Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

woke kaczynski posted:

The friends of mineral town remake lets you be extremely and exuberantly gay unlike the original, which unfortunately rune factory has not done as of yet.

Yeah, after playing the Switch remake of Friends of Mineral Town with my character being hella bi...Rune Factory 4 (which I just got in the Best Buy sale) is going to feel hard to go back to. Do we know if the new Story of Seasons game (Olive Town?) will also let you be Not Straight? That feature made me get FoMT day one, rather than waiting for a sale like I would with Rune Factory.

Also, it should be mentioned to anyone else wondering which series to get: while Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon is anime, the Rune Factory series is Anime As Hell. That's a pro for some folks and a con for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

i think the point was that it sounds like violet_sky thinks that the japanese box art for those games is the same as the western release. in which case, uh, i've got some bad news for you about dragon quest, buddy.

Take a look at Alisia Dragoon's US cover art vs. its Japanese cover art for a great example of this. This was one of my favorite games as a kid.

Edit: oops, quoted the wrong post! In any case, this was in regards to Western releases trying to make the cover art look less "anime", regardless of how the game's graphics actually looked.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

i've popped 4 or 5 balloons in animal crossing since the christmas event went live and still haven't got a single one of the recipes. little jones really wanted to build a christmas tree, so this is disappointing

This happened with me with the fall recipes! I was looking forward to making a mushroom basement, but didn't get a single mushroom (or maple leaf) recipe despite playing for a few hours every day. :( It really bummed me out, like "Oh okay, guess I can't take part in one of the main features of changing seasons!"

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s Paradise Killer ?

I believe someone already answered this, but I love it. I'm only about halfway through it, but as soon as I heard "Vaporwave murder mystery", I couldn't buy it fast enough. I do like that it's quite open-ended. I believe the culprit is always the same (although I could be wrong!), but you can accuse whoever and the game won't give you a "Game over" screen like DanganRonpa or Phoenix Wright might. Similarly, you can explore and find clues in the order and level-of-thoroughness that you choose. Stylistically, it's got a little bit of The Silver Case (Suda51's visual novel) mixed in with some DanganRonpa (characters are flat portraits in a 3D world, etc.). It also features one of my favorite video game songs in 2020...just listen to those synths. @.@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdpF3H_3h0

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Ring Fit Adventure is fun as hell, it’s such a cool way to do a fitness game. I consider myself to have above average physical fitness and was decently challenged by the first few levels, no wonder this thing was impossible to find at the start of the lockdowns. It’s a great way to get some exercise without going outside.

I got this as a Christmas gift and it's kicking my rear end! I am a lazy out-of-shape almost-30 lump though, so I look forward to Ring Fit at least preventing my heart from giving out by the time I'm forty years old. :P Is there a recommendation for how many levels/worlds/whatever they're called to do in a day?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

I just started as well. I thought I gave this game a chance on PC years ago but turns out I only played for 2 hours. I get impatient with random battles and turn-based combat but this version has triple speed and an I Win button. Press the right stick to fill HP and limit gauge lol whoever thought of that was a genius. I wish FFX/X-2 had a similar function

Yeah, the speed-up and insta-win functions are godsends. I can't stand ATB, so I'm essentially playing the original FF7 as a visual novel before I take a shot at the remake.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm nearing the end of Paradise Killer and, before I move on to the actual trial portion, I have a question for anyone who has beaten the game. No story spoilers please (still haven't decided on a culprit), but feel free to spoil any mechanics!

Is there a form of NG+, or should I be sure to make a save before doing the trial? Like, for example, say I spent all this time grabbing collectibles, then go to trial. Oops, I picked the wrong culprit (or just want to see the results of accusing everyone)! Does the game:
a) reload to my last save before the trial,
b) unlock a NG+ mode, or
c) spit me back to the beginning of the game, with no currency, skins, etc.?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Red Minjo posted:

If all you're interested in is exploring the map and grabbing collectables, I think those are all still there after the trial. There's a segment between that and the credits where you can walk around freely. Dropping a save before then too doesn't hurt anything though.

Excellent, thank you! I still have so much left to investigate. :D Absolutely in my Top 3 of 2020.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

So I'm about two weeks into Ring Fit, and I'm already noticing an improvement! (I'm extremely out-of-shape, but not overweight...yet.) I'm already noticing that I feel more flexible, and I can now take the stairs without immediately feeling tired. Having sore muscles now feels GOOD instead of being painful and annoying. Every few days or so, I switch it up with thirty minutes on a stationary bike.

