Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I realize completion isn't a great way to factor the time spent on a game but I already have four games I've bought and played for a bit (I can't seem to find a time played information anywhere): Darkest Dungeon, Thumper, Lumines and Puyo Puyo Tetris. And I like the latter three, I think they're great games but I haven't wanted to sit down and have proper gos at them with everything else. DD is the only game I actively regret getting.

And then I have things like Bomberman R, which I beat the Single Player mode but hardly ever replay, which is somewhat like what happened with Mario Tennis, though you'll see me go through a few championships here and there.

I never "beat" Skyrim despite how many dozens of hours I put into it. I didn't get all the moons in Mario Odyssey. I haven't finished all the Grand Prixs in Mario Kart. And I'm on the chapter 4's of Octopath. But here I am trying so had to not buy another game before I finish those chapters because I don't want this thing to turn out like my Steam account. Just a bunch of games that I'll never play.

I almost got VVVVVVV with that sale, but I've played it several times now and it'd be silly to play it again with everything offered at the moment. Next purchase will either be Hyper Light Drifter (I think that'll get my money before Dead Cells in the end) as far as indies go and/or Okami or Dark Souls for console games. But Katamari is on the horizon and everything goes out the window with Smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Heath posted:

I've been playing Puyo Tetris at least 4 hours a week since I got it. Playing the 3 minute score attack mode is a good way to get a feeling of accomplishment without spending a ton of time on it. Although I love endurance mode too.

I get it. The game is worth Tetris alone at the price I got it for (20e) but it's just when I have chance to play something it's always the last thing I got, currently Into the Breach or Octopath. Or Splatoon when I have the time to sit down for a good block of time.

I think my partner has played Tetris more, and that's whenever we listen to podcasts together.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Kinda surpassed at this one, since if you pick 50cc, the AI is effectively brain dead.

I meant going through Mirror Mode and 200cc. I've done everything up through there. I have a handful of GP to go through on Mirror Mode.

I mean I've played the game plenty on single player and multiplayer, it's not one that I can consider "unplayed".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Agenta Khaulan posted:

Anyone know how long the battery life of the switch is undocked? I like the ports the switch is getting, some of them are really well done.

Longer than I need it to be. I'll say to myself "I'll play till the battery dies" and then it never does.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feenix posted:

I really like Mega Man but gently caress that game it's such a rage-inducing piece of poo poo, even on Casual. gently caress it. I am over it. I don't need to feel bad because I can't navigate rear end in a top hat falling blocks and conveyor belts and annoying floating yellow things.

Signed: Someone who is obviously too old for games like that, I guess

Is it harder than Celeste or the dumb platforming in Hollow Knight?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fallom posted:

I think there's one music note puzzle that requires you do this and I hated it. I couldn't get the analog stick alternative to work reliably at all.

The one I never bothered to finish, among the many I probably didn't find, was the one that has you running downhill along the edge of the Forest Kingdom. A misstep would either land you in the abyss or at the start so trying to get back to the beginning of those notes was a pain in the rear end, so I just stopped. Another reason I hated that Kingdom, whose saving grace, as I've said before, was it's incredibly good music.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love the idea of racing games but I'm not really good at them. I like to think I love 4x games like Civ, but again I'm terrible at them. Shooters are also really not my thing, despite how much I can enjoy a game like Splatoon.

I think it's got something to do with either reflexes or actual thought that gets me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Quoting this so I can find it when I’m not on my phone

Co-workers of mine told me they watch videos/listen to things as they correct papers, so I've been trying it out with this. It's not easy and certainly not productive, but I've enjoyed the reviews. It made 20XX seem interesting (I never played Mega Man so I don't really feel nostalgia there), but it really made me want to try out Blossom Tales. Golf Story looks quaint but I just don't like that sport. Should've been tennis.

