Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I just bought a used Switch and had two questions:

1) The seller left his account on it, which has like 4-5 games (BOTW and Stardew Valley which I'll definitely play, plus two of the Pokemon's and Xenoblade which I probably won't unless I get really bored). From what I understand, if I leave the guy's profile on there I'll be able to play them indefinitely assuming he doesn't change the password or whatever, at which point I could potentially lose my save.

I've created my own profile to link to my Nintendo account because I'd like to use the Nintendo Online service, but haven't yet linked it yet. I get a pop-up saying "This Nintendo Account will be linked to the Nintendo Switch console. Note: once this is done, you will not be able to change your linked account". I *think* what it means is that my Nintendo Account will be permanently linked to the new profile I created on the console, but was wondering if two profiles, linked to separate accounts, could exist on the same Switch. In other words, will I lose the games that came with the original account? Not that fussed if I do (didn't factor them into the original purchase price), but might wait a couple weeks if I'm going to lose them so I can try them out and see if they're worth purchasing on my own.

2) Dude was a smoker and console definitely smells of tobacco. I've done some general Googling and was going to try putting it in a Ziploc with some dryer sheets, but anyone have any direct experience/advice?

Impressions (haven't really played anything yet):
  • Thought it'd be heavier, pleasantly surprised.
  • UI pretty good.
  • Screen seems crisp.
  • Joycons don't seem like they will be much fun as individual controllers for multiplayer, need to order adapter so I can use Wii U Pro controller I already have.
  • Very much looking forward to taking this with me on trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
edit:

What are people's thoughts on the Switch Pro controller vs a WiiU Pro controller + 8bitdo dongle? I know the latter will be a bit janky, but OTOH it's about 1/4 the price - just wondering if the Switch Pro controller has any advantages as far as comfort, extra buttons, etc.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The seller can remotely decativate his account at any time and you'll lose access to those games.

In the meantime you can play those games if you want but you'll want to use your profile to do so, so that the save files are associated with your account for cloud saves or if he ever remotely deactivates the profile you can resume playing later if you purchase the games yourself.

You can have two primary profiles on the same system and they can both be used to play games purchased with the other profile (while active).

The warning about the permanent link is really only relevant if you already had saves on a different profile that you cared about, but that isn't the case here.

If you keep the Switch in airplane mode it won't deactivate the sellers account (if he remotely deactivates it in the meantime) until you connect it online again. You could consider doing that for a little while to try out the games understanding that once you take it back online you may have to purchase them to continue. I guess you could think of that as an extended demo or something.

Snake Maze posted:

No, you can have multiple users linked to different nintendo accounts on the same switch. This is how you can easily buy games from different regions as well, you can just make a new nintendo account with its region set to hong kong or whatever, and then use that one when you open the eshop.

You can play the games with any user profile on the switch, not just the one that owns them, so you don't need to switch accounts to actually play stuff once it's on the system.

Awesome, that's... surprisingly generous of Nintendo. I don't think the guy really cares (he hadn't played it in a year according to the save files, and told me to help myself) so I reckon they'll be mine for the indefinite future.

That airplane mode trick works with Kindles and library books too :ninja:

Mister Facetious posted:

BORN TO SLOTH / WORLD IS A gently caress / Eat Em All 1989 / I am fat man / 410,757,864,530 BURNED CALORIES :getin:

lmao, had forgotten about Ring Fit, might give that a try if I see it pop up on Gumtree as I've heard a lot of good things.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 9, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think we forget to say it, but for everyone asking what games to get their kids, if you do have online just pop-open the SNES app and to a lesser degree the NES app. You have the best 2D platformers available on those platforms as well as some incredibly good games like Link to the Past and Super Metroid. The games we played when we were young are still pretty amazing, in particular the Nintendo offerings. And they're simple enough for a young kid to pick up and play. Mario Bros 3 or World are really intuitive.

The rewind feature is just the cherry on top, if they have any problems they can just rewind and try again or if they want to be less obvious about it they can use save states and just not lose lives, which in those games restart whenever you boot up.

It's 20 bucks a year, and for someone who has never played those games it's really worth it.

I had a hankering to play Super Mario World and almost bought an SNES Mini just to do it, but wound up getting a secondhand Switch and realised it made the Switch Online a no-brainer.

