Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

“Wario and Waluigi may have been lovers” - official Nintendo canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Last night I decided I'd take a shot at scoring a copy of Ring Fit, as luck would have it Target's website said my local store had one copy left so I ordered it and figured I'd pick it up today

Then I thought more about it and figured Target's inventory counts on their website were probably wrong and whatever worker went to pull the game from the shelves would find the shelves empty, so I went looking elsewhere and managed to order a copy off eBay

Turns out Target's website was actually right and I picked it up this morning, and right as I did so eBay let me know that their copy had shipped so it was too late to cancel it

Long story short I now have one copy in hand and another on the way of a game that I thought would be hard to find, lol

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

if you use both you'll turn into a chiseled Greek god

:hellyeah:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I thought I read somewhere that Nintendo had basically zero infrastructure for working from home so they pretty much had everything grind to a halt while they scrambled to get that up and running

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

I found out my library has Switch games

whoa, what? That fuckin' owns, time to get Denver to do the same

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 ($39.99)

Coming soon: DLC to postpone the games to 2021

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Animal Crossing is so chill it doesn't even have or need a pause function

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

Here's a reminder for the weekend: pick up a Short Hike if you haven't already. It's just a delightful little game.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/a-short-hike-switch/

Nthing the recommendations for A Short Hike, I only got about an hour into it yesterday but it’s a real treat and I don’t think I’ve ever chuckled so much at a game’s dialogue

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I, for one, am happy that Nintendo hasn’t been trying to occupy the same space as Microsoft and Sony for over a decade now, and would rather they not start to try now with a Switch Pro or what the gently caress ever

Nobody is buying a Nintendo console for the latest and greatest first-person shooter with XXXTRA REALISTIC GRAPHICS, they’re buying a Nintendo console to have their buddies over to take shots and dunk on each other at Smash Bros

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

I honestly don't like to sell my old game systems for "Improved Versions." This stems back from when I was a child and had to earn my game systems via good grades and such. I earned them and have good memories about that.

Pretty sure I didn’t earn mine so much as my family just felt sorry for me and got it to make me feel better; they generally keep Christmas gifts small, clothes and trinkets and whatnot, but the year I broke my jaw and spent the holidays wired shut, they loaded me up with a Switch and a ton of accessories (but no games :v:)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The fact that they basically just ported SM64 and bumped up the resolution took out a huge chunk of my enthusiasm for this, it went from a must-have to "eh, maybe I'll split it with my roommate since he's never played SMS"

What a letdown :sigh:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

yellowyams posted:

Has it? I figured they're greedy and wouldn't waste the budget on making new assets for a whole game if a bunch of people weren't going to use them but I could be super ignorant and missed all the games that do this since I don't play many big studio games outside of Nintendo and even then far less of them than probably most Nintendo fans. Like I'm not trying to rub it in people's faces if they don't like retro graphics or anything, I agree it would be ideal if they had both options. But the closest I've personally seen of something like that is letting you change a character skin while leaving the rest of the game the same.

The Halo Anniversary edition has the option to toggle between the original and remade graphics on the fly, and in the Halo: Master Chief collection, they added this ability to Halo 2 as well

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

We’ll probably never know for sure but I can totally buy that SM3DW was supposed to be the big holiday release and got pushed back due to the ‘Rona

Also normally I’d say we’d have had a new BOTW2 trailer by now if they were planning on releasing the game this year, but since Nintendo’s apparently now just doing poo poo-‘n-run product announcements with like two weeks’ notice before release...I guess it may be possible. Not holding my breath though.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

robot roll call posted:

I can almost guarantee there's something coming out in nov/dec we don't know about but it's going to be something weird that none of us are expecting like, hmmmm, a new Donkey Kong Country Returns

Waluigi’s origin story

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

It's all the old games translated to a new engine with updated and uniform sprites. It probably doesn't offer much other than just another way to play if you don't have any nostalgia for the original SNES release.

Don't forget the Lost Levels!!!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Lodin posted:

Someone else pointed it out already but I suspect that Nintendo haven't been hitting their expected sales numbers this year

lol

quote:

Nintendo’s operating profits skyrocketed 428% in the fiscal first quarter, the company said Thursday, a wild jump that reflects just how much the video game industry has benefited from the coronavirus pandemic.

The Japanese gaming giant reported operating profit of 144.7 billion yen ($1.4 billion) in the April-June quarter, smashing analyst expectations and representing a massive climb from the 27.4 billion yen it posted in the year-ago quarter.

