Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a nice clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The shrine where you're inside a rotating cylinder full of turning platforms and cogs made me feel physically sick to gently caress.

And the tilt one I've done so far I ended up brute forcing by thrusting the pad sharply over and over until the ball ended up flinging into the right place.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

repiv posted:

Yeah, the NSMB art style feels especially low effort now that Tropical Freeze exists. Individual DK:TF levels have more asset variety than entire worlds in NSMB.

step it up nintendo, retro is making you look bad :cmon:

Every NSMB game has looked and sounded like poo poo since day one. It's one of the few Nintendo properties that just fails completely in that area.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really feel like Nintendo are missing a trick by not just stuffing this machine with as many ports and remasters as they physically can as fast as they can. They had the right idea with the Wii's Virtual Console, it was just way too expensive, poorly implemented, and on dogshit hardware that I didn't enjoy using.

The idea of playing Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy and Wind Waker on this thing gets me excited - let alone the piles of GBA, SNES and N64 games that they'd get away with selling no-effort emulations for.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Microtransactions are there to give the player more choice and phones break after two years for our benefit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say in terms of platforming those games haven't kept up with other Mario games, or modern 2D platformers. They feel uninspired.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The sub is terrible value as it is. I don't think upping it will help matters.

Adding a killer SNES library and more than three games that actually play online would make it decent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As much a I loved NMH Suda's not put anything decent or interesting out in a decade, and the footage I've seen so far looks like dreck.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan_Shore posted:

Is this a new trend for parents to want games to be super easy for their kids? When a lot of us were kids games were brutal and unfair and we still love them. Hell at 5 I had to put a cassette tape into the computer and wait 20 minutes for a super poo poo hard game to load and I loved it

Those games were poorly designed and you only played them so much because the other entertainment available to you was after school TV and throwing rocks at smaller children.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

Also as if kids these days aren't turning up at high school and being challenged to play Dark Souls or similar.

The kids playing Fortnite now are probably far more skilled gamers than anyone in this thread.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The White Dragon posted:

my nerves were honed on SC but i just don't have the twitch and tempo of a street fighter or a tekken master

that said the kids playing fortnite right now are absolutely far more skilled than me... at fortnite. but if that's all they ever play, and that seems to be the case, they have no skill at anything else.

Yeah if you put DBFZ in the hands of someone who's only ever played Fortnite you'd probably beat them, no poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The White Dragon posted:

that's my point man, a lot of fortnite players play that and only that. it's that vicious playtime::payout skinner box cycle that hooks em in and that's all they wanna do

The point is they're learning transferable skills and will likely pick up new games/genres far quicker than we could - if they're so inclined.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

morallyobjected posted:

I know the Zelda games aren't really known for being cheery in their plots, but man I just got through the opening of Breath of the Wild and that is loving bleak.

also was I supposed to find some cold-weather gear somewhere? because I just ran through the mountains chomping mushrooms and peppers to avoid death, occasionally lighting a club on fire.

If you cook the mushrooms and peppers together you can stay warm for pretty much the whole time you're there. Otherwise you can sprint between fires. You can get warm clothes but you have to gently caress around gathering ingredients for a while.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

morallyobjected posted:

maybe a dumb question but how do you cook things? I found a couple fires that some bobokins were cooking meat at, but at fires I just have the option to sit. is the option in the inventory menu or something?

Yeah it's not really explained well. You have to select individual ingredients in the menu, hold them, pick up to five for a recipe and drop them into a lit pot (not just a fire).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waltzing Along posted:

What Wii U ports are left?

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3d World
Pikmin 3

That's it for the exclusives, isn't it? At least the ones that are worthwhile.

I can see a Pikmin trilogy coming out.
SM3dW will probably happen, assuming they can work out the blowing & touch mechanics. That's the only real sticking point.
W101 I could see happening because Platinum wants to put it on Switch. Seems almost a foregone conclusion.
TMS...I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get ported. It's pretty niche.

The other two that I can think of are Yoshi and Kirby. But I doubt either will get ported.

I imagine Pikmin will get either a port or a trilogy release in the run up to Pikmin 4 (which is totally happening).

And every game on earth with user created content devolves into a clusterfuck of poo poo once most of the players have moved on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BotW isn't really like any other Zelda so you might really dig it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

melon cat posted:

It's crazy just how expensive the Nintendo-developed games have become. And their prices never seem to go down, like, ever.