I also thought "maybe I'm better at Super Ghouls N Ghosts now that I'm in my mid 30s" and well, let's just say I only tested that hypothesis for about 10 minutes before getting a pretty definitive answer.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Best puzzle game I can think of is Baba Is You. It's brilliant

Seconding this, have it on PC and is a brilliant concept/execution. I've also tried the demo for Death Squared and it looks like a great co-op puzzler from the first couple levels we've played, although if I buy it I think we're going to have to play it on mute as my partner absolutely hates the dialogue/voice overs. I find them a little annoying but bearable.

Overcooked and its sequel aren't puzzle games, but fun co-op and approachable for non-gamers.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

After watching Link casually walk himself off a platform into a mud pit, and doing a bit of experimenting, looks like my left Joycon does have an intermittent drift issue :negative: It only seems to be with down, and mostly after I've just pushed the thumbstick in that direction. It is an occasional annoyance right now, but not making anything unplayable yet.

I'd send an enquiry to Nintendo, but:
1) The PO somehow managed to break off a little piece of plastic under the thumbstick, so I have a feeling they'd make me pay for the repair anyways since it is physically damaged.
2) Nintendo's repair centre for Australia is fully shut down thanks to Stage 4 lockdowns in Melbourne, so it's not like they could fix it now even if they wanted to.

I actually had ordered a replacement left thumbstick from China when I got it, but it'll probably be a month or two until it wends its way over here. I can get one in Australia for AU$14 so might just do that and keep the China one in reserve in case the right one starts playing up. I am reasonably confident I can handle the replacement on my own - I'm reasonably good at non solder-y stuff and already have all the tools I'd need from mucking around with camera lenses and other electronics.

I was also thinking I'd get the 8bitdo adapter to use a WiiU Pro controller like I'd mentioned before - just to confirm, if I get a Switch Pro controller down the line, I can do multiplayer with all three (Switch Pro, Wii U Pro, and Joycons) all at the same time, right?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

After a *lot* of hemming and hawing, I finally bought a WiiU over a Switch about a month or so ago on the basis of:
  • It'll replace my Wii on the TV shelf, which I can continue to use all the games/controllers for.
  • Less than half the price of a used Switch, most games like 1/2 to 1/3 the cost (I'm saving for a house).
  • Can still game in bed via the gamepad and wifi, ability to easily plug in headphones a big advantage over the classic Wii
  • A few exclusives I've never played like Pikmin 3 and Windwaker HD - also very keen to try Affordable Space Adventures.
  • I am a sucker for novel controls and UI, even if the gamepad is criminally underutilised by most titles
  • Not travelling anytime soon :smith:

Naturally, a stonkin' deal on secondhand Switch came up a few weeks later so I went ahead and bought that too. Mainly because:
  • If my friends overseas have a console it's a Switch, can't play any WiiU games with them
  • WiiU support's days are almost certainly numbered (eShop, online play)
  • New games that aren't Just Dance are being developed for the Switch
  • There are some ports I'd really like to have on the go (Sunless Seas/Skies, for example).
  • I got a fat tax refund and felt like I had to blow at least some of it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Real talk, if you have any remote interest in picking up a WiiU, whether collection, games or novelty, it's really best to do that now before the gamepads start dying. There were never any spares available in the wild, so that ratio of gamepad to console won't stay 1:1 forever.

Is this a thing? :ohdear: I can remember browsing the WiiU subreddit and someone asked if there was a reason to hang on to a spare gamepad, and the consensus seemed to be "it's only useful if yours breaks, which isn't too common".

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I would/could buy a Wii U let alone a PS4 if I had the space.

I don't know how much of a consideration it is for people, but the Switch is really small. And in apartments in major cities, space is at such a premium that it's a fantastic selling point.

Having lived in a studio apartment in Japan, all I can say is: you gotta build up.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 18, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Re: Subnautica announcement - I was Googling around a few weeks ago before I bought my Switch to see how likely a port was and the consensus was "don't hold your breath, it's bad enough on Xbox" :v:

Heck, even the PC version is a bit janky - my (granted a bit long in the tooth) i5 with 16GB of RAM, 4GB graphics card, and SSD still kinda lags sometimes when surfacing or exiting vehicles. It's also surprisingly buggy for a "final release" - the prawn suit (minor vehicle spoilers for something not in the trailer) has a habit of clipping into the ground and basically getting stuck, and I've fallen through the world once or twice.