All told I like this guy though. Good reviewer.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

when's that open world dickhead goose simulator coming? that's my killer app for switch

I think early 2019 was what was given but the early may not have been there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Over There posted:

Holy poo poo its a lot like No Mans Sky

NMS seemed like the sort of game I would've loved. All I know that there was a big focus on exploration which is the #1 thing I want in a game.

What exactly do you do in NMS, and how is Star Link at all like it? It makes it a very attractive get if it's just exploring space having adventures.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

pixaal posted:

No mans sky is basically use tools to shoot rocks with a laser gather resources and build new gear to repair / upgrade ship / weapons. Some planets are toxic and it's very much about survival. You also find a ton of interesting looking creatures and caverns. You can spend days on a single planet exploring everything. I don't think I made it too far, I spent several hours on each planet because I was enjoying exploring them not because I had to (you can spend as little as 5 minutes just grabbing what you want).

If you want to "play" a game and not a sandbox you can rush to the end of the story extremely quickly. If you can make your own fun and like exploring it's a super good game.

Sounds like early Minecraft. Before it got super developed and crafting-oriented, the big pull for me was spelunking and exploring the biomes and seeing how long I could last. I put so much time in just doing that. I could care less about building anything more elaborate than a mud shack.

NMS sounds cool. We'll see what Star Link turns out to be but that format is something I could really sink my teeth into.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Deadly Premonition is that Not Twin Peaks game right? I think it was one of the only Let's Play I've ever watched and really enjoyed.

I wonder how this new game plays. My partner eats up mystery stuff like this so maybe I can get her to be interested in it as well...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know what Solomon's Key is but I really like it. It's fun and seems to grant you way more abilities than you'd think with only two buttons. They still really need to tell you controls, yes you figure it out fast enough by fumbling around but it'd be nice to not have to do that.

Souped up Zelda is a nice addition. I like it to just kinda explore the world, and remember things without the pain of being a weakling. I beat Zelda 1 once back on that re-release they gave you with WW on the GC and I have no real intention of doing it again but with save states maybe I'll go through it slowly as time allows.

They should do this with other games though, really helps ease that difficult entry barrier.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

I could have swore the European website mentioned a "Special" version of SMB3 coming at some point this year.

Interesting to see Nintendo return to doing various weird little ROM hacks as bonuses... they haven't done that in a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88x08QZTGo

EDIT: Heh, it's not even a ROM hack, it's just a pre-prepared save-state. Odd.

I would've never thought about it, but watching a platformer going right-to-left is incredibly... wrong. I don't feel nauseous but just deeply unsettled. Like being pulled in a way I don't want to, or hearing some subliminal tone that just puts you off. It's the best Halloween scare I would've never imagined.

That said, I now wonder why Japanese programmers made these games function left-to-right, when they themselves read right to left. Or maybe that's not the correlation. All I know is that I deeply believe that things begin on the left and finish on the right to the point that I know I put my shoes on left side first. Gloves too. Not on purpose it's just what happens.

EDIT: Watching it makes me itchy. It is hosed up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nep-Nep posted:

I got curious and found this article: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/41913/20150324/science-explains-why-video-games-scroll-left-to-right.htm

It uses a study to support the claim that our brains generally have a bias such that left to right movement in that sort of setting feels more natural. I'm not sure how much truth there is to the whole idea but it sounds sensible.

Interesting. Come to think of it, it's been a convention far far longer than video games. Those early reels of horses running shows them going to the right. There's this great early animation of Coco the Clown dancing to St. James Infirmary that has him moving to the right as well.

Maybe we wrote left to right for this very reason. I don't know, but clearly it's deeply ingrained within us, and helps explain why the above clip is so unsettling.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

The first level literally forces you to do all of the moves, and there aren't that many combinations of buttons on an NES controller, so it takes about thirty seconds to trial-and-error your way to figuring out all the controls. If I was going to write a textbook on game design, this would be one of my primary examples of a good tutorial.

