Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I basically can't play games on my first generation iphone SE. Screen's too small, but frankly I have zero desire for a monster phone because the whole point is the thing goes nice and easy in my pocket. I really wanted to get Final Fantasy Tactics after playing Triangle Strategy, but I realized it would be miserable on a screen that small.

I use my Switch handheld/tabletop a ton, but only at home, and I travel with it if I'm staying somewhere, and even then I tend to prefer taking my 3DS. I feel it's too fragile and to be that person, I find books to be far easier to carry whether in paperback or even on a e-reader. They both fit in pockets or in any style bag.

Have you considered an oversized book with a switch-shape hole carved into the pages in which to hide your Nintendo switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CFox posted:

I’ve never played a saga game but is the battle system as fun as it looks here? I wanna suplex demons while shooting laser lances into their rear end in a top hat. Also that setup at the beginning with haste + buffs and then petrify + grail looked like the sort of thing you can setup some crazy nonsense with.

I never played this game but the music makes me feel like a teenager again. That's some solid Squaresoft battle music.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Was there a second Rise demo?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation. We bought a Switch for our kids, ages 6 (twins) and 9. I'm trying to find a multiplayer game that also has a solid single player component.

I'm considering Luigi's Castle or Animal Crossing but I am open to all suggestions.

Will either of those games support multiple save files so they can have their own "games"?

We have a PS4 so this will be a good alternate device. We also have Minecraft on the PS4 and I have PS+. My daughter has Minecraft on her Kindle Fire. If I bought Minecraft for the Switch, could all three of them play together? We currently cannot because if two players are on the PS4 version, only one player account is tied to my PS+ account, so they both cannot play online.

I'll toss a Mario Kart 8 recommendation into the mix.

Also you should keep posting music in the psych rock thread.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Xalidur posted:

How's the Satisfye Grip if you have small hands? Extended undocked time makes my wrists hurt, so a solution would be groovy, but I'm concerned the grip could make the shoulder buttons harder to use.

I don't have small hands but I can't imagine it making shoulder buttons hard to reach. It doesn't really add bulk to the switch. It gives you an area to hold it with your middle, ring, and little fingers. It feels like using a normal controller. Using my Switch in HH without my satisfye grip is unfathomable.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I discovered a new type of Korok after ~150 hrs of BOTW across 1.5 playthroughs. I noticed a nut sitting in a hole in the side of a tree, shot it with an arrow, and a Korok popped out! Now I have to look closely at every large tree I pass by...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
That's a hell of a gif

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played and enjoyed Three Houses but by my standards it was a bland strategy rpg.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Spiteski posted:

I'm having trouble deciding which switch game to spend money on. MonHun Rise, or Bravely Default 2.
I love turn based games and FF style stuff, but also have like, 3 big RPGs to complete (XC2, Dragonquest, Fire Emblem 3h).
I also love monhun, but have not finished GU yet because world came along and made that poop by comparison.

Help me thread, help me spend money I shouldn't on a game I wont play.

This is easy. Monhun. It's real, real good. Just an absolute joy to play. I didn't play World so I'm losing my mind about hour smooth this is and all the QOL stuff. It's a great game!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Got really into Cadence of Hyrule and will pick up Crypt of the NecroDancer when it released on April 30th. What other cool rhythm games or dungeon rougelikes should I try?

Check out Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells. Both are good but I think Gungeon is the better game. Cells gets too hard too quickly and the increase in difficulty is primarily due to unfun game mechanics in higher difficulty.

crunchytacosupreme posted:

I tried binding of Isaac but could not get into it. Sold it for Cadence of Hyrule.

What couldn't you get into with Isaac? I'm curious because I bought it several years ago and bounced off it. Last year I got really into Cadence, which made me check out Gungeon, which lead to Dead Cells, which finally made me revisit Isaac. Then Isaac clicked real hard with me and I played it exclusively for a good 150 hours and still drop in every now and then. What I'm trying to say is maybe give Isaac a second chance because that's what I did and I'm glad I did 'cause it's fun as heck.

PS: I have Cadence of Hyrule too and I think it's one of the weakest roguelikes I've played, despite having some of the best damned music.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lodin posted:

Tangledeep is legit awesome and as far as I know the only proper roguelike on the system.

Oh ya this game is really good too! It's the most traditional roguelike in my Switch library. I got a good 35-40 hours out of it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh I forgot Hades too! Goodness I'm out of it today (got monhun on the mind).