With that said I slept on it until about six months ago, and it's now probably in one of my top 5 all-time games. Some things I like about it (almost as much as I like bulleted lists):
  • World is hand-crafted rather than procedurally generated - while this means the size is limited, "Are you sure whatever you're doing is worth it?" there's a lot more thought and care put into the environment.
  • A real sense of discovery and wonder - given how alien our own oceans can seem, it really gives a sort of Jacques Costeau vibe.
  • Cool vehicles you can craft, which allow you to dive deeper and open up new biomes
  • Fairly forgiving death mechanics - I'm looking at you, falling into a lava pool in Minecraft
  • Interesting backstory telling device with the found logs/audio files
  • A design ethos that doesn't really reward violence - there's a good War Stories on YouTube if you're interested.

Below Zero I bought and started playing after finishing the main game and I kinda regret that I did - it's very much a work in progress and I've missed a bunch of the new plot/voice work at this point. I like it and think it shows promise, although like most of the community so far I'm not really crazy about the bigger above-water components, though I personally don't mind the new sea truck the way everyone else seems to.

I will definitely be waiting until I read a few reviews from people who have played all the way through because I think there's a lot of potential for it to go pear-shaped, but if it's halfway decent you should definitely pick it up. The handful of mods available on PC are basically small QoL things so you're not missing out on much buying it on console.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could buy a secondhand PS3 to play Persona 5

My other console is a PS3 and holy hell are the games cheap. Like, I think AU$5 is the most I've paid for any game (The Last of Us), generally they slot in around ~$3/each buying 'em in bulk on Gumtree.

The convenience and coziness of gaming on the Switch is a such a big selling point though - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't as tempted by some of the $60 ports of stuff I already own as I am the new stuff.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

All rumors are fake, unless they turn out real and actually it was obvious and nobody ever denied it.

The only reliable source for Nintendo rumours is uncles who work there :colbert:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

Of the 5 games, it is the easiest port by far. The only stuff they have to change for the switch are the blow/touch puzzles. And that's only a handful of levels. Everything else is fine the way it is. The other 4 games all need a lot more work. At a minimum they all need their graphics reworked.

So we 99% chance get SM3dW.

Just dusted SM3D off (came with my Wii, haven't played it yet) on the advice of this thread - really enjoying it :3: I had to skip the Plessy level though, little jackass keeps sliding off the edge at a certain part.

The gamepad implementation feels a bit half-baked so far (which I understand is par for the course with most Wii U titles) - seems random and infrequent that using the touch stuff will reveal or do anything. I wind up feeling annoyed that I'm either spamming the touch trying to find something that probably isn't there, or playing normally and knowing I'm probably missing some stuff. It is sorta neat when you're having to pull the blocks out of the wall to create platforms to then jump on - that part feels like it should work fine with the Switch as long as you're not docked.

I can't be bothered blowing on the controller but have found running your finger over the mic works just as well. Waggle indeed.

But otherwise: game looks great, music and tone are really fun, and after a bit of getting used to the platforming controlls well. Having some friends over for a game night tonight so hoping I can try out the local multiplayer.

repiv posted:

very rarely, it hasn't budged from 15bux since january

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/stardew-valley

AU$65 for the physical version, Jesus wept.

It came with the account on my Switch so interested in giving it a go - have heard nothing but good things about it on PC.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 22, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just bought Super Mario 3d World for the WiiU and it's mental they haven't put this on Switch yet. It's so good.

Yeah, we had friends over last night and I gave them Super Mario Odyssey (which I know is also great) as a long-term loan because I'm enjoying SM3DW so much and know I'm not gonna be picking it up for a while. I'm also buying a few games on Gumtree today (DKC Tropical Freeze for Switch, and Splatoon/Captain Toad for Wii U) that should keep me busy for a while.

At the risk of turning this into a Wii U thread, we wound up playing a fair bit of Nintendo Land and Mario Kart 8. Nintendo Land is brilliant party game at AU$9 for a used disc on eBay if you've got a set of 4 Wiimotes already - it does a great job of using the gamepad to create asymetrical multiplayer experiences, although it was a little too asymetrical for our group of 4 - the gamepad person pretty much always won. It really highlights the promise (and disappointment) of the Wii U, I'd love a Switch port that used two Switches or something.

