Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Apologies if this has been discussed recently and I missed it-- if my wife has Nintendo Online on her account and I don't have it on mine, if I buy a Switch Lite and use my account as the primary and hers on the secondary can I play her games? We hadn't planned on buying a second Switch so we've been buying all the games on her account since we bought the first Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks a lot guys I clicked that link to look at the video of the Satisfye grip and my suggested videos are all now white guys with beards smirking next to a Switch Lite with a sad face on it that remind me of the Rob Whisman "uber driver sucked me off???" tweet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My wife is playing LA and I am laughing insanely at the new "BowWow is Missing" music. I don't know why but it's the funniest thing I've ever heard in conjunction with the kids running around and freaking out

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How did friends of Ringo Ishikawa end up? I'm a huge mark for the weird SNES-era Kunio games (like the one where Kunio gets framed for murder and thrown in jail) but it looks like it could be kind of a one trick pony.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I liked 3ds gyro for fine movement, move the crosshairs to nearish your target and then adjust with gyro. I feel the same way about BotW in portable.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am 34 and am 4 divine beasts into BotW and I still get regularly tromped by random groups of monsters out in the world. I might really really suck and kids are probably better at games than I am, but I think I would find it pretty frustrating as a kid.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Regy Rusty posted:

You should basically be impossible to kill at this point in the game if you've got any decent armor at all.

Kids can handle BOTW.

Maybe lack of armor is my problem, I've been trucking around with twice-upgraded Champions Tunic (I haven't found a material I need to upgrade it again) but higher level lizalfos regularly two-shot me. I've been trying not to Google poo poo very much, but what armor should I be looking for?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, I will go poking around for those. It's funny, I find the guardians and the divine beast bosses really fun to fight and easy to kill, but I am always getting murdered by groups of low level mobs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I cook a lot but am bad about actually stopping to eat it midfight admittedly, and I take so much damage that I can only tank about one hit before I should heal. I think the lack of armor thing is probably about 50% of it and the other half is me just not playing right.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Argue posted:

Because there is some precedent for this, I have to ask: did you find the combat tutorial shrine overlooking Kakariko Village?

Yup! That's why I really enjoy fighting the guardians and the ____blight bosses, parry and dodge mechanics are something I can wrap my head around. I will get some different armor and maybe just start avoiding poo poo, my goal is to do all the shrines and sidequests but I'm not loving around with the compendium or more korok seeds than I find just wandering around.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Why doesn't Nintendo just as a deadzone adjustment? I'm not sure how far out of the deadzone the worst cases of drift are, but letting people make the deadzone bigger would probably save them on at least a few repairs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheScott2K posted:

It eventually affects re-centering speed and overall responsiveness. The graphite dust just makes a drat mess in there.

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of longevity the Switch Lite has, it seems like they might be way less apt to fix a whole system for free vs. the Joycons but the optics on that would be so bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I work at a children's organization and basically it's just a cacophony of kids just saying "mood" to each other over and over again, it kicks rear end. This generation of kids is going to be the funniest by aggregate.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Dark Souls is not a JRPG but the Yakuza games are JRPGs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

asecondduck posted:

I was gonna make a shitpost about how being annoyed about a slow-rear end start that teaches you the basics of the gameplay in a RPG is stupid but you know what, you're right, the Witcher 3 does take an annoying amount of time to actually start.

So instead I'm gonna say that you should stick with it and if you aren't into it by the time you kill the griffin (probably about 4 hours in, depending on how much loving around you do) then you should trade it into GameStop.

The beginning of Witcher 3 annoyed the gently caress out of me because I first played it on PS4 before they patched in the alternate control settings and one of the first things you have to do is try to race Ciri which with the original controls really made me wonder what I had gotten myself into. It's still in my top 3 games of all time but my first impression was not great.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did anyone else happen to pre-order the Satisfye Grip Lite? I pre-ordered it in the bigger case bundle (admittedly like 2 days before the release date) but I haven't gotten a shipping notification or anything yet.

Also it occured to me today that I really want the Mass Effect trilogy on the Switch and now I've bummed myself out because that ain't happening.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I think you needed to buy the family online subscription to share the online access. I don't have a Switch at hand to check, but I don't think you can upgrade your subscription to a family one.

Nintendo actually recently made it so you can upgrade, and the price difference is roughly pro-rated depending on how far into your year you are.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there some kind of wishing well I can shriek into that will make m2 release a Sega Ages port of Phantasy Star 4? I just played through PS1 again and had the most fun I've had with it since I was 6 and scrawling maps in a notebook. I beat PS2 and PS3 as a kid too but I remember them well enough to know it's probably better to leave them as fond memories

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Sega Genesis Classics has Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 plus a bunch of other games. It's on sale for $15.

I think having a smoothness filter I can't turn off would make me insane

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Hat Thoughts posted:

u can turn it off

Oh cool! I was going by SeANMcBAY's post about it looking smeary, which I guess it might still without a filter if it doesn't scale right.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does the Starlink starter pack come with the digital versions of the toys that come with it? I have a Switch Lite so I can't use the controller mount with it. I could pair my wife's joycons with my Lite once a week to load the toys but that sounds annoying.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Since Disgaea doesn't really scratch the FFT/Tactics Ogre itch, is there anybody making that kind of game now?

I used to whine about games getting endless ports but the Switch Lite is so comfortable to play it's making me want to just throw money at companies to port things I've already played so, way to go capitalism I guess? Port War of the Lions you cowards

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Andrast posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's mark is a blatant FFT clone. The art style is pretty ugly but otherwise it's solid.

idk how good the switch version is though

Chill Penguin posted:

Into the Breach.

