Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah Mega man has always been about rote memorization. You cant expect to half rear end it or just run past enemies without getting overwhelmed. Instead of trying to kill enemies quickly, try surviving in difficult spots for as long as possible without firing any shots. That's how child me got good at Mega man 6. That and grinding for E tanks on Flame Man's stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Everybody shut up for a second, Yoshiro Kimura is putting a game on the Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-teYMMF4owM

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

anime is blood

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Here's an afterthought for folks on the fence between Starlink physical or digital- If they ever do a sequel, the toys from the first game will likely be compatible with the second, that is generally how this dead dumb genre works. Kind of doubt digital purchases would carry over though.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't finished it yet, but I think if you want to play a cute game with a fun overall conceit, Wandersong is shaping up to be a better game than Child of Light. The story actually goes somewhere and the characters are much better realized because all the dialogue isn't mangled low effort rhyme. Also it's not an RPG, which is a big plus honestly.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

How engaging is it mechanically? The singing looked interesting but I don't wanna spoil it with a gameplay tthrough incase the game is short.

Mechanically I would call it "serviceable." It largely plays out like an adventure game, but with some occasional light puzzle platforming, and of course the ever present singing mechanic. It's good fun to just fool around and make the bard sing at basically any point in the story, but singing is mapped the the right analogue stick, and its a little finicky as far as actually performing a song perfectly. So far there haven't been any fail-states for those music/rhythm game portions though, so I just end up sounding a little bad sometimes.

But as a vehicle for the story, it more than gets the job done. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's a bit like a Paper Mario game but with none of the RPG combat.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Ah yes, featuring all your favorite characters from the really horrendous 1993 Bubsy cartoon pilot.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Whenever I play jack box party pack games I feel like I am drawing ‘vanilla’ cards from Cards Against Humanity. I want my bigger blacker cock ok?

Cards Against Humanity is for rear end in a top hat morons and basically hands you a permission slip to tell randomly generated racist "jokes" with your friends. If you want to be a piece of poo poo, just do it and spend time with your friends playing actual games.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Do not worry, emulation monks have all the ROMs sequestered away in earthen jars, deep in the mountains.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Sorry, guy.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

As an asexual, I believe that video game characters should have the right to date whoever they want.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

What? This has absolutely nothing to do with same sex relations and everything to do with this thread constantly getting horny af over otherwise innocent media

Adults fawning over the sexuality of fictional cartoons in a space very much not dedicated to that will always be weird to me

I think a lot of people are just happy to see representation of something they relate to. It wasn't very horny. I would say you are the one being horny here, horny about your bad opinion, haha.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

The ambient moisture being taken in by the cooling system probably isn't good for the switch, though.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Heath posted:

Super Hydorah is beautiful

Hydorah is an awesome game and I wholly recommend it to anyone who likes shmups. It's like a playful, less stodgy Gradius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaVsNc2rFdg

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 16, 2018

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Just how Super is Super Hydorah? I played the original release back when it first came out and loved it, but $20 seems steep when the PC version is free.

Similar in scope to the changes between Maldita Castilla and the EX version. A handful of new levels and weapons, some tweeks and improvements to the original content, and notably, 2 player local co-op.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 16, 2018

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Also trying to weigh the value of the deluxe version of an originally freeware game is kind of flawed thinking. Locomalito is an indie dev who comes from the pre-steam time before charging for your work was a very viable way to get it into players' hands. And Hydorah is a great, polished game compared to most of the fluff showing up in the eshop. The fact that it's been free for years is a cool bonus, but I feel that it is worth more than free. Uh, waiting for a sale is cool too, though!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Mighty Bomb Jack is actually a lot better than it gets credit for! I remember it used to be an easy mark for AVGN youtube wannabes, but none of them seemed to play the game long enough to figure out you can cancel Jack's super high jump by pressing the A button a second time, and then enter a drift mode by mashing it. Gives you a really good level of air control you didn't really see in many NES games.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So my it's my brother in laws birthday and his sister forgot to get him a gift and I thought maybe I can get him something for his Switch.

The guy has a huge library on Steam and is a video game programmer himself, so I'm thinking a game that's less than 30 or so and game developers themselves can appreciate. He's color-blind though so... nothing where that can affect it (he had issues with the Witness for example).

