Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Saw that La Mulana 2 will be out this summer. Loved the first - did the second live up to expectations?

Can’t wait to play it in handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The Silver Snail posted:

So it looks like the kickstarter for Orange Island is going to clear it's Switch port stretch goal, which is great news, because I've got a feeling this is going to be a cool game! Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlTk76Myac

Looks like Legacy of the Wizard and the gameboy Kirby had a baby. I’m sold.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Bummed it’s still several months away, but La Mulana 1 & 2 are coming to the Switch in western markets in Spring 2020!

http://nigoro.jp/en/2019/08/la-mulana-1-2-coming-to-the-consoles/

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still kinda want to play the first Yooka Laylee. I know it didn’t get great reception compared to this new game but I feel like playing a collectathon.

As a big fan of collectathons, i got YL on sale for Switch, and found it to be pretty fun and worth the purchase.

The gameplay and sound design are good and more of the same from BK/BT.

I found the art direction/lighting/environment design lacking. Game felt weirdly stuck between cartoony and realistic aesthetics, and the lighting felt too dark in a lot of places.

Game also could have benefited from a few minor QOL changes, namely, a map to mark to remember where the hell you ran into a puzzle you couldnt solve in the sprawling worlds.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Has there been any word on a port of DS2 or DS3 to Switch? I remember it being rumored when Remastered was first announced.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone with Shovel Knight Treasure Trove been able to get King of Cards working on 3DS? I downloaded the Update, but the King Knight campaign doesn’t seem to be an option when I start a new game.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I don’t typically have the patience for story or cutscene-heavy games anymore, but man, the Witcher is an absolute delight.

The Switch has been so good for making games I wouldn’t have had the time to play otherwise accessible for lame rear end dads like me.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The Switch screenshot button is sooo good for La Mulana/2.

Been waiting for this port for awhile, handheld Mulana owns.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Man, Phoenix Wright loving rules.

Never played a VN before, so the pace took some getting used to, but now I’m hooked on the trilogy Switch port.

The case with Von Karma was my favorite so far, and Rise from the Ashes was also a great finish to the first game.

The combination of music, character design, and animation makes for such satisfying moments. The villains in particular are great, and I really enjoyed two things:

Turnabout Goodbyes
Taking down Von Karma, after he shuts you down time after time, and even gets you penalized for pressing the witness. Him holding his arm gingerly throughout finally made sense when the bullet reveal happens. These types of animation details are so good.

Rise from the Ashes
Every part of Damon Gant’s personality. His banter to the end remains friendly and lighthearted, even after you snare him with the evidence law rule. Very refreshing villain.

Outside of the trilogy, are any other PW games worth playing?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

A Short Hike is really charming, and a perfect game for my 5-year old to sharpen her reading skills.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I think the decision to add weapon durability to F.L.U.D.D was a good one.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone played Spellbreak?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Legit surprised there aren't more kids games where you can just wander around and collect stuff without lives or threatening enemies. That's how I got my first kid over the hump. There was a Disney princess game you could wander around the map and the enemies didn't hurt you so she had all the time in the world to figure things out.

A Short Hike is like this.

Very chill exploration game with things to collect, animals to talk to, a few little sidequests, and a mountain to climb.

My 5 year old loves it.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone put time into Ikenfell yet? The Mario RPG/tactical battle system looks neat, but the art direction really doesn’t excite me much.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I mean, Google Analytics will give Nintendo a view into how many people are visiting pages for specific games, the time they spend on each page, and overall trends on how users are browsing the eShop for games.

That data can lead them to improving the user experience overall so it’s not completely filled with garbage all the time. To me, that’s a plus.

I’m pretty surprised they didn’t have it installed already.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I lost momentum about 80% into both La Mulana games, and had to consult a walkthrough a number of times to progress, but even so they are both fantastic games. Will for sure replay both from the beginning at some point.

Legacy of the Wizard + Riven + Metroid is the best way I can describe the games. Maybe with a splash of Dark Souls.

Explore a vast underground labyrinth that’s way bigger than it seems; puzzle out the history, language and pantheon of an ancient people (keep a pen and paper handy); discover items that open up new paths and allow you to interact with the dungeon’s secrets; fight challenging bosses.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Been playing some Obra Dinn and :stare:

So the squid was definitely surprising, but a giant spider now? The gently caress is going on???

Man, this game is good so far.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

How’s Among Us gonna work given quick typed communication is such an integral part of the game?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Obra Dinn question re: book chapters -

Is the Bargain able to be completed before you find out everyone’s identity? I am at the place where I’ve just filled out every other chapter besides that one, and I’m at just over half of the fates solved.

Is there something I need to do to unlock the Bargain chapter now, or is it time to roll my sleeves up and figure out all these remaining 3 triangle fates/people?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

the moon distribution is maybe the ideal configuration to satisfy the greatest number of players and nintendo can't be expected to fix every different breed of brainworm is the bottom line i think

Nailed it.

I beat the game, hunted moons until it got to the point where all that was left was really obtuse or tedious moons, unlocked Darker Side and that was plenty for me.

I love collectathons to this day, but with much more limited gaming time and living in the era of backlog gaming, quitting games when they become more work than fun is where it’s at.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I have a group of 4 friends that I’ve been playing Smash games together with since 64 came out, though we did skip the WiiU/3DS gen.

It’s an incredibly fun game with close friends even after hundreds and hundreds of hours, but I can’t imagine having much fun with it single player or online with randos.

No items, random characters, voice chat and beer.

We used to have a really fun custom tourney setup in Brawl and maybe Melee, but for whatever reason Ultimate won’t support it in online arenas, which is a bummer, but otherwise Ultimate is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Just pre-ordered 3D World ahead of the Friday release! Never had a WiiU, so my daughter and I are stoked to play it.

Is the $70 pro controller still pretty much the best controller option? I have one already, but it’s probably time to upgrade from the joycons for P2.