Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I got Super Mario Party specifically for the green/yellow joy cons bundled with it, but it’s a great game to have around. My fiancé doesn’t really like games at all outside of the Sims but she always wants to play that, it’s not surprising that it’s sold well

drat, this just makes me want Sims on Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

strap the leg con to your arm so you can make the motion of throwing the shells

But then how do you use the gas pedal?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Buying Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD was a massive mistake. I did it out of nostalgia for the Gamecube games, I did not expect this would be the exact opposite of everything that made those games good.

This was a big surprise to me too. I don't remember much about the original Banana Blitz though so I don't know how much is in that one compared to the remake.

Ten minigames, only they aren't particularly good. One of them is Monkey Target, but it's somehow not as fun as the original Monkey Target. The rules have changed in such a way that it's harder and less fun.

Story mode has no multiplayer, so you'll be sharing lives as you go through the levels. The jump mechanic is whatever, but it doesn't feel as sharp as the older versions. Also, there are bosses, which is not fun (at least to me).

I guess some people will get this and know what they're getting into. But if you were hoping for a classic Monkey Ball experience that you can play with friends, this ain't it.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Translate 1 and 3, then put them all into one collection. I would pay a lot of money for this.

Edit: Rocket Slime

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actually, since nobody's really mentioned any differences, have there been any meaningful changes to Animal Crossing since the gamecube version aside from streetpass?

Obviously the basic structure is the same but in New Leaf (3DS), where you became the mayor, you have significant control over the layout of your town. You can install bridges, buildings, and can place your house anywhere, for example. You can also set policies so that stores open earlier, later, weeds grow less often, etc.

I think the new one lets you set yourself as living in the southern hemisphere so the seasons finally line up.

Edit: the city one was City Folk on the Wii.

Also in New Leaf you can visit towns when people are offline, and can also pick random towns to go to.

BONESAWWWWWW fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 7, 2020

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Coming hot off of Trine co-op with a friend, both online and in person. We have beaten all of them together.

Are there any other really good co-op games? They don't necessarily have to be Trine-like. Ideally online, couch co-op would be a bonus but not necessary.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

No. 6 posted:

I'm going to keep plugging Killer Queen Black.

It's a perfect coop couch game, or solo online game. It's one of the few games I'll fire up every day.

This is a great one, you're right. I am looking for more adventure-like games but this may work for a change of pace.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I think Monkey Ball was basically perfected by the time 2 came out, so anything you could add from there is guaranteed to fail. Jumping, enemies, boss battles, motion controls, Wii Balance Board...

Not a knock against any of those things. But the decision to put them in Monkey Ball was... interesting.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Speedrunning smoking is similar to speedrunning life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyUcXR05Z4

Mainly I wanted an excuse to post this.

Username/content combo...?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

This is troubling. Hopefully it's nothing like Pocket Camp...

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I purchased a knock-off Pro controller on AliEx for $20. I personally can't tell the difference between it and a legitimate one except the aforementioned inability to turn the console on and missing Amiibo support.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Some of my joycons are good, some are bad. I was able to fix the bad ones (haven't drifted yet, but it could just be a matter of time) by buying a $10 stick replacement pack and spending ten minutes with a screwdriver. If anyone is reluctant to deal with Support it was dead simple.

Also gave me an excuse to replace the shells of my controllers so they're both Atomic Purple now :cool:

Also, if you have a launch joycon that loses connection, it was trivial to solder on a loooong antenna wire. Obviously your warranty will suffer but I'm pretty sure the range of my joycons are much longer than advertised now.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

hatty posted:

The Wii U pro controller has the best stick placement of any controller. Any argument against this is wrong

Not to resurrect controller supremely chat but once I realized the Wii U Pro controller was a SNES controller on the lower half my mind changed. It ruled.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Business posted:

I heard the mario party game isn't that good BUT would love a chill, easy to pick up 4 player type game. Anything other than Mario Kart that comes to mind?