Hades is great and one of the best games I played last year.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hades is so good. Between that and MH Rise I've been getting obsessed with games I didn't think I'd really be into

At the risk of sounding pretentious, Hades and Rise didn't get me into these kinds of games, but I love them so much and appreciate everything they do to make the game more accessible because all those things make it more fun for me, too! I'm so excited for a broader group of people to experience the types of games I love so much, but are a hard sell for whatever reason. It's a great time for game design making obtuse/challenging games more accessible. Everyone deserves to have fun! :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Nth’ing sword and shield. I used to think the controls in the games were the worst. Then I tried sword and board and it was a gateway into a real fun game series.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Monster Hunter is so good my cat spent the morning in bed and played it with me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

External Organs posted:

I'm not sure how monster hunter works, is it something I could jump into after the content update (this summer?)?

I'm into games with weird and complex systems (loving adore Path of Exile) but not sure if it'll be cool to jump in with everyone else being crazy good at the game. Are there like, seasonal resets or anything?

Just not sure I have the time at the moment.

I think it'll be fine to join any time. MP is pretty chill. Hell even the MP hunts scale to 1 player if you find the MP is unwelcoming for whatever reason. There are no resets.

It's a very fun game filled with complexity ranging from drop chances to gathering items to the combat. Each of the 14 weapons has its own systems at play. Loads of skills to consider and find ways to use. It's a real fun playground of complicated systems.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Blasphemous is great. I loved every moment I spent finishing the game.

Dead Cells is fun until it's not. The difficulty curve is steep and full of dumb mechanics.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

There was a learning curve for me to adjust in terms of control, but there are still platforming sections that make me feel really annoyed when comparing it to similar games like Hollow Knight.

Thematically Blasphemous is super super good but if you want a better metroidvania type game that's inspired by dark souls then stick to Hollow Knight imo

Blasphemous smokes Hollow Knight in both inspiration-from-Dark-Souls and Fun Game categories.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

American McGay posted:

I hate Hollow Knight and I'm not even brave enough to make that comment in this thread. Better head for the bunker my friend, they're coming for you.

This is the hill on which I've chosen to make my stand.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

I think the aesthetic and animation work on blasphemous is incredible, but it is not fun to play at all

Everything is slow and plodding and you die in two hits so you have to spend a lot of your time shuffling back from the last checkpoint

I made great use of sliding in Blasphemous to get where I was going quickly. You're more resilient than two hits. And I thought the run backs to bosses were shorter.

Also the bosses were more fun and required far less attempts than Hollow Knight's.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has anyone played this Crying Suns game that’s releasing later this month? It’s been around on PC for a year or two I think. It sounds like it’s a mash up of lots of things I enjoy, but I am always wary of games doing too many things just okay, rather than one thing very well.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/crying-suns-switch/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyway, I'm pumped for Subnautica tomorrow :toot: I wasn't originally going to pick it up (haven't played it before), but like 2 reviews from YouTube in, and I'm loving sold.

What convinced you to finally play Subnautica? I am interested in it, I know folks love it, but I haven’t yet figured out why.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I thought with 180 new posts since I looked at the thread this morning there was something exciting happening but as best as I can tell it’s 180 posts about amiibo committing war crimes?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Those wind gust enemies at the top of Rico Harbor sure are obnoxious.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Collecting 8 red coins at Rocco Harbor is quite possibly the worst mission I’ve played in any Mario game to date. Absolutely no part of this is fun. The controls suck. Red coin hit detection is flawed at best, I’ve lost count of the number of coins I just zoom right through without collecting. And then the end. How do you collect the shine on the dock? I’ve died just as many times trying to collect the shine as I have collecting all 8 red coins. Seriously, gently caress this dumb mission.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1400429929813012485

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got the shine everyone. It’s sucked a whole bunch. In my attempts to hop onto the dock more strange things happened in addition to the clip I shared earlier. One time I got stuck on the face of the dock while still in the water, the blooper was acting like it was swimming forward but I was glued to the dock. Another time I got switched to another blooper which then swim straight out, similar to my earlier clip, but this time we went thru the yellow out of bounds line and just zoomed off into the ocean. I couldn’t steer and we rode out for 5-10 seconds and then crashed into nothing.

Can’t wait to see what else Sunshine has in store for me!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ErrEff posted:

Oh, the places you will go! Later levels are even more unfinished than Rocco Harbor.