Mario Kart 8 still looks good and races are great fun, but battle mode is piss garbage compared to MK8 Deluxe on Switch. I have no idea why Nintendo thought people would want to zoom up and down the regular racetracks rather than play arenas, or would enjoy 90% of the powerups being bananas and green shells, but there you go. I also missed the various different battle modes (Shine Thief, the coin one, etc). It's definitely a skippable title if you already have Deluxe on Switch.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

RandomFerret posted:

The wii got that revision with the touch screen gamepad though

oooooOOOOOOHHHHHHH :argh:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Got my 8bitdo adapter in the post this arvo. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get it working to no avail - turned out it needed to be flashed with the latest firmware before it would work. Wii U Pro controller feels pretty good, have not actually used it before.

I also grabbed Sunless Seas from the eShop yesterday, since it's on sale and something my partner and I have sunk dozens of hours into on the PC. Initial impressions are that I'm a little annoyed at using the gamepad to navigate the menus as opposed to KB+M, but I'll give it a chance. I have been wanting to get back into its sequel, Sunless Skies and according to the subreddit that one should be dropping sometime in the near future.

If you like text-driven narratives (and a Victorian/Lovecraftian setting) I'd definitely recommend giving Seas a go. The combat is... not a major selling point, but in terms of atmosphere and writing it really excels. To be clear you are piloting a ship around an underground sea and engaging in real-time combat, but the plot unfolds basically entirely in text menus. Skies is bigger, has better combat and makes operating trade routes/inventory management far more forgiving, but does lose a bit of the dark, gloomy atmosphere that makes Seas so unforgettable. Still a beautiful game, mind you.

Currently deciding whether Moving Out is worth paying the Switch tax - basically another 50% more than the current Steam sale price. Have really enjoyed Overcooked 1+2 on PC and getting towards the end of the latter.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Item Getter posted:

Moving Out is fun on co-op on the earlier levels, though the later levels get incredibly difficult and I got into a lot of fights over them leading us to kind of give up a few levels before the end. Though I've heard the same thing about Overcooked (and it made me avoid getting them even though they're widely regarded as good) so if it's not a problem for you in that game then maybe it's fine.
I assume that you are playing on PC with local co-op and using controllers but if not then it would probably be worth it to get the Switch version for that.

Windbound comes out on the 28th and looks like it has a really nice BOTW/Wind Waker-esque vibe, though not sure if I will like it if it has a really heavy emphasis on Crafting/resource gathering survival game stuff. If anyone is aiming to get it I'm curious to hear some impressions of it.

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad. We definitely had a few fights/sulks (usually when there are narrow spots we're both trying to get through) but overall it's a pretty positive and fun experience. My partner hates cooking and is not really much of one for gaming, but she loves Overcooked.

I do have an embarassment of controllers for my PC so it's more "would I want to play this while on a weekend away"?

Edit: didn't realise there's a demo, gonna try that out!

Windbound looks interesting - kind of a BOTW and Raft mashup.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Looks like Overcooked and Overcooked 2 are on sale at the eShop - I definitely recommend them if you're after a couch co-op title that's accessible to non-gamers. The first game is an absolute steal at less than US$7, the second one is essentially more of the same with a few new things thrown in (definitely worth it if you enjoy the first one), including online multiplayer.

The developer is working on a remastered 4k collection combing the two games + DLC and adding a few things in, but at this point is only looking to release it on next-gen consoles (PS5/Xbox), so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying it on Switch.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 4, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Rad Valtar posted:

Its so good, me and my 4 year old still play it on our WiiU.

Gotta say my daughter and me are still getting tons on mileage out of our WiiU. She consistently plays 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and I’ve been showing her Wind Waker.

I have started Wind Waker (just got the boat) but had to put it away for now - we are still coming out of winter down here in the southern hemisphere and finding that it really clashes with the summery pallette and vibe.

Looking forward to pulling it out when I'm off work around Christmas :shobon: Got BotW to last me until then.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Cuphead worth it for single player

I didn't get very far in it on PC (because I'm not that great at video games) but if you like the idea of a tough but fair platformer with a distinctive old timey aesthetic/soundtrack, go for it.

I'd probably be willing to give it another chance on Switch if it drops really cheap in the eShop someday. I've gotta say, the Switch is particularly well-designed around the principle of minimising the friction between "thinking you might want to play a game" and then doing so. There are so many things in my backlog that I can't be bothered booting up on PC/PS3/Wii but would likely be working through right now if I had them on Switch. Paying $60 for something I already own is the sticking point though.

