Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The only reason I haven't sold my WiiU is because it potentially allows me to play original Wii games on a modern television without first having to do a bunch of adapter rigmarole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

For anyone who wants a minigame compilation that actually intends to be one, I'd say chances are good UFO50 will get announced a Switch port this year. Hopefully on launch, because god I want to haul this game around and play the multiplayer on joycons so bad.

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1075148217845567489

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 1, 2019

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

DoctorOfLawls posted:

With cloud saves, would it be possible to have two Switches using the same account sharing saves/progress? The idea is that one Switch is always taken on the commute and the other is always kept at home in the dock.

This is a wretched amount of excess.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

You have to throw the jar into a lake if you can't beat the game by the time the jar is full. If you beat the game, you can use the jar to buy the big ice cream for all your friends.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I always picked Lanky Kong in Golden Eye 64 because he had the longest melee reach.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Hey, maybe dumb question, but whats the expected lifespan for Splatoon 2? I've already got like 30 games queued up to play on Switch, but the 30% off sale is tempting... I know eventually they'll stop doing splatfests and supporting other aspects of the game's online structure, so does the game currently still hold about the same value of playtime that it did at launch?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I was somewhat concerned about whatever rewards you get from splatfests drying up after those end, but seeing as nobody brought that up, it must be a non issue. Gonna get the game soon! :woomy:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

As an unscrupulous creep all I wanna do is blow other people up with the fake smash ball.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

so you don't think the rerelease of, say, Kirby Super Star for between 0 and 8 dollars could have had a negative effect on the sales of the Launch Ver. of Star Allies, an anemic 60-dollar release?

I'm stupid, so spending time on free good games would be a waste of the money I've spent on new mediocre games. However, purchasing more new games without finishing the previous ones is acceptable middle ground.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Over There posted:

I meant they thought it was cute instead of funny.

This got out of control.

You're cute.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

2D Mario games don't do big ideas anymore. Somebody get Wario on the horn.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

If you wait until the climate death of the earth, you can pry a Nintendo Switch from a skeleton's grip for free.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 15, 2019

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I tried that pose from the Wario shot and it really does help your voice get the deeper range and bellow of a proper "WA." I bet my neighbors are proud of me.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

So like Wargroove and the snes is gonna be announced as "out now" in a direct right?
That calendar gets real dry real fast at the end of the month.
So like early Feb

This month looks to have some pretty good games actually:

Pikuniku
Cursed Castilla EX
Downwell
TangleDeep

all release this month.

Also, Mutant Mudds Collection is currently 80% off at $3, which is a good price for anyone who likes more mechanical, older feeling platformers. Tight level design, but the soundtrack is really the high point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilqvdYgnaU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Holy lol he's playing Mario Kart with auto steering turned on and complaining it's too easy :laffo:

Also he's apparently too good for indie games, AKA most of the good ones.

melon cat posted:

For me- I want a game with a great, story-driven single player experience that looks great that I can just pick up and play. Pretty visuals, and no dumb gimmicky controls that will make me throw the controller at the wall. Don't want any RPGs or open-world experiences where I won't know what the gently caress I was supposed to do if I haven't played for a few weeks.

And I don't even know what this means. It's overly picky to the point that there's literally no selection. Almost every big budget story driven game is gonna be open world or an RPG, or for Nintendo games, a platformer, and you don't seem overly keen on those either. Do you like roguelikes or roguelites? Those can fit the bill of "pick up and play" very well and run a wide range of game styles. If you're really combing the eshop and you aren't finding ANYTHING? Then you really can't tell the difference between shovelware and a choice indie game.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah PSA as a genius who can pick the best indie game out of a crowd six years before it even releases, don't play Owl Boy. It's been the only bad game to trick me since, like, Spore. Just a real face plant of a game.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Spellman posted:

What the gently caress did they do to Dragon's Lair that it ends up being 6gigs

Well that's a lot of laserdisc data to squeeze on that tiny SD card, what did you expect.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

drat those button caps really look like Spree and now I want some. Spree, I mean.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I sold my Nintendo Switch at market for a sack of magical beans.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Downwell might be the best three dollar game the Switch eshop ever gets.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Small switch please, nintendo

