Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I had just a blast going through Kirby's Adventure and I'm raring to go on Superstar Saga again, and now I'm think Star Allies would be lots of fun, especially do a solo power run or something like that.

Has anyone ever seen it for 30 or less, I could go as high as forty but I don't know if it's worth full price honestly.
Unlike Return to Dreamland, playing Star Allies alone is a deeply unsatisfying experience. If you have a 3DS I strongly recommend Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

so... what's with the new cooking mama game

https://twitter.com/MorshuMmm/status/1246837847241437185

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm disappointed that they're just ports and not remasters. I was pumped for Galaxy HD, was looking forward to playing a more polished Sunshine, and figured that a Mario 64 remaster while maintaining the graphical style was more than possible, going off the retro costume in Odyssey. Also I owned a Wii U and I played Mario 3D World to death and I have no desire to ever play it again.
Also Galaxy 2 is objectively better than Galaxy 1. The hell is wrong with some of you?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be more excited for this if the reveal trailer didn't make it look like the game is gonna take place in an already-destroyed Hyrule using BOTW assets.
Also if you're gonna have Zelda's VA from BOTW please give me an option to switch to Japanese with English subs. Thank you.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

So between the Mario 3D All Stars and Hyrule Warriors, I’m guessing Nintendo still has one more big game up its sleeves for the holiday, probably for an October or early December release. Could be Skyward Sword, but I’m guessing that gets held back for the Zelda 35th anniversary event next year. Prime Trilogy is another long shot, but doubtful. I’m going with a new Kirby game. Kirby’s crafted world would be amazing.

I would love a mainline Kirby game for the switch that has an actually good single-player campaign. Hell, just re-release Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot. I'll buy the hell out of that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Where's my goddamn Donkey Kong Country Returns 3?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I was holding out hope that this was gonna be more of a nature photography simulator than a theme park ride but it doesn't look like I'm gonna get my wish.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Actually it's only Nintendo if it's developed in a very specific region of Japan. Otherwise it's called Sparkling Famicom.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mario Odyssey is a great game but it might actually be a worse 100% experience than Sunshine.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
On a brighter note I just got Rayman Legends and so far this is basically what I've wanted from Kirby games for a while now: a game that's easy to breeze through with tons of optional challenge in every level.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

There are only two Bad moons (volleyball and jumprope bullshit)

I mean if you want to grind coins for 999 then sure but 100%ing it for all the "real" moons is very, very good (with those 2 exceptions)

Hard disagree. There are dozens of moons that are basically pixel hunts or just menial tasks. I understand from a design perspective for a mobile game to have content in basically every nook and cranny, but when you're down to those last fifty moons that you just can't find and you only have so much free time so you bite the bullet and use a guide, the game starts to feel like a chore. But there are very very VERY few modern AAA games that don't fall into that trap.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ColdPie posted:

100%ing games is brainworms poo poo. Games are about having fun. If you're not having fun, stop doing it. Don't want to do the jump rope thing? Stop doing the jump rope thing. Go play something good instead. Like Hollow Knight.

This is the real answer.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

My protip for games that have optional things that you don't like: do not do the thing you don't like

I really wanted that upgraded Bowser fight though... :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm more referring to the ones where you have to spin Cappy on a specific thing or ground pound a specific spot. The ones that are completely unmemorable in every way and just sort of add to your total. The ones that are basically just Korok Seeds. The reason the Korok Seeds work is that they're a fun sidegoal and something to make travelling the overworld a more active experience. If collecting Korok Seeds was the explicit goal of Breath of the Wild then they would come under a lot more scrutiny. A collectathon's central collectible should always be fun to collect. It's not like anyone would have said that 800 moons wasn't enough.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

Odyssey was a great game but completing all the moons seemed like a pretty big waste of my free time

Life is short man before you know it you've peaked and it's all downhill from there

Kind of like the main campaign in Odyssey
I think Darker Side should have been the definitive end of the game, like the final level of every 3D Mario game since Galaxy. As such, I think that for every moon, Nintendo should have asked "is this content unique/interesting enough for the player be required to experience it in order to reach the very end of the game?" And for every moon where the answer was "no", they should have replaced it with 100 coins.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

The extra moons are there specifically so you don't have to get every moon. There's nothing gated behind getting every single moon. I think you're all kind of missing the point.

There is though. The second painting in the wedding chapel on the Moon only unlocks when you get all 880 unique moons. Also there's a small little thing in Mushroom Kingdom if you get 999 moons by buying more than 100.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

This sounds like a straight downgrade, it both makes the random small stuff you find while running around less rewarding, and it means there’s no leeway for missing or simply not wanting to get a moon.

Ideally, there would be no moons in the game that were hidden unfairly or unenjoyable to collect, from the perspective of a player who would enjoy completing Darker Side.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Darker Side is the definitive end, the rest is just there if you feel like doing it. I was definitely done after Darker Side, which I didn't even like because, I don't find checkpoint-less endurance gauntlets really a sign of difficulty, just artificial challenge.

