Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Heath posted:

Did the same thing to mine last week. It was already purple but now it has a d-pad. The change in the quality of gameplay is drastic.

I like my neon red and blue, but I'd like a D-Pad. Is there a tutorial/walkthrough you used?

(I also like the Atomic Purple joycons (can you buy them?)because that was the color of my 1st Gameboy Color :3: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Barudak posted:

From a mechanics standpoint, yeah. The rest of the draw of Twewy was the present day street fashion style that is now hilariously dated and the story.

Basically what im saying is dont spend 60 bucks on a phone port

Wait, that was real clothing in-game? I played it on its original DS release, and just assumed everyone was wearing stereotyped JRPG outfits since that's what it looked like.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Dark Souls is the series I have probably the most hours logged in; over 400 on the Steam version of Dark Souls 1 alone.

I own Dark Souls II and III on *literally* every platform they've been released on.

All told I've got probably over 2000 hours in the series.

I adore the games, and I jumped on the Switch port of DS1 as soon as I heard about it.

The games are hard, but almost always fair. However, they're subtle and often require you to approach things much more methodically than you might think at first glance.

If you're a totally new player, there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a character with 40 points in each of STR/STAM/END/VIT and using a sword and shield. In fact, that's an excellent way to learn how the game expects you to play. (oh, buy a bow and use it to pull enemies one at a time) Then, once you learn the mechanics, you can do New Game Plus, or just a new character, and do insane challenge runs like beating the game at level 1 with no armor and never getting hit, or using a banana or DDR pad as a controller.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
That too!

(the literal banana still wins though)

E: link!
https://youtu.be/6HBxOS_qQMk

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 3, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
WHY IS IT NOT LETTING ME PLAY SMASH??

It is giving me the "this game is not yet available to play, would you like to view the eShop for more information?" message :saddowns:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just bought an atomic purple aftermarket housing for my Switch and JoyCons.

How hosed am I if I attempt the swap? My experience consists of replacing my old Pokémon Ruby cartridge battery.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

How the hell should we know man have you tried googling anything at all before buying them?

Oh yeah no I watched a ton of YouTube videos and it looks annoying, but not super difficult.

It's just a ton of posts on the internet say it's horribly hard so I was expecting y'all to be all "abandon hope all ye who enter here".

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

RandomFerret posted:

Most of the aftermarket shell kits come with three big pieces, a front plate, a back plate, and a center piece. Throw that last one away. It's fiddly as hell, you never see it, and it makes the whole thing more fragile

Uhhhh... That middle bit is present on the stock JoyCons, it's what secures the battery and the rumble.

Just throwing it out would leave a lot of stuff just rattling around inside, assuming you could even get the outer shells to close properly without it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think he means to keep the original one and don't try to replace it with the aftermarket shell bit. Which I would also recommend because it's a colossal pain, easily the hardest part of the whole thing.

Hmm, well I'll have to see how it looks when mine arrive tomorrow.

I ordered atomic purple, so the innards will be visible, dunno how visible the middle bit will be.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

RandomFerret posted:

Honestly, the joy cons are packed so tightly you won't see it except for the rail, and that's something that you should consider keeping stock anyway rather than introduce a potential weakness

From the videos I watched, the kits don't seem to come with a new rail, all the videos have you taking the stock rail off and moving it over.

I'll have to go back and watch again to make sure you can get to the bottom layer of circuits without disassembling the middle layer. If you can, I'll probably just use the stock middle for stability's sake.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Steve2911 posted:

I remember legit thinking this about Twilight Princess when I was 15.

Didn't even finish it.

Shame, Twilight Princess is my 2nd or 3rd favorite Zelda, after Link's Awakening and maybe Ocarina of Time.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wish I could be excited about the Link's Awakening remake, but I just can't.

LA was the first game I ever owned myself (as opposed to my parents buying and letting me play), and it's one of my favorites to this day.

But man, I really loathe the art style they're going with for the Switch remake. It looks like someone took that old Claymation Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer movie from the 60s and swapped "cheap plastic" for the clay. Link looks like a goddamn doll.

