Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there a general consensus as to what 3rd party controller is a decent alternative to the Pro Controller? I was looking at the Pro A Wireless one on Amazon for $35ish. I tried an $18 wireless controller recently and the shoulder buttons were booty lol. Would ideally like to stay under $40 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

8BitDo's SN30 Pro + is considered the gold standard in third-party controllers and there's the added benefit of also being usable on PC. I haven't used it though, I personally have [url="https://"https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Magic-NS-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B079B5KHWQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2L0MEMV5Z63OM&dchild=1&keywords=magic-ns+adapter&qid=1613960213&sprefix=magic-ns%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-3"]one of these[/url] to use with my Wii U Pro Controller, though it's also compatible with all sorts of other controllers, like DualShocks and most DInput/XInput gamepads.

Oh poo poo, I never considered just getting an adapter. I have spare wireless 360 and DS4 controllers laying around doing nothing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

repiv posted:

DS4 is a good fit for the Switch because it has a gyro, and it works through the 8bitdo/mayflash adapters

go hog wild in splatoon

Dope! Good to know. Thanks :) Just ordered the 8bitdo adapter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

This one was good back in the day. A lot better than it had any right to be given people’s expectations coming from the Jedi Knight games.

I want an HD remake of Republic Commando so bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I picked up Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition earlier today. My first Switch game. Played it with my cousin who is currently quarantining with me. Game is fun as hell, lol. I know nothing of Zelda lore or what the story is, but drat the co-op combat/missions are super addictive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Are counterfeit microSD cards still a thing on Amazon? I'd like to expand the storage on my Switch since I couldn't have Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors installed at the same time, but I'm wary of what store/what I should look out for when buying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes they absolutely are. Only buy sandisk or samsung. Advice used to be make sure you were buying from Amazon direct and not third party sellers, but others say they mix the stock so they've still gotten duds, although personally I've not had any problems with the numerous sandisk cards I've bought. Don't bother with any of the official nintendo branded ones, and get a bigger one than you might think you need because space fills up fast. I just recently moved from my 200GB one to a 512GB one I got in a recent sale for ~€50.

Ok cool, good to know. Thanks! I was just thinking 256GB would be enough for me. Maybe I'll consider a 400+ card then, lol. I'll wait around for a Best Buy sale. :cheers:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gripweed posted:

You can't complain about the lack of good games if you haven't even played all the good games yet.

I just bought Bubble Bobble for $3.99 https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/aca-neogeo-puzzle-bobble-switch/

The OG puzzle shooter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

American McGay posted:

It also worries me that they made the decision because they didn't feel confident enough in delivering 1080p performance in handheld mode, which isn't a good sign with regards to the power bump.

Is it possible they maybe dumped beefier hardware in the dock? I'm ok with a 720p OLED display if games are able to stay locked at 60FPS (or higher) at that resolution when in handheld mode.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Why would Nintendo go with a more expensive display with higher battery drain, with the same resolution

One of OLED's benefits is power efficiency. Also, maybe it's a 720p 90Hz OLED display or something. If the hw spec bump is decent enough, I'd happily take gaming in 720p at a consistent 60 to 90 FPS over higher resolution for the handheld experience.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone thinking "locked 60 in everything" or "higher than 60 fps" in relation to a revised Switch is delusional

I'm just trying to justify the decision to stick with a 720p OLED display with whatever hardware spec bump nu-Switch has other than battery life.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

repiv posted:

4K docked doesn't necessarily mean 4K games in general, it could be an Xbox Series S type situation where the system can technically output 4K but games generally render at ~1080p with a native 4K HUD and menus on top

And yeah, I think the assumption is that new switch games will almost certainly be rendered at like 900p or 1080p in docked mode and then upscaled to 4K using DLSS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hatty posted:

Can you do DLSS on an ARM chip? Thought you needed the RTX cores or whatever. You can tell I know how hardware works

I'm making a lot of assumptions out of my rear end here, btw. That said, I think RTX cores are just for fancy lighting? Tensor cores are what you need for DLSS :eng101:

Me smart!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Odd Mutant posted:

this is such a breath of fresh air from the insane delusional self-hyping that you see from other places (coughcoughreseteracough)

Just shove a custom 7nm Xavier SoC into the nu-Switch, replete with tensor cores for DLSS! Done! Lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've never played a Metroid game. Why is there no Metroid game available for Switch other than the SNES one? :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who cares about Metroid when a new Monster Hunter demo is out in a few days and the game launching this month!!!

I have no interest in Monster Hunter :shobon:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wow, rude.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Trials of Mana looks neat, having never played a "Mana" game before. Is it good/worth? It's currently on sale in the eShop.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I think it is pretty great but not a vast improvement over the original (that's in the Mana Collection, also on sale.)

I made the mistake of making Angela my main character (like I did in the original) and she makes these squealing sounds when she jumps that make me want to play on mute.

How was performance in portable mode? Are framerate dips a concern since it's an action RPG?

Oh wait, there's a demo available, lol. I'll install and get a feel for it myself :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 11, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

404notfound posted:

I've just been going through it myself. Apparently there are harder difficulties on NG+, but the default hardest at "Hard" is pretty braindead easy. The only time I've wiped so far is on a boss who keeps regenerating himself if you don't destroy three things fast enough, and has an instant kill AOE ability that follows you around—and I only died to it because by the time I realized it was an instant kill, it touched all three of my guys and I wiped.

Combat is decently engaging, if a bit simplistic. With a dodge ability that can cancel any attack animation and AOEs that are telegraphed with expanding red circles, it's pretty trivial to avoid most damage if you're not being reckless. The biggest issue I've had by far is that the AI-controlled companions are just... bad. Despite having some fairly customizable behaviors, you should still expect a lot of menu navigation as you keep manually using their skills for them, since they don't do it as often as they should, and they don't do much to avoid to getting hit, which becomes a real liability in boss fights with hard-hitting attacks.