No, because then they'd put bittering agent on it.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That one is even weirder since it was practically a musical and there were original songs written for like every episode

A lot of the songs from that show have gained some viral traction but I want to share this lesser known one, I think it really encapsulates the sensibilities of the Donkey Kong Country show writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2jPDXVwsx4

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I think video games can tell very distinct stories, and deliver those stories in novel and unique ways, but video game stories shouldn't be measured with the same expectations or mindset as older, more traditional story telling mediums.Night in the Woods is an example of a game whose story I feel is told best as a game. Even beyond the more obvious "story" aspect of the game- the dialogue, NitW uses it adventure game structure to very skillfully put you into the shoes of the character and her life. The aimless wandering, the fun vandalism sections, the fact that you probably aren't very good at rhythm games, the whole subdued nature of the thing really puts a cohesion towards the two normally disparate parts of a game, story and gameplay.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I'm gonna say something stupid to make the OP mad uhhhh

E.V.O. Search for Eden

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Chill out guys I've beaten E.V.O. twice, once as a teen and then later once in the same room as someone studying for law school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3eeLF2-ooI

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSB9SZvtP2I

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

They probably played that Switch on the toilet before selling it, so you should just buy a new one.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyone have experience with the Hori D-pad Left Joycons?

I've heard of them.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Make the dungeons open world too.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

PSA for goons who bought Marble It Up:
They finally put out that big content update with friend leader boards, a new chapter, and most importantly a new home screen icon to replace that really bad beta-build one they accidentally launched the game with!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’d that game turn out? I liked the 360 Arcade one.

It plays really well but all the levels are short time trial deals, the game can be cleared in 2~ hours, the idea being you stick around to beat your best times and find all the hidden marble skins. Multiplayer game modes are allegedly in the works. I'd say it's a good game if you wait for a sale.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I think the art style for the Link's Awakening remake looks really good and perfectly evokes the "world in a little window" aesthetic of pea green game boy games.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Would somebody please tell Nintendo to put out a new Panel De Pon.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve been checking a lot of places to see if Kirby Star Allies would ever go on sale, and it hasn’t. I can use my BestBuy GamerClub plus some credits to get it for like $30, that’s probably worth it right?

It's an easy game, even by Kirby standards, but if you've got someone to play co-op with, or if you just really like Kirby, it's a good time. The free DLC added in a lot of great fan service and some challenging post game content, so Star Allies is a better value now than it was at launch, at least. Also pretty sure it's gone on sale at least once, I think I got it for $45 last year.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Get the Shovel Knight amiibo.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Sorry, it was me. I work at the Smash Brothers factory and I ate up all the extra Piranha Plants. My bad.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Yo FUUUUUUUUCK the dpad on the pro controller. What a goddamn piece of poo poo for like seventy loving dollars or however much I paid for it. Yes I did just end three games of Tetris 99 because it slammed a piece down when I was trying to move it to the right. You'd think modern technology would be capable of crazy poo poo like know that up and right are different things but this wasn't solved back on the loving NES controller or Gameboy or anythingJesus Christ Nintendo you guys really have your top men on this poo poo huh you stupid motherfuckers.

Rot in hell.

Sorry, it was me. I work at the pro controller factory and I ate up all the good dpads. My bad.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Just downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo and didn't see a high contrast/colorblind mode.

Does the full game have any sort of option that isn't relying mostly on really similar colors? The yellow/green looks exactly the same to me so I'm really sucking at it.

There's a shop in the menu where you can earn alternate skins for the puzzle pieces, among them there's an "alphabet" option for the puyos that turns them into letters, but I don't know exactly how useful it would be for someone with color blindness.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

If its got a weird mouth like that its a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

It’s not really relaxing because the day is passing so fast and I feel like I’m just going to bed after barely doing anything.

Me too, buddy.