Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wound up ordering a lite because I got my wife a switch and botw for her birthday and I picked it up one night while she was sleeping and it's a friggin good game and she got some powerful 'marge getting a bowling ball engraved with homer engraved on it' vibes when she found me in the morning with it. I haven't owned a Nintendo since the 64 so I have a lot of back catalogue to catch up on, do Nintendo have a game subscription service for older stuff or do you just have to buy games as they are? It looks like the online sub comes with a nes and SNES catalogue which is cool and worth it but I'm thinking more GameCube/Wii era stuff that might not have gotten a proper switch remake

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I am not sure I really want to pick up 3d all stars just because I hated what I played of sunshine. I assume there isn't a standalone version of galaxy 1 available at this point which is a bummer because it looks cool. Might just keep an eye on if it goes on special who knows I might be one of those dickheads that thinks sunshine was good

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I haven't played galaxy and I really want to but I can absolutely wait a while to find a cheap as dirt physical copy of 3d all stars at a garage sale or something

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I have a lot of feelings about how poorly Mario 64 has aged for a game that was absolutely iconic and definitive of its time but I'm new to the thread so I'll try to keep it in my pants until Ive been here a while

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Same but opposite. X is for me how I'd check a box, and 0 signifies empty or Zero or nothing in mind.

I always thought it was weird the way electrical equipment used a circle for 'off' when a circle also represents an active circuit. In conclusion human iconography is weird and subjective

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's amazing. I think it's my favourite of the old ones. The port is really excellent.

:same: I never got hardcore into multiplayer or modding so doom 64 was always my favourite, just an absolute ripper of a single player game out of the box

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Mostly thought I was getting a switch for indie ports but it's 4am and I'm making disgusting progress on botw and am thinking about cruising for some second hand copies of bigger first party stuff. Mario odyssey seems like a safe buy, are any of the 2d mario games worth it? Also bitterly disappointed at the lack of any good skate games for the system. Really hoping those data dumps that hinted at a Tony hawk port were accurate

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Mega64 posted:

Metroidvanias peaked with Link to the Past.

Can't find the Kelly frame that gets used as an avatar but pretend I posted the 'sickos' guy going 'yes yes yes!!!'

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

How does the dark souls port play in hand held mode? I should probably try it at some point. I hate myself a lot which has always seemed like the common thread between all the people I know who are v into souls games

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The NES period is kind of earmarked by a lot of arcade game designs crammed into games that don't necessarily have a reason to have them. A lot of modern 'arcade game' gameplay design principles were sort of figured out by a process of trial and error over the next few generations and the NES really aged the worst out of any of them as a result.

:350:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I thought Nier automata had a cool system where rather than just setting a difficulty mode you had modules that made certain tasks automated in combat. I don't know if that was the intention but it meant that it was a way more accessible game for my disabled wife as well has having a decently challenging combat system

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm having a bad day so I smoked a lot of weed and downloaded the katamari rerolled demo because I've never played any of them before and holy crap this is exactly what I needed it rules a lot thank you king katamari

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I see a lot of copies of Luigi's mansion 3 for sale like it was Mario vs sonic at the Olympics or something much much worse. I was surprised to hear it was so good just because I see it in bargain bins constantly.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

BOTW really is just a great game. I didn't think it'd get me because I'm not generally too enraptured with sandbox games but it got me absolutely hooked, even a few years after its release.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I bought the full version of katamari and it has a proper tutorial thank gently caress. I thought the controls were just bad but it turns out I had no idea what I was doing. I can absolutely see why people go nuts for this soundtrack, i'm only three levels in but it absolutely kicks a lot of rear end so far

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

High level tennis game opinions itt... Gonna sit back and let the big dogs sort this one out, way beyond my kenning

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Rabelais D posted:

I'm a bit shocked that my taking Mario Tennis very seriously is seen as a big joke

I don't believe you take it that seriously if you don't even put a full paragraph into the competitive scene

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Martman posted:

Personally I think it's bullshit that Mario lets me run just by holding a button, part of the challenge should come from me mashing 2 buttons to operate each leg

Yeah I agree death stranding was incredible and probably the game of the decade

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I know we are all making funny posts about overuse of immersion in games but I would play a GTA game that was essentially gran Turismo for the driving segments but I am aware that game would be a total failure. I also really really like death stranding even though it's loving stupid as hell

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Mega64 posted:

I'd play a Tomb Raider game where Lara gets breast cancer.

