Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is new Mario Party worth getting? I'd need to get another pair of joycons also but have a bunch of friends that enjoy more casual games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Weapons breaking in BOTW isn't really a big deal considering there are always more good weapons to grab. Without the weapon degradation system, the game might be too easy. It's already easy enough once you get a handle on it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

For importers, the Kunio collection will have some English language capability

https://twitter.com/playasia/status/1053179002305871872

This also has Double Dragon 1-3 in it. I assume these are all the NES versions. Did they add online multiplayer to these or is it local only? Real tempted to import this.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

None of the REmakes play like 4, correct?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I found one of my old Wavebirds but haven't found the dongle. Is there anywhere I can order replacement dongles online at a reasonable price or am I out of luck?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Someone in this thread said youtube was on MoviesAnywhere and I got excited, thinking I could add that, and have all my movies on Switch. They still aren't unless I'm missing something. Really hope Switch gets 1 app that supports movies anywhere and netflix at some point.

This has turned into such a good system. I loved the Wii U and enjoyed all the first party games on it but it's nice for Nintendo's console to have too many good games to play.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Is there not a purchases option?

There probably is. I know I can watch movies purchased on youtube.

MoviesAnywhere is a service that let's you link many of the most popular digital storefronts so you can watch your movies across all of them. (example: connect my itunes and vudu account to moviesanywhere and I can see all my itunes and vudu movies from participating studios on either platform)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

asecondduck posted:

Add your Google Account to Movies Anywhere and your purchased movies will show up under the "Purchased" tab on the YouTube app.

Ah, thank you. I didn't realize that would work. I assumed despite Google owning youtube, movies purchased on googleplay and youtube weren't connected. Thanks!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Was about to pre-order Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu until I read the online doesn't have GTS or randomly battling with other players. I can understand no GTS since it's only the original 151 but no random battling killed most of my desire to get it.

Does anyone know if it has a decent post game?

Gripweed posted:

That looks really cool, although it's a shame the size of the areas is limited to the size of the areas in the old Game Boy games.

I'm not saying Pokemon needs to be Breath of the Wild, but something like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, where every town has a big open area just outside it, would be pretty fantastic.

Hopefully next year's mainline Pokemon Switch game does have bigger areas.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

There are no random battles and that’s what got me interested. It’s much less tedious traveling the world and capturing Pokémon. There isn’t a definitive version, just choose based on if you like Pikachu or Eevee more. You can get the other versions exclusives through trading or Go.

I would have been so much more likely to buy the Let's Go Pikachu or Evee games if they had made the map Johto + Kanto and not made the online options much weaker than the previous Pokemon games. I hope the quality of life stuff like no random battles is kept for the mainline game next year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, I really hope they keep visible Pokémon on the map for gen 8. Make everything else like it was in Sun/Moon, I just want that change to stay.

Same.

Does anyone know if repel is still an item in the Let's Go games? Seems like they would have to change what it does or just eliminate it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

How is Ark on Switch?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Sonic 3 is in weird legal limbo ever since it turned out that it was likely Micheal Jackson had something to do with the music.
I dunno if anyone actually knows if it's true or not but like renaming JoJo characters the mere chance is enough to put people off.

It isn't in any actual weird limbo. It's online gamer BS like when a bunch of NOA fans thought Earthbound wasn't being rereleased due to music copyright issues. If it were true you wouldn't currently be able to get Sonic 3 in the same collection on Steam or by itself on XBL.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What am I doing wrong with my 8Bitdo N30 Pro? I tried to sync it to the system and that didn't work. I then tried to do a firmware update for the first time, the usb update button is grayed out and I can't get it to work. (the control is blinking and I pushed L/R/start) I can't even get the control to stop blinking.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Heath posted:

Getting them set up initially is a pain. Make sure the controller is set to update mode. Look up a video on how to do it and follow it exactly.

I can get it in update mode by pushing L1+R1+start but the update program still won't give me the option to update the control. I want to say maybe the cable isn't good but that wouldn't make sense as it can charge with it. They were so lazy writing the how to text file for the N30 Pro 2 that it says to look for red flashing lights when it makes yellow ones.

There is no way I can recommend these controls over actual Nintendo ones.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Heath posted:

I think the issue is that they wrote it as if the light is alternating between two colors when it's actually flashing both at once, producing a third color.

Don't give up on it, they're amazing controllers, they're just stupidly hard to set up. I wish I could remember the exact setup process myself. I keep mine permanently tethered to my Switch so I don't have to set it up for a PC.

I want to like them but I'm probably going to send them back. I can't figure out why it won't let me update the firmware. If I can't update the firmware it doesn't work. In the new model they changed the control part of the cord to not be micro usb. I can't even test other cords because this.

I don't know what I can do differently at this point to try and get it working. Problems like this is why I only buy official controls. Guess I learned my lesson for trying a non-official one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Spellman posted:

Don't forget to make a Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner—they all have character slots on the character select screen

Also, you can unlock these characters by editing Mii Fighters in the menus. Does the Switch let you download Mii's via QR code?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

anyone here use the 8bitdo and a ps4 controller with their switch

thumbs up or down

You can use PS4 controls?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

How is the Genesis collection?

I have no nostalgia for Sega, would it still be enjoyable?

If you like beat em ups, Streets of Rage 2 is still worth playing. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a fun puzzle game. Gunstar Heroes is a fun action shooter. Sonic 2 might be fun if you like 2d platformers. I enjoy Toejam and Earl but that might not fun if you have no nostalgia. If you like JRPGs you may like the Phantasy Star games. Some people enjoy Beyond Oasis as a 2d Zelda style game, I have no nostalgia for it and could never get into the game when I got it for the Wii.