Net sales meanwhile came in at 358.1 billion yen, up an impressive 108% from the 172.1 billion yen Nintendo reported in the same period last year. Sales of the company’s popular Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite consoles grew around 167% to 5.68 million units in the quarter.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you just gotta have an Animal Crossing Special-Edition Switch, EB Games has preorders up now for $469AUD

Be aware the game doesn't come with it.

Lol what the gently caress?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

galaxy.

i never had a wii and apparently it's in the top 3 of all the mario platformers.

Galaxy’s a magical time on the first play through, enough so that at the time I considered it the finest game I’d ever played. The soundtrack is a masterpiece.

That said I’ll be revisiting Sunshine first, I don’t believe I’ve touched that one since finishing it on GC

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Augus posted:

is there anywhere can I get some actual specific information on the quality of the All Stars ports that isn't just people making vague statements while taking passive-aggressive snipes at each other for being too loyal/not loyal enough to Nintendo

I’ll let you know how cool and good or dumb and bad they are sometime this weekend

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

I got Ring Fit Adventure so it can help me lose weight and get it in better shape. Taking it easy so far but it feels fun. I am hoping they do more with the Ring Fit controller.

Then it dawned on me......they need a Ring Fit Mode in Mario Kart 9.

The build for it is simply to do.

Steering: Turn the ring left/right. Duh.

Accelerating: Have options for this. One would be to jog in place with an intensity level or even have an auto accelerate (squeezing the ring at the right time would trigger the start boost in this)

Breaking: Squeeze the ring (there will be a delay to not mess up the starting boost).

Hopping: Pull the ring.

Items: There will be two options. #1 is with the leg strap on, do a quick knee life to select/use the item. #2 would be to quickly bring the ring to a horizontal position to make it feel like you are 'throwing' it. Reversing it would shoot the items from the back of the kart.

This is just a rough draft of the idea but this would be a fun option to put in the game. Does it sound fun?

I’d find this completely insufferable, but if they make it an option for those who want it and let me keep my current controls, that’d be cool

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And if you want a REAL trip, play the still - supremely-excellent Super Mario Bros 2, which is "what if Mario, but weird and still good?"

Game is a strange masterpiece.

I've been playing through this lately and I completely forgot about the level with the LSD clouds, SMW2 rules

American McGay posted:

Galaxy/2 is my absolute favorite Mario game to play but honestly it might be kinda weird playing it with a standard controller. I was one of the weirdos who really enjoyed the nunchuck + shake to spin controls. Very fluid and comfortable.

Play it with detached Joy-Cons, it feels extremely similar to the Wiimote + nunchuk combo

First thoughts on Super Mario Galaxy: Cash Grab Edition:

I usually prefer Joy-Cons for anything involving motion controls and this is no different; trying to point/aim with the gyros on the Pro Controller felt unbearably awkward and clunky. I do appreciate that they mapped the spin/activate launch stars/etc functions to Y, I prefer that for spinning but somehow still find shaking the controller to activate launch stars to be way more satisfying.

The cursor can sometimes be jumpy and erratic; not a game-breaker by any means, but it can be frustrating while trying to scoop up a bunch of star bits at a time.

Also, as noted in some reviews, there's some really obvious color-banding and graininess issues with some of the level backgrounds, to the point where it's distracting at times; but, all it takes is a few seconds of whistling along to the soundtrack for me to forget all about that.

A few very minor issues, but overall, it's still just as magical as the first time I played it :)

(I loving love this soundtrack so, so much)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is very much not the game I'm talking about. All praise to SMW2 deserved, but I was referring to Super Mario Bros 2.

With Wart, Hawkmouth, Clawglp, Mouser, Birdo, and the Autobombs.

Whoops, guess I ran into one too many of those LSD clouds!!!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

64's good for a nostalgia hit
Galaxy's good for a dopamine hit
Sunshine's good for a lot of ragequits

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Galaxy is dumb.

:mods:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

The little planets are the best. I would spend hours trying to hit the exact long jump to set myself into perfect orbit.

The moment I realized I could put Mario into orbit around a planet was the moment I determined that Galaxy was the greatest game I'd ever played up to that point

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a way to fix the movement controls in SMG? They are fine until you go under water...and then they invert for no good reason.

Yeah, I was having a drat blast playing Galaxy right up until the first underwater level, and it was like hitting a cement wall - incredibly frustrating controls and camera, and on top of that, you can't even move the camera yourself

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

The gamecube manual did have that info, at least. Remember having physical manuals?

