Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Is My Time at Portia good? I've played the hell out of Stardew and Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, wondering if it'll compare to those games. The character design looks atrocious and it looks like there is an arpg element as well, but looks like it could be fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s the switch version of Terraria compared to the others ?

I've clocked 1000+ hours on the PC version with mouse and keyboard, thought it would be nice to have it on switch for portability. I played it for about 15 minutes, found the controls to be unbearably awkward, never touched it again

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I played Digimon Cyber Sleuth and it was a lot more fun than Sword and Shield, if only for making the collect them all part more convenient and transparent. You can see what the evolution requirements are. You can see which Digimon are in each area. You can de-evolve and pick another route. You can easily level up your Digimon in storage, evolve them all from the same screen, etc.
Man, if there was a game where you just collected Pokemon and filled out your Pokedex, and made it fun to do, that would be great. Forget about the battling part even, I just want to catch them all within one videogame with no bullshit

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Len posted:

I liked it back in 2001 or 2 when I played it but every time I try to play it since it's just real boring and not worth my time and that is a Big Deal in my social group

Same it was my first RPG besides Pokemon and I liked it until I found better RPGs. The graphics and music are nice but holy poo poo is it boring in retrospect. Like I have a bit of nostalgia for it and I appreciate the introduction to the genre I guess? But I'm never gonna play it again when I could play a good game instead

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

How is Mario Tennis singleplayer? Is it as chill and satisfying to play as the N64 version? Hesitant to get it at full price since all I really want to do is zone out and rally with Mario characters, if it does that well and whatever gimmicks or flashy specials aren't too intrusive, I'd go for it

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone pick up the new story of seasons?

I got it, haven't gotten too far into it but it's OK. The farm and town are really small but I guess some stuff unlocks later. Seems like they took a few ideas from stardew valley (skill levels, crafting, materials processing) but it's still kinda slow and clunky. The tool bag confused me at first, since it's a separate option on the inventory screen that contains your initial set of tools which you then need to transfer to your active items. It's nice that you have separate storage for your tools on your person I guess, but I had a "where are my tools" moment before I figured it out. I'm glad that they didn't force you into a farming tutorial though, some previous games were beyond excessive with tutorial cutscenes.
Strangely it has a character designer that lets you choose any hairstyle, face, clothing, and voice you want with no strict boy/girl settings, like Animal Crossing, but you end up having to choose whether you're a boy or girl at the end anyway. I don't think there's same sex relationships either, so I guess it only effects who you can marry and what pronouns you have.
I haven't played a full season yet so I can't say how well it holds up. The characters seem pretty boring so far, in terms of design as well as personality. It's hard to even tell who's supposed to be dateable or not, most npc's except the obvious children and old folks look like a standard anime teenager.
I'm the type that will buy every Bokujō Monogatari (and Rune Factory) game when it comes out regardless of quality, so whether it's worth it as an individual game is kinda .. ?? So far it's not like, New Beginning bad, but it's not Friends of Mineral Town good. It's not unseating stardew valley as the go-to farm life game on the switch.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Catalina posted:

Also, same-sex dating and marriage are in the game! News Link here.

Ah my mistake then, the game does give you a lot of freedom of gender expression so it's nice they let you choose any partner also.
The game being unfinished does make a lot of sense, I haven't encountered any bugs but the loading times are noticeable. My first impression is that the world is very small. There's a mine but it's tiny, tiny floors and only goes down 10 levels that I can access at this point. No wilderness areas. Not much room to plant crops.
I started fishing and now there's a minigame to reel in the fish, like stardew did.. it feels like a bunch of design decisions were taken from stardew.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Having played further into SOS I can see how the game opens up over time, it's bigger than it looks at first blush, as other posters have pointed out.
You gather materials to unlock the next area, and gain access to higher tier materials to upgrade your stuff and unlock new things, and your goal is to gather enough to unlock the next area and tier of materials etc. So it is pretty good about giving you a number of goals to accomplish.
I do notice some choppiness when you have a lot of stuff on screen. I hope it doesn't get too bad when you're trying to design a more complex farm layout, I haven't even touched the decorative items and paths and such.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Man, it looks like hardly any reviews for Balan Wonderland are out yet. I guess if they didn't send out any review copies and nobody wants to buy it after the demo it'll be awhile until someone does a dissection of what is up with this game.