I get that people are excited that "they remade the environments 1:1!", but it just doesn't work. The game would have been much better in a hand drawn/pixel art style, like Octopath (though skip the tilt shifting).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I can appreciate that I'm in the minority of not liking how the Link's Awakening remake looks.

I'm glad people are going to enjoy it, and I still have the original to play myself. :unsmith:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

a.lo posted:

I don't understand how people can hate the Link's Awakening look. It sort of reminds me of A Link Between Worlds look but given a better look. I never dreamed by LA being remade but now that we are here I can see why they chose that art style. I never thought Link's Awakening would get a sort of BOTW or TP "feel" because I don't think it would be right. I don't think Nintendo devs thought, "how can we make LA more like TP?"

I think the style they have for the gameboy games is stop on. I can literally see them doing the same for the oracle games later on.

Oh no, I'd never want a look like Twilight Princess, despite the fact that Link's Awakening is tied with Majora's Mask for darkest game.

I would have killed for a high quality sprite/pixel art style, kind of like the GBA games but with the Switch power behind them.

I fully confess I generally prefer sprite based art over 3D models, unless the game is explicitly going for a "realistic" look the hardware can power it; for example, I much preferred the GBA Fire Emblem games over the 3DS ones because the 3DS hardware couldn't power "good" polygons, and we ended up with characters with weird chibi bodies and stubs for feet.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zuzie posted:

But yeah, Link's Awakening general tone was one of whimsy with slight bit of...what would the appropriate feeling be? apprehension? dread? As the island's nature is revealed to you. The "toy box" look fits somewhat. I would have been happy with an Octopath Traveler look as well though.

I'd describe it as starting out quaint, almost whimsical, but it doesn't take long before you begin to realize something is off.

The game builds a kind of quiet, almost horror as you discover that the entire game is the dream of a demigod, and that while your only chance at escape is to wake said demigod, you have no assurance that "escape" means getting home. You could very well simply cease to exist.

Which is exactly what you discover will happen to every person you meet on the island. And they all know it too. They straight up state that they are all a dream of the Wind Fish, and that they definitely WILL disappear if he wakes, because they originated in his dream.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

People complaining about the Link's Awakening remake art style is really taking me back to 2002.

What a hot fuckin' take you have there bud :rolleyes:

Bashing Wind Waker was dumb because while the art was a departure from past games, WW was a brand new title and could set its own style.

Link's Awakening is a remake of an existing game, and it set the style for the handheld Zelda games until Minish Cap. Whether you like the new art style or not in a vacuum, you can't deny it is completely different from the original version both technically and in the tone they are shooting for.

Its like a bright toybox, which actually could make for a really neat take on a Zelda game, just not this particular Zelda game, in my opinion.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

romanowski posted:

thank god you're not in charge of these decisions

I just feel like this style:

is a better match for the game's tone than this:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

Octopath looks like crap

:goonsay:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Calaveron posted:

No? It's consistent with the Gameboy style even. Look up the photographs Link gets throughout the game
Like I can't picture Eagle Tower or the super rooster or fighting DethI or sprinkling magic powder on the tanuki man in octopaths style

See, that's interesting. When I was a kid, I never really thought of the pics from the "photo booth" as being supposed to represent the game's "real" style, even though they were presented as photos. Like, for some reason I never imagined them as a snapshot of a cutscene, even though in hindsight that's what they were intended to be.

I just can't reconcile the imagery my mind created as a kid, with the way Nintendo is redoing the graphics.

I don't think people who like it are wrong to do so, and it's frustrating that when I say I don't like it myself, the reaction is to say I'm a loving moron etc.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

American McGay posted:

I wish they would have done some hyper stylized 2D HD spritework more in line with the intro cinematic.

This is what I was trying to say when I presented Octopath, because it was the most modern pixel-art-based game I could think of.

Really, sprites as hyper-detailed as something out of Metal Slug is my ideal, not the style just the quality/level of detail.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm sorry Nintendo failed to consult your childhood imagination before deciding on the new art style. But you have to understand that them using this style was far more likely than them creating a completely new art style for this faithful gameboy game remake.

