Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So my 6-ish month old Switch just died. I tried the things they had on their site, and after about the 7th 'No, that didn't fix it', I have to send it in for repair. I think it shorted or something. The dock gets power, but the switch won't power on in handheld or the dock.

If anyone has had any experience with that so far, were they able to fix it? Or did they just send back a refurbished one, and pretend it's yours? I'm considering just exchanging it, and changing my Nintendo ID password to hope whoever gets this one can't get into the account on it. Since I can't turn it on at all to factory restore it, and remove my info. But I don't know if that would work as a safety thing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Want a free gang tag?

I try to collect shiny versions of my favorite pokemon. But instead, I have only run into about 12 random ones that I didn't even look for. So I give them away to strangers on the internet that really appreciate them way more than I ever would.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

They didn't go far enough. Your food and ingredients should expire if you don't use them quickly enough. So should your armour

Hell, Link's stamina should have had permanent degradation too. Even if you don't run. He just loses it due to being 100+ at that point. Also the spirit orbs decay if you don't offer 4 of them fast enough. Better get bomb launching to the next shrine, buster!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only time I've ever ignored anyone is because this one guy would keep making posts that literally took up the length of my monitor twice in one post. And he would do this every time he'd post. He wasn't even the OP. When someone told him to stop, people jumped in to praise his "effort posting." As if anyone of them read a single word of it. I didn't even know ignore existed until then.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

japtor posted:

How would we know about the Switch as an airport rear end machine if not for them?

Oh, no. THAT post was legit like, 1/4 the size of the posts from the guy I'm talking about. That's nothing.

The guy I'm talking about was a thing years back. He would go into someone else's LP thread, and just make these insane posts abut an NES megaman game. Easily 3-4k words per post. Imagine someone having that much to say, because the OP says "Top Spin is bad." He was compelled to write a senior dissertation every time the OP said something he didn't like in the videos.

Anyway, on topic. I'm extremely hype for smtv, and I'm thrilled the ost so far sounds like it's the same composer that did iv. That was the best ost of all time, and I'm realy excited for more of it.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fps_nug posted:

Should I buy Pokemon Sword/Shield digitally?
I just had my appendix removed so I cant really drive to purchase it but I'm worried I'm gonna end up being bored with it and not have the opportunity to resell it.

generally just wondering what your experiences with the game have been, is it good?

From what I've seen in the pokemon thread, people who have never played pokemon / only played red and blue don't mind it and some like it alot. People who play all of them hate it.

If you don't play it with online connected in-game, it doesn't lag. But it's still not much exploration. It's alot of walk from town to town in disguised hallways. So you might like it more if you plan to collect pokemon, instead of play for the "story" that people complain about. Pokemon never has a good story anyway, though.

I'm a collect everything and play competitive after it's been out for a while kind of person. So I enjoy it and have over 200 hours in it. But I can't stress enough that Sword and Shield are especially not for everyone, because of low quality presentation. I don't know how to word that part better.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Samus was always tall

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My best friend got a bunch of those with his games. But mine never had them. I always felt so cheated. And I don't know anyone else that got them either.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

b_d posted:

i thought you just bought the games and they came with them? were you buying used or something? or maybe electronics plus or whatever it used to be called would unbox the games and gently caress with them for whatever reason.

now i'm really racking my brain trying to remember what that store used to be called before it turned into gamestop. it went through another phase too, maybe EB games after doing some research. but before that it was called something plus. maybe electronics etc? that's apparently a completely different company now though. mayhaps it was just a local store in the mall or something.

I was in like, 2nd and 3rd grade at the time. So I didn't buy them myself. But that store isn't something I've ever even heard of. And my games were brand new. I remember the shrink wrap. We didn't have second hand stores at all back then. I even got one directly from toys r us, the year my mom talked me into getting Wario's Woods instead of Super Metroid. And I'll never forget the dark path that lead me down in life.

But yeah, all of them were brand new, and I never ever had the little plastic things. :shrug:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Sakamoto said this will be the last story in the current metroid arc. Man if Samus doesn't fully jokerfy by the end I'm going to be disappointed. She needs to be full-on "gently caress the police" next arc

In the final Metroid game, Samus will close the arc by watching an entire solar system explode at the end of the escape sequence, and say "gently caress." But fans will be very upset, because they got the really bad voice from Other M again. Also they cut it Sopranos style. Also if you get 100% items and beat it in under 2 hours, she says "fudge." People will argue for years if the voice makes that funny or not.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lost Levels making you go back was Miyamoto telling the player, "No. You need to practice until you get that gold split."

