Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Once I found out Dead Cells Review Guy had one of those youtube gamer chairs I was ready to have him executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The switch is a different animal than the 3ds. People aren’t clambering to play a grainy rear end game on a slightly larger screen. People want a Netflix machine that can conceivably play third party aaa titles with various effects unremoved and they want 4-5 hours battery.

For the life of me I can't figure out who these people are who don't have a way to watch Netflix

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

There's plenty of low-hanging hardware fruit to improve on the Switch that doesn't alter the platform for existing owners. Improved wireless performance, a gorilla glass screen, a non-poo poo kickstand, and a smaller bezel come to mind.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Two Beans posted:

This probably won't happen, as kids would crack the screen and cut themselves and parents would sue.

The kids all have iPads and access to phones, this isn't a thing

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The joycon rails put a pretty solid limit on how thin they could make a revised Switch, right?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Maybe a 400 dollar switch can do a lot more than the 300 dollar one? Why is it impossible to think Manufacturers now see a market for Switch size chips that didn’t exist a few years ago? Phones aren’t handheld consoles, they have to be small, have long battery life, have high end screens and cameras and speakers. The switch doesn’t need most of what a phone offers and provides ample room for larger components.

In the end Nintendo is a disappointing company so it’s likely this update is just minor inconsequential poo poo no one asked for, but it could be more.

So you don't know how anything at all works, huh?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

None of us knows how this will work but considering even a minor refresh was seen as “stupid and unlikely” I’m feeling pretty smart right about now. And knowing Nintendo I wouldn’t expect a cheaper version of an updated model but it could happen.

Who thought this thing wasn't going to start getting hardware revisions a after a couple of years on the market like literally every other Nintendo handheld?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Al Borland Corpse posted:

How could a child possibly break a piece of glass that was manufactured by a gorilla, the strongest and toughest beast.

I want an answer to this. Gorillas are so strong, as is their glass.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Have you been reading the thread?

Yeah. Have you been taking your meds?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think he's confusing revisions with people mocking those who say there'll be a handheld or console only switch that'll be as strong as the ps4 pro and run 8 hours and be XL and need new joycons or whatever mix of those crazy things some nerds want.

Yeah that seems like it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Ok I called the manufacturer. Some of their glass is made by Funky Kong and sometimes he's high as gently caress

New Funky Mode

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I mean, it's a fun toy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Looper posted:

expensive weddings are a scam and all those important traditional elements were made up not that long ago by people trying to sell a product

It's possible for someone to know this is true and for it not to make a difference

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

News flash to you people who want gorilla glass: a plastic screen is actually better, and $1000 phones should have them as the base layer too. Why? Because as soon as you put a glass screen protector over it you have the best of both worlds, and if you drop and crack the screen you just put a new glass screen protector on and you're good as new. But of course, phone manufactures want you to break it and buy a new one. In a perfect world phones would have a plastic layer and then a glass screen protector factory installed, with a couple spares included in the box. The way Nintendo does the Switch now is perfect because kids won't cut themselves and any adult with a brain getting a Switch for themselves gets a glass screen protector for $2 on eBay when they buy it.

Phone manufacturers don't need to do anything to "make" you buy a new phone as long as phone batteries keep hitting that 18-month wall regarding ability to hold a charge.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Andrast posted:

Can't most phones get a new battery installed for a smallish fee?

The actual replacement gets tricky when the thing is basically glued together

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Video Graves posted:

It will be called the Switch Extra Durable or Switched.

Swiitch

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

marriage licenses are $35, how in the gently caress do you turn that into something you have to "pay off"

bleep blorp what is this hu-man custom of "wedding"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Manticore posted:

I'm seeing a lot of outlets like CNET running headlines calling it the Switch 2, which... seems like a bad thing to do.

Why are you reading CNET like it's 1998

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Imagine buying a console in a stapled blisterpack

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope Shadow Complex comes out on the Switch so we finally have a Meteoidvania to play

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Is this year's Switch FIFA good or is it bad like last year's?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I got Lumines so my Switch is officially a bigass PSP.

