Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Despera posted:

Zelda 2 is almost as good as it is hard

I recognized this as a child, and then played the original Zelda over and over again because it was easier and me and my mother had our own personal speed run tournament going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Lodin posted:

Ohh, just got a mail about Sunless Sea hitting on the 23d. It has amazing writing and the same fantastick setting as Fallen London. It used to be a pain in the arse to play tho since you constantly have to manage your food, fuel and sanity, but luckily the devs listened and patched in a much easier setting. Now it's actually enjoyable to sail the zee. Oh and it comes with the submarine expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIk2PqPU3o

It looks like Sunless Skies is coming to switch this year too? I've only played a few hours of Skies, but I think these are games I will enjoy much more on the switch than I have on PC. I've been working weird hours, so it'll be nice to come home, smoke a bowl, and chill out on the recliner with some headphones to spooky boating simulators.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is Phantasy Star 2 - 4 available on the switch in some form? I want to play them in handheld mode.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Yup, they're part of the Sega Genesis Classics collection. Be aware though, the collection has some minor input lag, but it shouldn't really affect any games like Phantasy Star.

Thank you!

I’ve regressed to playing the games I loved as a kid and I have to say the sega ages releases are freaking fantastic. I’ve been playing a ton of Shinobi and Monster Land.

I loving love Shinobi. I threw a ton of quarters at it in the arcade and played the hell out of the nes release. It’s been hilarious and awesome playing it with my 8 year old son.

I also bought the SNK collection. It looks really nice, but I haven’t had a chance to dig in yet.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Are there any good school shooting sims on the switch? What about federal building bombing games? I absolutely do not have time for childish bullshit, I am a serious man with serious interests. Don’t waste my loving time.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Kevyn posted:

SSX3 Tricky when?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is anyone else playing Sunless Seas? I avoided it on PC but picked it up on the eshop last week for some reason. I'm typically not a fan of story driven games, but I'm pretty addicted to this stupid thing. It's a good combination of competent writing, good atmosphere, and serviceable roguelike mechanics. The Switch port seems good, my only real complaint so far is the initial load time is long.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Just add Faxanadu, you cowards.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Were they able to patch up Bloodstained? I can pick it up on PC if not, but a new handheld Castlevania sounds good.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it still looks hideous compared to any other version and there are still glitches that have been there since launch

Turns out it’s on the Xbox pass thing, so I’ll play it on PC. Thanks you though!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Awe drat, this SN30+ is super nice. Finally, a good d-pad!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I rarely use analog sticks and end up moving forward when trying to duck or pressing up for no loving reason because I am an old man who grew up on dpads.

Analog sticks are great for 3D but for us olds they can gently caress right off for 2d games.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Metroid Prime was an unplayable frustrating mess if you were playing PC shooters at the time. I could never get past the control scheme and narrow fov.

Of course I still can’t play FPS games with a controller, so maybe it’s just me.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also I assume the PC purist brigade are just a vocal minority because I was happily playing PC shooters and console games concurrently and don't think I deserve any special recognition for being able to do that

I bow to your superiority sir.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I could maybe get it if Metroid Prime was an FPS but it's not, the control scheme was part of feeling like a woman in a chunky clanky power suit and the emphasis was on exploration not combat

That after playing nothing but PC games for 10 years was unintuitive and frustrating. I grew up playing the original Metroid, it was my favorite game for many years. I was super bummed when I finally played prime. I’m sorry that’s hard to hear?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Hey I forgot to say that I do hope the 3D Metroid games really are coming to switch and you’re god drat right I’ll TRY to play them again.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Anyone figure out how to play local coop with multiple profiles in Minecraft Dungeons? It seems it’s restricted to one profile and then guests unless I’m missing something, which is loving dumb.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Secret of Mana came out when I was 16 and as a result I did not play it. Now that I’m old and not constantly high I decided to finally give it a go. I hesitantly shelled out the $40 for the collection, booted it up, and HOLY poo poo this is the most gorgeous loving game I have ever seen. God drat!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There’s a bubble bobble 4? Wtf.

