Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Bloop posted:

I'm wondering about the balloons and if they are somehow part of the costume

They aren't. The trailer states that the balloons aren't included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dunno how they handle it in the Switch version, but in the DS version, pins need a specific type of PP to be the majority to evolve. If you have the wrong type, the pin won't evolve. (Sometime's you'll want to do this, since in some cases, evolution isn't always a good thing.)

Not only that, but certain PP types have weight to them, meaning that 1 point of it is worth like 9 times as much as 1 point of another type of PP. Though I'm just going off of the DS version here, so I don't know if this is all the same for Switch. The system is likely similar anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Yay for more DLC?

I guess Nintendo's going the way of EA now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1057270899957776384

:siren:Smash Direct happening!:siren:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You probably shouldn't feel too happy for Salurai because...

https://twitter.com/rr_gale/status/1058633923738193920

Yeah, this is pretty :yikes:. What the gently caress is wrong with the people at Nintendo!? Like there was a later version of the game being referenced that replaced the enemies with generic bandits, so there's absolutely no excuse here!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 5, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lodin posted:

They're Japanese and don't realize it's considered offensive? It might get changed with a patch cause I think it's too late in the cycle to do anything now.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Like there was a later version of the game being referenced that replaced the enemies with generic bandits, so there's absolutely no excuse here!

Also this wasn't this first time this sort of poo poo has happened either. I don't think ignorance works as an excuse here.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I think an earlier Game & Watch Gallery altered the graphics for that minigame in the North American release. There's no reason to expect that change won't be made again, because if it was obviously correct back then it's even more obviously correct now. However, "Nintendo" isn't a monolithic entity, so the people working on Smash most likely researched the original release and not the localized versions of later releases, and were unaware of the change. Managing changes for prerelease showings if games still in development is very complicated.

So that's why it'll be fixed by the time the game is done

It wasn't just a change made in the localized version. That version of that game changed it in all regions so the enemies were generic bandits instead of Native Americans.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

It's possible it already is and most footage we saw is from the Japanese version

Ah, changing it for some regions and leaving in the racism for others will totally fix the problem, yes. :rolleyes:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvxvzLVGTGs

New free Kirby DLC just got announced. Taranza, Magalor, & Susie and more stages. Looks like it’ll be out on the 30th.

It's not just new stages. Kirby Star Allies is actually getting a 2nd campaign. It's known as "Another Dimension Heroes" and takes place after the base campaign. Oh and they described it to be "difficult."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Question about the final boss: I noticed in co-op if we synchronized our shots we'd get a laser beam. Do you just get it automatically while playing solo with ai, or is it purely a bonus for actually playing with someone else?

It's a bonus. Otherwise the other players wouldn't have anything much to do in that fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Nintendo has always been a viciously lovely and greedy company, they have that weird Disney effect where people see them as more than a bunch of old greedy fucks who occassionally make products I want

But yeah this is very par for the course. That poor couple just got turbofucked for life by a corporation that continues to post very very healthy profits

Corporations are Always the Enemy

The way people rush to defend Nintendo whenever they do something wrong is genuinely disturbing. Like no matter what they say or seem like, they don't give a drat about the consumer at all, but people are all too willing to forget that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yes, please defend those helpless big corporations with millions of dollars instead of the couple that's about to get their lives utterly ruined. :jerkbag:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well this thread certainly took a turn.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The new thread title is a fate well deserved for this thread.

Your Computer posted:

missed a lot of posts but wanted to say that this is adorable

e: oh no I missed a lot of posts

Skip over those missed posts while you're still feeling that way.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dpulex posted:

Has Nintendo said anything about improving their abysmal online ecosystem? They are charging money for something with less features than even the WiiU (even the dreamcast had voice chat and that was nearly 20 years ago).

Nope and they never will.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

There are tons of people who will choose motion or otherwise nontraditional control methods. Kid Icarus Uprising's much-maligned controls were essentially the 3DS's best option for that sort of game and were fantastically implemented; Splatoon 2 and BOTW's gyro aiming is immaculate.

