Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i don't really keep up with the Fire Emblem community or whatever, do people think the new game looks good?

It's really hard to judge at this point, they're only just releasing gameplay details now. It's got some cool time-management military training simulator stuff going on which I'm very interested in.

But anyone saying it's going to be terrible or amazing from what we've got so far is very premature in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm definitely looking forward to it, but there's just not a whole lot of info out yet.

Although continue to stay away from the "fire emblem community" lol, it gets very negative.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

JBP posted:

I guess I only ever played the original which was a good game where you did grid battles. I don't think I want to play this. Where's my new advance wars for when I'm done with Wargroove?

The grid battles are still there, they were just showing off the new stuff, which is like a school management sim that you can set to automate if you just want to get to the battles.

By original do you mean the one just called "Fire Emblem"? If you liked that one you should play Sacred Stones, it's the one after that and is pretty similar in gameplay.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

JBP posted:

I think my fear is that I love stats and menus and I'll sit in the loving school getting +1 to poo poo forever instead of killing my anime enemies.

Same but replace fear with hope

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey who liked the Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA? How about a remake for the Switch?

https://s.famitsu.com/news/201907/02178856.html

ahhh I was just talking the other day about my crazy nostalgia for that game!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I posted this elsewhere, but if anyone listens to Waypoint, Austin Walker basically completely sold me on Fire Emblem in Monday's episode. The school stuff sounds like it leads to fun unit customization, and there are QOL changes that sound really great, like an Into the Breach style limited turn rewind. Also they got rid of the weapon triangle which somehow I didn't know?

Yeah the rewind was in the last game, Shadows of Valentia, and it's an incredibly good feature. If permadeath/resetting ever stopped you playing Fire Emblem, that's basically a solved problem now.

(in my opinion, etc etc)

edit: SoV also didn't have the weapon triangle, but that's because it was a remake of a game that came out before they put the weapon triangle in.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

I'm a little annoyed about the rewind because one of my biggest pet peeves is people ignoring hit/crit rate and then getting outraged that the RNG bullshit killed them their 20th time attacking an enemy with 5% chance to crit, and the rewind seems like it'll just encourage people to keep trying until the dice roll in their favor instead of actually playing around it. On the other hand Fire Emblem has been moving away from being a strategy game for a while now so I should probably stop yelling at clouds.

It doesn't change RNG though (I don't think, anyway?). I actually think it's good precisely because it does make people learn from their mistakes. Before, if you hosed up really bad you'd have to reset the game, and the frustration from having to do that probably made a lot of people drop the game. Now, you don't have to restart at all, you can immediately see your mistake and correct it.

I mean some people are always going to play a game "wrong" but I don't really think that matters if it doesn't have any impact on how you play the game.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

why do they always make it so you can't pair the best colours!! let me have my pink and purple joycons!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

24 hours to fire emblem

very excited to emble

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

nintendo giving me the pink and purple joy-cons I demanded but on a limited edition bundle for a country i don't live in :negative:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

Manuela is very cool and I won't have anyone disrespecting her

:yeah:

Manuela is a great character and I love her

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

:yeah:

I've played it a whole lot today, it's very silly and fun. The goose really feels like a goose!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

tuo posted:

looks less like a sandbox, though, imo. More like a clever puzzle game?

Yeah it's much more like a puzzle game. You have goals to accomplish and are given tools to somehow use to accomplish your goals. You're never really told what to do (apart from the checklist) but it's incredibly intuitive and fun to just gently caress around and be a goose.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yeah I spent like half an hour just honking at the little boy because his reactions are so funny

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i asked this in the FE thread, but I thought I might ask here too:

Fire Emblem Three Houses, any tips for playing on hard? Big change from normal?

You get two spikes of difficulty at the very beginning and then again at the time-skip, but once you get past those it's manageable. Don't think it's a huge change.

also seconded that pegasus knights are loving terrifying in hard

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

those sales don't appear to extend to Australia :negative:

I wanted cheap witcher....

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

We just finished Untitled Goose Game and the ending had us laughing. We had missed the bells the first time around, or rather didn't think much of it, so to see them all stacked there was a perfect punchline.

yesss it's such a perfect ending. I actually cackled when i got there.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

this person said celeste was bad trans rep because the editor of the fan wiki said the mc wasnt trans, so id take anything they say with a grain of salt

ofc ive seen other people also saying there's some weirdness with the trans character in dp2

edit: tbf to this idiot, the persona 5 slur thing mostly wasnt their fault. they wanted to ask atlus/nintendo for comment about it but their editor pushed the story out ahead of them.