:downs:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Wowza the controls in Sunshine are really getting to me. Such a shame. I started out really digging this game. The setting and aesthetics are so good! But the gameplay leaves much to be desired.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I generally don’t mind the FLUDDless levels of Sunshine, but the hotel lobby secret can get hosed.

There’s too much dumb poo poo that wastes your time. Mario is fun when you’re moving forward making progress. At the second jump of the level there are three enemies waiting to push you off the ledge, so the prudent thing is to wait for them to rush you and jump on all three of them. Then the next section requires you to wait for three floating enemies to float into place so you can use them to complete a jump, because for some god forsaken reason this game doesn’t have a long jump. Then you need to wall climb after that, but not before going up the wall three times to break blocks before the fourth time up thru the cleared path. Then you deal with some falling sand blocks to ultimately get to a section that requires you to ride a spinning block.

This god damned spinning block is the absolute worst.

Sometimes I slide off when I think I’m on flat ground and get PTSD flash backs of all the unnecessary and physics-defying sliding that I suffered through in Mario 64.

Or maybe I jump to the next section but need to quickly jump backwards to correct my landing, but too bad Mario’s going to do his high backwards somersault and shoop off the block.

gently caress this block and this level forever. It’s full of dumb bullshit that wastes your time. This isn’t the first Mario level that requires patience and it probably won’t be the last, but they’re all terrible.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I understand how those Mario 64 likers felt when a wave of people were complaining about the controls on the release of 3D All-Stars when I read all of these Sunshine haters failing at what I thought were mundane challenges

My 3D Mario experience has been 3D World, Odyssey, 64, and now Sunshine. 3D and Odyssey have exceptionally perfect controls, especially Odyssey. In those games I don’t feel any challenge is hard because of the controls.

All of the challenge in 64 and now Sunshine is because my brain and/or hands cannot make sense of the controls. I know what I can do, and I know how it should work, but mastery of them eludes me. It’s very frustrating because I should enjoy these two games more than I do, but the controls stand firmly between me and maximum fun. So I will eternally resent and bitch about them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My nephew got reeeaaaalllly into Mario over the past year from playing Galaxy on his Dad’s Wii. His sixth birthday is in a few months and he will be receiving a Switch from his parents. I’m putting a lot of thought into what game(s) I’m going to get him.

For mainline Mario titles I’m thinking about:
-Odyssey
-3D World
-All Stars (probably not since he has Galaxy already and I’m struggling to adapt to 64 and Suneshine as I play through Allstars).
-the Wii U NSMB (it got a port, right? I played it on Wii U and thought it was great).

I’m also thinking about Mario themed games:
-Captain Toad
-Smash Bros.
-Mario Kart

I’m also considering Link’s Awaking. He is aware of Link and Zelda but is under the misconception that he’s too young to play them. I call bullshit because I was playing original LoZ when I was 4 or 5. I wasn’t good at it and I didn’t know what I was doing but I had lots of fun with it. I completed LA as my first solo Zelda game when I was about 7. My nephew is the smartest kid I’ve ever met so I’m pretty sure he’d handle LA just fine.

I welcome any help narrowing down my list to one or two games, or other suggestions to consider (this is my first time ever buying a game for a kid).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh right, Mario Maker 2! He mentioned that and already has a very specific course design in mind.

I played 3D World on WU with my wife and it’s great. My niece is about 2.5 yrs old so she’s going to be able to hold a controller soon too I imagine. The coop angle is a great idea... though last time I spoke with my BIL he was thinking about getting him a Lite, despite my urging against that idea. A Lite sounds like A Disaster for a kid. Those poor joycons are going to get annihilated so quickly and then the entire system will have to be sent for repairs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Better whatevers is a dumb argument simply because everyone seems to ignoring the elephant in the room.

The console is portable, that in itself is the point. The cherry on top is that it is also possibly a home console! But seriously the fact that it's portable makes it a delight. I don't have a new or big smartphone, so I don't know how games work on those these days, but even then I imagine most people prefer games on consoles, and so it really has zero competition on that front. Do you want a portable system? Get a Switch.

I also don't have a good PC, so I'm very happy when games show up on the Switch, performance be damned. There's very little I would personally consider unplayable, and I've yet to encounter it.
It's a good list, but I would strongly consider getting a Online subscription and letting him hash it out with the SNES classics which still really hold up. Between All-Stars, World, and Yoshi's Island there's plenty, and Link to the Past is a great loving Zelda, I'd argue even more interesting than Awakenings at that age, in the event your nephew can't read super well.

