Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm going to buy a Switch in the next month.

I'm hoping to primarily buy digital games. Do you guys mainly buy directly from the eshop or do you buy gift credit/games from retailers? I know you can get gold coins to use as a discount now but I was wondering if it might be better to buy credit off of Amazon if I have an Amazon rewards card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Haunted Castle is the one where a basic skeleton can body you and you only get 3 lives and NO CONTINUES iirc, kinda glad I didn't play it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

okay i finally pulled the trigger. I ordered Breath of the Wild (with an explorer's guide?), a Pro controller and the neon console with the eshop credit.

I think I'm gonna use the eshop credit on Mario Kart at some point and will probably make my way through SMO, Rabbids, and the rest eventually. Excited to join you guys!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I have 0 interest in classicvanias but if they add GBA or even weird 3D ones I might be curious

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

So if I never played OG Turok how accessible is the remaster? I love N64 graphics I’m just wondering if there are quicksaves and stuff.

Blaster Master 0 2 sounds cool, should I play 0 first?

Smirking_Serpent fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 21, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

how are the RDS cases? they're licensed and there are some cool designs.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

just impulse bought Mario Rabbids off the ubisoft store. It's $35 (with shipping) if anyone else needs it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

ah gently caress oh well

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in the original Xbox and 360 era, Microsoft did make an effort to try to appeal to Japanese audiences. They had a bunch of exclusive Sega games like Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta. The 360 had some big JRPGs. It didn't work but it was a nice effort at least.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I got my Switch! I'm like the millionth person to say this but holy poo poo these joycons are small.

I played a bit of BOTW and then downloaded Mario Kart and some demos. gently caress it's hard not to go crazy on the eshop. Thanks to the goon who told me about Raise, that looks really useful.

I feel like I could be playing Zelda forever, this world seems massive.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

anyone got any recommendations for old game ports on the eshop? I'm gonna get the Capcom beat'em up but anything else in that vein is cool too. I don't have a lot of nostalgia so just stuff that holds up well.

Also chill indies that I can play whenever are good too, stuff without a big time commitment.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Really late to the party but when I turn on Breath of the Wild, 3 hours just loving vanish. This thing is crazy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How is the single player in Mario Tennis?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a cute little diversion but not something to buy the game over. It’s not an RPG like the Game Boy ones. Buy it for the multi.

Aw man, good to know. Thanks

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Give us Deracine 2 on LaboVR, you cowards

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

amiibo are at a really awkward place where if they put too much stuff behind them, people rightfully complain that they're making limited-time, artificially scarce DLC. But if they put too little, people rightfully complain that they're paying extra for a dumb bonus that should have been in the game in the beginning.

I think the only games that got it right were Smash, creating and training a unique AI fighter you could take with you is really cool. But everything else – especially the one time scan like Metroid and Zelda – is really lame.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don't know if I'll play NES games for more than like 10 minutes but drat if I don't want those special NES controllers.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Trasson posted:

My roommate is looking into getting a Switch of his own so he doesn't have to be miserable when I take our Smash Bros. machine out of town.

Are there any cool deals/bundles I'm overlooking out there or is it just "hey, go get a switch"

i think the $35 eshop bundle is the best because you're getting free cash and you can spend it on whatever. It might be out of stock at most places but I read some headline that some smaller retailers had them so it's worth searching.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

how is the Breath of the Wild DLC?

I'm not really interested in the hard mode stuff but I like the idea of additional story content. Is it a post-game kind of deal or something that integrates with a normal playthrough?