Human brains are weird.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I was feeling very burned out (on life) last night and played through Donut Country in a sitting. Objectively, I'd probably give it a 6.5/10 - there is a puzzle element but I'd say fully 80% of the game is straightforward, without requiring a lot of thinking or skill. The music works pretty well and the art style is competent, although I wasn't a huge fan of the writing; it tries to be funny but winds up coming off rather twee.

Regardless, a chill, low-stakes win was exactly what I needed and I'd happily recommend picking it up at its current sale price. Save it for a rainy day.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 7, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is the 8bitdo controller adapter in the OP the best product if I want to use an Xbone controller with a Switch? I'm trying to be a cheapskate here, so I'm curious if there are reputable adapters that cost less than the $20 the 8bitdo one goes for :v:

I've been happy with it so far for a Wii U Pro controller. It's worth noting you can only pair one controller per adapter, so it'll be twenty bucks a throw if you want to add additional third party controllers.

I also had to download new firmware and update the 8bitdo stick before it would work.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

notthegoatseguy posted:

I haven't experienced it myself but I remember reading at the time that the problems can occur. This thread says drift issues should be fixed at no charge. My only concern would be if Nintendo forces people to do a wipe on their Lites, which would obviously be an issue if they have save data not backed up elsewhere like Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

If you are in Australia, nobody's getting joycons fixed because the Nintendo service centre is at ground zero for Melbourne's lockdowns :smith:

abelwingnut posted:

what's the general consensus on untitled goose game? looks unique, at least. also a physical version coming out in a couple of weeks.

It looks like a hoot, esp with multiplayer, though it's not terribly long. Have been holding off on it (because I didn't have a Switch before, and didn't want an Epic games account) but plan on buying it soon. Didn't realise there was a physical version, might pick that up if it's not too much.

edit: lmao it costs twice as much as digital, NEVERMIND.

edit 2: if there was ever a game that would get even better with a Battle Royale mode...

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Re DKC chat - I picked up a secondhand copy of Tropical Freeze locally a few weeks ago and despite a session or two it's really not grabbing me.

Wondered if I just had outgrown Donkey Kong Country so I booted up DKC1 in Nintendo Online and nope, still as fun as I remember in middle school (and soundtrack still slaps).

BOTW didn't really gel for me until I randomly picked it up again a month later and powered through the plateau and now it's all "one more shrine...", so I'll give Tropical Freeze some time.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Fallom posted:

Bought Ori 2 and Hades

Time to recover from this shoulder surgery like a pro

Switch Pro confirmed, you heard it here first folks!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I did not buy 3D All Stars but I am definitely getting $50 worth of enjoyment reading all of the hyperbolic takes ITT.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

pospysyl posted:

On Hades: I hate that Supergiant Games needs to put a millenial uptalk character?

What's up talk?

DAMNIT.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Unlocked all of the map towers in BOTW :toot:

I'm still toodling around and doing the odd shrine (or murdering Bokoblins in their sleep) - what sort of stuff should I have/do before I start trying to take on the 4 bosses? I've only got 6 hearts and +2 stamina ATM.

Pockyless posted:

Witcher 3 for switch runs incredibly well considering how big of a game it is, so that gives me hope for cyberpunk. There is also a nice feature when you can sync saves between the switch and Steam cloud so you can play on PC or Switch depending on how you are feeling.

Did not know about this - definitely more interested in the Switch version now!

Weedle posted:

i don't remember ps2 owners getting mad that they didn't get free ps3 versions of their ps2 games

The PS3 launched 14 years ago, when digital distribution was not nearly as big of a thing. I reckon there's a significant psychological difference between feeling of entitlement to a digital download vs physical media.

Also the launch PS3 was backwards compatible with PS2 titles at least.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Personally, I'd like to see something like the expansions of yore (Sega 32X, Nintendo Expansion Pak) that either slots into or replaces the existing dock and provide extra processing power. The Switch could then become a Wii U style gamepad that communicates with the dock by wifi - this would also enable some lazy Wii U ports and who knows, maybe they'd even de-nerf the Sheikah Slate in BOTW with a patch.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can still can't figure out why the Switch Lite doesn't have TV out. Given that it has the USB-C plug either way, is the other software and hardware necessary for that really so bulky or expensive? Or was it a marketing reason to keep certain people from buying it for some reason I don't understand?

