Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

SeANMcBAY posted:

A cheaper handheld only “Switch” makes more sense since 3DS will surely be dead by then and it’ll be just in time for the new core Pokémon but I really hope it’s a Switch Pro.

I still wouldn’t expect it to match a PS4 but it would be nice to get a little power jump.

I could see them selling the Switch revision without the dock to make the price tag more attractive as that's 1.) a good option for someone who anticipates using it exclusively in handheld and 2.) an easier way to sell a second Switch to a household that already has one, but I really doubt they're going to ditch the Switch's current form factor for whatever a "handheld only" version would entail -- The Switch is like... the only financially successful application of modular function in consumer electronics, it'd be silly to throw that away (I am totally ready and expecting to watch Nintendo throw away good things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

They give you more pronounced shoulder buttons when playing in sideways, single JoyCon mode.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's alright. The updates made it better, but the game should have been like that from launch.

Obviously the Switch is massively popular compared to its predecessor, but I think the trickled content roll-out on a bunch of big, first-party releases did more harm than good. It worked for Splatoon on the Wii U, but there's so much more stuff happening on the Switch that ARMS, Kirby, and Mario Tennis Aces probably missed a window with some otherwise would-be buyers who viewed those games as light on launch content who have enough things to play that they didn't/won't bother going back for them. Even Splatoon 2, despite selling incredibly well, felt bad in that regard, since there was content being re-used from Splatoon 1 that took a year to be released for no other reason than to space out and pad the support cycle.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was the Indie Direct only a UK thing?

NoA just tweeted the trailers out individually I think.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Astro7x posted:

I've only really gotten into Splatoon during the initial launch window. Give me a basic set of weapons and a few maps, and I can master them all and know all there is about them.

Once the game just becomes flooded with maps and weapons I feel like it's impossible for me to know everything as well as I can

This is actually something that gets brought up in the competitive community from time to time. There are people who want the game to be like Smash where strict limitations are placed on what maps and modes can played to allow players the chance to obsessively practice and achieve mastery over those specific game types. The argument against it though is that Splatoon's gameplay is very fluid and leaves a lot of room for creativity, and that ethos should be reflected in the competitive community as well. The skills you develop in the game are largely transferable between weapons of the same class or similar team role. The scene should hold protean play in higher esteem than robotic, rehearsed play.

The content release cycle needs to be refined though. I get that the point is to keep people coming back to the game for new experiences, but it's really wild when they throw their biggest curveballs into the game in the last 3-4 months of an 18 month support window.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Bleck posted:

I keep getting disconnected from online games (Smash, Splatoon) and I can't loving figure out why. My roommate also has a Switch and plays the same games and it hasn't happened to her once. We'll be playing Splatoon together and I'll get disconnected - from my ethernet-connected dock - while her wireless connection keeps on chugging (I tried just switching to wireless and it didn't change anything).

Posting this after being banned from Splatoon for three minutes for disconnecting too much. Can't believe I paid money for this poo poo.

I had a very similar thing happen and replacing the adapter is what fixed it.

It couldn't hurt to see if yours produces drops on your roommate's switch before ordering a new one though.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

enojy posted:

Pretty much a given these days, to me. Whenever a teaser for a Direct specifically mentions a game, it's always meant "yea pretty much this entire Direct is about one game, with a minute or two at the end to just show a title art mockup of some other upcoming game"

This has never happened. There have been infrequent directs solely dedicated to single titles, but Nintendo has had zero issues communicating that plainly in their announcements of said directs, and nothing unrelated gets teased/revealed in those directs. This is a general direct that will have a deeper dive on Fire Emblem. One gaijin pointing out a difference in emphasis between the wording of the Japanese announcement and the Western announcements doesn't change the fact that the messaging for all of them, Japan included, leads with indicating there is news on multiple upcoming Switch titles.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Deified Data posted:

I think there was a mixup where the first reply to my post said they were gonna buy SV on Switch and then asked if "it", meaning Portia, was supposed to be good. Followed by someone saying it wasn't and others assuming they meant SV when they meant Portia. I think.

Anyway, the aesthetic of Portia is kinda "off" for me, it doesn't feel cozy like SV, Rune Factory, Story of Seasons, etc. It's UI feels kinda "freemium" - a couple boxes for premium currencies would feel right at home here. Might be a game to watch in the future but it looks like it needs an update or two still.

I was considering Portia to scratch the itch for a 3D Harvest Moon-esque experience (really loved Magical Melody), but I think I'll just wait for Rune Factory to come to Switch

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

And, after being anointed game of the year, nerds, who somehow didn't notice the six other near-identical hats on the ground next to them after breaking the one they just threw, would show up in droves until the end of time to complain about hat degradation.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

bowmore posted:

I want Nintendo to say they are officially stopping support of the 3DS so the game stores put everything on clearance

There was some report a few weeks back about Spanish retailers being asked by Nintendo to clear 3DS/2DS stock by some point in the Summer. It lines up with rumors of a smaller iteration of the Switch releasing in that same time frame. If the effort extends outside of Spain, maybe that'll net you some deals before too long?

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Araxxor posted:

Have you all considered that maybe the reason some people don't like gyro is because they flat out can't use them? Gyro controls are incredibly unfriendly towards players with disabilities, which is really bad for accessibility. Especially in multiplayer games where they have such a huge advantage over players using stick controls, that people stuck with sticks might as well not bother playing.