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone knows botw's defining feature was the rain that cripples you from reaching the thing you wanted to go do. Including its intended feature of making it so you can't build a fire to wait out the rain in an instant.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The extremely canon movie confirmed that's their names, yeah.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What stinks is you have to use an analog stick to move around. I hate that for 2d games

I bought the club nintendo snes controller because of this. I want to try playing Metroid Dread the way it was intended. With a smaller than I remember controller. But at least I can hold it with a claw again if I need to. I forgot how big controllers got over the years, and always thought I lost the muscle memory to do that or something. But no, it was the controllers that were wrong.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

It may or may not work, I tried using that controller to play the Link’s Awakening remake and I wasn’t able to move because you can’t reassign movement to the pad in that game.

Honestly, I was just kinda hoping for the best with Dread. I don't really expect it to work, but I want it too. I like it enough for the snes online collection though, so that was enough to justify the purchase.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

I hope Psychedelic Eyeball does an LP of the sequel.

He streamed it for a bit back when it came out. I don't think he liked it much. I think he was one of the people that bounced off it after a day or 2 of wanting to like it alot, but couldn't. I might be misremembering. It's been a while.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fun Times! posted:

This is a sincere question: How could someone who liked 1 enough to beat the game with the eggplant not enjoy 2? Isn't it supposed to be more of the same?

tildes posted:

The above is a good point. I also think that the small differences between 1 and 2 can be a lot more pronounced for someone playing it at such a high level, and might be more unpleasant for them if they don’t like those changes.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Some people think 2 can be a little unfair and cheap, as opposed to 1 where it’s tough but usually fair. I haven’t played far enough in to see that for myself.

All these, plus him and Smight (and another former goon I still watch on there) all LOVED 1 to death, and couldn't wait for 2. And they ALL had the exact same complaints and hate of 2, and all dropped it within days. Smight spent hours and hours trying to finish the end game spoiler area, and even he just couldn't take the game anymore. The bear traps, the weird level generations. And there was probably some other complaints. It just had such a weird difficulty tuning, but it just seemed like they all said it's more "random deaths" compared to, "I see what I did wrong." Like, the levels will sometimes generate instant kill bear traps in spots where you literally cannot see them, because foreground grass is in the way.

It just sounded like the game is more out to get you with cheap things in new and exciting ways, compared to 1 where you can learn from mistakes.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Isn't the game gear one literally the same game as the master system one?

Game Gear had the added bonus of being way too zoomed in compared to the Master System versions. Yes, the first boss of Sonic 2 GG basically made my christmas gift a brick for a while. Thanks for asking.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

b_d posted:

that was the one that was like an antlion in a pit at the bottom of a slope and no rings, right? yeah that game was uh sweet.

Yeah, the slope had weird momentum if you slide at all, and the bouncing ball things had what I think was rng on which pattern they bounced in. So sometimes you'd just get the ones that are off screen way too high to see, and good luck.

Also, right before that, there's a part where Robotnik grabs you before you hit an instant death lava pit for some reason, and drops you into the boss fight. And I had a handful of times where he just didn't feel like showing up, and Sonic would just die in the lava.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

people point to the horrible first boss but they never mention that the rest of the game is absolute garbage too

Yeah, when I finally went back to the game literally years later, and beat it, I didn't have much else to say. Still a bad game, but fine after the hang glider level. And no other boss killed me because of the boss not spawning. The boar guy and the seal that I sort of remember were fine. :shrug:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

M.I.L.F.:

Metroid
I'd
Like to
Finally experience

Metroid
I'd
Like to
Free, so it can turn those who appose me into ashes after it eats their energy

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

You're right, this wiki is better just for letting us see Wario's poop.

Why are his leg and arm filled with spaghetti? He's German. Nintendo can't keep any lore straight anymore.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tried to think of all the N64 games I enjoyed as a kid, outside of Bomberman, Bomberman, Quake, Bomberman, DKR, and Mario 64. And it hit me. They can release their Jellyboy successor, Glover, at any time. It's perfect. N64 confirmed.