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for disliking it, but I haven't seen many arguments against it besides "I personally do not like it" or the more common "This whimsical model/toy art style does not fit the dark and foreboding atmosphere of this wacky gameboy game." Wind Waker was cartoony and the final confrontation with Ganondorf was far darker than anything from noted Dark and Gritty Zelda Twilight Princess. Link's Awakening will be fine.

To your first point, if someone had told me they were remaking Link's Awakening, I would have assumed they would use something along the lines of the recent Fire Emblem games, just because they seem to be using that style a lot. I wouldn't have really liked it, but that's what I would have guessed. I wouldn't in a million years have guessed "The Legend of Zelda: Toybox Edition"

To your second point:

quote:

but I haven't seen many arguments against it besides "I personally do not like it" or the more common "This whimsical model/toy art style does not fit the dark and foreboding atmosphere of this wacky gameboy game."

Why does there need to be more? People are allowed to dislike something just because they dislike it, there doesn't need to be some deeper reason, and it doesn't need to be justified, despite how goons act. It's an opinion.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Any thoughts on what might cause one joycon to not charge while the other does?

I took my Switch off its dock for the first time in a while because I was getting ready to do the shell swap, but I noticed that the left Joycon was reading with just a sliver of red in the battery status. The right Joycon is fully charged.

The left one works fine when physically attached to the Switch, but it doesn't appear to be actually charging because if I remove it from the system, it disappears from the controller menu.

When I then reattach it, after a few seconds it reappears on the controller screen, still reading barely charged.

I tried unpairing all the controllers, but as soon as I put it on it reads low power again.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

bushisms.txt posted:

It's a known flaw. I put the joycon on and power down the system completely. Make sure the con is connected before powering down, the rails are really dumb and loose. Then start it back up and it should be more or less resynced to charge. I'd also recommend buying a separate joycon charger so you know when it's the system messed up and not the joycon actually low on power as the sleep function messes with the internal charging meter.

Hmm...

I attached the joycon to the console, waited until it actually appeared in the controller screen, then rebooted.

Upon reboot, the joycon is no longer listed as attached in the controller screen, but after a few seconds it does light up and reappear.

I wish there was a way to tell if the thing was actually charging, or just "being recognized" by the console. Light, have the bar animate or a lightning bolt icon or something.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mega64 posted:

Try updating your controllers, I had a bit of weirdness a couple days ago and that seemed to fix it.

The battery is so low it won't allow the left joycon to update until it charges more :v:

I guess it's a good thing I bought a 2nd pair of Joycons in case I broke one doing the case swap, although now I'll be screwed if I actually do break one doing the swap. I've verified that the new joycons work fine though.

Although, I found something interesting: I bought the Switch with the Neon Red/Neon Blue joycons, right? And the ones that came with the Switch had the left joycon as Blue, and the right one as Red. But the new red/blue pair I bought on Amazon came with the left being Red and the right being Blue...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Welp, I guess it's hosed.

Plugging the Switch into the wall shows that the console and the right Joycon are charging, but the left is not.

What could cause the left one to be recognized, but not to charge though??

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, none of the solutions for my joycon issue worked, so I decided to use it as a trial run for doing the shell swap. Figured I couldn't hurt it if it was already broken.

While I was in there, I cleaned the rail with alcohol, and I cleaned the contacts for the ribbon cables. I also, due to the process of doing the swap, had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Something in that process fixed the issue, as the Switch is now fully recognizing the Joycon, properly reading its power level, and charging it.

So now I've got one atomic purple joycon :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

asecondduck posted:

:toot:

The left one is the easier one, unfortunately. The right one is a lot fiddlier but with some patience it can be done!

Oh dear.

I won't be able to work on it until I get home from travel on Thursday night, but hopefully it's not too crazy.

I wish I had those angled tweezers all the folks making the guide videos have.