Yeah, but that's not what's happening here.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Gyro is an additional degree of control built on top of stick controls. Sticks cannot in any sense of the word outperform gyro without the game generously doing all of the aiming for you. How good or bad the sticks are in any given game does not bear any weight in an argument as to which is a better control scheme for that game.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Araxxor posted:

There are several players that don't like 2 and just found 1 more fun. Everyone has their reasons to dislike something. Sequels typically are considered worse than the original stuff when it comes to various forms of media anyways.

Also the game got way worse from a technical standpoint.

It did not get worse from a technical standpoint. There are an additional 3 frames of input delay compared to Splatoon 1, but this additional 3 frames exists in every first-party title on the Switch. It is a problem specific to a standard Nintendo has established for coding their games and not to Splatoon 2 specifically. That's it for technical steps backwards. That's the whole list, aside from not being able to back up your save (again, probably more of an issue with Nintendo rather than a problem to lay at the feet of the Splatoon 2 devs) and not shipping with anti-cheat, which they put back in later. The wi-fi chip being lovely and controllers being prone to malfunction are the only other things I can think of that would lead people to believe that, but neither has anything to do with quality of the game.

You can be any amount of disappointed that they didn't improve upon the awful netcode and tick rate of Splatoon 1, but that can't be an indictment of 2 without it also being an indictment of 1. There are so many quality of life improvements within the game itself that I can't believe anyone who thinks 1 was better has ever actually gone back to play it at any length. The constant frame drops in Splatoon 1 should be an absolute deal breaker for anyone.

kidfresca fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 13, 2019

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

I haven't played anything that controls like Resident Evil 4 in a very long time, and for the last four years the only shooter I've played is motion-controlled Splatoon. My brain was not very happy about about going back.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Does the button mapping work with Switch or is that a PC-only feature? Because if not, the 8bitdo controller's right stick being below the ABXY buttons (I prefer this layout and was sad when they switched away from the Wii U gamepad setup) probably hinders it's usefulness in certain games. The jump button in Splatoon 2, for example, is assigned to the B button because of its proximity to the right stick.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

repiv posted:

The mappings are saved on the controller and work on any platform once they're set up.

Guess I'm spending $50 on one then. :backtowork:

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Probably good to keep in mind that, while the Chinese government is deserving of criticism, an uncomfortable amount of that will come from a bad-faith, racist/red scare caricature that views the Chinese as hive-minded, insidious foreign bogeymen. It's a very black-and-white 'China is the bad guy" thing for them. The nuance of "it's really hosed up that American companies would turn a blind eye to oppression in a heart beat purely for financial incentives" is lost on them. See: Ted Cruz visiting Hong Kong, etc.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Klisejo posted:

Yes yes, the Soviets tried this line of deflection to undermine western criticisms of them too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

No one's undermining criticism, though. :confused: The question was lobbied as to why some people all of a sudden care about this happening in Hong Kong and not when similar things happen in the United States. I answered. It doesn't discount the opinions of people who understand both are hosed up and say so.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

The Splatoon 2 single player campaign has a lot of replay value. After the first time you clear it, you have the option to go back and play any level with any weapon (and it tracks which you've cleared with what if you want to be a completionist). The Octo Expansion similarly has extended replay value, although it's even better because you get all of the choices upfront from the first playthrough. If you can't get a good deal buying the two together, it might be a good idea to hold off on Octo Expansion in case the game doesn't hold your kid's interest. It's noticeably more difficult than the base campaign, but overall way, way better both gameplay-wise and from an atmosphere/narrative perspective.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

This is the only thing resembling a hint at (mostly a lack of) changes to internals. It could also, like a lot data mining related things, be nothing.

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1367309745158320128?s=19

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Alan_Shore posted:

"Is this game good?"

"I've played it for 50 hours. It is average"

Someone here managed to get a refund from Nintendo for Splatoon 2 after about that much playtime. :allears:

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

8bitdo could make a customer out of me if they sold a controller with the right stick oriented above the face buttons. I always thought pressing the X button to jump with the joint of my thumb extended straight while still being able to control the stick with the pad of my thumb in Splatoon on the Gamepad felt better than hitting B with the side of the joint of my thumb bent at a 90 degree angle did on the Pro Controller in Splatoon 2.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I may be misremembering but wasn't the Wii set up so it wouldn't play DVDs but people discovered with slight modifications they worked fine? And the only reason the Wii wasn't usable as a DVD player by default was "Nintendo?"

They put out a Wii model that could play DVDs for a short window of time in Japan. I don't think it was particularly popular. The issue isn't Nintendo disabling the functionality, the necessary software for DVD playback requires paid licensing that Nintendo did not want to pay.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Wow, do some people really not see anything wrong with Nintendo hatchetting a 40 hour game down to 30 hours?

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

I just hope Splatoon 3 does away with the terrible marine life gimmick.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

kidfresca posted:

I just hope Splatoon 3 does away with the terrible marine life gimmick.

Well, well, well... Look who willed mammals back into existence.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

nrook posted:

I’m looking for a new game to pick up. What are some Switch games with really great soundtracks?

Sayonara Wild Hearts

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Both developers and Nintendo itself are already refuting Bloomberg's claim that there were 4k dev kits sent out. "OLED is the Switch Pro" gang stays winning.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a post from here to which all the users circlejerk to it.

I just find the Bloomberg starch defense to be lol.

I knew it was going to be resetera the moment I saw the word reactionary used incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Baba is great for starting a second save file after not having played for a long time. I either forgot large chunks of the game or I'm progressing with alternative solutions.