Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, new Switch owner here. Apologies for what is probably a dumb question but I’m confused about Nintendo’s DRM method. If I buy a Switch game via the Nintendo Store on the console, is that purchase tied to my console or my account?

For instance if I wanted to sell the console in the future could I remove my Nintendo account but leave the games on there to add resale value? Or would that be a bad idea because they’re still tied to my account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I know it came out three years ago, but I just got it - is Breath of the Wild supposed to have a washed out look? It always looks like the brightness (black level) is set too high, but I sperge over my TV's display settings and I assure you they are correct.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

a lot of it does look kind of hazy/muted. it's like that handheld too

Ah yeah that's true. I suppose it's safe to assume that the handheld screen is correctly calibrated and a good point of reference.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

I know what you mean. It's the game. It's not as drastic on a monitor/display that supports full RGB. On my old living room TV, I actually set the black level to the opposite setting to get it to look more appreciable.

You only wanna do that if you know your display supports full RGB, or else you're just abandoning that handful of shades! Most TVs don't, or at least, they didn't back in... weird, I haven't bought a TV since 2013.

Yeah, I messed with the RGB Range settings and oddly enough, mis-matching RGB Range: Full on the Switch with Black Level at Low/Limited on the TV actually makes Breath of the Wild look "correct". Most of the time this would result in crushed white/black detail. But since the correctly matched settings result in how it looks in handheld mode, it must be what they wanted. My other theory is that they made the game bright enough so that those who don't touch their display settings will still always be able to see everything.

For those who don't know - All TV's accept RGB Limited. Some, and most newer models, accept RGB Full. Most of the time you will want to leave RGB at Limited unless you are connecting to a computer monitor, but you also have to ensure that your TV's black/reference level is also set to low/limited to match.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
TV's have gotten much better about input lag. Most new models have Game Mode prominently visible. For the longest time they would hide it deep into the system settings, and often it would either be On or Off for all inputs. Today you can set it by input usually, and my 2019 TV has auto low latency mode, which detects when a game is being played and switches automatically, which works with the Xbox One X but not the Switch, unfortunately.

ImpAtom posted:

Can you recommend the specific brand by any chance?

Most Vizios have low latency right out of the box. My TV is an LG and has no noticeable latency if you enable Game Mode or if the device supports Auto Low Latency mode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Metroid Prime Trilogy that was released on Wii in 2009 gave the games a somewhat improved control scheme. The Wii remote basically became mouselook/right joystick, so it controlled more like a standard FPS. It still wasn't ideal though because your right hand had to be pointed at the screen at all times. I'm assuming that if this trilogy is happening it will have standard FPS controls now.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Releasing the Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD remasters that were on Wii U seems like a no-brainer and not that hard to do, but what do I know?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Twilight Princess is a pretty solid Zelda game with some great dungeons, but there's something that's really missing that I can't quite put my finger on. It doesn't really take any risks or have ambitious changes/vision compared with all other post-OoT titles.

I would say it took several big risks - graphics leaning more toward realistic, being a bit darker in tone overall, and the biggest two being Wolf Link and the Twilight-engulfed areas and Twilight Realm. The rest of it is basically an Ocarina of Time rehash, but that doesn't bother me that much. OoT feels clunky and outdated to play now, TP doesn't. Well, the Wii version does, but the superior GC and HD versions do not.

TP was actually my favorite Zelda game, though it does have some odd mechanics and parts that drag. There's also a weird disconnect where most of the NPC's seem to be unaware that anything is wrong once you remove the twilight from that area. But like others said, the dungeons are fantastic and probably the best of the 3D Zeldas. It also engulfed me in the atmosphere more than any other Zelda, even BotW, but that probably has a lot to do with what I was going through at the time I originally played it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fawf posted:

This was anything but a risk, the Blades Will Bleed poo poo was basically a direct response to the gamers who cried about the Wind Waker's graphics and presentation

I Googled "blades will bleed"... I actually didn't know they marketed the game this way before release.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

psylent posted:

Have tried Hollow Knight a couple of times but just found it... not interesting.

Same. My biggest issue is the entire game looks essentially the same. Black foreground, blue-ish background. Everything is 90 degree angles. This + a very basic map makes me not want to bother finding my way around.

I instantly found Ori to be much more interesting. For me it helps that every area has a distinct look and color. However I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Blind Forest and maybe I just suck at video games but I'm about to give up, finding it too frustrating.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a limit to how much a Switch cartridge can hold? I mean, probably not since they're just basically SD cards, but can the system itself only recognize up to a certain size?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Xbone's system menu causes its own sounds to skip and crackle, even on the One X, and there's no option to turn the sounds off. You'll also likely have to do a full reboot of the system from time to time to improve performance, something you never have to do on the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

Everyone hates 3 because of the hosed up freak diaper baby character but it's largely the same as 2 with worse level design.

I think it was AVGN that summarized it well but I can't seem to find the video. In DKC 1 and 2, the levels are designed to have this sort of mechanical flow to them. The higher your skill, the more pleasing it is to play and the more visually impressive it is to watch. In DKC3, the levels are full of pauses in the action where you have to stop and wait or backtrack. And yes, worse music. I still don't think it's a bad game though.

Also yeah, Tropical Freeze might possibly be the best 2D platformer ever made.