While I brought up Solomon's Key as it was the last game I tried, it really is a blanket statement for NES Online in general. Hockey remained confusing for a while, and having not played enough Tecmo Bowl I'm still not sure what's going on all the time. But that's fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's interesting to me that the spaceship is always fighting at ground level rather than doing strafing runs from above

Not just that they just seem to be floating there. The exploration seems cool, the conceit seems great, but the combat itself doesn't seem exhilarating. I'd love a demo for this game actually, just to get a feel for it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

I could be playing Super Dodgeball right now, and I'm not. Truly this is hellworld.

Yeah actually how do you play this? I figured out passing and throwing, but I can't reliably jump and I don't know how to catch. Golf also seems like it has a proper difficulty curve.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to but Starlink but I feel like it’ll be smart to wait since it’s an Ubisoft game so that means it’ll be half price a month after release.

Oh yeah hey good point. There's plenty to check out in between. Mario + Rabbids was in sales pretty regularly just a few months later.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kirby seems like the best choice, doesn't it practically play itself with all the allies?

If you're ok reading, Night in the Woods, is a good little narrative, but I think it may have some parts unpleasant to someone who may be averse to loud nights or bright visuals.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

asecondduck posted:

...Jesus I just realized that I'm gonna have five goddamn controllers for this console that I almost exclusively play single player games on. I might have a problem.

Same... I really like my Pro Controller, never noticed much trouble with the D-Pad, but I'm a sucker for that GC controller. Just sheer nostalgia there. I wonder how well it'll work because the C-stick is tiny and the D-pad isn't quite as accessible, but I'm horribly horribly tempted.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I have heard you can not pause in dark souls? It's on consoles now that have home buttons, can you just press those?

Seriously? Not a deal-breaker or anything but that's' pretty stupid, even if they try to make it up by saving where you are.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Motto posted:

they're persistently online games so you can't pause for the same reason you can't during a match of splatoon

Oh yeah fair enough. You can play offline though right?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The recent clueless dark souls posts in this thread kinda further cement my suspicions that some people who are primarily Nintendo gamers are a decade behind the curve.
I don't know how you can be the sort of person who posts on a games thread on a forum like SA and not have had some sort of idea how dark souls works. It came out nearly a decade ago!

I don't see why that comes as a surprise. I'm definitely in the camp that didn't get a console since the 360/Wii generation. I also barely got a lot of traction out of my 360 at that since I got it near the end of the cycle and moved overseas soon after. At that point I was finally completely living on my own and video games were not a luxury I could easily own (having started grad school).

Like many people I skipped out on a Wii U because it looked dumb but honestly I just never had enough money to own both a TV and a console (we only recently got a projector so I can play docked which is fun). The price tags on the XBone and PS4 were insanely high, even if I could have afforded to put aside 50 euro a month to save up, which I couldn't it would've taken me a good year to have enough to buy the system with a couple of good games (and another year to afford a TV).

I had Steam, but having a Macbook I was limited to the games offered on that, which was fine, there are plenty, and I would eventually get a New 3DS when that was announced and released once I finally had some proper financial independence.

The Switch I would've gotten anyway, but it was gifted to me (saving 50e a month was my plan, and I could finally afford to do so). And it's the first proper console I've owned in well over a decade. So imagine all the games that came out in between those years. I have no idea what they are, especially since I stopped following gaming news. I didn't subscribe to any magazines and it's not the content I looked on online, why would I when I can't buy any of it? I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat.

I suppose I'm a fairly exclusive Nintendo customer, having ran the gamut of SNES, N64, GC, and Wii always getting them at the end of their cycles with the GC being the exception. The systems were just generally cheaper for my parents and I eventually grew to like their games specifically. Again, not owning a TV from college onwards became a huge obstacle. I could hook things up to my room mates TV but once I moved overseas and got my own place it wasn't going to happen.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zas posted:

here are all of tim rogers videos about the nintendo switch or games on in the nintendo switch.

don't ask why i have links to all of them handy, i have a good reason. anyway

I don't remember why this came up in the thread, but I actually watched all of these while grading papers and they're very enjoyable and interesting. Any other people like this worth listening to?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

iddqd posted:

I have been playing Blossom’s Tale and it is not like Dark Souls. It’s awesome and I think the game I’ve enjoyed the most on the Switch so far. Really scratching that 2D Zelda itch I get frequently. I haven’t beaten it but I hope they end it in a way that leaves it open to a sequel.

