Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
If Spyro Switch retains enough of the original release's visuals to preserve its aesthetic in handheld and the framerate doesn't tank to poo poo then I'm beyond down because Reignited is seriously one of the most gorgeously animated games I've ever seen and the artstyle loving nails that 'how you remember it looking as a kid' sweet spot you hope any remake captures.

Have there been any good tech analyses yet or just general details on resolution and junk? Also do we know if this is the patched version from other consoles, like with subtitles and motion blur slider and that kind of thing?

Also what's Spyro? Please submit these answers to me in a form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Violen posted:

If Spyro Switch retains enough of the original release's visuals to preserve its aesthetic in handheld and the framerate doesn't tank to poo poo then I'm beyond down because Reignited is seriously one of the most gorgeously animated games I've ever seen and the artstyle loving nails that 'how you remember it looking as a kid' sweet spot you hope any remake captures.

Have there been any good tech analyses yet or just general details on resolution and junk? Also do we know if this is the patched version from other consoles, like with subtitles and motion blur slider and that kind of thing?

Also what's Spyro? Please submit these answers to me in a form.

If anyone else was wondering about this I found this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abRZiPcQ59c

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Fallom posted:

"Rock solid 30 FPS in handheld" is all I needed to hear

Turns out it can be done!

You can see a lot of the pretty invisible concessions they've made to preserve that without turning it into Witcher 3 Switch, it's really well-handled. Like in the side-by-side the 3-dimensional grass blade bunches are cut down on the handheld version. In Sunny Villa from Spyro 3 later in the video the water has less dynamic splash effects kicking up from the grates and falls. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff, those are just the two examples I noticed by going out of my way to specifically look for such a thing. You can make similar comparisons between docked and the PS4 version and it's similarly elegant in its downgrades. Meanwhile they've managed to keep on all the show-stealer effects that you really need to nail to keep the aesthetic singing like the lighting. The heavily stylized look obviously helps a lot on low resolutions providing less of a noticeable visual hit, but regardless it's a really solid job and the game's sporting plenty of stuff you don't expect to see maintained on a port to the system. I'm excited to get it as soon as there's a decent break in the current 'all the video games ever at once' schedule the industry's working with.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/d0nnykong/statu...756992254464000

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Looking at the results in motion it's definitely the best choice they could've arrived at to avoid massive sacrifices to a game that has no real business running on Switch intact, especially because it's another technique the cartoonishness of the visuals work more politely with than most would.

Violen fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2019

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
My audio rule is any first-pass at content I'm playing that poo poo with headphones, any second-pass grinding the story doesn't change but the headphones are plugged into something blasting the Anarchy Reigns soundtrack or something, I don't know. This is known as the 'Monster Hunter World' corollary.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Elman posted:

Rayman Origins? Yeah, I agree completely. Most people seem to prefer Legends but Origins had a better progression and it was a more complete experience. The last, secret level was also incredibly good.

I know I'm weird or at least anecdotally feel that in having never even encountered much if any distinction between the two along this front online, but on top of what you said, I also prefer the art style in Origins massively over Legends. Legends is still a gorgeous accomplishment on a technical level, but the cleaner cartoon aesthetic of the original gels with me a lot more than the brushstroke hybrid of the second which reminds me more of something like Guacamelee.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://i.imgur.com/zeIgRc1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/1W3zH8Z.mp4

I'm worried about what this game has revealed about me.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
what if there were a video game that didn't age

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
imo, i like games that i like and don't like games that i don't like

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
me, vibrating intensely trying and failing to not type out a really stupid post based on them deciding to call the expansion to the game with meowser 'bowser's fury'

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Waltzing Along posted:

We get 90% of what the leakers said.

Goons: not happy, it's not exactly what I wanted! gently caress Nintendo.

Anyway...