I bought it without knowing anything about it, so here’s hoping it’s not poo poo.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Its on "the list" but I'll be damned if I am paying full eshop price for it. It looks incredibly fun from what I have gleaned, just up my alley. But not $50 fun.

It’s not worth anything close to $50. It’s a fun shooter that should have been a linear narrative driven thing, instead the progression can be frustrating thanks to the poorly thought out roguelike mechanics.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

Is it worth the $20 that Best Buy and Amazon are charging?

Yea, I'd pay $20 for it. It's no Freespace, but it's fun imo.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Monster Boy is a god drat steal at that price. It was one of my favorites of last year.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is bomberman r worth it at that price?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

What price is it now? I got it when it was on sale on the eShop for $10 and it’s absolutely worth it for that price.

Whoops I should have specified. It’s $20 on amazon atm. I went ahead and bought it in hopes of it being a fun family game. Plus, I’ve always liked single player bomberman, so why not.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Hell yes. I’m going to play checkers or othello or some poo poo against strangers and smoke weed because it’s been a stressful week and I’m tired.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there some trick to pairing 8bitdo controllers? I have 2 and both of them quit pairing last night. They are frustrating devices.

It seems like the switch recognizes them for a split second, then says gently caress off I don't want anything to do with you. WTF lol

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 6, 2020

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, and this is weird, if a game needs a single joycon, you won't be able to even have an 8bitdo controller powered up (and I assume it's the same as a Pro controller, as the Switch sees them as the same).

It was Bomberman R, and this was the fix. Thank you dude! :respek:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Looked it up, my brain was not prepared for knowing roberta williams was a total snack

lol

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I wish the shantae games were less horny.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

It's not so much I have a problem with games being horny, that's fine as long as it's done in a respectful way, but I just don't want to be embarrassed when my wife sees me playing it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ask your wife to dress up as Shantae

Problem solved

This is an idea I can get behind.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there any fix for the unresponsive dpad on the pro controller? Other than that it's just about the perfect controller for my hands. The dumb thing just doesn't recognize a press about 1/10 times.

I've been obsessed with controllers the past month and I'm not sure why.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's odd. The usual complaint with the pro controller d-pad is that it registers unintended inputs, not that it fails to register intended ones. Did you purchase used or new? If used, open it and check for tape and remove.

Well drat. It's new, I think I bought it in January? I'll take it apart and clean it up and see what happens.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

hatty posted:

Physical is better, but I like digital because it stops me from selling my games when I think I'm done with them and rebuying them later when I want them again. I must've sold and rebought Brawl four times, it was a real problem

My entire collection was stolen about 6 years ago. Another reason to go digital and be paranoid about 2FA

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

My kid plays a ton of old games despite the fact I keep urging him to play newer stuff. He had turned off the new ratchet and clank the other day to play Shinobi of all things.

He does absolutely school me in Smash though.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I want to play wind waker again but I am not buying a Wii U.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Isaac does a good job of conveying the disgusting and repulsive feeling that comes with years of abuse as a child. I’m assuming if you are repulsed, the graphics are doing their job.

Was the developer abused? I was, and after playing it for a few hours, I just assumed he was too.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I believe so. He's mentioned before how he grew up in an extremely strict Catholic (?) house and BOI was something like therapy for him.

He now collects crucifixes as a macabre homage to the absurdity of religion.

Ahh, that makes sense considering the amount of religious imagery.

To blow off BOI because of its aesthetics is to disregard one of the grimmest narratives in gaming. I'm glad making it was cathartic for him.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not writing it off. I'm just very grossed out by the aesthetic on a visceral level.

The themes of child abuse don't win any points with me either. I'm glad the creator found a good outlet, but that doesn't mean I have to play it!

No one said you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I only played a bit of the demo but what the gently caress is Hypnospace Outlaw all about?

:stare:

poo poo looks amazing. It's $15 on steam right now if that's your thing. I may have to check it out because I remember early 90's internet.