So Nintendo should feel confident in including a broad range of options, especially for players with disabilities, because for most people the motion controls are great and superior to literally any other option (analog stick aiming loving sucks!!!). It's their continual hostility towards accessibility options, such as their loud and emphatic refusal to support the Xbox Adaptive Controller, that's genuinely shameful.

Analog controls in console shooters tend to be fine. (Although yes, stuff like mouse controls are still king.) Splatoon's implementation of them is just horrible. They have so many dead zones and the camera is way too sensitive. Even by console shooter standards, Splatoon's stick controls are really bad. Motion is definitely an improvement, but it wouldn't be that much of a step up if they took the effort to actually make the analog controls good.

But at least the option to play without motion is there. Which is honestly just a pretty baffling thing for Nintendo to be leaving out in their other games. Yeah in a select few cases, there really isn't much of a replacement for motion, but in a lot of other cases, they can easily be translated into an input of some kind. Which just makes it a very needless barrier for people that can't even use them in the first place.

It's really baffling in Let's Go's case, given that there's an alternate control scheme the game has for capturing that the game won't let you use in docked mode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The campaign is decently meaty and there's a DLC that is purely single player challenge missions (with some cosmetic unlocks that carry over into MP.)

While Octo Expansion is good, you are essentially paying $80 for some short single player campaigns. As fun as it is, it is not worth that cost if you aren't even considering touching online (which would bring that cost up to $100+ if you're getting the annual plan.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's still really dumb, but it's a lot less bad than it used to be, since while it's not open 24/7, it's open for a lot longer and there's less downtime compared to launch where it was super easy to miss sessions.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Circle Nine posted:

I for the life of me cannot find a control method I like in Splatoon 2 which is making it really unfun and frustrating when I keep getting slatted by people who are loads better than me in whatever the main online mode is called. Does anyone have any tips or am I just going to keep bouncing off this until either I give up or it just clicks?

Try playing the campaign to get a feel for the controls and settings you like. It's meant to be the tutorial mode to ease players in for online and to get used to the general gameplay and mechanics. (The base campaign, not Octo Expansion if you have it.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean I haven’t played a console shooter since Halo 2 but yikes. Game looks amazing but sticks suck and the motion controls are a pseudo hybrid where you still have to use dual sticks for broad movement and the motion for finer aiming and ugh

That is in fact how you are supposed to use motion controls. Sure they're no mouse and keyboard, but it's a huge step up from just sticks. Allows for a greater sense of fine tuning in console shooters.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Isn't it still possible to access the eShop on the Switch even if you're banned from online? Though that would definitely be a much bigger deal than just not being able to play games online.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

New ominous things teased in the Kirby Update cause it comes out in a few days.

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/1066889608439316481

Play as everyone in the new story, fight a real big handful of new/redone bosses and uh... something is happening there that they've been building up to all year.

I hope they give the bosses more HP or reduce everyone's damage a lot more when there are 4 players so I can actually experience the fights.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's a time and place for short term gains, but that's typically if there's no long term to go after in the first place.

Though people saying that being slightly short of "mega success" means failure is just moronic. It's not like Nintendo needs the absolute best results just to survive at the moment.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kirby update is out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well they definitely made the bosses not instantly die to 4 players this time (unless you opt to set Whispy on fire again, in which case never mind.) And got rid of a ton of blind spots that were in some of their attacks before.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Goddamn the boss fights in the Kirby update are brutal. Oh, and you only need to worry about collecting 100 hearts. You have a leeway of 20 you can miss.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hal knows how to be rough when they want to be. The final boss fight of Heroes in Another Dimension is loving chaos.

Makes me wonder what a game from them would be like when they stop holding back.