Maybe watch a few videos, it's hard to say how much you will like the games but depending on preferences some are still worth playing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Do games in the Sega Collection have online multiplayer? If so, is it easy to find games?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: should I buy an nes classic while they’re still available?

If you just want to play NES games and don't care about portability, maybe. If you like the game lineup or don't mind modding it (super easy) to have the entire NES library, yes. If you don't like the game lineup and are unwilling to mod one, no.

If you do get an NES classic, get extension cords for your controls.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Heath posted:

Where my Parodius Collection for Switch at

I tried the Parodius series for the first time this year and would be 100% down.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Anything I need to know or keep in mind when I start Octopath tomorrow?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wish they would hurry up and make a Mario Maker Switch. Mario Maker is easily one of my favorite Nintendo games. This reminds me...RIP Miiverse.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Gripweed posted:

The trainers have customizable outfits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s46efcroQ0

This owns, wish it had Miis though. I hope they eventually give us a sequel to Wii Sports resort but I doubt it after seeing this.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Me thinks Nintendo's fitness games died along with the late Iwata. During his time they had a health-driven initiative to build devices that measure your sleep and such, but they were quietly buried.

Rip Wii and Wii U fitness games. I lost a bunch of weight/stayed in shape with those. Will always be thankful they got me back in the habit of staying in shape. The Goon Wii U fit gym was great. Then slowly it just became me and one other goon until I stopped using my Wii U.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Did they every announce the Nintendo Network NES games for January?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

BOTW is one of the few games that justifies its open world and I enjoyed the hell out of it during my playthrough. I still need to go back and play the DLC. I started it but then put it down.

I like that the game gives you almost all of your tools right at the start; it allows you to solve problems in a lot of different ways, and theoretically allows for more robust puzzle design. I like the way the various world systems interact.

In practice I think the shrines fell a little flat. Too many of them were exactly the alike, and too many were overly simple. There were some gems, though. The load times were too long.

It's probably my favorite Zelda, though.

It's still my favorite open world game. Exploring feels so much more fun in BOTW than any other open world game I've played.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

I thought I read somewhere on these forums that most of the NSMB levels are actually designed by Nintendo interns, or hopeful interns. Basically the outcome of cheap easy labor by Nintendo.

I thought that was NSMB2. I enjoyed the Wii and Wii U NSMB. Changing art styles each game probably would have helped the reception the series received. After Mario Maker, all I want is another Mario Maker with more features. That game is so good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm hoping Gamecube but I'm sure I'll be disappointed.

Gripweed posted:

You know they said SNES titles were coming eventually at the beginning, right?

Didn't they say the Wii U would get Gamecube VC games?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I am not a Nintendo fanboy. NES and SNES games don't hold up at all, the N64 had one of the weakest libraries of any major video game console, the Wii had maybe a couple dozen good games and the Wii U even fewer than that. The Switch is literally the second good home console Nintendo has ever made.

This is terrible logic. You shouldn't be judging electronics from the 80s and early 90s on a modern standard. Those consoles were fantastic for the time. The NES brought the video game industry back to America. The NES and SNES were deemed by society to be so good that they made tiny versions decades later. All of their games might not hold up to modern standards but people still find many of them to be fun. This is evidenced by how well the mini Nintendo consoles sold.

I think Nintendo can always improve on things and am quick to criticize them. (Their online service is bad.) However, saying Nintendo has made two good consoles ever is one of the more ridiculous posts I've seen on this site. Are you saying the only good home consoles made by Nintendo are the Gamecube and Switch? If that was the case, they probably wouldn't be making video games anymore.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Imagined posted:

*Looks over at pair of 360 controllers I've used every day for a dozen years.*

I don't know a single person with a 360 that did not break.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Imagined posted:

Weren't we talking about controllers?

My bad I thought hardware in general.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's zero point to doing so considering they're ramping up to SNES games on the Switch. Once those start pushing out alongside some SNES Joycons, the SNES Classic's redundant.

unless you want a better tiny PSX.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

No Wave posted:

The mario mechanics have been similar for 20 years... It kind of shocks me that people still have an appetite at all for 3D platformer mario and Z-targeting Zelda games but people appreciate things differently.

But for HW musou is famously a genre where one day you hit a wall and never want to musou again so that's totally normal.

I keep trying to get into 3d Mario games. Despite owning every Nintendo console while they were current, I don't think I've played more than 30-40% of a 3d Mario since 64.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

People still buy Mario sport games?

This reminds me, why haven't they made another Mario Strikers or Baseball?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Pretty much every reason why I'm skeptical about getting it. I found Sun/Moon to be super easy and hand-holdy, and the post game content was the only part I really enjoyed. A friend told me there's no post game content in Let's Go, so once you beat it there's nothing to do.

I didn't get it for those reasons and they made the online much worse than Sun/Moon.

I wish they would add a difficulty selection in the mainline games. Would be fun to play a tougher Pokemon game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Old Grasshopper posted:

Metroid Prime Trilogy would be worth revisiting just because it wouldn’t have the motion controls in the third entry. Which would be a genuine gameplay improvement!

Why couldn't they use joycons for motion control?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

That was an awesome direct. Shocked they didn't show the Switch mainline Pokemon game that is supposed to be out this year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I had to watch the direct on mute. Is the new tetris game free, is not what is the price?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mario Maker 2 looks great. I assume they will still have the SMB1 graphics, hope they add SMB2 style graphics. If they keep the amiibo function in, it would own if amiibos work in all graphic styles.

This game better have a fake miiverse built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The next Zelda should be a remake of 2 but play like BoTW.