I do hope they can at least get some stuff from Konami for it though. I know Castlevania was really bad on n64. But I'm too lazy to hook up my console, and just wanna play them 1 more time for nostalgia sake.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

Have fun with your baby games, I'm playing the real Bomberman

People always make fun of it. But it's actually the closest to the lore there is. I think originally the first director of the series planned the first game as the story being something about all the bombermen were robots. And whoever escaped gets to be a real boy. Something to that effect. So Act Zero is just a modern grimdark reboot of the canon story. It's like if they made Gears of War (or anything similar) into Link's Cross bow training, and then people made fun of it for going back to being what it is. :science:

Hrist fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 17, 2021

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

It's nice that Nintendo fans have moved past Console Wars but it's funny that they've largely replaced them with occasional heated arguments about topics that are roughly equal in importance to "Do you crack your eggs open at the top or the bottom?"

Anyone who doesn't crack theirs in the middle is probably someone that likes all the games that I don't. I'll dedicate my new youtube channel to daily talks about how this affects the upcoming Switch Pro release date.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bemusedchunk posted:

this fella is not a plumber

Of course he's not. Yoshi refuses to be employed. He's been couch surfing for decades, and he loves it that way.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zurtilik posted:

Movies like this are always chock full of references so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone "doing the Mario." Or there being a joke about parnell universes or whatever.

If you think about it, Do the Mario is just "Here's how to walk" in song form. Many movies have secretly been paying tribute to Captain Lou all these years. :downs:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Probably better. Word is he is kinda George Lucas-like in that he is coasting off his good ideas from the past but his new ideas aren't very good.

Isn't Miyamoto one of the main reasons they made the "New Super Mario" series what it is. And then made it stay that was for 5 games in a row? I think I heard that somewhere. But I have no idea how true it is.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

I really doubt they're going to put an M rated game in the online sub

This is why they're taking more time to decide prices. N64 is included in the standard package. But you need to pay the "Don't tell dad" tier to get the M rated game (singular)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Postman posted:

New N64 Switch controller image... lol at that ZR button

It took them 3 old controllers to finally put the home button on one of them. But I'm happy they finally did. It's my only complaint about the snes one.

edit: what a terrible snipe.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if Metroid Dread turns out to be a bad game that wasn't released 15 years ago because it was bad then and it's still bad now?

It checks out. They had the mention of it in the fake lore dumps in Metroid Giaden Prime. Now here it finally is. Metroid Forever. *Duke guitar licks kick in :dukedog:*

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope it's this game's retro rep, continuing the tradition set forth by Mr. G&W, ROB, Dog, and now, Wii Balance Board, with a game of picross colored in on the dots on the foot surface, and the picross makes Doom Guy.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zurtilik posted:

New Samsh fighter is beloved comic character: Dilbert.

Amazing. Now all the cut scene final smashes make sense.

"Which came first? Ranch, or Cool Ranch?"

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything, Samus Returns might be a bit of a prototype for Dread. The melee counter move seems downplayed but also a bit more central at the same time? It's required for bosses but makes more sense there, while for regular enemies it's convenient but not required.

It's absolutely not required for any bosses. Just a miniboss type they spam near the end. The tedium of that repeated fight is my only complaint with the whole game. Thank god they downplayed it though. I hated it in Samus Returns. And I was afraid it would bring down Dread too.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snake Maze posted:

If you’re talking about the chozo warriors with shields you don’t need the melee counter for them either. They drop their shields when they attack, you can just lock on with missiles while the shield is up and shoot when they drop it

Yeah, them. But I mean the cut scene when you finish the fight. When I didn't do the counter, it reset to the start of the second half of the fight every time. I failed the counter twice in the first fight with one, and it kept resetting their HP and everything. It made it fee like it was mandatory for them.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jade Mage posted:

Final boss I'm pretty sure does require counters

I'm on the last part now, so I haven't seen it yet. But that makes sense if it does.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Postman posted:

play Metroid Dread

Trip report! Just beat it. It was worth the wait. Game is good. Thanks for reading.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Nintendo
A video game company

:colbert: Prove it to me. Show me their "killer app"

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

I love Dread but the EMMI stuff adds zero value. They're easily evaded once you're slightly competent with the movement and getting caught by one has no real penalty. You could delete that whole mechanic and the game is just as good.

If they're so easy to eavde, you wouldn't even notice them there anyway :smuggo:

I think the idea is fun the first time through. They definitly add a suspense element and stuff. But yeah, on later playthroughs they just slow the run down a bit. I don't mind them though. The area really doesn't make any difference, other than the morph ball places being shut off for a bit. Which is my main issue with emmis in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Social Animal posted:

So with this expansion pack we’ll get new games every month right?

I'd be surprised if they put out 2 games every other month, honestly. The ones they previewed will probably be the entire 2022 schedule.