Yeah it does look pretty cool. I was actually not interested at first because for some reason I thought it was a sequel to Ittle Dew which was a cute Zelda-like but SUPER easy and derivative. Is this actually tougher/more creative? I liked what I saw in that Tim Rogers video.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The real dark souls curse is endless dark souls arguments online

Didn't someone say the fans of the series are a particular kind of frustrating?

The game looks interesting, I want to get it, this is not a deal-breaker by any means, but it's a weird oversight to have been made. I'd much rather argue about the validity of weapon durability in BotW than this clear example of a bad game-design choice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls is the Undertale of video games, essentially

You're alright, you're the one that convinced me to get the game basically. Meaning I will hold you personally responsible when I end up hating it and regretting the money spent! :argh:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Handsome Wife posted:

If your complaint about Ittle Dew (which I haven't played, fwiw) was that it was derivative, Blossom Tales likely won't excite you. It's a pretty straightforward LttP clone.

As for difficulty, there's some challenging platforming in a couple of places and a couple of the bosses mix it up by essentially being bullet hell shooters, but I'm bad at video games and I found Blossom Tales pretty easy.

Well I don't mind it being a clone of one of the best games ever made but it does have to be original. Like a push the block puzzle or light the torch puzzles can't be blatantly that or should at least give you some challenges to get around. The Blossom Tales video had a good puzzle with torches and spinning fire balls and falling platforms all in one go that made it seem fun. The fact they took the Magic/Stamina meter from LBW was a wonderful decision.

I didn't get far in Ittle Dew, so you can assume it got better, because it was very very simple and I can only hope that it got more complicated as it went on.

The thing about Zelda vs Zelda-likes is that the former, despite repeating themselves over and over again somehow manage to make tried-and-true puzzles and stale activities feel constantly fresh and new. Pushing blocks, lighting torches, hitting switches is super enjoyable in Zelda due to excellent game design. When it's done well, which seems like Blossom Tales does, it's both original while being an homage to Zelda. When done poorly you wonder why are you spending time on these stupidly easy puzzles.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

My favorite part of the souls series is remembering that Shu from sony play tested demon souls and thought it was a broken mess and didn't care for the game. They had to explain that's how the game was supposed to be.

And it turns out you can pause dark souls by putting the switch to sleep.

Now there's a quick and easy solution.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gaffle posted:

Ittle Dew's shortcut puzzles and the master dungeon are all trickier than anything in a Zelda game. The amount of ways that all three items you get, especially the portal wand and ice rod, combine and interact is very well done. That said, the game is all about pushing the limits of block pushing puzzles, and there's basically no other puzzles. The easy beginning puzzles and the silly NES Zelda references made it seem amateurish to me at the start but I think it's actually a pretty great game.

Maybe worth a revisit. I know it's somewhere buried within my Steam account.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm taking a break from monhun to see what this Soloman's Key game is.

It's great but Save State with reckless abandon. I really like it and I'm honestly pretty impressed with the block mechanic. Had a fun little afternoon playing NES Online with my brother-in-law who didn't get Switch online. Dr. Mario is real good, we had fun with Balloon Fight, River City Ransom, and were both pleasantly surprised with Tecmo Bowl. He seemed pretty intrigued by Golf, though I personally am not a fan. I'm playing more Legend of Zelda than I care to admit, and Soloman's Key has got me pretty hooked.