I will look into these! I have Into the Breach on PC where it didn't really grab me but it sounds awesome as a portable game. Again, capitalism, etc.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ouhei posted:

I would pay entirely too much money for a Mass Effect trilogy port on the Switch.

Hell yes. I've also bought the various Metal Gear Solid games too many times already and I'll loving do it again if the ports are good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It is stupid as gently caress that members of a family group on Nintendo Online can't play games bought on someone else's account under their own profile. That is all.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah I sure can't understand why Nintendo won't let 8 people share one game between them

I would get where you're coming from if that's the way it worked in any way at all. On my wife's Switch I can play all the games we bought on her account under my profile so that I can have separate saves. On my Switch Lite I can play all of her games if I use her profile, but not if I use my profile.

So, if what I cared about was sharing games with 7 other people I could do that poo poo all day as long as we used one account. All that Nintendo is stopping me from doing is accessing my own cloud saves that were made on her Switch because I can't use my own account to play the games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Not a Children posted:

A Robot Named Fight is $0.99 on the eShop and is one of the best values there if you like metroidvanias at all.

I disregarded this when I watched the launch trailer and it used the term "metroguelike" but at that price it sounds pretty good!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

katkillad2 posted:

It's easily the worst game of the series as far as I'm concerned in regards to the actual strategic gameplay. I'm not going to say anything bad about the sim/dating/school section, but it's the majority of the game. The actual gameplay was also the easiest in the series to the point where unless you play on max difficulty, the gameplay is more like a small break in between the sim stuff.

I kind of wish they would spin the sim stuff off at this point, it's sad we might not ever see a traditional Fire Emblem game at this point. Maybe they will reboot Shining Force :smith:

I'd voice my hopes for a new Advance Wars but a monkey's paw somewhere would curl up and most of the gameplay would be about picking whether you want Andy to gently caress Max or Sturm

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Spiteski posted:

If we could choose between Final Fantssy x/x2 and Final fantasy XII which would be better?
For reference I liked FF9, bravely default, dqXI and bravely second

X has a more traditional turn-based combat system (although not exactly traditional as it lets you swap out party members on the fly which is cool). XII has kind of an MMO combat system plus the gambits let you automate combat to a certain extent which sounds boring but is actually fun in practice. Based on the other games you listed I'd say X would be the better buy.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Spiteski posted:

That sounds like it might be similar to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 combat yea?
I definitely like turn based a lot but also didnt mind doing DQXI in pretty much automatic when grinding etc.

I honestly think X and XII are equally good games, so you can't go wrong either way. I don't know very much about XC2 but it does appear from videos to at least look kind of similar to XII's combat if that gives you a baseline.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How bad is the sound in Dark Souls for the Switch? I'm trying to decide if the portability outweighs it but if it's really really bad it might annoy me enough that I shouldn't buy it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wildtortilla posted:

I have a single Nintendo online sub. Now my wife is really into MK8 and wants to track her stats online. Also several of our friends suddenly have Switches. I'm thinking about setting up a family plan - does anyone know what would happen to the time remaining on my current sub? I'm assuming it would be forfeit.

If you upgrade your current online sub to a family plan they prorate the upgrade to some degree. They only started doing that as of the last month or so.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I'm still really reluctant to pull the trigger on Doom 2016 or The Witcher on Switch, because I can't believe they actually are good enough to be worth playing over the other console versions (though that would require me to plug in my PS4, which has been collecting dust for 2 years).

This is how I feel about Dragon Quest 11, I know the Switch version has way more poo poo but the PS4 version is so much prettier it's giving me pause.

Edit: actually I just looked again and the Switch one is not as much worse as I had in my head for some reason. Not sure where I got that idea but now I'm gonna buy the Switch one lol

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 22, 2020

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

HenryEx posted:

It looks pretty rough handheld imo, but it's fine on TV

Oh poo poo, I only have the Switch Lite.

I am wracked by indecision.

Also, Daisy is not in Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and if she's not in New Horizons I will not buy the game and will karate chop my Switch in half. Goldie is a poor substitute and I won't stand for it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

notthegoatseguy posted:

Thinking about becoming a 2-Switch household and wondering what are the thoughts on the Satisfye new Switch grip and the Switch lite grip. I have the old grip which still works great but was interested in seeing the additions and if they're worth the upgrade Any scratching complaints? Just looking for something for handheld and tabletop play when my girlfriend uses the TV.

I have the Switch Lite grip and I love it but it doesn't feel strictly necessary. It definitely is more comfortable but not by any huge degree as the Lite is honestly pretty comfortable on its own.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

SelenicMartian posted:

KRZ has unlocked.

I'm excited to see if the port is good. I bought the game once on PC but I'll probably get it again on Switch if the port's good just because I think I would like it handheld.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I had a lot of fun in Witcher 3 combat but it was mostly from breaking the alchemy system and just ruining massive groups of bad guys while hopped up on Witcher goofballs. The stuff that lets you get damage bonuses from toxicity lets you just destroy things and that stayed pretty fun for me all 100+ hours I played of the game.

I still think an alternate universe where CDPR ripped off Dragon's Dogma's combat would have been interesting.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 28, 2020

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mega64 posted:

Any word on if there will be a patch for TMS to remove all the anime?

Just hold your Switch while it's in sleep mode and stare blandly at it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I use save states on old games so that I can eventually 1cc them, I was never gonna beat Lightening Force as a kid when I only saw the last half of the game about a third of the time. I do think he's right in that kind of context but also who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am really torn on kr0, it seems like a game that would be fun on my Switch Lite with good headphones but I wonder if it would be better as far as ~ambience~ to play on PS4 on my TV with home theater