Some people have mentioned the hardware limitations and I think that's part of it, but yeah also I reckon at least some of it is product segmentation.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Got Goose game and the novelty lasted about 15 minutes for me. Oh well.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Hedrigall posted:

The Hobbit went downhill so badly but the first film is really good and everything with Smaug in the second is perfect

I haven’t seen They Shall Not Grow Old

There are some really good fan edits out there of The Hobbit trilogy - my partner and I watched The Maple Films one and didn't feel like we missed anything of value (I think it clocks in around 4 hours).

Really liked They Shall Not Grow Old but I'm a history dork.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More of a swan song for the 3DS I felt, especially since it actually managed to incorporate all its hardware gimmicks in an interesting way. Playing All Mixed Up where you're switching between buttons, touchscreen, tilt controls and occasionally microphone was definitely a wild experience. Certainly a difficult thing to top.

And game design was very different in the days before devs were terrified that players might miss something and practically drag players along a predetermined path to the credits.

I'd be interested to hear more about this - I've been keeping an eye on local secondhand markets for a 3DS or 2DS. I've got Smooth Moves on the Wii and it was pretty fun.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Chronojam posted:

You also owned a Wii U

:getout:

Owning a Wii U is a badge of pride.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Solar Tornado posted:

I was gonna make a long effortpost about currently playing FF7, but I started having this though that no one would really read it in the Switch thread, and that the main point I wanted to make was:

I love how every scenery is like walking through a painting, but my god how did people tolerate the forced perspective :gonk:

If you haven't read it, there was a massive multi-year Let's Play thread a goon did that had a tonne of awesome history, lore, making-of, etc.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd read it. I played FF7 for the first time this year and it was real good. People call it over-rated but I disagree. I think it holds up quite well, it has an interesting plot, some good characters, that are often underused, great music, and some very cool aspects to it, like the weird horrors that are a lot of the monsters (was this a choice or a limit of artists working in 3D because later monsters in 8 and 9 look more like things).

Honest, FF7 is a real good game, and I would argue that I only prefer 6 since I played it first (though 6 has the better story in that it's more cohesive from being less ambitious, as the best FF villain, and has a second half that is just unparalleled in the genre. Also it's better scored even if the soundtrack isn't quite as good. It does a much better job of using its massive cast, 14 characters!, than 7 manages with just 9).

Post your opinions!

Both 6 and 7 I really like - I can remember getting my parents to finally upgrade our aging 486 to a Pentium 166 (that could still barely run the PC version of FF7), and being disappointed by the MIDI soundtrack but still playing it through to the third disk. I played through almost all of 6 on an emulator back in high school, think I might even have my old save state somewhere but not sure it'd still work.

I'm very tempted to get 7 on sale at that price, but realistically I'd be more interested in seeing what the remake is like rather than re-treading old ground. IDK if we'll ever see a Switch port though - could do PC when that comes out but I find lots of stuff just languishes in my library after I buy it.

The artwork revamp on the mobile port of 6 is Very Bad and I don't think I'd play it even if it was free.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Dang, is Oct 1 here in Australia but still not available. :(

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Hahaha, Mario 35 is fun. I am not really nostalgic for the original at all (never had an NES) but I can see how this would be both incredibly fun and validating for OG Mario players.

So far best I've managed is 15th, because I'm pretty trash at platformers and fighting some muscle memory from other recent games. Not sure if it's a good strategy per se, but I've been extra slow/careful until I get the fire flower then just start spamming roasted Goombas at everyone.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 1, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DaveKap posted:

Is anyone, anywhere, theorizing on how the rules of Mario 35 work? There's some weird poo poo that doesn't make a lot of sense (like how you unlock more stages) that I'm trying to figure out but can't find any discussion of it because it's just too new. I'm certain there are gonna be a lot of weird little tips for getting KOs (the hardest thing to do) and bettering your single run coin score because of all those little tips you'd need to do well at Tetris 99.

That said, I've won 3 games already and although it's not quite as satisfying as Tetris 99 wins and the rounds and go on forever, it is at least a lower-stakes, calmer game which I am enjoying. Plus getting a star and plowing through three bowsers is just really satisfying.

Yeah I am not really sure what I'm supposed to be prioritising:

• Get as many coins as possible?
  • Get as fast a time as possible?
  • Survive as long as possible/screw over opponents?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Edit: Is there anything else your big total of coins is used for other than the "start with powerup" option? Wondering if I should be trying to increase the total as much as possible and starting as regular or just big Mario, or settling for slow growth starting with big mario or fire flower.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: If it does get reversed and we keep it they need to add custom courses and snifits and stuff. Sure there's a wave of goombas marchin' around but I can just jump on them all super easy without touching the ground completely invalidating them in a lot of stages. If I get hit I just spend 20 of my like 500 coins to get a free fire flower.