Already on it. My wife and I have a family plan and I’m anticipating adding him to it. :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for all the discussion about games and kids. It helps a bunch.

I have a related question (tho not about games). I’m decidedly the cool uncle. My first kid is due in August. Do I continue being the cool uncle? I don’t know how this works. My goal is to be cool uncle and cool dad. Is that possible?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

A loft is a basement with a view.

I gotta say. Monster hunter Rise is so much fun. I did a coop mission last night and it's just incredible how smooth things were with all the stuff happening in the game. I have noticed I'm the only Insect Glaive person that I've encountered and if they're using my play as an indication of weapon ability, I don't blame them, but its fun to vault and fly around the arena eventually colliding with the monster.

It’a because the IG isn’t LS, LBG, DB, or Bow.

IG is reaaaal fun! Keep spinning through the air!!

When you want something else fun to do, give GL a whirl!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This thread sure got weird.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My fashionably late 5 cents:

Not only that, I'm fairly certain I've heard that Alien is the most studied movie ever made, that is, has the most Doctorate and Master's thesis to its name compared to any other film. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise as a whole, but the first movie isn't even remotely a cult classic or anything. It's genre-defining.

Oh that's easy, it's just that Spawn-fans never grew up. Kidding aside, maybe Alien is just that mainstream that the vast majority of fans don't feel the need to collect memorabilia, whereas Spawn remains in that realm of people who collect pop-culture miscellanea.

Yes, yes it did.

What've you been playing lately? You always have such thorough comments to make.

I've been bouncing between Hades, Mario Galaxy, MH: Rise and Stardew Valley.

The first I'm down to a run a day for. It's still very good, but I'm sort of treading water after 70 runs as content is still present but the grind is starting up. I think I'll keep to this holding position for a while since I'm still beating the harder difficulties, I'm at +7, at my highest at the moment.

Galaxy is pretty brilliant and I'm slowly clearing the levels. I do sort of hate the hub, it just feels like it takes too much time to play a level. I guess that's something Galaxy 2 did away with? Pity I'll never get a chance to play it. Also, Rosalina is not an interesting character in the slightest, and I do sort of hate how she just keeps showing up now in Mario games.

MH: Rise, has morphed into a phone game, that is I talk on the phone while grinding money in it. It's still good, but I prefer to play it with my buddy and haven't advanced much on my own. Also, despite it being very adapted to short sessions, I prefer sitting down for a couple of hours when playing it.

Stardew Valley is still an incredible game and it's awful how much it hooks me. I think everyone who likes the genre knows it by now, but it's just the best. I just started Fall 1 and things are going swimmingly. I take it far easier when I play with my partner, who has shocked me but actually enjoying it, even if she still messes up her button presses almost constantly.

Been playing Mario Sunshine. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I think it’s mostly love.

My friend got a PS5 recently and mailed me his PS4 (and God of War). I got that this weekend and have been puttering around with that. It’s a pretty fun game. I haven’t made it very far and I’m surprised at how challenging I’m finding regular enemies. My first kid is due at the end of August so between painting two rooms in prep for him to arrive and doing everything else, I’m trying to finish GoW. If that goes very quickly I’d like to pick up Bloodborne, but I have my suspicions all the prep work and nesting efforts will preclude setting aside untold hours to play a From Soft game.

Also yesterday my BIL and his family visited yesterday. My almost six year old nephew fell in love with Mario during the pandemic and really wants a Switch for his bday in August (spoilers his parents are getting him one and I’m helping select the games). Anyway he was going on and on about how much he wants to play New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe so I fired up my Wii U and showed popped in the disc.

He lost his mind. My life long heavy investment into Nintendo is finally paying off. I am the undisputed cool uncle.

Then we cooped through most of the first world and had a blast. Everyone eventually gathered around the couch and was hollering and gasping and rooting us on. It was a blast. Next time they visit I’ll be prepared to setup a four person session. It’ll be great.

Now I need to really put some thought into what to get him for his bday.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Good stuff. I am no one's uncle, probably for the best, and have yet to have my own kid though we'll see. I am just the friend who keeps trying to get people to play video games with him and not many agree to do so.

If I ever get a chance for a cheap copy of NMBUD I might get it, I do love 2D Mario.

NMSBUD is a faaaaantastic platformer. It’s very, very excellent.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Waluigi’s Nebula or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Miyamoto himself reveals Mario’s new “adult look”

Nintendo jumps in (much too late) on the brief moment gaming tried to appeal to gamer dads.

Mario grows a beard and has a son.