I kinda liked how strange and nonsensical the demo was, even if the gameplay was not fun. The floors are all wavy and moving? Little dancing creatures everywhere? Giant farmer lurks around the stages and turns into a giant wolf and then you rescue him and breakdance together? Little bird blob chao garden.. things that eat crystals and follow you around and tumble around in a big marble run machine? Teleporting into a minigame where the Nights looking guy does QTEs in a void to defeat a giant crystal for some reason? If it was cheaper I'd get it just for the novelty, but it's the same price as Monster Hunter Rise LOL

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I've been playing more Story of Seasons this past week, almost at the end of year 1 now, so here's a bunch of words on it:

The main issue I have with the game is that it has a lot of the same mechanics as Stardew Valley, but it's in very sluggish 3D that struggles to keep up with the amount of objects on screen. They've released a patch that improves load times somewhat, but there's still stuttering and pop-in while moving around in your farm. Stuff that wasn't that much of a hassle in SV, like maker machines that only make one product at a time, is much more awkward in SOS when the machines take up much more space and take longer to load and unload each one. Considering that SOS has over 20 different types of makers, and a lot of different tasks require producing a large batch of a certain product, at times it feels like playing factorio with zero automation.
Some limitations are just tedious grinding. I got far enough to start setting up sprinklers and seed makers, except the seed maker takes 23 hours to make 2 seeds. So, fine, I guess I'm making a bunch of seed makers and waiting a day if I want to work on raising the star rank of my crops. Looks like I need orichalcum to repair this building. Where do you get orichalcum? Oh, at the bottom of the 3rd mine, that spawns enough ore per trip to make maybe 2-3 bars. How many does the building need? Oh, 50? And I need another 5 per tool I want to upgrade?
I mean, it's not a *bad* game, there is a large variety of things to do and quests to complete. There's a lot of customization options for your player character, clothing, furniture, pets, horses. I haven't interacted with the NPC's or marriage a whole lot but they seem ok. The events I've seen have been fun.
Apparently there will be a patch coming out in the future to improve the makers, so it seems the developers are listening to feedback. There's content updates scheduled for the coming months so that should be interesting to see.
I'm reaching endgame content where I am right now, so things have slowed down as there's fewer things left to unlock and they're much more time consuming to finish. In most farming sim games I find the first year to be the most enjoyable when you're clearing space, planning your farm layout and setting up all your fields and buildings, and once that's done I lose interest in waiting it out for the endgame stuff since I'm just running maintenance on everything. Outside of starting over and trying a different approach I'm not that interested in continuing to play much past the first year.
The game is bigger than I took it for initially, but it still has issues. Sprite based farming games like Stardew are so much faster and more responsive, and Story of Seasons feels cumbersome in comparison. Decent game but falls short of the competition.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I'm liking Pokemon Snap so far. Only complaint so far is the music is super generic compared to the original. Pokemon games in general have been going towards a really sterile, corporate style where the presentation feels like promotional material for a shopping mall or laser eye clinic or something. I'm guessing the intent is to make Pokemon seem more "real" by presenting them in a more mundane, everyday fashion, or something like that.
Anyway they introduced a decent amount of new stuff like multiple versions of the stages where there's different arrangements of Pokemon, cataloging different behaviors for each Pokemon, different routes you can take through the stages, a quick scan that points out what Pokemon are in the area, quests for specific photos, etc. The presentation is very colorful and cute and has lots of little setpieces and animations to find. The Pokemon have tons of personality and it's cute to see stuff like Bidoof building a dam and swimming around carrying branches.
I've thought before that I like Pokemon for cataloging fantasy monsters more than I like battling them. The series goes out of its way to create a living fantasy ecosystem where the monsters fit in little niches and interact with each other as well as the environments and people of the world. So I like a game that is just that, observing and cataloging Pokemon in their natural habitat. It would be nice having a separate series or game mode even where you're a researcher or breeder rather than a trainer. It would be a nice idea for a new IP even, an undiscovered world full of strange creatures to discover and learn about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I like getting in a little virtual carnival ride and going past all the scenes of pokemon having fun/trying to murder each other. You can get enough points in 1 or 2 rides to unlock level 2, at which you'll usually get a new stage to go to so I just go back and forth between the different stages until a new one opens up. I haven't gotten to a level 3 yet, maybe it takes longer but I'm just messing about without a goal in mind.
I'm sure there's other ways to make fun safari/photography games, I like the condensed way Snap does it where everything is laid out deliberately on smaller maps so they can get more dense with the details. You sacrifice control over your movement so you can have these little scripted sequences you move though. It's Pokemon Disneyland and I like it for being that, understandably it doesn't appeal to everyone.