Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

fknlo posted:

I am not!

Are you confronting the two crossbow skeletons on the matter of being jerks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I kept resisting the urge to buy Okami on Steam when it was $11-$12 or whatever because I just couldn't wrap my head around drawing shapes with a mouse. Thusly I ponied up the Nintendo/console tax so I could play with the little joycons, though the DF port review said drawing with gyro aiming was still poo poo... I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Isn't the DS2 weapon degradation based on how many frames the weapon is intersecting with a wall or enemy? Because I recall Sinh being a right bastard for pole arms getting eaten up during co-op.

Sure it's weird, but you can hot swap between up to three weapons per hand, have repair powder, and free durability restoration at bonfires if the weapon doesn't break.

Super No Vacancy posted:

very sad to see dark souls posting ruin another thread in the prime of its life
I guess We are Legion. Sorry, mate :shrug:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Beastie posted:

My dude!

If you're even lazier, you can grind ~2000 souls, buy 20 firebombs (pretty sure they're 100 souls each), and I think that's more than enough to end him.

It's a favorite trick of mine when I co-op.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This seems a busier thread than the BotW one. The Kindle edition of The Legend of Zelda: Art & Artifacts is $6 today (so 7 more hours I think). I mean, it's barely above a PDF with jpegs in it, but the art is still nice.

The little $1 no-rush shipping credits work too if you have any (I only had one left sadly).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
RE: Budget games?!

I didn't see anyone mention Chu Chu Rocket. I think that was $20 at release.
Just adding to the fire that budget games have always existed, just not as often. Some historian could probably tie it to the cost of cartridge materials and the lower cost of CDs and eventual pure-downloads to the :words: :words: :words: :words:

So I went to Best Buy around 9pm last night (they close at 10p this week/end) to wander and see if their website was right or wrong about Bayonetta 2 being in stock and Mario+Rabbids being out of stock. Found nothing, window shopped a bit and went home. Picked up Mario+Rabbids on the eShop and downloaded that. 2 hours ago I rechecked BB's website and it still listed Bayonetta 2 as in-stock and available for pick-up, so I made an online order and had a mysterious $10 credit that expires on the 30th. No idea where the credit came from (online ordering incentive? It wasn't labeled or explained), but the game went down to $30 and no tax. Now I'm just waiting for them to find a copy for me to pick up.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Pirate Jet posted:

If I buy a $60 game on the eshop and pay with a $35 gift card with the rest on my credit card, do I still get the full $60+taxes’ worth of gold points?
I got 150 gold coins for redeeming the Bayonetta 1 code packed with 2.

My Sonic AGES review:
Having spin dash in Sonic 1 feels so weird, but I love it. However Marble Zone is still boring poo poo so I quit out after a few minutes of slow lava crawling.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I also got spooked by the "dock scratches screen" boogeyman. But the screen protector is only a few bucks per application and I'm still on the first one after a year since I play it docked mostly.

It might be a scam, but the screen is a plastic that feels soft so I didn't want to risk it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
R-Type Dimensions on Steam isn't even priced or unlocked yet, "This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour".

So in 7 minutes maybe it'll come out for both platforms.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:yikes:

So now that we've established nothing of use to anyone, on to my problem: I can't decide if someone who's never been that into Smash should buy a physical copy or digital copy in the eshop and get 300 coins for my gamble on it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Heath posted:

Is it worth spending 60 on a game you might like to save 3 dollars on a game you know you'll want?

I mean Smash is a pretty safe bet, but 300 coins isn't that enticing a bonus.

I makes almost no difference to me since I rarely if ever resell my games. Which is the root problem for me being indecisive.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
[Reaches into monitor attempting to strangle younger-self]

Since it was super-important and everyone weighed in: I went with Smash physical via Amazon.
I'm piggybacking off of a buddy's account for Prime shipping, but it turns out I still qualify for the $10 pre-order credit.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Let's see. What's missing from the other releases:

Ecco
Ecco Jr
Ecco Tides of Time
Eternal Champions
Sonic CD (For whatever reason the Steam version of this bundle has Sonic CD included in the $30 price tag)
Sonic 3+Knuckles
Wonder Boy 3
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Well, any that aren't on PS4/Xboner were smashed into the Steam release at some point it seems.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lodin posted:

Lol, I just found out something utterly hosed up about the Sega Collection on Steam. In the workshop people ar not just uploading silly hacks that let you play as Donkey Kong in Streets of Rage 2, but also fully functioning ROMs. I just played through the first two stages of Moonwalker and it works perfectly. How the hell is Sega not aware of this? :psyduck:

Brother, that's nothing. It used to have hundreds upon hundreds of ROM hacks and pirate games on top of...