EDIT: Holy poo poo they actually made it so that some of the bosses' attacks go through your invincibility frames. Guess they finally decided to cut down on that sort of abuse.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 30, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Soul Melter EX is loving brutal. The last string of bosses are easily the toughest in the entire series. Instead of giving you 6 tiny tomatoes, they give you 2 tiny tomatoes, 2 Pep Brews, and 2 Maxim Tomatoes. You'll need them! If you ever wanted to see what happens when HAL takes the kid gloves off, you'll get it!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Kins posted:

This Japanese blog post confirms that there won't be any more post-release content for Kirby Star Allies.

I suppose it's just as well. It and every other Switch game is going to be massively overshadowed by Smash Ultimate's release.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

If you're not looking to get into the tournament scene for a fighting game, you probably shouldn't worry about what the pro players say. Imo this applies doubly to Smash, where you have to disable like 1/3 of the mechanics for tournament play

This goes for a lot of multiplayer stuff. If you're not interested in playing competitively, there's no need to concern yourself with all the hubbub up there. Just play how you want.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

From what I've heard it's peer to peer which means "it depends on the connection of your opponent" :sigh:

For 1v1s, a server would actually make things worse since there's a middle man it has to go through in that case.

For more than that, peer to peer wouldn't exactly be ideal, admittedly. One person can end up dragging down the whole room. Though people having terrible internet can't completely be fixed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

Is there some settings buried somewhere to be able to turn on stage hazards for smash battles like the stuff that will come up in spirit battles, such as the whole stage randomly flipping upside down? I've found the menu for custom smash but it only has like 9 settings, and they are kind of boring.

Mini, bunny, rocketbelt, light, slow, fixed camera is a very special hell.

Nope, no way to turn stuff like that on. The settings you see there are all you get.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dehry posted:

Why is Nintendo searching Deviantart for sprites should be the real issue.

Pretty much. They might've gotten lazy and google searched Masked Man sprite, which is rather careless for them to do when they should have these references on hand. Or they're just being scumbags at worst (Not that this is anything new for the company at all.)

Augus posted:

From that deviant art page he linked:

I don’t think this twitter person knows what they’re talking about

That sprite in the deviantArt page is an altered one, though. And it's not actually used in Mother 3.

Either way, this shouldn't be defended.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My family has one Switch. If I buy the $20 Switch online thing, is that just for my account, which is what it'll be bought with, or is it for everyone's account that plays on that Switch? Or will I need the family account for my wife and possibly my son, if he's interested in that? Also asking to see who would have access to the NES games.

It's just for that account. Multiple accounts will need the family plan, which can fit up to 7 people.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So why exactly does this matter to general audiences? Is this actually something relevant to them, or just something that should be left to the business side of things?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the overall build quality of the hardware side of the Switch has been pretty shoddy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is racist.

Yeah, that's really hosed up. But not surprising unfortunately, coming from Nintendo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KingSlime posted:

If you really want to give them the benefit of the doubt, you could construe that the black villager character was an attempt to get the general color pallette/tone between the spirit and the fighter match as closely as possible

And you do fight DK in the latest punch out, even if yeah it's still a big oversight that could have been nipped

With deejay I'm struggling more to come up with an "innocent mistake" explanation

Apparently the Villager used in that fight had his skintone changed to black in a later build. So that one might have been an oversight.

But the other cases? Totally malice. One case of this (Mr. Game and Watch's old feather, which got patched out.) could be argued as "ignorance", but multiple cases is just malice.

And considering that this was a boss that in a game that Sakurai directed:

I really don't think benefit of the doubt is something people can afford to give.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Could the Switch even handle Witcher 3? Because that really does seem suspect.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The WiiU itself wasn't that great either. It might've had "good games" but it didn't really have games that people actually wanted to play. The console was just a massive failure all around. Very bad initial momentum, and it was just basically dead in the water after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wouldn't exactly call Color Splash the best, but it's a pretty decent game and very much improved over Sticker Star and addresses a lot of flaws that game had.