This actually explains a lot about the incongruent physical appearance across the series

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I really wish there was a way to rebind buttons in mariokart, I know having triggers as acceleration/braking doesn't mean poo poo without analogue triggers but it's been way too long since I played a racing game that didn't use that control method and I'm struggling to get back into it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Walla posted:

You can rebind buttons on the Switch. I think you can even set up a few different control schemes.

I think I know what you mean tbh, someone mentioned the feature to me when I was talking to them about how the button layout is foreign to me as an xbox dude, presumably its somewhere in the controller or system menus of the switch and you're not referring to ingame button mapping, right?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I respect the urge to play age of calamity just for more botw lore but lucky for me I'm still playing through it for the first time and living in a world of wonder and aerial bombing heavy duty environmental vandalism

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm sort of approaching the end game of botw and I only just bothered to interact with the horse mechanic BC I have the typical goon seething hatred of horses both irl living in spelling country and as a gameplay feature. It's actually not super obnoxious and I wish I'd used it for hunting earlier because horse archery feels really good with motion controls

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Teratrain posted:

Anyone know when Age of Calamity is gonna unlock?

I woke up and it was available local time Friday 8 am so presumably if it isn't unlocked in your region already that's a good bet I reckon

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also, lol, this is the second incredibly weird take on BotW in as many days, after some guy in GBS was complaining about the climbing mechanic making the gameworld too effortless to navigate

I don't understand why my take is weird since I liked it in botw and horses are literally elves irl or how this other dude managed to avoid rainfall the second he tried to scale literally anything

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I just saw a video of the flying minecarts trick in botw and that's all I've been doing to do for the last hour

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Violet_Sky posted:

I hope you can pet the doggos in BOTW2

Throwing hundreds of bird parts at them for love hearts even when you've already got their treasure is all the reward I need and basically identical to the experience of owning a sheep dog. They don't want pats when they're on the clock they want juicy meat.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

my preferred fishing is BotW, bomb-based

look at this poor hylian that can't afford shock arrows

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wildtortilla posted:

Is it safe to assume DLC works by these same rules? Meaning I can buy the DLC, pop the BOTW cart in her Switch, and she can play with her account and access the DLC too?

A friend did the account share thing you describe for me and Mrs turnbeug and when I bought the dlc (we have two carts) it didn't work on her account so she went to buy it and the store wouldn't allow her so I had to unlink my account from her console, she bought the dlc and then we linked them up again. I'm unclear if this was horribly inefficient or just how it works when you do that because I wasn't really part of the process but that's more or less how it played out for me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Got a copy of odyssey arriving sometime this week, dunno if I'll actually get botw finished before it gets here, Hyrule Castle seems very confusing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm looking at the 14 dollar Okami that I already own in steam and was halfway through playing when I got a switch and just giving myself a gentle electric shock everytime I spend too long looking at it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hedrigall posted:

(That’s $42.29 in usd to make all the Amerigoons jealous)

I don't know how effective that will be looking at the eshop discounts they got for Thanksgiving

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I saw crash team racing for like 20 bucks aud hard copy today but I didn't pick it up BC the only thing I ever heard about that game was it launched with a bunch of GAAS bloat that got fixed eventually. Kind of mad at myself now BC Diddy Kong racing is better than any Mario kart game imo and I'll yell that louder and louder at anyone who tries to tell me otherwise

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bioshock infinite would actually be pretty fun on the switch I think. It's a weird game for sure and I don't blame anyone for not liking it but if you like those house of the dead style rail shooters it's pretty good

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

If you saw how much time I've put into death stranding you would know a coherent well written plot is worthless to me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It also has a bizarrely cowardly centrist view on things.

Can't argue with this but also I'm having trouble thinking of any AAA game with a clear political position that this doesn't apply to

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Fair point about Wolfenstein however

well why not posted:

Nier Automata lmao

I'm going to kick your rear end for implying nihilism is a political position bro.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Unreal_One posted:

There are approximately 5000 Calls of Duty and that ilk which have an extremely pro-US military intervention political position.

We can take this to cspam if you want but I'm not sure we have the same definition of centrism if it doesn't encompass us military hegemony

Sorry everyone I'm trying to delete it

Augus posted:

Nier Automata is not nihilist

Way more interested in dragging this post out kicking and screaming and wanting to know if you think nihilism and humanism are mutually exclusive or not. I played it two years after it came out so I missed out on 'the discourse' and desperately crave it

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm really mad that you all seem to have a depressing view of what nihilism is because the game spent a lot of time laying the groundwork for a thorough exploration of exactly how nihilism can be uplifting and humanist and why that rules