Hey, someone with an uncle who works at Nintendo, add a Mario 35 game mode to Mario Maker 2 as DLC.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 1, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

this is after the digital shift. demos continue to reduce sales. you know what increases sales? ~~~refunds~~~

the mechanism is literally the exact same. player buys the game to demo it, considers getting a refund, gently caress it too much work. im sorry but human nature has not changed in the past ten years

Nintendo's eShop doesn't have refunds though, does it? At least here in Australia, you're stuck with it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

*Strange as it sounds, I really do miss the Wii U tablet. Pikmin probably used it best of any Wii U game. It ultimately boiled down to a map but the way it was integrated into the game was really cool, and probably what they were going for with the Sheikah Slate in BotW before they decided to put it on the Switch as well. Having those phone conversations and hints downloads right to your tablet, being able to move your map while looking at the screen, using the radar and “Move Here” function while still controlling the game, I was totally in love with that implementation and it will be missed.

The WiiU gamepad is Good Actually and suffers mostly from being neglected by devs who didn't want to cater to the Wii U's unique hardware (see also: 3DS). I don't really blame them given the relative economies of scale of porting stuff across generic platforms, but doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see more creative uses of the second screen. The Switch does a pretty masterful job of being similarly unique hardware but that also lends itself to easier ports, graphics-intensive AAA games aside.

Speaking of the Wii U gamepad: Splatoon does an OK job of using the gamepad with the minimap, and NintendoLand does a very good job if you're in to asymmetric multiplayer - have heard Mario Party 10 has some similar features but haven't tried it yet. Affordable Space Adventures is supposed to be another one with a pretty original implementation of the gamepad and I'm planning to try that one out some weekend.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Pikmin still stresses me out when I see my little buddies die. If only they had less personality and made less cute noises!

Yeah that is unfortunately what has sunk Pikmin 3 (Wii U) as a game to play with my partner - she can't stand it when the little guys die :smith:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Tubgoat posted:

Finally got Breath of the Wild because a pawn shop had it and GOD drat this is nuts! Have spent like 20 minutes total playing Master Chef: Hyrule Edition and about twice as long trying to get those apples from the very top branches.

Beginning made me a little self-conscious of latestage capitalism when the first thing you do on waking is receive a frigging tablet computer!

If you are lazy, you can use chop them down (or laziest way: use a bomb) which gets you all the apples plus some wood.

I have little attachment to the Zelda series (played through maybe 40% of A Link to the Past on an emulator in college?) so I slept on BOTW for like a month or so even though it came with my secondhand Switch.

Once I actually played it and got off the noob plateau it really hooked me, it definitely deserves all the praise. I also have Windwaker HD on my Wii U that I'm waiting until summer (:australia:) to try out.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Donut County is a cute game that could work too and maybe A short hike if again she gets console controls.

This got me thinking: puzzle games would probably be a good genre to introduce her with. Baba is You is great, there are probably a bunch of other lighter (easier) ones available too.

Maybe Stardew Valley as well although I haven't played it myself.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Re: Pikmin chat, I was picking up a stonkin' deal on various gaming peripherals this morning and the guy was like "oh yeah I found these games too, you interested in any of them?" - now the proud owner of a near-mint copy of Pikmin 2 for Wii for a measley AUD$10 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

night slime posted:

1-2 Switch is pretty basic for that age. Maybe Kirby Star Allies or the NES/SNES kirby games too. Yoshi's Crafted World is pretty easy and has a no-death mode as well iirc.

I was going to suggest this one too - seems like a throwback to the experimental days of motion controls. I picked it up last weekend but haven't tried it out yet, want to go in blind next time my mate with a Switch brings his along.

Speaking of motion controls, you can pick up a secondhand Wii for pretty much pennies these days, and the games are generally really cheap as well. If my local market is any indication, for a hundred bucks you should be able to score a console with two Wiimotes and about a dozen games (of varying quality).

I also see people practically giving away Xbox 360s with Kinect, which has the added bonus of not putting your TV potentially in the path of a flying Wiimote. I think the quality of a lot of the Kinect games is... not great, but for a kid I think it might be pretty appealing.