Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Mega Man kills Wily in 7. I beat it a while ago, he says now he's gonna do what he should have done a long time ago and he charges his buster. My power went out then but I assume Dr Wily is killed. I assume Mega Man 8 is about Mr X again

What's funny is during that scene dr wily is like "now now megaman you know robots cannot harm humans", but during the fight before when dr wily was in the two legged skull machine, you literally shoot dr wily himself, in the face, to beat him. I think that's the first time you ever directly shoot dr wily, it's really weird. He reacts in pain and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Nintendo patented a phone case with physical game boy controls that interface with the touch screen and a little window for gameplay

If they have a GBFLIX service for phone.... jeez I might

Gameboy is this real weird sweet spot for me where the games are relatively simple but super engaging. I can't really describe it but man a GBflix would be awesome. Or a Gameboy classic.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

velvet milkman posted:

finally got around to playing dk tropical freeze and holy poo poo this game is extremely good. it's also pretty hard. every level seems to have a distinct theme and new art assets, it's really impressive stuff.

level 3-1 with the music and the bobbing giraffe heads was like video game ecstasy for me, just absolutely perfect

Its the type of game that feels much easier on a replay, and you pick up on even more details the second time through. It is truly an excellent game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

Mega Man X would like a word with you...

Anyway, speaking of Mega Man, having some regrets over buying Mega Man 11. Not necessarily due to the game itself, because it's great, it's just really short for the price. The double gear system practically feels like a cheat mode though.

I get it, MM11 is probably a game I'll come back to and play several more times over the years, but it feels like I paid way too much for a 4 hour game. Even though I think I paid $32 with my prime discount, I can't help but feel like for $15 you could get MM Legacy Collection 1 and 2, or the X collection, and have more hours of fun for the same amount of money.

For what its worth they have a bundle now, all 4 legacy collections and mm11 for $60. That's a pretty good deal but like a sucker I already bought all the legacy collections and mm11 :mad:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

whoa whoa whoa... seriously? Son of a bitch, I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Is that on the eShop?

I cant check now...I know it's on psn and xbox live. But the article I read said they were pretty sure it's on steam and switch too but you need to check (?)

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/10/02/mega-man-30th-anniversary-bundle-all-platform

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The back of the box even says the legend of zelda is the most challenging video game they've ever created !

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Haven't been reading the thread lately. Is there a post for dark souls newbies with info on how to make a character or what gift to select or whatever

I'm sure this has been mentioned but they used playstation button layout, so B confirms and A cancels. But when you need to enter a name it pops up the switch keyboard which uses the Nintendo format of A confirms B cancels. Lol come on guys

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the dark souls advice, guys. I really like getting into areas I'm not supposed to be in and getting my rear end kicked, so I ended up going with the master key (against my better judgement). Games cool so far

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Im playing through dark souls for the first time, and both "inside", and "keep talking and nobody explodes" were on sale recently (might still be on sale?) so I grabbed them...but I'm getting more and more hyped for starlink now. Too many loving games!

Edit oh yeah and my gaming group is getting diablo 3 as well, so another one for the pile. Too many loving games!!!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Ignite Memories posted:

KTaNE is a fantastic drinking game, IMO. It helps if you role play a little

Good to know, I cant wait to take it to family Thanksgiving. Drinks will be had!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder how dark souls switch sales compare to the other consoles?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm playing through dark souls for the first time and I am enjoying it quite a bit, but I need to ask: do later games clean up some of the jank? The camera is loving atrocious and has caused my death several times, terrain geometry is poorly communicated, the enemy ai is...something else...

Like I said, I'm enjoying it, it's just a lot rougher around the edges than I expected from years of hearing how great it is

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

There is some jank in the game, yea. But TBH it's never bothered me because the majority of the game is the best game and I don't notice it. The camera can get weird especially in tight areas. What have you noticed about enemy AI? It's never done anything to make me question it. Feels like a video game to me. I'm not arguing with you if it's an issue or not I'm just curious.

The ai issues I've seen are generally silly stuff, like getting caught up on the geometry, or climbing a few rungs on a ladder only to start climbing down, then up then down a couple times until finally deciding to climb to the top. Weird stuff like that. It's all the more noticable when I get killed over and over and go through the same enemies repeatedly; their behavioral inconsistencies start to stand out.

I went through a big hollow tree last night and the camera would suddenly shift to the side as I walked along a narrow branch. Suddenly pressing up on the stick meant a sharp turn to the right = splat. I lost my vast fortune of 20k souls that way :mad:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I came so close to buying the $80 starlink package so many times. Phew!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I have a gaggle of 7 nieces and nephews, aged 6 - 12. If I showed up at Christmas with a labo and said "hey guys let's put this together" would that be suicide? Is there a way to make it by dividing up jobs and have everyone work on it or do you need to do one step at a time in order?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

One step at a time in order.

Theoretically if you had all the instructions you could hand them out but there's no way to do that

TheScott2K posted:

They're gonna watch you build it, just like my nephew who wanted to play with a robot arm but only had a collection of pieces of a robot arm

Hmm, noted. Thanks.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Spectral Debt posted:

Worm’s Armageddon, Limbo, Braid, the Witness

Eshop has Inside, fwiw

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Turns out adventures of lolo was in the NES app thing. Played through it in 2 sessions. Now I want lolo 2 and 3 but they dont seem to be available in the 3ds virtual console...loving hell I want them SO BAD, just GIVE ME LOLO 2 AND 3 NINTENDO

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Shammypants posted:

I love to support indy developers or near indy developers, but I have never played a NMH title and the new one looks kind of disjointed and bad. I know it has a strong cult following but are these good games? Do the controls feel good, is the music good? I've never seen games have 9/10 reviews and 3/10 reviews from major outlets.