Snipperclips and Jackbox are good for this.

If 3 players is okay, the Trine collection is crazy. You can skip Trine 3 but for chill puzzle solving it's fantastic.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Super Mario Party Maker

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I bought a $20 clone off AliExpress a few months back. It can't do NFC or wake the console but otherwise is indistinguishable from the real deal. No drift yet.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I bought a set of replacement joysticks some time ago and the repair took... A half hour for two? And I've had no problems since.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I guess I should know by now, but how does Xenoblade Chronicles 2 compare to the first one? I loved, or grew to love, almost everything about the first. The accents, the insane tutorials for systems I never understood, the huge world, the lore, and that giant level 80 gorillas are in the same location as tiny level 1 bunnies. I also loved that gaining even one level meant you were significantly stronger, so it mattered more.

I played through the entirety of XCX but was largely disappointed. Slow, empty world. MMO systems but without any other people. Plot that I didn't care about. Silent protagonist. I did like the giant robots but not enough to excuse the rest.

I know XC2 is extremely anime, but how much does it bleed into everything else?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

It's a shame you didn't get to the end of XC1. I don't know if it's deemed "bad" by the general public but that was where the game REALLY got my attention. I really liked the ending 10 or so hours. It kind of turned everything on its head and I'm hoping XC2 retained some of that. I'm worried when you said the antagonists are never really redeemed, I thought that was great about XC1.

e: Is the combat similar to the first one? Even to XCX?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

Trine ultimate is on sale for $15. Is that a good price? Is Trine good? Its a puzzle platformer right?

Edit: by good price I should say good value. Understanding that there is a switch tax.

1, 2, and 4 are very, very good (and pretty). More fun with a friend, but still good without.

3 is a bit troublesome. I went in with an open mind and good intentions but... It was not good. I have not heard anyone every claim it was good, either. But buy the bundle for the rest and judge for yourself. The other games are worth it for sure.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

The original does that too, I'm pretty sure. So at least it's nothing new :shrug:

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Can the 8bitDo SN30 Pro Plus wake the switch from sleep like the official controllers can?

This is very important for maximum laziness

AFAIK no 3rd party controllers can do that for whatever reason. I'd love to be wrong though.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

One thing that originally attracted me to MH is that it made me feel like it took the "Hunter" part of it's name serious enough. The creatures are there, existing, and you come in with tools to track and hunt down specific ones in their environment. Some creatures flee, some call for backup, etc.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Geo Fixer posted:

Given that the N64 turns 25 this what would be the odds that Nintendo releases an Atomic purple Switch/Joycons?

I would peg it at super, super low. At least for the Switch. The internals are not really... Pretty. The inside of the back is a huge metal sheet, so you can't even see anything substantial.

For what it's worth I did buy Atomic Purple cases for my switch/joycons because I wanted this so badly. The joycons look great, and you can edit their memory from your PC so the switch identifies them as purple. As indicated above a translucent switch case is nearly useless though.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Geo Fixer posted:

I'm looking into purchasing these atomic purple joycon shells https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Repl..._ci_mcx_mr_hp_d . Has anyone tried these? I know some goons have modded their joycons and was looking for some recommendations as this will be my first time.

These are the ones I got over a year ago. No complaints. They look awesome and feel good. It's a little annoying having the button names indented instead of painted on but I've heard painted buttons tend to wipe off over time so there's no perfect solution to my knowledge.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I used to play a very primitive roguelike called POWDER on a DS flashcart

I have spent so, so many hours playing POWDER. Absolute gem.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How are Turnip Boy and Everhood?