[looks at Workshop]

Well, poo poo, this is how it used to look. They wiped out nearly all of these workshop games a year or two ago; were adamantly removing games that broke the ToS. Only fan translations, bug fixes, and sprite hacks were available for several months. The Wild West has returned! Which means I need to look for which game has Contra Hard Corps ROM this time.
So, Prime4 stopgap?

Please be real. I boxed my Wii back up and I was never able to properly rip an ISO of Prime Trilogy to play in Dolphin. Though, to be honest, I sort of never want to play Prime 2 again.

Me for 2/3rds of Prime 2 on Gamecube: "Oh look, another boss that simply runs screen left or right faster than the max turn speed and only stops to charge up their attack. So original."

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Someone in the awards show thread joked about a Big Daddy from Bioshock. I want all the mascots fighting on my Nintendo now.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Take2, you know what you must do. Big Sisters too, because they hop around like ricocheted bullets.

Got the shipping notification from Amazon finally. So between like 9am and 11pm Smash will be dropped off and stolen from my porch. Kidding about the theft, but usually large windows like that mean the package arrives the next day.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kart Barfunkel posted:

*pounding on table*

WHERE’S MY KATAMARI (please)

I MUST SAVE EVERYONE AS THE PRINCE, WHERE IS HE?!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It's on the European eShop at least. And for 20 euros, I think I'll pick it up.

What time of day did the shop update? I was skimming Reddit and saw a poster say that first-party games unlocked at midnight and the rest were usually the afternoon.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what's persona? And why is it good?
Shin Megami Tensei side-series about mostly high school kids solving murder mysteries (at least in the few I played), fighting with and against tarot card themed enemies. Moderately difficult, long boss fights, super-punishing elemental weaknesses that work just as harsh for as against you.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Snowmankilla posted:

Amazon hosed up my preorder for Smash. Said here by 8pm. Out for delivery at 1. Now says delayed until Monday. I’m pissed.

My delivery window was until 23:00 earlier this morning, but it just arrived at about 19:15. It's taking between 4 and 44 minutes to download a patch now.

I think it spent over an hour as the 3rd delivery stop in line, and isn't the first time something like that's happened.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Snowmankilla posted:

I will hold on to hope I guess. But it is 10:30.

No dice tonight?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

soggybagel posted:

I’m kind of hating the adventure mode or whatever it’s called in Smash.

:raise: :hf: :what:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Tetris 99 is the first Switch game to make me desire a larger D-pad on the left. Too often I tap up whilst shifting from right to left.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I also got suckered into the vouchers since it's $90 for $120 MSRP of games (Costco), and $5 worth of funny money for the shop.

I'll use it on two first-party titles since they rarely drop below $50. Probably Mario Maker 2 and... gently caress, I dunno, likely the opposite Pokemon version of my friend.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Haven't played T99 in a few months. Won't be unlocking this in the next 3 minutes :(

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh wait, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is being published by Nintendo. Awww man, doesn't that mean it'll follow first-party discount rules (10% if you're lucky) for the next few years?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I have two vouchers, but I earmarked them for Mario Maker 2 and one of the Pokémons.

Might get more vouchers in July.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Ah, good. The new Pokemon game is listed as part of the voucher system (as expected). That earmarks Mario Maker 2 and one of those for both.

Gives me 2 months to figure out if I want another pair or if that's enough games for now.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Len posted:

Don't you save literally no money unless you buy more than 2? Might as well commit to the savings

Nah, I'm one of the people buying point cards from Costco at $45 each. So it's $90 for $120 MSRP in games. I'm being picky about the games because I'm trying to use it for first-party games that Nintendo doesn't want to put on sale ever, making the 25% discount sweeter in context.

