Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Violen posted:

donkey kong

I enjoyed your trilogy of posts, no /s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

did that mushroom/lsd post get to you that much.

you're gonna be okay, my dude.

Nah, he's right, your posts are bad and you should feel bad.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I haven't played it myself but there's a romhack for DK64 that allows you to freely switch between all Kongs without needing to jump into the tag barrels over and over again.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4961/

I think this could make the game infinitely better.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

The Silver Snail posted:

I don't like how flat Donkey Kong Country feels. So horizontal. Like I put it in the same game feel category as Pit Fall.

Rare agreed with you, that's why DKC3 had awful rocket barrel and rope climbing levels

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Kevyn posted:

They should make New Super Mario Bros All-Stars.

I mean, I wouldn’t buy it, but those NSMB games always sell a trillion copies

Every NSMB title I've played feels soulless and empty. Like if a witch doctor brought your dead granddad back to life: he might be sitting there at the kitchen table eating breakfast with you, but you can't really enjoy his company because you know that he's a hollow shell with dark magic forcing him to pantomime eating and drinking.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

lets hang out posted:

you could emulate new gba games the day they came out

Usually way before they came out. Games would be leaked weeks in (game boy) advance.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Len posted:

It's always such a weird flex to be the person to shrug off anime the hardest

Man, opinions, huh

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Regarding the different ways to play the Disgaea series: I treat it like a puzzle game. I play Item World primarily, and each stage I spend ten minutes trying to complete it by blowing up all of the geo panels. If I can't do it in one turn, then the puzzle becomes trying to find a way to clear the exit gate and proceed to the next stage before the overleveled enemies turn my party into anime pancakes.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I was missing so many jumps in SMS when I started playing 3D All Stars that I thought it was input lag from playing on my TV. But nope, I miss the same jumps when playing handheld mode.

I still love Sunshine though. But similar to FFXII, another game that I love but has some really dumbass design decisions, I understand why people bounce off of it.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Len posted:

Oh god it even kicks me out of paintings when I get stars I wasn't there for?

Old, weird game design conventions that we just...accepted at the time.

The one that made me turn my Switch off in frustration earlier was Blooper Racing in SMS. Finish the race too slowly and just get dumped on your rear end back in the hubworld as if you died, no second chances.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Nah, he said a few pages back that portability doesn't matter. I'd get it on PC for the better performance.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Mario Sunshine is an appropriately named game. I gotta turn down my TV’s backlighting to 30%.

Once you collect enough shines, talk to the Pianta guy with sunglasses and he'll give you some cool shades to wear that look stylish and prevent your TV backlight from giving you a tan.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

Didn't actually take me many attempts to get this star, but this was my second:
https://twitter.com/Real_ManJackson/status/1308870022329139201

Defeat from the jaws of victory!

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I jumped on the Hades train a few days ago. Finally finished my first run yesterday, attempt 40 or so. Got carried with a rocket launcher attachment for the exagryph plus an ability that increased my attack if I caught myself in the blast, so I spammed rockets at point blank range to beat the boss.

I love how every weapon plays differently, and each of the upgrades can further alter your playstyle. One favorite of mine was using the Bull Rush move with the Aegis to pinball around the map.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

That's because the physics are off. If you were spinning something in real life, like a hammer toss, you would let go when you were facing 45 degrees away from where you want it to go, because that's the moment that the force is pointing in that direction. In Mario 64, Bowser flies off in exactly the direction you're facing when you let go, which is wrong

There's a modern day solution for this: play on a TV with motion smoothing turned all the way up, introducing tons of input lag.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
My least favorite part of the blue coin hunt in SMS is that you're prompted to save after you collect each one. The save text box pops up and freezes all of the game action, killing your momentum. I think it was a concession back in the Gamecube days that not everyone would have a memory card, but under what circumstances today would I -not- want to save my progress? I can't wait for Mario Sunshine to be reverse engineered one day so we can play it with QoL improvements like autosave that Nintendo shoulda and coulda put in.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Mario Galaxy is a pretty good game but most of the stars are just too simple. I bet the average clear time on a start can't be longer than like 5 minutes.

i think that's my biggest issue with the game, it feels more like linear obstacle courses than the other 3D marios do. It fits with the "space" aesthetic to have a bunch of vaguely related geometry for Mario to jump around on but most of the levels end up feeling pretty forgettable.

I agree with this. I think a similar comparison can be drawn between Super Mario World and SMB3. World's levels feel much more substantial with multiple exits and hidden areas, whereas Mario 3 has these tiny bite sized courses where you largely just run to the right.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

e: I have no doubt he remembers the script correctly, and just had a weird mis-speak or something which never got rerecorded. Right now it doesn't sound like anything sensible.

I bet in the '90s the V.O. sessions were supervised by Koji Kondo or some other non-native English speaker from Nintendo of Japan who wouldn't be able to pick up on the nuance of how to pronounce English words in a stereotypical Italian accent.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

This is how I feel about FF 10 tbh

It's how I feel about a lot of games. I know everybody loves new game + modes, but half the time I stop playing a game I like before I finish it.

I saw Timespinner through to the end recently, but it was fairly short (10 hours). I don't have the constitution to play post-game content if it's iterative and not transformative.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Nintendo Switch
Framerate Issues

Pick two

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Weedle posted:

someone hasn't played sega ages virtua racing. talk about c r i s p

I haven't played it, but I'm not surprised. Sega probably had some leftover blast processing.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I give the Switch poo poo for bad framerate issues but honestly every console this gen in my opinion has had framerate stability issues. I don't mind 30 fps games but it's the hitching and slowdown to 15-20 fps that I'm sensitive to.

Video games are hard to make and I'm sure every developer in the world would prefer that their game run smoothly.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Good games phased out game overs over a decade ago

Without game over screens we wouldn't have had this thing that haunted my childhood and scared me into never failing ever again:

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I hope whatever Nintendo does next has something similar, where I could play BOTW at higher resolutions and better framerate out of the box but from past Nintendo hardware it usually works on a small handful of games

This is Nintendo. If we're lucky, they'll re-release BotW in 2032 and the only change they'll make is to swap the A and B buttons, something no one ever asked for

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

THANK YOU. poo poo, are we the only ones who knew how to drive the thing? I mean, I guess that fact speaks to something, but I never, ever had an issue.

I got out of the Mako one time to fight some baddies, and when the fight was over and I got back inside, I instantly got a game over. Apparently the Mako had taken fatal damage during the fight so it became a literal death trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I've been playing Genshin Impact on PC with an xbox controller, and B is set to confirm and A is set to cancel with no way of changing it in-game. I can retrain my brain after playing for a little bit, but then it leads to chaos when I switch to playing 99% of other NA game releases where A=confirm & B=cancel.