If I’d known physical manuals were gonna go away someday maybe I would’ve actually read them

lol j/k manuals are for losers

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The day Nintendo goes portable-only is the day I stop buying Nintendo consoles

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

RickRogers posted:

Mario galaxy has legit amazing music. It's such an achievement of a game, glad I am skipping the hell of 64 and frustration of sunshine right now.

Galaxy's soundtrack is pure, unadulterated magic, easily one of Nintendo's finest lightning-in-a-bottle productions

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Wario & Waluigi make their debut in Grand Theft Auto: Mushroom Kingdom

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to play Galaxy docked? I started with a Pro Controller and it feels a little weird using the gyro. I might try joy cons but I’m always hesitant to use them because I’m afraid of drifting, I try to only use them in handheld mode these days.

Joy-Cons are way better for Galaxy for gyro purposes alone

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I believe I read somewhere that it is indeed at least based on the BOTW engine, and apparently Link will have most of his combat moves retained from BOTW as well

Side note, why are the underwater controls in Galaxy so loving HORSE poo poo

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Finally finished Galaxy! I’d forgotten about the acid trip of an ending lol

Gonna put it down for a while before going for all 120 stars - back to A Short Hike!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Has anyone else had problems with Hades+Joycons? I thought my joycons might be broken (they very well may be) because I would hit these stretches in hades where all of a sudden I couldn't attack/dodge. Then I'd pause the game and the buttons were still working. unpausing would make them start working again for a bit, but then it would continue. No issues with the pro controller.

I chalked it up to defective hardware, but I brought my switch out of town over the weekend and ran into the same problem frequently, making Hades unplayable. So I tried some other games and had zero issues with the Joycons, went back to Hades and sure enough. I have never had any problems with them in other games (except a very rare slight drift that fixes itself with a reconnect). Now I am starting to wonder if it's something with the game.

I’ve noticed a similar issue with the joy-cons not working well for a few games (Super Mario Word on SNESflix, for one) but fine with most games, and with the Pro Controller working fine on those few specific games. Not sure why it really even makes a difference but it is what it is

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

New Donk City is stupendously amazing and absolutely worth the wait. Odyssey really does feel like Nintendo just throwing in every crazy idea they had, included them, and then polishing everything to perfection.

I also forgot how good the movement controls can feel - its a near perfect example of easy controls for casual folks to pick up while also offering an obscene level of depth for long time fans.

Like I love 3d World, and am stoked about that so many people are going to experience it all at once again, but it deliberately limits Mario's massive move set (most stuff is here, but its nowhere near as useful) in order to pare down the formula.

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised at how many things they included that nominally might not seem like something you’d expect to see in a Mario game. The semi-realistic dragon really threw me for a loop.

Also, the part where you take control of Bowser seemed wild at the time, but thinking about it, it’s really just the logical endpoint of a game whose entire premise is taking control of your enemies.

Also, the music may not have the “new and magical” feeling that Galaxy’s music did, but it is still on loving point

Odyssey is easily the best Mario game yet and I can’t wait for the inevitable sequel

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GauchoNaut2085 posted:

My joycons are starting to die with phantom movement and I was wondering if the pro controller is worth it or if there are some well acknowledged alternatives that I should grab instead? The joycons weren't fragile persay but I would like to know if the pro controller is durable enough to be worth it.

I find the Pro Controller to be painfully awkward for anything involving motion controls (Mario Galaxy being the worst offender so far), so i stick with the Joy-Cons for those, but I prefer it for anything that doesn’t involve motion controls or has an option to bypass them.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I really wish more games had demos. I’d probably have bought a lot more by now if I was given a chance to try them first.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Speaking of people saying “I should get a refund, eh gently caress it too much work”, I spaced sending my second copy of Ring Fit Adventure back to eBay before the deadline passed. Anyone want it? Never opened.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

It’s more likely that they are just saying that people were saying that in order to generate clicks. It seems very unlikely to me that anyone above middle school age would think AOC is flat out replacing BotW2

Aonuma flat-out said in the AoC announcement video that they were still working on BOTW2 and just needed a bit more time to show us something, though I suppose not everyone watched the full video instead of just the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

Little jones and I definitely noticed this. It seems to be an issue with the joycons.

I've noticed the same issue with SMW in the SNES app, specifically with the Joy-Cons but not the Pro Controller (and the Joy-Cons work fine for other games)