I do have a bit of an embarrassing question, though. It might be more of a medical question, but I kinda wanted to ask around before I bother my doctor with it (or go Googling and scare myself with "IT'S DEFINITELY A DEADLY ILLNESS"). After a few minutes in to Ring Fit, I start feeling really gag-y and I start retching a bit. I'm mostly able to work through it, but it scares my partner and makes him think I'm going to spray vomit everywhere mid-squat. :P

Is this due to me being a lazy goon, or am I perhaps doing something wrong? I've never been diagnosed with asthma, in case that matters. I've had some friends with asthma describe it as "your throat closing up", but what happens to me isn't lack of breath, I just start gagging/retching and feel bile rise up. The only other thing I can think of is that I smoke a ton of weed, but so does my partner, and it doesn't happen to him. Anyone else experience this, or should I just go ahead and message my doctor just to be safe?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

If there aren't any other noteworthy symptoms or weirdness going on that sounds like exercise induced GERD.

Oh, wow, I feel dumb, that makes a lot of sense. :doh: I do have some mild GERD, but I guess I didn't realize exercising could trigger it. Thank you!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Finally grabbed everything in Paradise Killer! I apologize for constantly raving about this game, but it's absolutely my favorite game of 2020 (with Bugsnax as a close second). It hooked me from the opening credits, and I can't get it out of my mind since I started playing. As I've said before, if you enjoy vaporwave, investigation games, or games set in weird worlds, do check this game out.

I've even pre-ordered the vinyl soundtrack, I love this drat game so much. Only problem is, I don't have a vinyl player, so I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap one... I highly recommend if you enjoy city pop or similar styles of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y27Xcd2nZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdpF3H_3h0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41BJ2a4-EwU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How well does Paradise Killer run on switch? It looks soooo good.

Not sure how it runs on PC, but on Switch, certain areas of the game (the gardens in particular) definitely lead to some framerate issues..or the game at least seemed to sort of stutter, lag, or pause for a second before going back to normal (assuming that's a FPS thing, I don't know the lingo too well). I have broken eyes so it didn't really bother me, but my partner is really sensitive to that stuff and would remark on it while he was glancing over at the TV.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's nothing too fast-paced in terms of gameplay is there? I got the impression it was a sort of puzzle game.

It's very much an open-world investigation game, with some VERY minor platforming. The FPS issues never affected the platforming for me, but the jumping physics do take a bit getting used to. I wouldn't call it a fast-paced game at all, either in gameplay or in story. Some folks think the game throws too much lore at you at once, but I didn't really have that problem, plus the in-game computer has a database of all your clues, lore, etc.

You're put in a big (if "empty", as there are no side quests, mini games, etc) open world and are told to solve a major crime, so the entire game is you doing as much (or as little) investigating as you like. You can start the game and head right to the court section having found literally no clues, or spend like 50+ hours just exploring, investigating, and chilling out to the music (like me).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I can't recommend it enough. If anyone is on the fence, check out the first ten minutes or so to see if you like the style aesthetic-wise. The opening credits start at 6:30, and I was absolutely hooked from then on. Also, you get to meet my favorite new character of 2020 (Shinji). I love the game so much I may just get a tattoo of my boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8FAa-9Lj8

I forgot to mention, it seems to take some style cues from both DanganRonpa and Suda51's The Silver Case. The former due to all the neon pink blood and flat 2D character portraits in a 3D world, and the latter due to the computer/robot voice that announces character names, collectibles, etc.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 9, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I hadn't realized so many goons had played Paradise Killer! :) Thanks for letting me evangelize a bit, I'm simultaneously so happy I played it and so sad that it's over. The studio is working on a new game, I'm curious if it's a sequel or something completely different.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

antidote posted:

There are a lot of really, really poo poo cheap players. Don't want to pry into your budget but Audio Technica has an entry level that's decent.

Avoid Crosley like the plague.

Inzombiac posted:

I have an Audio Technica player and have no complaints. I think it was less than $200. Absolutely worth it if you are interested in vinyl even a little.