I tried Bug Fables last week and totally fell in love with it thanks to someone bringing it up here

Turnip Boy was alright. I played through the whole thing last week. It's cute enough but the gameplay was so-so. Lots of backtracking. imho not worth full price.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

repiv posted:

I think Sony does that too for DVD/Bluray playback

Nintendo could do something similar with the Bluetooth codecs of course, phoning home the first time to get a license, but they won't lol

I think they already do with exFAT formatted SD cards (or is it just for SDXC cards?). The first time you plug on into your switch it will prompt a system update just to grab the licensed code.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Wonderful 99

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Imagined posted:

God drat you guys are like when I visit my grandma and try to get her to stop watching the 480p 4:3 channel stretched out to 16:9 on her 60" 4K TV. "It looks fine I can't even see what you're talking about!" Your low standards / poor eyesight / lack of anything to compare it to are not arguments.

Lmao jesus
"Grandma! You are not enjoying TV optimally!"

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Waffle! posted:

I've been playing Sludge Life on Steam and it's pretty cool. It's a chill vibe of a 3D exploration game where you look around for graffiti spots to tag. You can smoke cigs off the highest buildings, trip balls on mushrooms, and find extra gadgets to help you explore further. I like how it uses a Mirror's Edge type system where bright colors highlight pathways and things you can interact with. There's no permadeath, and barely anything that will hurt you. It's goofy and fun.

That reminds me of Jazzpunk, which was awesome. I'll check this one out.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok gently caress it I’ll ask the question:-

Is Xenoblade chronicles one of those ‘unforgettable must not miss games’? Because it’s been on the back of my mind for like a decade but I keep getting mixed messages that it’s either fantastic or completely overrated and overall a middling story. But it just never seems to fade away from the gaming consciousness so is there something worth exploring in it now that it’s on sale or is it just a very typical JRPG with some slick UI gimmicks?

Obviously heavily opinion based but I think so. At least of all the JRPGs I've played.

One thing to note though is it is really a 14 year old game. I think it was part of a large community rally (back then) to even get a western release (Project Rainfall or something?). Then I remember seeing copies for $100+, probably adding some rarity and mystique.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So after deciding that I wasn't ready to invest myself for a long time in Deadly Premonition I decided to pick up Catherine: Full Body because I like block puzzles. Now I know there's actually a plot and all, and I'm ready to get involved, but anything worth knowing prior? I imagine it has multiple endings, does end up just getting repetitive with the same puzzles or do they at least change depending on the route?

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Catherine

I'm not posting that to be snarky, but if you were unaware this is the goon-run site for questions like that.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Weedle posted:

this seems like a great time to finance an upgrade by flipping my hackable 2017 switch

This is what I'm thinking too. Ideally I weuld just swap some schmuck my old tablet for their OLED tablet, if the hackability is even still a selling point to anyone.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

b_d posted:

they changed the lighting in the hd remake to be smooth instead of on/off for some reason??

(original on right, hd on the left)

idk the original looked good to me and works better with the whole style.

"It depends"
The remake has some moments where the lighting is kind of messed up like that (and the original does not).
But, most of the time, it looks quite good:

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I think the battery on my launch switch is nearing it's end of life. Is there anything I should know before I google and then buy the first thing that looks legit?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Okay, here's a weird one. I thought the battery on my Switch was going, but now I'm not so sure. This morning I checked the battery on it - 71%. I just went to go get it - 5 hours later - and it's at 31% and warm to the touch. It's been undocked this whole time and hasn't been touched, and neither have any paired controllers.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Reiche posted:

My third party controller died today after 3 years of use so I’m looking to upgrade. I used a Sunwaytek controller but I’m not liking the reviews I’ve read for it’s never version. I don’t play many really intensive games outside of Monster Hunter and musou-style games so I’m just looking for something not too pricy hence why Nintendo’s pro controller isn’t in my list.

I've been using a knock-off Pro controller from AliExpress for a year or so and it has had zero issues. I think it cost me $20.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Can't drift if you have no analog stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My Pro controller started drifting. I know the joystick isn't the same as the Joycon, so is there any particular brand of replacements or anything anyone recommends?