This is true. They're some of the only games that are still full price after a year. They occasionally do "player's choice" cheap options and poo poo like that but very rarely.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BattleMaster posted:

First party Nintendo games usually hold their value for their entire life cycle.

They shouldn't though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheScott2K posted:

melon cat just get a PS4, it's lousy with bad AAA third person shooters with cutscenes

It also has loads of good ones.

Turns out all consoles have plenty of good and bad games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus, almost a decade on Other M is still the most recent mainline Metroid game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heath posted:

Uh, have we already forgotten about Metroid Prime: Federation Force?

Ah yes, how silly of me. I'm gonna throw up for a few hours.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a scum game for scum.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Samus Returns is a remake and not all that better than Other M.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s a hell of a hot take.

I mostly just hate the 3DS and the ugly as sin aesthetic of every game it ever had.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fair. I love a lot of 3DS games but hated actually playing them on the 3DS.

Yeah, one of the best things about the Switch is that games that would otherwise be relegated to the handheld line should (hopefully will) be developed on a decent console instead.

Nintendo hasn't done nearly enough of this yet but Pokémon is a good start. I'd love to see a 2D Zelda and Metroid at some point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

redreader posted:

The first nintendo system I had access to was ds lite, then 2ds, wii u and now switch. I still have the last 3 mentioned. I have never played a metroid game before. Assuming I can play any version of any metroid game, which one do I start with? like with castlevania I just started with the ds ones, then SOTN on the psp and I thought they were great. I'd rather not just 'play the entire series' though. Similarly, BOTW was my first zelda. I don't have infinite time, which couple of zeldas/metroid games should I play?

Metroids:

- Zero Mission
- Super
- Prime 1

Zeldas:

- Link to the Past
- Majora's Mask
- Wind Waker

Technically OoT is the most 'defining' Zelda and the one that you should really start with, but the above three are all more interesting.

stev fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 21, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mister Facetious posted:

though none are straight up bad except Other M and Federation Force.

Eh I'd argue Hunters isn't great. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as those two but it's incredibly watered down and aged terribly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Slower than anticipated sales? Were they projecting one switch per bedroom of every household in the west? :psyduck:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even indie Metroidvania only has a handful of really big titles.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So how long will it be before footage of the scrapped game is leaked and we get articles about the game it could've been.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prediction: Prime 4 is the last first party Nintendo game releases on the Switch, and a launch title for their next system.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As the only one on earth who laments the loss of glassesless 3D in the switch, this speaks to me :smith:

Your mind is diseased.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Frankston posted:

"It's better to release a good game late than to release a lovely one early"

- Shiggy Miyamoto

"Buy New Super Mario Bros. today tho"

- Some prick

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

American McGay posted:

Hey 13 million people currently playing Smash Ultimate, you should stop playing until they release a patch. It's pretty much broken at the moment. Thank me later.

What if you give zero shits about losing online matches?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

People still buy Mario sport games?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I guess it's a bit weird when people do it over and over to the point where they might as well just keep the system, but who cares what they do with their electronics? If they're not getting any value out of their stuff, I can see why they might return or sell it. :shrug:

Yeah but unless they're selling to/buying from a friend or get lucky on eBay they'll never, ever buy it for less than they sold it unless there's a major price drop.

I'm guessing you'd lose Ł50-100 each time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Discounting the DK port Retro hasn't had a game out in almost five years now. I really would be amazed if they hadn't managed to finish something in that time, even if it's a smaller scale project.

Hopefully this was a case of Nintendo looking for an excuse to scrap the old project and Retro saying 'well we're almost done with that other thing, we can do this next'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

Only if they remove the motion controls

They wouldn't work on Switch would they? I'd have thought it'd need a sensor bar for pointy shooty.

But yeah the 'revolutionary' motion controls were shite. Just tweak the GC control scheme to bring it more in line with any FPS from the last 15 years.

V If they make it optional, sure. IIRC didn't Nintendo go out of their way to force you to use the motion controls in Pokémon Lets Go?

stev fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 26, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega64 posted:

I am working on figuring out time travel so I can travel forward in time and find out when the next Direct is scheduled.

Just go further forward and bring the games back. gently caress the announcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean there will definitely be a follow up console... The Switch isn't the last piece of hardware Nintendo's going to put out.