King of Solomon posted:

It's a Swery game. More specifically, it's a puzzle platformer in the vein of Limbo or Inside about a queer woman looking for her missing girlfriend. The primary puzzle mechanic in the game is that the protagonist, J.J. Mackfield, can heal herself from any injury, so you'll need to injure yourself to proceed. For example, a couple puzzles I ran through last night involved lighting J.J. on fire to burn some vines, and one instance where I needed to slice J.J. up to where she's just a head to get through a tight area.

It's cool and weird. The story is told primarily through text messages on J.J.'s phone.

I'm going end up watching some footage to see how exactly the mechanic is used, but I've got to say... that sounds kind of disturbing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The space battles in Star Link remind me of the Old Battlefront 2 fights. This is a good thing.

Once any of you get it, let us know how the exploration feels. It's what most interests me for sure.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So what would be the worst version to buy? A physical copy with no toys? Because I'm not sure how much memory it is but it's definitely the sort of game I'd rather have physically than digitally, but I definitely have 0 interest in the physical objects. So I guess it'll have to be digital.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What people are saying make Star Link sound great. I however have things to beat and am patient and I'll wait for a sale, but I'll definitely be getting it.

Is there any purpose, aside from aesthetics, for the weird ship designs? I imagine weapon combos can matter, but why gently caress with the wings, will your ship actually maneuver differently?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Either way, I think the way the master sword breaks after X hits, no matter what, then you have to wait 10 minutes to use it again, is basically the worst possible way they could have implemented it.

It's really not that big a deal. Besides guardians there's not really much the master sword is necessarily better at killing, and you have at least 3 other ways of attacking them that nullifies any real advantage the master sword has. I just tend to let it break and recharge as I fight and use that as an excuse to use the other weapons I have. I personally don't care for weapon durability, but the system works fine.

Thinking about guardians, I really hate that I'll never forget how to cheese them... Not knowing was amazing because they were legit threats, and when I beat my first one by just bashing it to death I was pretty proud, even though I pretty much ran out of weapons.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

The combat in BOTW is turd rear end and it doesn't have any flow to disrupt.

Seriously. Late game despite being invincible I was just avoiding fights because they were super repetitive and dull. Eventually you just want to get through them fast because they don't ever offer anything interesting.

And that's ok. There was so much more to do than just fight.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've been meaning to pick up Okami. If it's on sale might as well do it now, unless it'll go back on sale in the future?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Goodpart posted:

On that note selected Nicalis titles are up to 60% off so probably worth looking into. Not sure if that's a global thing but games like Isaac, VVVVVV and Ikaruga are cheaper than ever, so :whatup:

VVVVVV... Shouldn't get it again, but then again. VVVVVV.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just got VVVVVV. I've played it several times already but at 5e, it's well worth it. Realized it was also on my 3DS, probably would've gotten it there but for twice as much... One day my Switch will be more portable but not just yet.

I really need to finish Octopath, so I can trade that in for Dark Souls. Gotta pick up Hyper Light one of these, and Okami.

Starlink sounds like something I'd really be into. But it seems WAY overpriced. Some of you have been talking about the deluxe edition and that comes up to 100e. No way I'd put down that much for a game. The DLC is just a ship and a pilot and a handful of weapons right? I can see maybe picking one DLC up at most but even at 15e each it seems like they're asking a lot. Definitely waiting for a sale on it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shockeh posted:

My sad story: I bought Child of Light because Hollow Knight had me craving another Metroidvania, and it is not that kind of game at all.

Meanwhile, the other suggested Metroidvanias are all nowhere near as good, and that leaves me with the grim realisation I have been utterly spoilt by the quality level of Hollow Knight, and nothing will come close.

I hear that Steamworld 2 is pretty good. People have also said Dark Souls is pretty much a 3D Metroidvania.

You can also see what Metroids you can pick up on a 3DS if you have one.

Keep in mind I haven't played either of the aforementioned games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's that Mario party bundle available in Europe? I could use a new joy con, my left one's shoulder buttons don't respond meaning I can't use it as a single player controller anymore.