Grasshopper mfg's motto, "punks not dead", appears on the logo when their games boot up. And yeah its fitting, they make "punk" video games inasmuch as the games are rough around the edges but you can tell there's passion behind it all. Gameplay is adequate but the charm/personality of the games are what really make them worthwhile, imo.

Music is often bizarre but usually a high point of the games. Controls are usually adequate but there are often issues (anyone remember jumping as shinobu in NMH2??). I mean there are times you have to outright power through a bad section of the games. Having said all that, NMH and NMH2 are 2 of the most memorable games I've ever played, and for my money that really stands for something.

I liked shadows of the damned and killer 7. Never played that chainsaw lollipop game.

As for travis strikes back...I havent seen anything that really interests me in the game, but I might check it out anyway just due to...loyalty? I guess?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

From a few pages ago, but No Reload Heroes is pretty dang fun coop for the price

Dang for a second there I thought you were referring to Travis Strikes Again via a cute jokey name, but then I remembered there actually is a game called no reload heroes

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Aw dang I want steamworld heist 2 dammit. Not too keen on card based games, but image and form have never led me astray, so I'm gonna day 1 it

I need a new tactics game and I see achtung cthulhu tactics is getting released tomorrow for $25, is that a good game?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Wasn't retro making a star fox racing game or was that someone else

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

Holding to bop is trash anyway. It shouldn't exist. Time that poo poo right or gtfo.

Tropical freeze had some interesting way to bop off enemies. I can't quite remember the specifics, but I think it was something like you had to hold the button after the peak of your jump to get the bop effect? Someone help me out here. I remember it took a little while for me to get the hang of

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They added a pretty surprising Chozo plot element in Samus Returns...but I dont know how they could really follow up meaningfully.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Zuzie posted:

As someone who isn't a Metroid fan, I find it quite strange how restrictive the Metroid series is when it comes to story. People prefer having no other "human" characters apart from Samus herself? This kind of runs opposite of what Mario fans want from their respective series.

Well I mean one of the core characteristics of a metroid game is usually a sense of isolation, it's natural for that to be a part of the story. Plus the only time we've really gotten lots of other human characters was in Other M, where Adam actively restricted the gameplay. It was not a positive experience!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Prequel where we see the chozo instill their sovereign citizen values in Samus, then flash forward to post fusion where she teams up with Ridley to take down the federation

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A Last of Us style story where an aging fugitive Samus must pass the torch to her son, Bradley Aran. Features emotional scenes of Samus talking to her long dead commander Adam. "I cant do this alone, Adam. God I wish you were here!"

(note, Adam is not Bradley's father, it turns out Bradley is a clone made by the space pirates using Samus and metroid DNA, which gives him super powers.)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone who hasn't played ff9 should do so. It's a great game with compelling characters. It's really something special.

I do what I want! You have problem?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If its prime trilogy, they should've announced when they did the prime 4 video. Sorry guys, we need to start over with prime 4, but in the meantime heres the first three games, portable

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Before the Direct makes this thread explode, are there any hot tips for Into the Breach? I’ve beaten it once with the default team after two islands (I’ve only unlocked Blitz so far) but am otherwise fairly bad.

I recommend playing on easy until you pick up on some tactics. There's a lot of nuance to the game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As Miyamoto says, a delayed game is (or can be) eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.

That's not true, we can release it now and patch it later. We got a deadline to meet!!!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So bayonetta changed her hair between the first and second games. My prediction: she shaves her head for bayo 3, but also she stops shaving her legs and that's where her hair powers come from. Or maybe she has a hairy back

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

I wish Effect was on something more then just the PS4.

I played tetris effect during the free weekend and if it makes you feel any better I didnt like how there was too much stuff flashing on the screen, making it hard for my old dusty brain to keep track of what I was looking at. I mean the game was ok but it ultimately felt like a slightly better version of lumines.

Then i tried effect mode where it throws random obstacles in your face while you're trying to just complete some stinking lines. Definitely not a chill experience for me.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Well it depends on what you didnt like about 8, but 9 has endearing characters and a lotta heart. Its a good game.

It was meant to be square's fond farewell to the older style final fantasies and sort of a love letter before moving on to ffx on the ps2

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I hope links awakening doesnt have those stupid horse heads you have to keep throwing until they land upright, what a waste of time. Those guys with the cycling card suits that you had to match were no picnic either

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ohhyeah posted:

I was a huge fan of The Witness last year, but it doesn’t look like it’s coming to the switch. Could anyone recommend something similar to scratch the puzzle game itch? I liked the puzzles, exploring the island, and the overall atmosphere.

I never played the witness but for a puzzle game I recommend into the breach. It's a tactics game but plays more like a puzzler. I'm pretty sure it's not at all similar to the witness, you don't wander around and explore, etc. But I wanted to take this opportunity to recommend it anyway because it's a fantastic game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They better port RE5 drat it, some of my best gaming memories consist of playing that online with a friend. Capcom, I can personally guarantee 2 sales if you port it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Nintendo's going to surprise announce resident evil 99, where a bunch of players have to QTE against each other

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

I bought my Brother In Law's Switch, he got it at launch but never really played it. It's coming with Breath Of The Wild. What's 3 other games I should get? Multiplayer is preferable, trying to get my non-gamer boyfriend to play with me. Not too interested in online multiplayer.

overcooked 2, but be advised it gets frantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What are you guys talking about, you unlock Netflix by getting 1000 jumps in the Mario oddysey jump rope minigame