I installed MKTour so I can get those pins. I did the intro race, will I have to do more stuff to do the thing next week or am I good now?

imo it's ok to say dumb things about stuff are dumb

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I want clay kirby and I won't be hearing any arguments about practicality or worth

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
can't people just post takes without being loving weird about it LMAO

it can't be that hard to just not like a video game, in fact I'm doing it right now

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
much like all good-feel games the new yoshis are incredibly charming until you're a busted jackass who has to 100% everything and then they're the most deranged things ever made

as with enya croc i'd highly recommend at least listening to woolly world's soundtrack because it's really special

and then maybe you can skip around a longplay of crafted world muted and go 'oh that's cute' and then move on

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

but acab and corona is a virus

poor form

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i think dkc3 owns, i don't think i really agree with any of the above points except its biggest and most universal black eye which is going too far with gimmicks that counterweigh the platforming flow instead of enhance it

there's two level settings that are focused around lakes/rivers, the docks and the enchanted riverbanks, but theyre gorgeous. i know the entire map system world-to-world and the high level connective hub are all centered around water but tbh dkc3's level select is one of my favorites ever. i love the northwest wilderness vibe the game has going on and the freeform movement, plus there being a bunch of secrets and to-dos in the overworld in general was the coolest poo poo as a kid even if it's paper-thin gameplay-wise looking back lol

the general mood's really cool to me too. dkc1 with its naturalistic vibe and dkc2 just being a traditional epic are classic but i really appreciate the way 3 starts so sunny and then gradually gets more threatening as the game progresses even if its cohesion suffers more than the first two. the biggest casualty aesthetically and tonally is really the ugly early-90s cgi bad claymation kremling overhauls and enemy design in general. i feel like the models and the artstyle used for them in 3 are what people meme about the whole trilogy looking like even though 2's roster is aces visually. that and dinky kong being the worst thing ever made by humans.

i especially don't agree about the music being bad as a gestalt, more that eveline fischer has a very particular atmosphere she excels at, which is dark ambience, and asking her to carry a whole soundtrack, especially one that's supposed to move from cheerful to ominous and threatening, made the whole thing feel whiplash-y and uneven. it gets better as it enters the backhalf. the water theme can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with any of the stuff from 1 or 2 imo (and besides that, fischer was responsible for some of the best dkc1 material anyway, like the snow theme).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4wc7ZbIJs

a big thing with the audiovisuals in dkc3 to me regardless of your take on the style is it's one of the most impressive packages on the system technically. like the clarity in the soundfont is completely unreal, and effects like the background in the dock levels are impressive as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woJfv5sUwuU

seriously, listen to the acuity in the percussion here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApfPda9hX8

the insane polish in dkc3 goes a long way in justifying its place in the trilogy imo, pound for pound i find a lot of dkc1's rougher patches in its secret design and some of the level design harder to put up with than 3's polish chasing a lot of conceptually asinine poo poo like rat quotas and rocket barrels or w/e, even if still think dkc1 is the better game especially if you treat it like a straight platformer and ignore all the bonus rooms like you absolutely should

also this is ridiculously specific but i appreciate them bringing back the soft undercurrent of environmental degradation like you got with world 5 in dkc1 (which btw that should've been the last world of that game, not caves and mines, that's another stupid little thing that bugs probably only me about 1). the saw level or the fact zingers have gone extinct and been replaced with mechanical drones after you offed the king and queen in the last two games. it's just a neat vibe, it's another reason one of my favorite stages in tropical freeze is the forest fire in the savanna world.

sorry someone said 'monkey games' and activated me

Violen fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 16, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
oh yeah speaking of dkc3, has anyone ever listened to some of the gba port materials

they couldn't comfortably replicate the original tracks on the soundchip so david wise just composed an entire new ost because he's a loving lunatic

a lot of it is pretty ill-fitting which is a detriment over the original, but in a vacuum they've got that tim follin mad genius appeal of effortlessly and needlessly composing a 3 and a half minute complex banger that straight tortures the hardware for a board game tie-in shovelware title screen, or in this case a 20-second platforming level thats supposed to feel like a cartoon trip to a campground but instead this badass nonsense is playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9euh1np1M

that's something i find really funny/good about dkc1's music too is a lot of it is ridiculously long for the 10% of it you'll actually hear before you beat a level

go ahead and wait for this to loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt-b0gBesYY