Is there anything more to this than this article? She seems to be just expressing mild disappointment that the character being trans wasn't outright confirmed so she can't talk about the aspect of that character without people arguing against it. I'm not saying she's right or wrong on that, but it seems pretty small fries to be dismissing her reporting based on just that.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 9, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

A person who wrote an article praising a D&D podcast for trans rep condemning a game made by queer creators for 'not being explicitly queer enough' because a fan wiki editor was lovely, is incredibly bad.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's p embarassing when people grasp at straws to cancel something for transphobia based on third-hand information when it's not like transphobes RIGHT NOW are remotely subtle

I did not get her condemning or cancelling anything from that article, though? What's the issue with the D&D podcast? I'm sorry for repeated questioning lol these just sound like very petty complaints without context so I am genuinely trying to understand the issue.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 9, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i demand new pokemon snap news

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm sad because I was really looking forward to AoC but having played some of the demo, I'm not sure I like it. I'll finish the demo and see if it clicks for me, but having only played FE Warriors before the additional mechanics for combos and the sheikah slate stuff is a bit too much for me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I used God Mode in Hades because I am bad at that kind of game but really enjoyed it when I had a little bit of extra leeway. Only issue I had was as I got better at the game, I wanted to reduce the damage reduction I had racked up without totally getting rid of it, but there's no way to reset it. But that was mitigated by the heat system, so it wasn't too big a deal for me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Turning on god mode allowed me to continue enjoying the story instead of getting stuck dying frustrating deaths over and over, so I fully recommend it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Homora Gaykemi posted:

yeah, but how many axe-wielding lesbians do they have?

have you not met echidna

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Nintendo Switch Thread: I have a personal stake in ripping on hentai anime games

this is so tempting

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lol they're not remaking path of radiance

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

1.5 has a new farm map and the ability to adjust some settings when you start out, but for the most part it's stuff that will matter later on in a game, so you can probably start now and then by the time 1.5 comes out it'll be relevant.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

this thread title juuuust fits. I'm so happy.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm genuinely happy this very difficult time in my life has given us a new thread title.

My sincerest thanks to you for taking the time to share it with us, and best wishes for your recovery. I hope we can continue to provide an outlet for entertainment for you here.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"grown man got valium shot into his rear end because he lost at Mario Kart"

????

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Im in a psyche ward and I found another dude with Mario kart, traded friend codes and he kicked my rear end a lot and I finally beat him once and he flipped out and they took both our switches away. I know technically it's not very 'lol' to have mental illness but I still can't believe I just saw a grown man get valium shot into his rear end because he lost at Mario kart

i'll requote it as many times as needed

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Please don't post hot takes about body image issues in this, the nintendo switch thread.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

snippy snappy

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't think I'd be interested in New Pokemon Snap if it weren't on-rails. That's a specific part of the appeal for me, that you're basically going on a rollercoaster ride and gawking out the window at nature. If it was open world it wouldn't be pokemon snap.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

this is a very good thread title

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Stux posted:

insanely cool to rec ddlc with no info considering what happens in the game lol let me do it. it fakes being a normal dating vn so it can show u stuff like extremely graphic depictions of people killing themselves unnaounced

yeah I played it when it first came out and this genuinely really unsettled me. I also didn't find the writing particularly impressive, and I definitely wouldn't recommend buying it sight unseen when it's also free on PC.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Colorspray posted:

Holy cheezits if this is what recommending a spooky experience does to the thread I take it back. Can we go back to durability, framerates and ethics of amiibo consumption instead?

personally, I find amiibos too spicy

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Colorspray posted:

Most are too hard to fit in my mouth, personally.

you have to make time for jaw stretching exercises

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

please oh god let's leave this conversation behind us

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

we have always believed the switch pro rumours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I thought the Ashen Wolves campaign was really fun. It's definitely harder than the main game, but in a satisfying way that makes you play quickly and cleverly. It also gives you access to extra classes and four new characters in the main game, plus some extra paralogues that are ludicrously hard but in a not-fun way this time.

edit: oh, one of the relics it gives is REALLY good, it gives any unit canto. Fantastic on a dancer.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 16, 2021