Ooh, very helpful, thank you! I was hoping to keep it to under $100, but I'm thinking I won't get that lucky...I have heard that vinyl can be a very pricy hobby!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Does the Breath of the Wild DLC ever go on sale? I've had my Switch since March and don't think I've seen it go on sale once.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

romanowski posted:

I liked pokemon snap because of the kingler rock formation in the first level. it blew my stupid little 10 year old mind

Yeah! I was like, nine or so when I played it, and the "hidden Pokemon" both blew my mind and creeped me out a bit, particularly the Pinsir shadow in the power plant. I'm hoping the new game will have something similar.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I saw a new Harvest Moon on the eshop and then remembered that Harvest Moon is the bad series now because of dumb name fuckery. But there is also a new Story of Seasons releasing next month apparently (the real Harvest Moon), called Pioneers of Olive Town. I probably won't get it since I haven't even gotten the FoMT remake, but it's nice that it's there I suppose. I've heard nothing about the new SoS.

Bit late, but even beyond my having played the original, the FoMT remake got an instant buy for me once I learned it allowed for same-sex relationships. I know for a lot of folks, that's been a massive annoyance with previous Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games, and allegedly PoOT (hehehe) will have this feature as well. I know cynics like to say "They're just pandering to get that gay money, the game company doesn't actually care about LGBT people", but I politely tell those folks to gently caress off. A "life simulator" game allowing for same-sex relationships is important to more gay/bi people than you might think, even if it seems like a very basic feature.

Anyway, sorry for the soapbox! :haw: I'm oddly excited to put warp pipes in my Animal Crossing town, those should be available today?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just found out that in that trailer Mike Patton is doing the classic TMNT theme song lol

Mike Patton amazes me because I think folks (or at least younger folks) don't realize how great his vocal range must be. Sure, everyone knows him for that weird voice in Epic or Midlife Crisis, and he did voices for monsters in Left 4 Dead and the Darkness...but then there's also the gorgeous cover of a Commodores song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4ah-a4IJk

This was announced today and I'm digging (:D) it...gives me a sort of Firewatch vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tOvxkrVS8I

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

Littlewood is a lot of fun. A couple tiny things on the port could use some work.

- Text can be a little small. Especially on pop-up loot windows.

- Mini-Game counter at the bottom of the screen is half cut off.

woke kaczynski posted:

I've only played a bit but it seems like that's generally the idea. I find it quite charming so far, especially because it has the mechanic where time only advances when you take an action, which makes it about 60% chiller than comparable games in the already generally chill genre

Mister Facetious posted:

I would argue it's closer to Animal Crossing than Stardew in terms of activities and terraforming/interior decorating.

Stamina = time spent is the best innovation to the genre ever, and there's a dedicated menu button to return to your home no matter where you are so you don't accidentally use your last sliver and pass out.

Y'all have sold me on it, thank you! The new Harvest Moon (One World, not the upcoming Story of Seasons) apparently drains your stamina just by walking around, which is a goddamn crime.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

In Len's defense, I believe they have a chud boss who is a Covid-denier. I don't think they were saying that what Capcom was doing was okay, just that (at least to someone living in the US), it's not very surprising to hear "corporation refuses to adhere to Covid standards".

Apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

It's very cool, I think people could consider it shallow/light on content but it's so niche that I think people getting it know what they're getting into? The basic loop puts you in small sandbox environments with objectives to photograph objects with specific lenses or requirements that make you explore to find the right angle/position to get the shot, like "three lit cigarettes" or "hound dog (with a telephoto lens)". And the purpose of that is just to get you poking around the environments and noticing stuff and inspiring you to take neat photos on your own. I never use photo modes in games and in this one I'm spending a lot of time setting up cool shots of stuff and adjusting all the sliders to make it look neat.

And the worldbuilding and environmental storytelling is very well done. The game is about government failure to respond to catastrophe, made in response to Australian wildfires and unintentionally launching alongside covid, and it hits so well. But also the photos and environmental storytelling are the whole game. It's a cool little thing that's pretty cheap and does what it came to do well.

I had never heard of this game, thanks! Definitely gonna check out the Switch version after I play through the new Pokemon Snap.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

e: On the subject of those PC indies... What would y’all say are the big standouts that are notably absent from PS/Xbox?