The camera also gets annoying as it doesn't move automatically at all, so I'm constantly having to nudge it as an enemy moves behind the camera, or else just swing blindly and hope I'm hitting it. The default setting is also really zoomed in, and the farthest zoom still feels a little cramped at times.

At risk of reopening this can of worms, story-wise the game also just feels really cringey with a lot of its shounen anime tropes. The chainmail bikini outfit design for the two post-pubescent female characters is pretty egregious at times, and the third girl who's a kid talks with an annoying Elmer Fudd speech impediment. There's a lot of cackling evil-for-the-sake-of-evil villains, everybody just seems pretty dumb/naive (why are the protagonists constantly walking into the villains' traps???), and the English dub is serviceable at best.

Honestly, if I didn't already have nostalgia for the series, and for the fan-translated version of this game specifically (who knew an official translation would finally arrive 20 years later?), I probably would have given this a pass.

Thanks for this! I'm really just looking to scratch an itch for a pretty looking, linear-ish action RPG with braindead but fun combat, so this sounds like its right up my alley! I also have no problem with cringey shounen anime tropes either, lmao. If I end up liking this game enough, I'll maybe pick up Collection of Mana at some point—which would be my first foray into the world of JPRGs :shobon:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Performance is great, a couple choppy spots but Gaijin Hunter says that has been smoothed out for the retail game.

Dope. Yeah, I ended up buying it. Gonna start my playthrough this weekend :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Monster Hunter is also just an extremely soloable game, I'm not sure how Rise splits it up but most of the previous games have two different quest hubs and progressions for single player and multiplayer, and I still mostly did the multiplayer quests solo if I didn't feel like getting online

Are Monster Hunter games story-driven? The quest hub thing makes me assume they're not. I always just figured MH games were like MMORPGs—a genre I've really only experienced through Guild Wars 2 for the last like 7ish years—which is why I never bothered to try. After watching a handful of Rise gameplay videos though, it's piqued my interest a little, but these days I'm looking to play narrative heavy games with good action/combat systems.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thanks for all the insight on MH. Think I'll just hold off on diving into the series for now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For now. I'll maybe pick it up if/when it goes on sale.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I have a large enough backlog of games I need to get through, lol; I can wait for MH Rise to not be $60. Finally started Route C in Nier on my Xbox and Trials of Mana on my Switch—both of those have me occupied for now.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 15, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Would it be a bad time to get a Switch Lite? My cousin is asking me, since Amazon has them in stock right now with a $20 GC promo. There likely isn't another Lite hardware revision coming out anytime soon, yeah?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Evil Badman posted:

There's always a new Switch revision.

There's never a new Switch revision.

If they're on the fence, just get one.

Lol, fair enough. He's gonna get that stimmy cash anyways. I'll urge him to make the purchase since he keeps reminiscing about Pokemon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I bought FF7 for my Switch even though I also have on my Xbox because why not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

japtor posted:

If I get MH it’s for the wirebug (which I’ll probably never get this good with):
https://twitter.com/PunkDuck_/status/1375198651664973825?s=20

Ok, that was pretty loving dope :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RCarr posted:

The pro controller is fine, what are you talking about.

It's overpriced imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SwitchU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SwitchNeue

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Len posted:

But the direct is tomorrow followed by preorders going live at midnight cst?

:confused:

Yeah what the hell?!

:thunk:

:razz:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The rumor suggests the system is capable of running games at up to 120 FPS on the 720p display, which doesn't sound too unreasonable tbh. Why else go with such a low resolution display anyways? They either want to hit certain battery life numbers in like an eco mode and/or obtain high frame rates in a performance mode or whatever, right? Please note I am also speaking out of my rear end, so don't take this post seriously.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mega64 posted:

I can see the difference in FPS tests, and I can see it doing regular computer stuff on my monitor, it just doesn't stand out for me in actual games. 30/60, I definitely see the difference in games, but 60/120, it doesn't really stick out in the games I've played.

Then again I bought a new PC, monitor, and 4k 120fps TV (and a HDMI cable that supports that) recently to experience some sweet loving graphics, yet the games I've played most on it so far are Monster Train and Subnautica, so take my opinions on the importance of graphics and frame rate with a grain of salt.

You need to manually set the refresh rate btw.

[edit] beaten

[edit] Also yeah, what GPU does your new PC have?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm fine with 720p OLED on the new Switch if it's also a 90Hz panel or above.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It's pretty obvious not a single rumor out of Nintendo has been true. I question whether or not Nintendo is really truly working on a updated Switch. They probably no doubt have a brand new console in the works at this point, but it's still a couple years away. It would not surprise me if there is no Switch refresh at all. Or if there were plans for it, it was canceled due to the pandemic, and Nintendo will just move ahead with a new console instead. I gave up thinking about Switch Pro after Nintendo made it clear they are not talking about it this month.

Gonna laugh when they announce later tonight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

American McGay posted:

I've got bad news.

:argh:

:negative:

a.lo posted:

Tonight? Thanks for the heads up.

Ayyy, np!

:razz:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time. I still have mine; traded in my N64 at Toys R Us to get it. Was fortunate to find out the model I got could play burnt games without any modding. Good times. It was the last console I owned before purchasing a Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao no it wasn't

Just my opinion. It having a modem for online play and keyboard support was pretty radical during the pre-PS2 era. Also VGA support; I remember hooking my Dreamcast up to a PC monitor and being all :aaaaa: The VMUs were also a neat, if completely out there, idea; I loved how you could use the VMU to select your plays in NFL 2K. Also no other console had offered near perfect arcade ports at the time.