Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sudden Javelin posted:

I could beat the poo poo out of me as a child, it wouldn't even be close

Me as a child vs me as an adult would probably result in the child beating my rear end.

Though I can understand what I want and how to get there.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's so cool. Definitely trading in 3D All Stars for this once I finish it.

Speaking of which, I've been at this Yoshi's Fruit Adventure lvl 8 of Ricco Harbor for another 40 minutes. I will beat it, but my goodness does it control like poo poo and feeding Yoshi the damned durian is its own level of hell. I really want to like this game, and generally I would say I do, but then you get some nonsense like this and it doesn't make any sense.

Also why does the final boss in Hades have a revive?! I was 100% unprepared and while it's cool it's the first time I got that far, I am genuinely at a loss on what to do there. The boss becomes so much more difficult!

The final boss has your abilities. That's the why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What's the cheapest way to charge a joycon if you don't have a Switch that can do it?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks! I've got batteries and... the bigger battery variant (power cell?) built, I just need some weird orange coral to finish off my computer chip/processor, and then I think I can start building real structures. And I scan everything I can, for sure.

Also, I'm betting that (likely early game spoilers) the rescue that's coming in 40 real-time minutes ISN'T actually going to be successful, otherwise, there's no game, right?

That depends on how fast you are. The speedrun can do it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I am not a speedrunner, and just got there.

:stare:

There's a few ways those things can go, that's the default one.

It's also the fun one.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ho.

Lee.

poo poo.

I just built my first base in Subnautica and I love it. It's only 3 tubes, but one of them is glass, and looking out into the ocean at night is so goddamned :allears: I can't believe it.

This feeling of discovery and accomplishment is something I haven't felt in a game since the very early days of Minecraft, which for me is a little over 10 years ago now.

Oh, I also got eaten by a Reaper Leviathan :shrug:

This game is wonderful.

Top tip: You want small bases with a fabricator, some food, plant pot, solar panel, and a beacon outside them scattered around the map. They can be up to 200 meters deep.

The best main base location is at one of the edges of the red grass, the kelp forest, and a third biome, I think it's the one aligned with the rear end of the Aurora? Least backtracking.

I could tell you why but that would be spoilers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also you can go any which way in your play style. The minibases are just for minimizing backtracking (and improving your odds of surviving fuckups), and there's a specific location (just above the Lost River teleporter cache) where a main base is much easier to access. Once the main game is over, it's basically creative mode. You don't need more than one base, and if you beeline for the ending knowing where it is, the game is over pretty fast.

It is glitchy as hell sometimes though, I played it on a beefy gaming PC and wouldn't really try it on a Switch as a result.

Mister Facetious posted:

Your character is also almost completely non-combative. I think you can build a taser later? But there's no guns.

(unless they changed it since I last played)

Nah, this was never true, you just have to know how to use the tools at your disposal and you can just murder even the biggest beasts. It's never necessary, though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I've heard that, at least before, Subnautica would run worse the better your system was, on PC. On the Switch, I've noticed some pop in, but whatever, I don't care. I've seen far worse in less compelling games.

Also, it is famously non-violent (at least not with guns). This approach was actually inspired by the Sandy Hook shooting; the devs thought "let's make a game that doesn't involve shooting anyone or anything with guns."

Both the knife and the grappling hook work great for killing anything in the game.

No guns, though.

... not that there's a point to killing things. Other than doing it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mister Facetious posted:

You're making me want to reinstall my Steam copy.

Let me know if you try the winter one, I haven't read up on it at all.

Not as good, the setpieces are significantly less interesting, and the game suffers from way too long designed sequences.

Alas.

nachos posted:

Subnautica sure is overwhelming. There are so many things to do and I want to do them all. Is there any gameplay benefit to scanning fish or am I just filling up my codex?

Yes if you don't use the wiki; no otherwise. Scanning the fish can give you information you wouldn't otherwise have.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I really do love reading everything in my in-game encyclopedia. I wish it was all narrated like the codex in Mass Effect, but it's still great as it is. I also kinda love being afraid of certain creatures but still trying to get their scan in, and then rushing back to safety to learn whether or not my caution was warranted.

Also, last night, I witnessed some sort of electrical or fantastical huge beast seemingly teleport out of existence (not as a bug, there was a whole animation for it, so it was on purpose).

:stare:

If we could have and name crew, I'd have my own Quinn, Stormy, Debbie, etc. But I appreciate my alone time.

This game is like non-violent Metroid Prime, featuring water.

DO THE WARP.

Mild spoilers:

Those are warpers, they're a robot, and they're dangerous. You gain the ability to teleport before the main story is over. Once you do, they stop being a problem.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Definitely don't skip the first one.

In fact, buy the first one, and then the second one on sale if you still want more once a sale rolls along.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Frankston posted:

Speaking of the 8bitdo pro+, how big is it compared to the pro controller? My 6 year old likes to use the joycons controller grip because she finds the pro controller too big, but the joycons are drifting badly now which is frustrating her.

