

Namaste, gamers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Waffle! posted:

I remember the teaser for NMH showed Travis playing Hotline Miami and it made me want to play that instead.

Yeah but in NMH defense almost anything should make you want to play Hotline Miami.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Over There posted:

god drat this horny thread

I saw what happened to the AGDQ thread. I don't want no part of this poo poo!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What happened to the agdq thread

Some arguably over the line fanart was getting posted and empty-quoted so the mods banned/probed a shitload of people and locked the thread.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Of what? The runners?

Nah just whatever the game was they were running at the time. I think it had been going on for a while but apparently there was some picture of a Splatoon character eating a hotdog that led to the great collapse lol

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 17, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

We have a "Tails Game" at my annual fur-con but its a very different sort of thing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

There are definitely genres that other people feel this way about that I don't, so no judgement, but I honestly can't get enough platforming. Especially with a game as good as Mario Odyssey, if there's content I'm gonna play it. I can't imagine setting it down when there's still stuff left to do, it's like comfort-food for me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Got all these loving games and I'm back in BoTW looking for a Goron whose name ends with "son"

I have a vivid knowledge of the exact location of that Goron, but you probably don't want to be told.

Goddamn I love that game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zombies are boring.

Zombies that have giant scythe tentacles bursting out of their neck holes own.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RE4 (and then Dead Space after it) did a really good job of maintaining tension without making you feel weak. You're constantly drop-kicking, blowing up heads, slashing giants, but there's still that feeling that at any moment something could go wrong and you could be overwhelmed. I honestly don't know how they did it, it's a crazy tight balancing act, but it's really impressive to me how well it succeeds as both an action game and a horror game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have two complaints: The sliding block puzzle. I look it up every single time, because I hate sliding block puzzles. Also, Krauser. You're made to think that, oh, he must've been in an earlier game.

No. He's just there. First appearance: RE4.

Complaint 1: Totally agreed. gently caress sliding block puzzles.

But Krauser is incredible and the way he forcibly inserts himself into the absurd Resident Evil lore is absolutely the best part.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Donde estas?

Edit
So that is a creepy saying when translated.

Where are you?

Re4 is stupid good y'all

RE4 is the only video game my sisters were ever interested in and they still sometimes reference the "Alli estaaaa!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The devs of RE4 were visionary evidenced by them programming in a response to looking at Ashley's undies. A leap in technology that was not matched until GOAT Nier: Automata.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It would not surprise me if the village in RE4 had won "Village of the Year" for several years running.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

You could also make her hide in a dumpster and, considering the kind of stuff they leave out, I shudder to think of what they were throwing away.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looper posted:

re4 is fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Over There posted:

Skins look so cool online but I'd be scared it would start to look crusty after some wear and tear.

Ah, I see you've found my darknet etsy page.