That's the thing. Any anti-frustration argument for a 300+ moon buffer to unlock Darker Side ignores that the level itself is a brutal gauntlet with no checkpoints. Player convenience is already out the window. Why make the barrier to entry so relatively low?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Put another way, why doesn't Darker Side have checkpoints if it isn't made specifically for people with completionist brainworms?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Snake Maze posted:

Because checkpoints in a single gauntlet are a totally disconnected design decision versus requiring 100% collectables to access the gauntlet? I don’t get what you think the connection between the two is.
Persistence. Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World all end with a checkpoint-free gauntlet that's only unlocked after completing everything else in the game. It exists as a final challenge to those who put enough time and energy into the game to get to it.
Odyssey, for some reason, lets you access this challenge after completing less than two-thirds of its content. This makes the end of the level, which is as sentimental a moment as Mario's ever had, feel less impactful, to me, personally.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of frustrating levels with no checkpoints my highest floor in Mummy-Me Maze Forever in Captain Toad is floor 30. There's also more levels unlocked by beating it which pisses me off.

I feel like this might possibly be one of the things that's easier docked than handheld, because part of the strategy for the floors ending in 5 is to tap the Chargin Chucks so they don't steamroll you, but that's difficult to do in handheld because you have to constantly move, so you can't tap with the left hand, and the right hand is usually busy holding a or moving the camera, making it difficult to tap. I also am notoriously bad at tapping them correctly and miss them. I know docked mode you can use the joycon as a pointer which probably makes it a bit more precise. All I know is I'm tearing my hair out over this thing.
The "new levels" are just the Coins Galore mini games from Episodes 1 2 and 3. Get the DLC and treat that as the actual end of the game, imo.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was worried I didn't like Platinum games after my first experience with them was slogging through the first three chapters of Astral Chain, but I got Wonderful 101 Remastered on a whim and I'm really enjoying it so far.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A Switch Pro would obviously make Nintendo a shitload of money in the short-term, but if their long-term plans right now are to stick with the whole hybrid home/portable console thing for future generations, a Switch Pro would probably gently caress them up when it's time for the next generation in, what, three years?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just beat the fifth world in Rayman Legends and this is the best 2D platformer I've played since Donkey Kong Country Returns, and I am open to suggestions of what else on the Switch to buy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Tropical Freeze if you haven’t bought that already.
A family friend gave me a WiiU as a graduation present in 2015, and Tropical Freeze was one of the only games I bought for it. A lot has been said about Tropical Freeze's terrible boss fights and its (relative to the rest of the game) underwhelming water levels, but the thing I remember most is the absolutely devastating disappointment I felt the instant I realized that the sixth world was the last one and it was going to be entirely ice levels.
That first half was loving amazing though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My only problem with 3D World is how drat spacious everything feels on a single player run. There's just so much space left empty in levels that are designed to accommodate four players at once. It's not even a difficulty issue so much as it is about the feeling of a conspicuous absence. That said, the fact that 3D World is simultaneously a pretty fun solo experience in addition to being one of the greatest co-op games of all time makes it a loving triumph of game design.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The moment that 3D All-Stars goes off the e-store is the moment that the VIrtual Console comes back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Give me my HD Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot release you fuckers.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread lol

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2021

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
oops

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2021

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

frogbs posted:

Oh no, I do! I guess I should have been more specific. Some of the reviews I read said they wished they'd just been able to explore in Bowser's Fury without a timer, or at least one that was a little longer. Was hoping maybe that was an option somewhere. But, I mean, i'm probably gonna cave and buy it anyway because i'll probably still enjoy it.

Bowser's Fury's timer means Bowser happens, not an automatic game over. It cycles.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
3D World's level timers for me were never an issue whatsoever except for the levels where the central challenge is "go fast".

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

They were never "An issue" but if you just wanted to just dink around in the giant savannah or whatever it would cost you a life. The complaint isn't about difficulty, it's just about the comparison to futzing around in the true 3d mario games
Personally, I never found the environments of 3D World to be aesthetically interesting enough to be worth exploring or experimenting in outside of searching for green stars and stamps. And really, I think the timer being there is an important design choice so that the player knows these levels are a linear series of challenges to progress through, not an open area to explore. I thought the Galaxy games had found a really great happy medium between the two, so I was disappointed by 3D World when I first played it. Now that Odyssey's come out and been such a huge success, I think I might be more ready to accept 3D World for what it is, and enjoy it as such.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Predictions for Zelda 35th Anniversary Direct (if there is one):

Absolutely Certain: Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD ported to the Switch, cost $60 each
More Likely Than Not: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask combo pack that uses some assets/changes from the 3DS remakes and costs $60
50/50: Breath of the Wild 2 news more substantial than a release year and a suggested retail price of $60
Longshot: Link to the Past HD ($60)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Finished BF at 69/100 and ready for the post game clean-up. I think the game stands on its own as one of the better marios. Definitely better than SM64. It would be worth buying by itself. Can't believe it comes with SM3dW, as well. Definitely the best mario value since SMAS+SMW on the SNES.

I took my time trying to do everything systematically instead of just mucking around and by the time I was at 48 shines the Fury was literally permanent. Is that on some kind of timer?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's only one NES game that's actually aged well and that's Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
24 minutes each on Bravely Default 2 and New Pokemon Snap followed by an Ultimate DLC character reveal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
50 minutes of apologizing for the news that the untitled Detective Pikachu game has been cancelled.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Deadly Premonition 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Actual announcement predictions:
Smash Bros. fighter reveal (out on March 1 give or take a few days)
No More Heroes III in April.
Metroid Prime 4 in June
Zelda direct next week.