I'll likely get Animal Crossing at some point, but that leaves me fishing for one more game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Maybe you tag team her in to do the detective vision from the Rocksteady Batman games. It's been over a year, but wasn't she more of an archaeologist and historian than a fighter?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

John Lee posted:

Yo Hempuli, this is a public apology, back on the old VisuBlog forums I told you I didn't like Finland (???) because my girlfriend broke up with me and told me she was moving to Finland, but she was lying. Like weeks later I realized this was one of the stupidest opinions I had ever held and I must have had some kind of brainworms, I like all your games and you're a cool guy and it's bothered me ever since, okay bye.

:staredog::staredog::staredog:

Grabbed "A Robot Named Fight" after the Roguelike thread said it was $2. Here's hoping it's decent, but at that price I won't get too upset if it's not for me.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A Robot Named Fight is a bit rough on the edges, but it seems passable. Plus it was $2.
The controls and animations feel sort of bad to only slightly off, while unlocking items for later feels wrong to me. But I've only played for 15 minutes and died once to the rough angle shooting controls against the second boss I found. Will keep playing, but it's 100% indie-ghetto Super Metroid and that's still a decent formula.

Unlocked the Splatoon skin in T99 in like 30 minutes. Never got higher than 10th place, but was reminded I need to play this superb game more.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

bushisms.txt posted:

It might be because I actually kind of understand the game now but it felt way easier to unlock.

I forgot to look in on the Gameboy skin until like 10-15 minutes before the event ended, so I thought it would take an hour or two.

That said, the Gameboy skin is so much better than the Splatoon one :cry:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played Super Metroid in handheld mode.
2h17m in-game, 49% items, had to look up easy kill on Golden Chozo, forgot to get Plasma until after that, and used rewind at 2 or 3 places to avoid a corpse run.

Anyway, having select be bound the minus-button was loving awful and inconvenient. I'll try it with a pro controller later, and otherwise just want to get one of the SNES controller clones.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I used one of my vouchers on the game so I got to not be seen at Wal-Mart AND got a tiny discount. But it's not physical (and neither is my PC game library anymore) which many prefer.

Anyway, the crane game also gave me the most trouble when I picked up the shell. It rolled around with high kinetic energy far exceeding the visible input and fell out twice. The shield? No problem. Yoshi? No problem. Heart piece? no problem.

Also I killed the first boss, Moldorm, in two spin-slashes. That doesn't seem right. First hit was a normal solid hit on the weak spot. Second contact was while the weak spot was a different color, so I'm 99% sure it didn't count as a hit as Lunk bounced off and nothing flashed. Third contact and 2nd time the body flashed it just up and died :wtc:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The way the crane physics interact with the seashells in Awakening should be labeled a loving war crime.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've played the SEGA Collection on both Steam and Switch. I think it's within tolerance and plays fine.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
In the past week I grabbed Volgarr and Flashback for $1 each. Have both on PC, but... it's $1 each, you can't stop this train!

Anyway, I'll replay Flashback because it's god-tier to me, but after an hour or two of Volgarr I 100% remember why I tossed it aside like a step-child in the past.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Jet Jaguar posted:

That Suikoden clone Kickstarter is over a million bucks in one day.

Release the first games on Switch, Capcom. You cowards.

I guess the rights got shuffled around while the series died a quiet death.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never played a Suikoden. Which is weird because I heard the second one is a PS1 classic and I played a lot of the ps1 classics on the psp

Been a while since I played 2-4, but I did replay 1 on my VitaTV a year or two ago. They're mostly light-hearted JRPGs while the backdrop is topically about sacrifice and political betrayals. What I can remember anyway.
I think they're 20-40 hours each. Five says 70+ on the case so I keep putting it off.

The 2.5D with low res assets might be hard to adjust to 20 years later. Word of warning and a reminder it is PS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:psypop:

Quick glance looks like the game runs better handheld* (not docked, brainfarted as I typed) and has a softer image than the PS4, though you can just tell it to run at 720p docked too. If it's not coming to PC this is the version I'll be getting too.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 29, 2020