If you like investigating/exploring, I'm usually here pimping Paradise Killer, check my post history in this thread for more info about the game.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s not at all like the games you’ve listed, but if “small indies” is what you’re after, I cannot recommend A Short Hike enough. It’s very short - I beat it in like two sittings - but it’s also only $8 and is, and I’m not exaggerating here, the closest thing I’ve ever found to a perfect game. Like I struggle to come up with literally anything to criticize about it.

Also seconding this!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I honestly think Tales of the Borderlands is probably my favorite telltale game. I find the writing in the BL universe to be (mostly) childish and cringe, but they managed to take the best parts and concepts from the universe, and crafted something really great.

I've recommended it to people even if they hate the mainline games, if you're a fan of TT's forumla, it's the best application of it in my opinion.

Yeah, Tales from the Borderlands was amazing, and actually managed to make me emotional (Scooter... :() It also had an excellent soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5CGz3X0bU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

For some reason I thought New Pokemon Snap was coming out next week and not at the end of April, and now I'm bummed. :colbert:

Disco Elysium on PS4 next week, though! :D

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

But yes iirc although I imagine it'll be a few months more before we see it, (or Tony hawk)

That reminds me, I am very excited for Tony Hawk to come to Switch. :D

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I played through Pokémon Snap over the weekend and I am now fully hyped for New Pokémon Snap to come out in a few weeks. I’m not sure what it is, but taking pictures of Pokémon is so calming and fun :allears:

:yeah:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

For anyone looking to fill the BotW shaped holes in their hearts I heartily recommend Immortals. Or I should say, my wife does because she's been playing it non-stop for the past 2 days. The art style definitely holds up to the port downgrades and it seems to run really solid 30fps for the most part which is drat impressive work by Ubisoft

I keep seeing this drop in price to ~$25 or so, I've been tempted to pick it up.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

From the same publisher as Paradise Killer (the game I won't shut up about), Genesis Noir has caught my eye. The style is gorgeous, so I may grab it while it's still on sale. I'll report back if so!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/genesis-noir-switch/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fn1YYeFe4

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

ExciteBike 99.

And yes, that means you hear that horrible whining screech from the other 98 bikes, all at once.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Umurangi Generation needs to hurry up and come out on Switch. :colbert:

Pokemon Snap 99.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh yeah, Galaga is my poo poo. :D At one point years ago I had one of the high scores on the Galaga machine at the Santa Cruz boardwalk.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ace Attorney 99 would be godlike

Speaking of, where is the supposed port of the Great Ace Attorney rumored in that Capcom leak? Actually, gently caress that, where's a new game? :colbert:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Zeeman posted:

It actually might get announced this weekend, Capcom is doing an Ace Attorney concert they’re streaming on Saturday

Oh hell yes! Fingers crossed...

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’d also like ports of AA 5 and 6 so I don’t have to break out the 3DS. Farewell

Yeah, agreed. There was already a compilation of 1, 2, and 3, so it would make sense to do a second compilation of Apollo Justice, 5, and 6.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

American McGay posted:

I can only read non-fiction anymore because learning is the best part.

:hfive: Same here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

New Pokemon Snap on April 30th.

Walla posted:

The 2 Famicom Detective Novels

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Tony Hawk skateboards
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes

:yeah: I'd like to add the Switch port of Umurangi Generation to this list as well.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Longing looks like exactly the kind of strange, tedious experimental game that I absolutely love.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Do people say The Longing looks tedious because of the 400 days thing? Because if so, I hate to burst their bubble

Not necessarily, I was thinking more because the animations (particularly walking) looked...very slow.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Policenaut posted:

... but a lot of Shenmue 3's plot deals with the fact that Ryo Hazuki is nowhere near qualified to fight his blood enemy...

Obligatory link to this bit from Shenmue 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qREMlE47eIY

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I never understood the boats in the Noki Bay level that were apparently made out of paper-mache.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Libluini posted:

Yawn. Maybe if they add Mischief Makers. :colbert:

Yes! I love the soundtrack for this game. I hated the boss battles, but chaining together little jet bursts hopping from...weird glowing sad-face ball to weird glowing sad-face ball was great.

Upthread somewhere, someone asked about World Ends with You. I'm slightly surprised to see more folks aren't excited for the sequel coming out this summer? I own the first game on DS but never played it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Huh, I had no idea Crash Team Racing had an overworld. That's neat.