In the Coming Soon section 2 things caught my eye - Project Highrise, the SimTower revival that my $40-for-Cities: Skylines rear end is an easy mark for, and a BattleZone revival. The BattleZone revival appears not to be a B98 revival, but rather original BattleZone. Looks neat and fun. Might get it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Finally everyone can shut up about YouTube not being on the Switch

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

One nice thing about YouTube on the Nintendo Switch Gaming And Media Consumption System is that unlike my phone or a traditional tablet there's places to grab it that don't obscure the screen. Nice for watching stuff in bed. Also the Purchased tab backdoors your Movies Anywhere digital copies of things, that's nice.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Best way to watch anything in bed, get a small projector and angle it to your ceiling. You can even dock your switch to it

Oh for sure man, definitely gonna do that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Takoluka posted:

I know someone who says he's looking forward to using his phone's mobile hotspot to watch YouTube on his Switch on the go.

Ok that's pointless

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Let me use my 1080p 5 inch screen's modem to watch poo poo on my 720p 6 inch screen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Who are these kid havers who don't have a foam-cased tablet

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CynicalThundercunt posted:

I hate my Switch. I love the console at its core and how much potential it had but bar BoTW, Mario Odyssey it has no big great games (even Mario Odyssey is questionable though) and it's already got a pretty good emulator.

It's a sad feeling it's like looking at that one crackhead heroin junkie who had straight A grades back in school but fell into an intense depression that ruined her life.

Definitely picking up smash for my boy Kirby though

Gad drat

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Switch games on sale means only paying what the price would normally be on another console what a deal

Edit: LMFAO $42 for Tropical Freeze. On Sale and it's more than it should have been at release

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 21, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Switch DOOM is 30 bux and PC Doom is 15

GJ Nintendo :argh:

Switch Doom been 60 this whole time, it is the gold-plated Doom

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fuuuuck, Katamari and Sega Genesis Classics drop on the same day

Katamari or Streets of Rage 2 is a drat tough choice

I love how the Switch is getting titles from every 16 bit era system but the drat SNES

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Super interested in seeing how my fellow "BoTW was my first Zelda" types react to Skyward Sword or TP

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish that a lot of excellent-but-unavailable games that hit XBLA back in the day were being re-released for the Switch. Ms Splosion Man reminded me of the following, which, as far as I know, you can't play anymore outside of XBLA (and maybe PSN, I don't know, didn't have a PS3):

Kingdom/World of Keflings
Raskulls
Ilo and Milo
Scott Pilgrim
Trials HD (though there are sequels, and the Switch needs one)
Age of Booty

Anyone else have any favourites from that era that you'd like to see on Switch?

Motherfucking Puzzle Fighter HD

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Or "derp-g," if you will

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Nintendo had a good Black Friday

"It became the best-selling Nintendo console in U.S. history for that five-day period, surpassing even Wii system sales. Nintendo Switch also had its best-selling week ever in the United States."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005283/en/Nintendo-Hits-Big-Milestones-Thanksgiving-Cyber-Monday

Kinda confirms my feeling that the $300 console-only SKU needs to either come down or include a game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

It broke record U.S. sales for the history of Nintendo systems. Doesn't that show the exact opposite? :confused:

No.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Maybe we can finally dispel the myth that Zelda and Mario are system sellers and acknowledge the one true god of Nintendo franchises is Pokemon.

Counterpoint: I don't like Pokemon

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

This thread is the only place where "the $300 console-only SKU needs revision if they want to keep growing the install base" is a controversial statement. Those analysts aren't saying "Nintendo is doomed," they're saying the launch phase is over, the market for the $300 console-only SKU is about tapped out, and to make their own install base projections they need to make some kind of move. That's correct.

A $300 BoTW or Odyssey or MK8 bundle would open doors to a whole new set of buyers, and the Black Friday numbers bear that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Grid Autosport was okay.