Any ideas?

He'd probably enjoy an eshop card. If he's got a giant steam library, he might prefer indie releases to big box games.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Dead Cells did get a physical release, so there is indeed that.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah, there are a lot of great digital indie releases I COULD recommend, but there's not really much point in the context of giving a gift...

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Uh, Cave Story got a physical Switch release, and that game has a lot of sentimental value to big indie fans/devs, so maybe he would enjoy that?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Genuinely would but it's not in the budget. I think he'd be pretty into it though.

I think we're going with Dead Cells. If we can't find it at the store on the way we'll just pick up a gift card with that being the intent.

Thanks for the rushed decision!

Best Buy might still have it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Feenix posted:

My kid in the car seat would be operating the ball. I would never.

This is a bunk compromise and your kid is gonna think so too.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Everyone here says Eevee so you should be contrarian and pick Pikachu.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

There's a few other notable games on sale too that weren't listed on the website.

Minit and Uurnog Uurnlimited are are both under $10 and are cool weird little games.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

BGrifter posted:

I’ll probably return the Pro Controller after work. If the Switch is this much of a shitshow I’ll just put off buying the console entirely.

Yikes.

Nah the Switch is the best console Nintendo has put out in years, although it sounds like you might not be cool enough to own one.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I'm just saying, you seem like a real square, heh.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Dang, all of the Walmart's around me either didn't carry Diablo 3, or were sold out.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 22, 2018

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Don't worry guys I had to drive kind of far but I got a $17 copy of Diablo 3 :)
Now I can see if this franchise is any good, even though my understanding of it currently is that its a Nethack ripoff where you find progressively better pairs of pants.

Kevin Bacon posted:

So I caved into peer pressure and bought Odyssey. I have some notes:

1. It is cool
2. Do I really have to shake my whole Nintendo Switch Entertainment System when playing in handheld mode to do different cool moves?
3. Uncle amiibo is asking me for amiibo. Help.

You're gonna go buy an amiibo. Sorry.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Speaking of the sale, A Robot Named Fight just suddenly appeared in the sale at 40% off. It's a Super Metroid/roguelite hybrid and it's pretty cool.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Heath posted:

My grandmother can pick up Wii Sports Boxing and basically understand what's happening. That's absolutely not true of Street Fighter.

I wouldn't invite your grandmother to a party though, so I don't think that's a good argument.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, speaking of young kids playing Switch, I want to get Breath of the Wild soonish and obviously I know that there are likely very scary parts in it, but overall, how much of it is terrifying enemies and demons and whatnot, and how much is just 'run around and play, maybe hit a guy or six'?

Here's a good piece about someone spending time with their 3 year olds and Breath of the Wild. Seems like the game is a great conduit for experimental play.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/158741536532/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is

You were the guy also getting Kirby Star Allies for your kid, correct? I've been wanting to tell you that Kirby games hide a ton of text in the pause menus. Everything from full button listings/move sets/fun descriptions for abilities, and lore and flavor text for all of the bosses. I felt it was important to tell you this so you and your child can experience all the deep Kirby lore on offer.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

The help menu on the right side bar there also has a lot of pages on basic concepts, move lists, and descriptions of unique mechanics for characters that have them.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

LA Noire fuckin sucks

I considered getting LA Noire when it was on sale for $10, but decided to buy this on steam instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHDU47MeRk

I'm pretty sure I made the correct choice of detective game.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I checked out Car Quest and realized it's a Edis Brothers game, and that uh, that's pretty weird. I didn't think the freaking Lenny Loosejocks guys would still be making games. Anyways I just tossed them a buck for all the 56k memories.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I know it will never happen but god all I want is an official western release of Gimmick!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Did anyone pick up nba 2k19 or FIFA 19 how are they

Wow, racist and a sports liker. You really are the worst.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Some more good games have gone on eshop sale today. Night in the Woods and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove are both on sale if for some reason you haven't played these very good games yet. Also Ninjin: Clash of Carrots is 70% off and it seems like it might be pretty good.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

A light brushing of egg white prevents burning and gives the Switch an attractive sheen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

...maybe I’m wrong.

Jesus, finally