I have big hands and the SN30 Pro+ is... a little too large?

I certainly wouldn't buy it for a 6 year old. I'd try one of those mini cabled pads Hori makes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Frankston posted:

Hmm too bad. Those hori mini pads look good, just wish there was a wireless version.

Pretty mediocre, cheap, small. Perfect for kids if you can tolerate the cable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Read After Burning posted:

Excuse me, haven't you heard the news? He died back in March. :colbert:

He had been telling us he was a-tired, for a long time, and we didn't listen, just made him jump through more hoops and bricks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why is there a bunch of posts, did something happen

I refuse to use google

Someone posted bad, but on Twitter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mister Facetious posted:

Actually, Ubisoft games aren't that useful either.

Well that joke is predictable and boring.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Silver Falcon posted:

I had to order a replacement for my 8bitdo. I had one of the ones that looks like a SNES controller, without the grips. Had it for at least a few years. I got a SN30Pro+, with the grips.

The old SNES controller one just stopped responding the other day. It was just dead. Tried plugging it in to multiple USB ports, a USB wall adapter, multiple cables, etc. No response at all. I mostly just kept it plugged into USB with my computer, because my computer doesn't do Bluetooth and needs the wire connected.

Will I somehow gently caress up the new one if I keep it plugged in all the time? I'm wary cuz these things aren't cheap and I don't know exactly what went wrong with the old one.

As someone else said, that might kill the battery, causing a safety trip.

Not super hard to repair if you know what you're doing but annoying anyway. Keep it unplugged when not in use.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Aware posted:

I've never done anything cool on my switch which is the coolest thing of all :colbert:

I've just played a bunch of Katamari Damacy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mister Facetious posted:

"Waaahpon Degradatiaaahn!" :cry:

Oh loving hell now having a degraded weapon at the end of the level counts against my 100% completion? What is this elf bullshit???

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AlphaKeny1 posted:

me, frantically reading 500 posts in the nintendo switch thread, growing more and more worried: nintendo is doomed!!

me, not reading any of these goddamn posts after the page with the first mention of the oled switch: is anyone saying anything that adds anything meaningful? nintendoposting is doomed!!!

Hey Mega64 can we ban completely baseless speculation and dunking on speculation alike? The thread gets a bit much to keep up with all that, and it adds little.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well I suppose it's good someone found a way to entertain themselves with the Stadia.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Johnny Joestar posted:

they loved weapon durability so much they added it to the sticks on the switch itself

The tag this thread should have.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

romanowski posted:

that's right brother :cheersdoge:

And then you remember Triforce Heroes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I just keep staring at my consoles and and not really playing anything even if I'm super bored. Maybe a level of Katamari here and there. I've got Eevee and Shield out of the Pokemon games and I've barely started either. What games should I buy next, knowing I won't really get any further than the first few minutes at best?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

if you haven't tried therapy, try that. If you haven't tried drugs, try that. If you've tried both, I recommend poo poo posting. If you haven't done either well give em both a red hot whirl.

All of those sound like a lot of effort. Especially the shitposting.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

zachol posted:

This. Going through all the new games on Deku Deals and hiding all the trashware is so much fun!
Sometimes I stare at a game and put it on my wishlist with a lower price.

How does it interact with the EU region?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know if a switch controller thumbstick really qualifies for a flared base or not so i'm not sure if i fully condone this

Keep the wrist strap secured around your wrist.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not running Windows 98.

The Switch has enough power to emulate a Windows 98 PC and I don't know how you'd get a genuine Quake experience without doing so.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

That loving Sned posted:

I think some GBA games like the Pokemon series also use flash memory for save games instead of SRAM so you shouldn't need to replace any batteries in them.

Pokémon GBA games use a battery for the clock.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MechaSeinfeld posted:

interesting. why did you decide to play bass?

Learning to count to six is hard when you never have more than one hand free.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Nintendo keeping all the good Bluetooth codecs and themes and overclocking in hidden folders in their underground bunker that not even your uncle has seen

My uncle is in that underground bunker.

He got caught leaking Switch Pro specs.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

repiv posted:

post real leaks in the clear and fake leaks in spoiler tags to keep people guessing

They're releasing a new Switch with DLSS.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I vaguely remember having a little black square that was an adaptor specifically so you can charge it AND use headphones at the same time.

I'm pretty sure my Game Boy drawer still has one of those.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Twelve by Pies posted:

Do not try to 100% FFX, the butterflies, the chocobo race, and dodging lightning bolts will make you hate it.

It's been almost 20 years and I still go "man, gently caress that bullshit" about the lightning bolts.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh you can just suck at it and get through it fine, it's nbd.

But you need to dodge 200 in a row to get the 100% item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I know what you're all thinking.

Please, PLEASE use the wrist strap with your Wiimote.