I'm not really that far in the game, just exploring to find shrines and towers right now. This might be one of the best games I've ever played.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Just found the last tower in BOTW. I have 30-something shrines done and I can't even believe there are 90 more to find. I feel like I'm going to be playing this game until the next one comes out.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm so impressed with the Pro Controller, I can use it for days without charging, and even when I got the low battery warning I still had a good hour before it was completely drained.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I hope they port Skyward Sword, that and Zelda 2 are the only mainline games I haven't played.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hellblade dragged for me way longer than GOW ever did even if it’s a fourth of the length.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Playing Breath of the Wild and I glide over to a a random island and it turns into an OSP sneaking mission?!?! This loving game!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Oracle games are good as hell on 3DS/emulators because you can use save states to cheat the dancing minigames :getin:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wii also had Sin and Punishment 2 which I never played but lots of people liked. Skyward Sword, WarioWare, and a bunch of weird spinoffs to series like Castlevania, Soul Calibur, and Resident Evil.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

how is horizon chase turbo?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

Uhh the complete US SNES library is only 700 games.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Idk how much you’ve played it already but Outrun is super chill and a perfect side dish for big games

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i was mildly skeptical of BOTW, but I just started playing it last month and it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played.

Obviously no game is for everyone. I love Bloodborne but I wouldn't recommend it to all PS4 owners. But Nintendo crafted Breath of the Wild with such care, skill, and detail that I would feel irresponsible not recommending it to everyone with a Switch.

It's not perfect and there's plenty to quibble with. I get why weapon degradation bothers people. But the whole of the experience, the sum of the parts, is just so good. It's so good.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I really should pick this up sometime.

it's funny because on paper, there's nothing crazy innovative about what the game does. Obviously, Nintendo didn't invent an open world map, location-revealing-towers, foraging for food to make buffs, giving characters voice acting, weapons breaking, gliding transportation, etc. To be fair, I'm not sure if the climbing system has a precedent, but almost everything else has been done before.

But, none of it has been done better. It's all distilled perfectly and the systems integrate so well that it's such a joy to play. I can turn on that game and sit there for like 7 hours because it just sucks me in.

I'm only halfway through and I had to force myself to take out the cartridge so I could give Mario Rabbids a try and I just want to go do some shrines instead.

gently caress the yiga clan hideout though.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

If I get BotW I'll probably just beeline the master sword so I don't have to care tbh. I played an hour or two before, idk, I enjoyed it but there's just something about how fast everything breaks that makes me think it's all absolutely worthless, even knowing it's supposed to tie in to using other means of dispatching enemies. I always liked the 2d zelda more too tbh

Mario Odyssey is probably a grab too though yeah

No spoilers but unlike nearly everything else, you can not beeline the master sword.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

Climbing mountains is way more fun than killing stuff

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think if you bring the AC adapter and the airline has full outlets for you to use you can do that.

I don't think the switch can charge off a USB port if that's what you're asking.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

oh seriously? that's dope as hell

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

man, I would pay so much for a Mario: Kingdom Battle game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so I've had my Switch for around 3 weeks.

Generally I've been playing with the Pro controller, which is excellent. But when that's charging, I'm using my default neon joycons.

Using them before I thought they were kinda stiff, but whatever. But today when I was playing Zelda, I noticed at least a few dropped inputs, a bit of drift once in a while, right stick not responding occasionally, etc.

I know some people have issues with joycons but I wanted to know if this sounds normal or if I should look into sending them back to Nintendo. How long does the process take? Do I have to pay for shipping? Do I send both left and right or just the right one?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mario Rabbids is cool, but it sucks that you can only have 3 team members, 1 has to be Mario, 1 has to be a rabbid. They should give me at least 4 slots to play with.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Tsyni posted:

So walmart.ca has switch deals for console plus either mario + rabbids or Diablo 3. I haven't played D3 before, but I love strategy games, so which should I choose?

For what it’s worth, you can get Mario Rabbids pretty cheap these days. I got it for $30 off Ubisoft’s store, and I think it is the same for US Amazon. D3 seems like it would be a better deal price wise.

Personally I’m a little disappointed with MR. I wish you could use more than 3 units at a time. I know hating Rabbids is low-hanging fruit but I wish we just got a Mario tactics game instead. Give me Waluigi with a shotgun instead of these loving minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i think they're too deeply ashamed of the virtual boy – and worried about melting unsuspecting kids eyes – that they would never ever rerelease anything from that system.

same thing with mario party 1. The controversy about the stick-waggling means it never got a VC release, only MP2.