Also it wish I had a proper workbench with a magnifier and light, rather than a dining room table.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Wait, I bought Smash on launch (digitally), but I hadn't redeemed PP yet. Did I miss out on him?!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Wendell posted:

If you got the code for the plant and just haven’t redeemed it then it should work. If you didn’t register your physical copy yet then you are too late.

I bought it digitally, but I don't recall being given a code.

E: I'm dumb, the code has been in my email since November :downs:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Arkane, published by Bethesda.

PREY is the best Arkane game imo.

Prey is a great game, but I really wanted a sequel to the original Prey.

Too bad Art Bell died, so they can't put him in as Easter Eggs like the original.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just realized that I never posted pics of the finished Atomic Purple Switch.

Only downside is that one of the screws on the right Joycon got stripped, luckily after I was done with the build, so as long as I never need to replace the battery I'm good. :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

KingSlime posted:

It's cool that you know what you like but you should probably know that souls games are more or less metroidvania/Zelda games and are nothing at all like what you're describing

There's zero grinding for one, it's just you exploring awesome hosed up ruined fantasy worlds and beating bosses to check out new areas. Combat is very pattern based, think classic Castlevania or even mega man (but melee vs guns) in a 3d space.

poo poo owns hard

Souls games are definitely not like Metroidvania/Zelda games.

For one thing, absolutely no usable item or weapon in the game is mandatory (I know this is 100% true for Dark Souls 1, and I'm pretty sure it's true for 2 and 3). You can get to every mandatory area and most optional ones as a level 1 naked rear end piece of zombie jerky.

Whereas one of the defining tropes of Metroidvanias and, to a lesser extent, Zelda games, is that acquiring new weapons/items/power ups opens up new areas to explore.

Edit:

Frankston posted:

It's a shame Dark Souls is so dead online but man it's good to be playing a Souls game again. I missed that overwhelming sense of dread and isolation.

I thought someone in this very thread said the online for DkS was still pretty active?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I remember when I first realized that firmware is called that because it functions as a go-between for hardware and software :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

bbcisdabomb posted:

My right joy-con seems to have a much shorter range than the left one. It disconnects on a regular basis when I'm playing docked from my couch. Is that something Nintendo will fix under warranty?

E: apparently this was the LEFT joycon, not the right. Please swap words below as needed.

Dunno if you are still wondering, but there's a manufacturing defect that Nintendo refers to as a design decision with the right Joycon.

Basically the Bluetooth antenna is positioned in such a way that holding the controller interferes with its signal (aka the same poo poo that one model of iPhone had).

Bad news is I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't fix it, because they don't acknowledge there's a problem.

Good news is its a pretty easy fix yourself, basically just sticking a tiny piece of conductive foam in there.

Looking up a YouTube video on something like "right Joycon signal fix" or whatever should point you in the right direction.

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 26, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not worse IMO and it’s portable.

Stardew is portables though?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

man nurse posted:

I hope the new Poke keeps the encounter system of Let's Go, meaning like, the pokes actually appear on the gameplay field and you can chose to engage them or run around them. That's a fantastic change imo.

I'm glad this garbage system did not come forward, and that they're scrapping the lovely "no wild battles, just catch-or-run" as well.

The sooner we can all forget LG:P/E existed the better.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m glad Breath of the Wild was exactly like every previous Zelda.

My Hot Take:

BotW was a fantastic game, but my absolute least favorite zelda game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ciaphas posted:

is it still eligible to be a hot take if i ultimately disagree with the latter half but understand your argument as reasonable

seems warm at best

My understanding of The Rules is that thinking

* BotW is anything less than perfect

* the Link's Awakening remake looks less than amazing

* low-res 3D models a-la Fire Emblem Awakening and the DS/3DS Pokemon games look like garbage compared to high-res spritework

etc

all qualify as the hottest of hot :goonsay: takes and are deserving of hyperbolic ridicule.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Your Computer posted:

i will fucken fight anyone who doesn't enjoy a good lowpoly model

:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The more Pokemon resembles Dragon Warrior Monsters, the better.

You just dropped a gigaton of nostalgia bomb on me.

I played the fuuuuck outta Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and 2. I'd love it if they came to the eShop.