Violen fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 16, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
donkey kong

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i appreciate you all, fellow monkey friends

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i definitely get it with dkc3, believe me lol, i'm lucky that the overarching setting of the entire overworld is really up my alley. vulture culture and similar are my favorite setting in dkc1, for example

to the goon who was going off about land 1's ost, i agree completely. of all the bizarrely numerous ports and pseudo-ports of dkc games to handheld consoles, i find land 1 the most interesting because they basically had to invent half a game, including the chiptune bops, because the idea of dkc1 on a game boy is a disaster. a lot of land 1 is still a disaster, like the city setting, but you know. the rest are varying levels of competent but are all also really boring. which man, how are there three separate attempts at porting dkc1 to handheld. guys please.

on that note i'd say to whoever was like 'man i should check out dkc3 gba', just listen to the soundtrack on youtube LMAO. unless you want an evening with lanky but not like, in an appealing way

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i'm so sorry everyone

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
since we're back on monkey music i wanna bring up this channel who's got some of the coolest vgm covers ever imo, but this one in particular stands out a lot bc of the way he handles the percussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0No1WPXWEis

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
man i am not looking forward to my brain going 'what if galaxy but twice' like i know it's going to as soon as i unlock my main man luigi

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
are blue coins the most hosed up collectible in a video game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
in this moment as i collect them i must choose to believe they are

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i would collect 900 suspicious acorns or rescue 128 hapless robots across two theoretical video games if it meant saving a single child from trying to do blue coins guideless

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
(please note that i am not doing blue coins guideless and you don't need to check in on me. it's ok everyone)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it's ok i'm right there with you. the truth is i love doing dumb unnecessary poo poo in bad video games and i will keep doing it until the day i die

especially bad video games as good as mario sunshine

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
HAL's decision to turn kirby into final fantasy by releasing spinoffs of spinoffs of throwaway bonus modes and sequels to all of the above is really funny to me so i hope they keep doing it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

DorianGravy posted:

I finally made it to Tick Tock Clock (great level, btw), and one of the stars is called "The Pit and the Pendulums" which is, uh, an odd reference. "The Pit and the Pendulum" is a story by Edgar Allan Poe about a man being tortured by the Spanish Inquisition. I haven't read it, but the synopsis makes it sound like something out of Saw. So, um, strange choice of reference.

whatever you do, don't look into the manta ray in sunshine

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
yeah but i specifically mean the recent trend of taking extra modes from the mainline platformers and turning them into their own standalone releases and sequelizing those releases, which is much funnier to me than kirby being a recognition stamp for random concepts, because that brand of kirby spinoff owns

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
can't wait to find out kirby is recursive and has lasted through thousands of universes right after punching sword kirby in the face with fighter kirby

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yo what the gently caress is the music in this game

i call it 'good', which is my favorite genre of music

hey pal at least you had the privilege of dying

https://i.imgur.com/3zAIINs.mp4

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i was getting sick of enjoying myself so i took a break from smg to go get the platinum relic in stormy ascent instead

i'm finally home

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Coxswain Balls posted:

Imagine looking at a dead end like that and going "welp, nothing here". I wonder if there's a specific age where one's curiosity and drive to explore and experiment just dies. Although I played all the DKC games as a kid before I got an N64 so that made me suspicious of anything like that. Still, it's funny to watch grown-rear end men getting repeatedly owned by a game that children are able to 100% and I hope people post more videos of their follies.

hot drat you're cool lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
love the mario, can take or leave the sunshine

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it's gonna be me

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Oxyclean posted:

It makes pretty much anyone who isn't a fire emblem fan or just generally indifferent mad.

we got a cute animation out of it at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vZ1v9IsSw

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Nail Rat posted:

I feel like even people who like Fire Emblem can't possibly know who all these FE characters are, given how long FE games are. Unless they just don't play any other games

i had to sit there for a solid minute trying to wrack my brain for the name byleth to come to me so i could look up a stupid old youtube video

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i'm the opposite where instead of not playing other games i play all other games except fire emblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that sounds like an attempt at an own but the real secret is there's too many video games